JULY 2019 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: JULY 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Starchyme » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:02 am

Sounds inviting! For what conditions do they use it? Lastly, where are they located? Thanks.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:05 am

Starchyme wrote:Sounds inviting! For what conditions do they use it? Lastly, where are they located? Thanks.

They are used primarily for relaxation, stress reduction and pain relief - similar use cases to massage or spa activities generally.

This is the spa I used - there seem to be similar facilities in many areas of the U.S. and other countries.

https://www.eastcoastfloatspa.com/
Mark Cooper

Postby Suey51 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:22 am

Congrats Starchyme on nearly 8 months of excellent maintenance - impressive!

Congrats Vic on last week's weight loss and being at maintenance!

Mark - the flotation therapy sounds lovely. So pleased it helped with your pain management :-)

Lindsey - hiking and trips to the pool sound great!

Erin - the Thai coleslaw sounds yummy - I'm going to give it a try! Good to hear the shin splints are improving.

It's been record-breakingly hot here in the South of England this week - up to 38 degrees yesterday. It's been difficult to keep cool and I'm relieved that the forecast for today and the coming week is about 14 degrees cooler. I've been eating more salads, less salt and have reduced the evening snacking. My weight is down by 0.4, which is 0.6 over my goal weight.

Best wishes x
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:43 am

Hi, guys, I' m happy to report I'm status quo this week. I'm trying something new. Staying away from the scale for 2 weeks and see how it goes. So will report back then. Wishing everyone continued success. Suey, stay cool!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 pm

I had a pretty great week for pain management, pretty mild most of the time. I'm starting the elimination diet on Tuesday when I touchdown in San Antonio, very curious to see if it causes any further improvement. I hope I still like sweet potatoes at the end of next week! :lol: My current BMI is 20.2, still following the 10pt MWL checklist each day.

Glad the temperature is getting more bearable for you, Sue! It is finally a bit more comfortable here in Princeton, New Jersey, as well. I'm sure Texas will be pretty hot, however.

It will be interesting to see how your experiment works out, Starchyme - I have really varied with weighing schedules - daily, once a month, once a week, etc. I've settled into getting on the scale once a week, just as a check-in since I'm not really trying to lose any more weight.

Wishing everyone a successful and healthful week!
Mark Cooper

Postby victw » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Weight is 134.4 Up .6 from last week.

There was less junk at work this week. But I went looking for it when it wasn't right besides me. I think I'm a little hooked on the sugar/fat again.

Still eating lots of veggies. Typical breakfast is a bean burger with carrots for snacking. And a fruit.
Todays lunch is a little bit of leftover chinese - kung pao cabbage with tofu added and some extra mushrooms. Went to buy some more fruit last night. Bummer - all of the stone fruits were pretty hard. Not really ripe.

The heat has made walking sporadic. I'm leading a hike tomorrow morning. If it's too hot we will shorten the distance. It has been great to swim in the heat.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Ejeff » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:45 am

Weight down 0.2 so no change really. I ate a lot of cabbage this week with the 24 carrot gold dressing. I used my mandolin to slice it nice and fine. It was handy to just grab from the fridge. My favourite lunch is still a Buddha bowl though. I made a huge batch of cauliflower cream sauce and had that over whole wheat pasta several times. I am still eating sweets can’t seem to stop! Need to get my head wrapped around that. I’m actually surprised I didn’t gain this week, but all the veggies probably helped. And I’m still eating far too much in the evening, sometimes I wonder if it’s because I haven’t eaten enough during the day, but I think it’s more from boredom. This week I will try something new. I will write down a couple very healthy snacks and I will allow myself just 2 in the evening. For example carrots sticks with hummus or an apple. I shall let you know how that works out. I just want to break this habit or eating and eating and eating after supper time. :?

Mark good luck with your elimination diet I will be interested to hear how it goes.

Victw we bought several peaches and nectarines this week and they are always rock hard in the store. They were all ripened and very delicious within 3 days sitting on the counter. We ended up getting a free honeydew melon and I let it sit for about a week. It was so nice and sweet also. And I usually don’t buy honeydew but maybe I will start to more often.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Ejeff » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:57 am

Oops weight is actually up 0.8. For the past month I jump between 107 and 108 so I guess that is maintenance. My goal is still to get that range a bit lower though. :D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Starchyme » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:01 pm

I've been wondering what leeway we have with maintenance on thi program. When I went to Weight Watcher it was up to 2 pounds. I've never gone over that since I reached my goal here. So I just went ahead and patted myself on the back! :-D
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:32 am

GAAAHH! Sorry for the late responding, everyone. I usually check the forum on my phone, but it's hard to type our replies to everyone on such a tiny screen, and I am finally getting a chance to sit down at the computer and write.

Sue - I hope you are getting relief from the weather by now. The heat waves this summer have been rough. Stay cool!

Starchyme- Best wishes while avoiding the scale, feel free to still check in and just say "Hi" if you like.

Mark - Enjoy your trip to Texas and trying out the elimination diet. Can't wait to hear an update when you get back!

Vic - Those treats can call your name from across the building! It's a tough habit to break, one that I still struggle with as well. Kung pao cabbage sounds scrumptious. Did you make that yourself? We've been going to the pool quite a bit as well for relief from the heat, too.

Erin - You make the best recipes! What do you put in your Buddha bowl? I was doing that at the beginning of summer, but pure lack of time has us munching on veggies, pretzels and hummus most days. Your evening snack plan sounds very doable, keep us posted on how that goes.

Starchyme brought up a good question about what exactly is maintenance. Jeff has recommended it be a buffer of 3-5 pounds (2 kilos). It's nice because an extra salty meal can cause the scale to temporarily read up a couple pounds, but that will go away after a day or two. It's really about overall trends. To use me as an example, I have been around 111-112 this summer, but got down to 109 when I did the 21 day challenge, and have bounced up to 114. Consistently, most days, I am at 111-ish.

The August maintenance thread is up and ready for you to check in Friday, August 2nd (or Saturday, whatever works for you!).
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Starchyme » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:02 pm

Wow, I'm doing better than I thought if that be the case. I'll weigh in tomorrow and then hold off homefully[i][/i] fir 4 weeks. Wishing everyone a fabulous McDougalling week coming up!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby victw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Oops - this should go in the August thread. Posting there also.

134.2 Still in good range. Which always perplexes me when I feel like I ate so much junk. I am getting veggies.

This morning was an oat bean burger. And some mini peppers Lucky for me I found some sugar snap peas that my husband forgot about.
The fridge is now clear. So need to do some shopping.

The kung pao mentioned before - I get that from the local chinese. It probably has too much oil. I get it to go. At home I measure out the rice and cabbage. And I add baked tofu. It turns out when you don't stuff your face. It's really 3 servings and not just 2. :)
Looks alot like Jeff's healthy plate.

I suppose even though I still struggle with the sweets I'm eating more veggies than I have before.

I'm watching the iThrive videos. They keep talking about fatty liver for "skinny" people. This has me wondering - how would I ever know if I had a fatty liver. And even though the weight is holding steady - I still know I'm eating too much junk.
It's easy to see how people go off plan - the head chatter is ridiculous.

Still enjoying my swims in the heat. Hikes have been shorter.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Previous

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories