Autism Recovery using macrobiotic diet

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Autism Recovery using macrobiotic diet

Postby MacroAutism » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:29 pm

My daughter was diagnosed with autism when she was 20 months old. Since that day our lives changed dramatically and I commenced on a non-stop search for anything that could help her. I was frustrated that the treatments for autism are varied and there is little agreement amongst “experts” on the causes or the best course of action. I tried everything that I thought was harmless (GFCF diet, various therapy approaches, DAN doctors and homeopathic medicine). When I switched my daughter to macrobiotic diet, I saw significant and dramatic improvements in her behavior.

Preparing and serving macrobiotic meals was a time demanding process. Planning menus, buying ingredients, cooking, and training my child to eat new food was challenging and seemed impossible at first. But I found that it only took 2 weeks of persistent and patient "training" to get her to eat EVERYTHING on her new diet. Quite remarkably, two weeks after she was on the macrobiotic diet, I started seeing improvements!

I remember vividly the moment when she first looked at me. It occurred quite naturally and without me prompting her in any way. She kept her eyes on me for what seemed like an eternity. Earlier that same day, she was playing in our neighbor's backyard and looked back to see if I was watching her as she climbed the slide. This kind of connection that most parents take for granted was a fundamental shift in her life (and mine.) I will never forget those moments. Other aspects of her social development began to emerge quickly, such as joint attention and response to praise. She would even turn my head towards her and tell me, "Look at my eyes" when she wanted my complete focus on her.

My daughter is now six. She is a happy, sweet, loving, interactive and friendly kid. She attends a mainstream school where her teachers describe her as a leader, and someone who not only responds well in social situations, but will comfort others and help to resolve conflicts. She very social, has many friends, and is an absolute joy to be around. After being diagnosed with autism, I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams that she would be doing this well. I am a passionate advocate of the power of macrobiotics as a method of improving the lives of children diagnosed with autism. Macrobiotic diet is not expensive, and in my experience, the results are unmatched to anything else I tried. The diet does take time and patience, especially in the beginning. The possible outcome, however, is worth all that tremendous effort.

I recently started a non-for profit organization, Macrobiotic Autism Treatment. The organization exists to improve the lives of other autistic children and their families. You can find a detailed account of our experience on the website.

[email protected]
http://www.macrobioticautismtreatment.org
MacroAutism

Re: Autism Recovery using macrobiotic diet

Postby JennieZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:35 pm

This is an incredible story. I know a couple people in my neighborhood who have autistic children. I'll have to suggest this to them.
JennieZ

Postby Atheria » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 pm

This is a great story! I was macrobiotic-ish for a while in the 1990s and did well. I was actually thinking of going that route again since you can be a vegan macrobiotic person (some macros, as I'm sure you know, eat fish) and now that I'm anti gluten, realize that macrobiotics is not a fan of wheat and gluten containing foods. I still have an old wheat free tamari bottle in my refrigerator. Have you ever read actor Dirk Benedict's "Confessions of a Kamikazee Cowboy"? I loved that book. He's very honest in it about bodily functions and such. I'll post your site on my Twitter page.
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby nicoles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Wow, that is amazing! I am so happy for your success :-D

I have a few macrobiotic cookbooks, although I have never technically been macrobiotic. That is where I got a great recipe for a fake tomato sauce made out of beets carrots and squash instead of nightshades.

An art teacher i studied under told a story of becoming macrobiotic to cure his son of terrible allergies, which apparently worked excellently and the whole family has been macro ever since (that was the 80s)
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Melinda » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 pm

What an amazing story - thanks very much for sharing it with us!
Melinda

Postby Sistina » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:59 am

I just love a success story like that!
Sistina

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories