Long time McDougaller

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Long time McDougaller

Postby FranH » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:59 pm

I've been eating pretty close to the McDougall way for half of my 55 years now, and figured it's about time I share what I've learned.

I first read McDougall's books around 1984 or so - I believe there were just 2 books out then. My then-boyfriend was in training for marathons and started noticing that he had a much harder time completing his longer training runs when we'd eaten steak the night before. We started eliminating red meat during his training, and as we both paid more attention to what we ate and how we felt afterwards, we migrated to a plant-based, whole grain, no added oils diet over the next few months. We never made a decision to cut out any food forever, we just cut way back on red meat, then poultry, then dairy and eggs, then fish. We each went through an episode of trying to eat cheese again after going a month or so with no dairy - the way my stomach reacted took away any desire for cheese (including the "fake" soy cheeses) forever. Since we were both young and in good health, we had the luxury of taking the time to try different adjustments to our diet to see how we felt. We both ended up completely losing our taste for any animal products or any oily food.

Jump forward a decade or so, to where I'm in my mid-30's, still eating this way, and still healthy with a BMI of about 21.5. I met my now-husband who was about 40 lbs overweight and trying to get the weight off through sheer willpower. He started eating the same meals that I ate, but switched his nightly pig-out from a pint of Haagan-Daz to a pint of "low-fat" yogurt. I pointed out to him just how much fat was actually in the yogurt, but he stubbornly held on to his comfort food. The yogurt was deceptively labelled - it said "LOW FAT" in big letters, but the fine print showed that it was actually a combination of yogurt (which was low enough in fat to call "low fat") and a lot of other ingredients, most of which added fat or sugar. It ended up being very calorie-dense, with about 50% calories from fat and a whole bunch of sugar.

Even with the yogurt pig-out every night, he started dropped pounds rapidly. Once he hit a plateau, he cut out the yogurt too and the rest of the excess weight dropped off quickly. That was about 20 years ago, and he's now at his high school weight of 160 lbs. Meanwhile, sad to say, his younger brother never abandoned his southern fried diet, and died about 10 years ago of his 3rd heart attack.

So, jump forward again to present day. I'm about to turn 55, my husband is about to turn 68, and we are both in excellent health. He has some arthritis, but not debilitating. He lived a very hard life up until his mid-40's, starting with childhood abuse, followed by alcoholism, cocaine addiction, bar fights, physical labor, etc., so it is truly amazing to see him with no major medical issues beyond worn out joints. I have some disk problems in my neck from a career of hunching over computers all day, otherwise in perfect health.

When so much of the nutrition research started focusing on omega-3's and so-called good fats, I admit to getting a little concerned. I asked my doctor for a full lipid profile - I had only had my total cholesterol tested before. She told me my lipid profile is to be envied - she would love to get all her patients in such good shape. Total cholesterol=154, HDL=75, LDL=70. Apparently I am able to keep in HDL up and the LDL down, in spite of my alleged omega-3 deficiency :wink: She also tested my iron, b-12 status, and anything else she thought might be a problem with my diet. No problems found. The doc says don't change a thing.

I get into discussions online sometimes where I am told that NO ONE can eat more than 100g of carbs (any carbs) without gradually gaining weight and becoming insulin resistant. I tell them I've eaten more than twice that amount every single day for almost 3 decades now, and I weigh in at a whopping 120 lbs. I am usually met with extreme hostility after that. Which is a part of the reason I'm posting here now - it's one place I don't feel like I'm swimming against the current. But more so for others - I know there are a lot of people dealing with obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other serious conditions. I know that eating this way as a lifestyle, not as a diet, will help them. It takes time, and it requires paying attention to what's in your food and to how you feel. It does NOT require an absolute 100% commitment to never eat meat again, or to avoid every drop of olive oil. But as you cut way back on those things, you may find you'd rather eat something that makes you feel good.
~ Visualize Whirled Peas ~
FranH

Re: Long time McDougaller

Postby PotatoFiend » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:03 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! :)
PotatoFiend

Postby Lesliec1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:08 pm

I really enjoyed reading this and would like to know more if you want to share what you eat- obviously starches & veggies but do you eat a lot of pastas, nut milks, etc? I've been doing this for 3 months and I wonder what the tolerances of those "extra" foods are. Also, are you taking any supplements? Of course everyone is different but I'd love to know whatever you feel like telling.
Lesliec1

Postby FranH » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Oh, I'm always happy to talk about what I eat!

We are creatures of habit. Every morning, we have oatmeal with fresh berries and banana and a little maple syrup, a small glass of OJ, and black coffee (had to keep one vice...)

For lunch, I usually graze. I might have a piece of whole wheat toast with hummus or half of a baked tofu sandwich from our local health food store, and some baked chips or vegan potato salad, fruit, maybe a small handful of nuts.

Dinner is our main meal. We bake sweet potatoes every night, long enough to get them really sweet, and eat them plain, no added fat or sugar. The rest of the meal might be brown rice and stir-fried (in water, of course) veggies, or whole wheat pasta with veggies and tomato sauce, or beans and rice with corn tortillas and salsa, or a soup or stew made with beans and veggies. When it's hot outside and the farmers market is full of fresh veggies, I make a lot of green salads. Since we are both at a healthy weight, we splurge a little with almonds in the stir fry and avocados in the salad. On nights when I just can't cook, we still bake the sweet potatoes, and have an Amy's frozen dinner - not ideal, but not too bad for occasional use.

The hard part for both of us but especially my husband is the after dinner eating in front of the TV. Sometimes we get a package of Newman-O cookies, but it's way too east to mindlessly overeat them, and we've seen the results when we did that. Fruit works better - watermelon, cantaloupe, cherries, pineapple. And a little bit of dark chocolate is always fun. If it's paired with fruit, a couple of squares go a long ways.

I use nutritional yeast as a condiment, so I should be OK on B-12, but I take a supplement just in case. I tested very low for vitamin D so I added a D supplement and got my numbers in the normal range. And I take black cohosh for hot flashes and night sweats (menopause symptoms have been very mild for me, but are pretty much eliminated with the black cohosh). My husband takes glucosamine for arthritis, and I've started taking it too - mostly as a preventative for me.

Other than a little OJ in the morning, I don't drink calories. I drink water, a little black coffee, and herbal teas.
~ Visualize Whirled Peas ~
FranH

Postby Tiger » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:03 am

It's great to hear from a long-time McDougaller! Interesting how you experimented and gradually eliminated things from your diet - as you say, you were young and could take time to adjust what you ate based on how you felt. At 56, I figure I don't have that wiggle room - just rely on the experience of all those who got onto this diet before me.

The plant-based diet has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. It must have been more of a challenge a couple of decades ago. Given your and your husband's success, did any of your friends or family get inspired to change what they ate?
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby Katydid » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:40 am

That was fun. At my current BMI of 19 I'm thin as an Ethiopian. When I had a BMI of 45, I was heavy as a Malasian. Who knew?
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Lesliec1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks for all that. I'm encouraged because you basically eat the way I'd like to on a long term basis. (I wasn't clear on how much breads, pasta etc one should have.) At the moment I'm not well so I shouldn't have many "extras" but someday ...

Can you tell me about the black cohosh? Type, dosage? I too have very mild hot flashes so I'd like to hear about that.
Lesliec1

Postby Birdy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Fran I've been yearning for a post (or posts) like yours from longtime McDougallers. I've wanted to know that it really is possible to follow this way of eating for decades and remain healthy and happy. Your and your husband's story is not only inspiring but also interesting with the details. Thanks so much for posting!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby FranH » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Thank you! I am thrilled if I can help anyone even a little bit on their path to good health.

I'm not really qualified to talk about black cohosh beyond my own experience. I've never been a big user of either herbs or pharmaceuticals - I believe in lifestyle first, will check out other options if that isn't enough. I suspect my hot flashes have been mild because of my lifestyle, but when they were keeping me up at night I needed more. I knew I didn't want to go on estrogen replacement - I'd rather deal with lack of sleep - but I googled and found that black cohosh has been shown to have an effect, so I tried it. I've used whatever brand I find in the store at the doses recommended on the packaging. So far so good.

A few friends have seen our results and made some changes in their diet, a very few have become total converts. Many people tell me they were vegan once but it didn't work and they just NEED meat. I try to explain that it's not about being vegan, it's about eating healthy foods and avoiding unhealthy foods. But you know how it is ... people won't hear what they don't want to hear. My parents and sisters all went to Weight Watchers a few years back, and were surprised to see how well my diet fit into WW - almost everything I eat is either low in points or in the "all you want" category. Mom and Dad replaced white rice with brown rice and eat a couple of vegetarian dinners every week. They are doing pretty well for being in their early 80's.

In terms of how much can one get away with in terms of feast foods, I think it depends a lot on the individual and their goals. I have gone through times when I ate a lot of bread and pasta, mostly whole grain, and it didn't bother me at all. I was also pretty active at that time. I think I've just naturally moved away from flour now though - now I buy a loaf of bread, and end up throwing most of it out. It's also become harder to find real bread without HFCS, trans fats, and preservatives, so I just end up buying it less often (and only when I can find real bread - whole grain flour, water, yeast, maybe a little salt and molasses). I still eat pasta once or twice a week, usually whole wheat but sometimes not, with no noticable ill effects. I eat tofu, avocados, nuts, chocolate, and other relatively high fat foods, but in moderation and not every day.

If I was dealing with morbid obesity or facing a bypass, I'd go by McDougall's maximum weight loss plan and not waiver from it until my health was better. Once you are healthy you can see how much leeway you have, but if your skinny jeans start getting a little tight, back away from the feast foods! When I worked in an office setting, I'd have cake at the birthday parties to be socialable, eat lunch at restaurants where I could get a vegan, but not whole grain low fat, meal. I weighed about 5-10 lbs more than I do now that I'm more in control of my environment.

I've had to pay attention to my weight exactly once in the 20-something years I've been eating this way. About 12 years ago I did too much walking in cheap sandals, and ended up with plantar fasciitis which made it painful to walk. I became a couch potato, and at the same time started eating way more cookies (VEGAN cookies, but still...). After a while I realized half my wardrobe didn't fit anymore. I had gained about 15-20 pounds without even realizing it. I had to gradually work my way back up to walking without pain, and put away the cookies. The weight dropped right off and leveled off at a healthy weight.
FranH

Postby Birdy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Fran,
I have had plantar fasciitis for several months now and it's a drag because I can't walk as much as I would like. What did you do to resolve it and how long did it take? I've been to a physical therapist twice and have exercises to do and was told to ice it. She wanted me to come back for an unspecified number of treatments, but I just can't afford it at $100 per session. How did you gradually build your walking back up?
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Melinda » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks so much for posting this Fran! Very interesting and inspirational!
Melinda

Postby SweetPea » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 am

FranH wrote:I get into discussions online sometimes where I am told that NO ONE can eat more than 100g of carbs (any carbs) without gradually gaining weight and becoming insulin resistant. I tell them I've eaten more than twice that amount every single day for almost 3 decades now, and I weigh in at a whopping 120 lbs. I am usually met with extreme hostility after that.
I would guess that they think you are a genetic anomaly. :D

Fabulous to hear! I especially love the calmness that you and others who have been eating this way a long time (with great results) exhibit. Maybe that comes in part from believing in yourself and trusting what works for you. Thank you. :)
~♥~ It's never too late to go after what you want. ~♥~
SweetPea

Postby greentea » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:59 am

Thanks for sharing Fran! :)
greentea

Postby f1jim » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 am

I too am thankful for your post outlining your path to health and your current eating style. You give hope to many of us that this program is doable for the long run. Congratulations on your ongoing healthy and the desire to pass along your message.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby nicoles » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for sharing, Fran! Very inspiring story, and you were so generous with all the details :-D
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories