Lost 131 pounds in 13 months

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Lost 131 pounds in 13 months

Postby MixedGrains » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:44 am

Hey, Dlee, I just had a direct message from somebody else asking much the same thing. So, best answer both here.

How I'm doing ... it's still a few weeks until my next doctor visit, so no numbers except from my scales. Weight loss is still stalled; I'm still fluctuating around in that same band between (roughly) 350 and 370. Last week was 358, this week 368, next week probably somewhere between those.

I've been doing a lot better about the sloppy little off-diet extras, I'm back off caffeine and artificial sweeteners, I've managed to get rid of my peanut butter jar, and I have been especially good about not choosing potentially-oily vegetable foods in public settings. So, I'm feeling very good about my food choices and overall health, and fully expect to see my good blood lipids numbers returning at the next check.

My two remaining food issues are volume eating (especially in the evenings) and room for improvement in my dietary balance (I'd be better off with more produce and fewer starches). That last one is complicated by my economic situation (being very broke). When I don't have $300 in my pocket to make the long drive to the warehouse stores every couple of weeks, I end up shopping in local stores where there's less diversity of fruits and vegetables, and they are both less fresh and more expensive. So I wind up eating more beans and rice and potatoes and less fruits and vegetables.

Bah, everybody has problems. But I'm doing so much better than I was two years ago at this time, it's hard to get discouraged.
MixedGrains

Postby dlee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:43 pm

MixedGrains wrote:Hey, Dlee, I just had a direct message from somebody else asking much the same thing. So, best answer both here.

How I'm doing ... it's still a few weeks until my next doctor visit, so no numbers except from my scales. Weight loss is still stalled; I'm still fluctuating around in that same band between (roughly) 350 and 370. Last week was 358, this week 368, next week probably somewhere between those.

I've been doing a lot better about the sloppy little off-diet extras, I'm back off caffeine and artificial sweeteners, I've managed to get rid of my peanut butter jar, and I have been especially good about not choosing potentially-oily vegetable foods in public settings. So, I'm feeling very good about my food choices and overall health, and fully expect to see my good blood lipids numbers returning at the next check.

My two remaining food issues are volume eating (especially in the evenings) and room for improvement in my dietary balance (I'd be better off with more produce and fewer starches). That last one is complicated by my economic situation (being very broke). When I don't have $300 in my pocket to make the long drive to the warehouse stores every couple of weeks, I end up shopping in local stores where there's less diversity of fruits and vegetables, and they are both less fresh and more expensive. So I wind up eating more beans and rice and potatoes and less fruits and vegetables.

Bah, everybody has problems. But I'm doing so much better than I was two years ago at this time, it's hard to get discouraged.

How great to hear your progress Mixed grains. Thanks for responding. Sorry I just found your reply today. I've been busy so just found it now. Yes I know rice, beans and potatoes stretches the funds better.....is there any way you could grow a few greens like spinach or kale or leaf lettuce? They are super easy to grow. I grow a few things like that in pots....course I'm living in Mexico so climate is good and produce is super cheap to buy.I come home laden from the market with a few heavy bags of veggies and fruit for about $10. :-) Not bragging just lucky. Keep up your progress and see if you can get past this plateau. It happens to all of us at different levels.Just have to find the key.You're really doing great. take care dlee
dlee

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 pm

MixedGrains,
I just read all the posts and am so proud of your progress. I have felt overwhelmed by how much I have to lose and being older it just seems to be so hard at times to remain positive when the scale isn't cooperating like I think it should. I can't wait to hear more of your story and as you continue your journey and your interactions with your doctor. I have lost 35 pounds of the 150+ pounds I need to lose. Hang in there and always remember that while you are doing this for your health you are also an inspiration for many of us you are following your progress (even if we don't post very often). Thanks for sharing your story and letting some of us vicariously experience your success.
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby jewagar » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 am

Thanks for sharing your story, Mixed Grains! I wish you continued success. BTW, I think the dairy in your coffee might have made your cholesterol numbers go up. I have read other people's journals and they have written that that made a difference. It sounds like you already know what to do to lose more weight. I hope you keep at it and keep posting. I'd really like to hear if your dr's attitude towards your diet changes.
Last edited by jewagar on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want peace, be sure everyone's dignity is intact." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu
jewagar

Postby nancylouise » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:35 am

I am glad I found this account today. It is very encouraging!!!
nancylouise

Postby MixedGrains » Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 am

Hey everybody. I've been away from the forums for the last six months, but not away from healthy plants-based eating. My apologies to those who left nice and supportive comments more recently and did not get answers from me.

This last year has been a wild ride in my personal life with very high volumes of stress. I've done a good job of sticking with healthy foods, but made zero progress on addressing my volume eating, and exercise improvement has been minimal. Also, my alcohol consumption has gone up. So, the past year has not been about weight loss at all. For that reason I think I'm going to retire this thread and take my regular updates (if I keep making them, which I'd like to do) to a new thread, which I'll link to from here once I get it going.

I do have some good news and amusing doctor anecdotes to share, so look for that new thread soon.
MixedGrains

Postby ETeSelle » Thu May 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Love seeing the updates! You're a Star McDougaller in the making for SURE! :) Keep up the truly awesome work!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby MixedGrains » Thu May 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Thanks ETeSelle!

I think my situation is a bit too chaotic to ever be a star of anything and I'm not sure the good doctor's name needs to be tarred by association with my imperfect execution of (most of) his advices, but I sure don't mind sharing any successes for the encouragement of others. I'm particularly on a soapbox these days about the power of plant-based eating to "cure" diabetes (even if my doctor winces when I phrase it like that).

I plan to post my updates going forward here:

What 26 Months Of Plant Foods Have Done For Me (So Far)
MixedGrains

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories