sleep management

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby WishIWasInBuffalo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:05 pm

I too am wide awake after 4 hours of sleep. Pop out of bed, no fatigue during the day and when I lie down I fall asleep within seconds. It has definitely helped with my depression as not being to sleep the recommended 8 hours was increasing my anxiety. I was certain that something must be wrong me. Now I just enjoy my extra time.

MDW on the other hand needs about 9, so she needs more than twice the sleep I do.

Wonder if diet plays role? I follow the MWLP because I feel it helps with my depression and OCD except I don't eat the 1 cup of beans, instead I eat more starches. The more starches, the easier my mental health is to address. MDW follows the standard american diet. Maybe her body needs more recovery time?

I must also credit the simplicity. I have found that the simple I live, the easier it is for me to survive.
WishIWasInBuffalo

A dairy free diet makes one need less sleep

Postby Concerned » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:57 am

In my opinion, not eating dairy products makes one need less sleep.
Concerned

Postby ivy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:06 pm

WishIWasInBuffalo wrote:MDW on the other hand needs about 9, so she needs more than twice the sleep I do.

Wonder if diet plays role?

My SO can't function without lots of sleep, takes 2 naps every day....but she has sleep apnea and sleeps very poorly. We're the odd couple. I'm up all the time, she sleeps all the time. She eats SAD and has type 2 diabetes.

I suppose there is a connection between diet and sleep requirement....I'm pretty sure that Dr. McDougall has mentioned this....somewhere...but I don't recall if he explained why.
ivy

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:55 pm

great story, Ivy! my 15 year old daughter is a night owl and suffers with insomnia (and I"m not kidding...she really tosses and turns) The world is not set up for kids who can't sleep at night...in her perfect world, she would wake up at 1pm and begin her peak hours at about 4:00, and keep going strong until 3 or 4 in the morning. As it is, she has school which starts at 7:45, whether she was able to sleep last night, or not.

when I read Dr McD's article on sleep deprivation therapy, it intrigued me, and now your story.

question is, does it work if you are eating SAD or plain flat out junk? that's a lot of what my girl does eat, though she will chow down on my McDougall foods, as well. I'd love to help her get her full rest, and I'm pretty sure she's one who might not need as much sleep as she is getting. hm...

well, thinking out loud...maybe I can get her to eat more McD compliant if I bribe her with "it'll help your insomnia"

;)

HeidiW
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby ivy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:great story, Ivy! my 15 year old daughter is a night owl and suffers with insomnia (and I"m not kidding...she really tosses and turns) The world is not set up for kids who can't sleep at night...in her perfect world, she would wake up at 1pm and begin her peak hours at about 4:00, and keep going strong until 3 or 4 in the morning. As it is, she has school which starts at 7:45, whether she was able to sleep last night, or not.

This is actually quite common with teenagers. I have a teenager who does the same thing. When I get up in the morning, she often hasn't been to bed yet. During the school year, she manages by taking a nap when she comes home from school...so she ends up sleeping in two shifts. For a long time it was a battle to get her up for school but she's now 17 and gets herself up and out the door.

I heard a piece on the radio about this recently. With computers, cell phones, i pods, tv. etc, there is much more to do at night and teenagers are collectively staying up.

Think about it. When I was a kid we didn't have internet or dvd players. No one had cell phones so you couldn't call someone in the middle of the night without waking up the whole house. Most tv stations signed off at 11....hard to even imagine now. Teens still stayed up but there weren't that many enticements. All night talk radio? Late movie? Kids would get together to do homework after school. They still do but now it's often late at night via of phone and internet.

The radio piece was saying that getting teens into school early has become such a problem that a few school systems have started scheduling them later.

Our kid is big on junk food too. I'd love to get her eating the healthy stuff....like your daughter, she eats the McDougall food in addition to SAD and she loves all kinds of junk food. We got custody of this kid when she was 12, so it hasn't been easy.
ivy

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:15 am

Hi Ivy

Yeah, my 16 year old son also tends to stay up. The difference with my girl is, when she was little, not older than two or three, she was staying up. Seriously, I'd tuck her in, sing her a song, pray with her and go to bed. Next day, I would peek in on her, and she'd be completely zonked...in the corner of her room, where she had clearly busied herself after bedtime: pillow, blanket, lamp, stuffed toy...one time, she had done all of that in a box tipped over on its side...which also meant she had to have gotten out of her room to get the big box. And when she was an infant, she never did fall asleep while I rocked her.

so, I think I have a genuine night owl on my hands. She's nocturnal! ha! and she hates her insomnia...too bad there isn't night school for highschoolers! When she enters the job force, it'll be graveyard shift for sure. ;)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby ivy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:34 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:I think I have a genuine night owl on my hands.

Oh yes, she DOES sound like a genuine night owl! Night school doesn't sound like a bad idea. For another reason, they would need half the classroom space if they had two shifts.
ivy

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories