JULY 2019 Maintenance Thread

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: JULY 2019 Maintenance Thread

Postby Ejeff » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:59 am

Week was pretty good. I made that 24 carrot gold dressing it’s is so delicious I will be adding it to my regular rotation. Also made Sunburgers which are basically boiled oats and other spices, so easy to make and they freeze well. Weight down a tiny bit. Still had too many sweets need to stop that. Did have a lot of nice fruit including grapes and nectarines. I feel like I haven’t been eating enough potatoes lately so will have more of those this week. Lindsey, you do so well following this program with a busy family, I truly admire what you do! I had 3 small children at one time and sometimes it’s makes my head spin just thinking of how busy it was. And we were just a typical SAD family back then so lots of eating out. Of course wish I had known then what I know now. Have a great week everyone :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Suey51 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 am

Sorry for the late post this week.

Weight on Friday was the same as last Friday but 7 day average was up by 1 pound - yikes! Overall, food intake was too high in calorie density so I plan to work on reducing that. Also, some off-programs items were brought into the house by others and instead of chucking/hiding/ignoring them I ate them. Still, they're gone now!

Best wishes x
Suey51

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Mark - It is so true that going to work is easier than managing the house. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but truth be told hanging around adults all day and having breaks is a fond memory! Your idea of doing the elimination diet while on vacation sounds genius. That will keep you fed simply while on the go. Keep us posted on the float therapy, hopefully it is beneficial.

Starchyme - HAHA, McDougall's Revenge is real! Wishing you the best this week.

Vic - Great tips regarding the soup cups. I've tried a few, and they've all been good. What's your no bake oat bar recipe?

Erin - Sweets are a tough one to avoid. Do you have any McD-approved favorites? With all the produce in season it's a feast of fresh fruits and veggies to enjoy!

Sue - I find the mantra "If it's in your house, it's in your mouth" so true as well. At least they're gone now! :)
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Suey51 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:07 am

Weight today is 0.8 down on last Friday, so 1 pound above my goal weight. Trying to be more diligent regarding calorie density, salt and after dinner snacking.

Lindsey - hope you've had a better week. No holidays for us over the Summer months. Now my step-children are out of school, we tend to go away in the winter months. How about you? Do you have any holidays planned?

The past few weeks have been a joy being outside in the warmer weather, walking and gardening. We are starting to harvest potatoes, curly kale, chard, cavolo nero, green beans, carrots, beetroot, parsnip, lettuce, radish and soft fruit from the garden and allotment. Many of my lunches and dinners have been fairly plain - rice or potatoes and veggies - but yesterday did roasted root veg, roast cauli, bulgur with mixed roast veggies, green salad and hummus.

Also, had a day out for my step-daughter's graduation this week which was lovely :-D

Best wishes to everyone x
Suey51

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 am

Those roasted root vegetables look absolutely amazing, Sue!

This was a decent week for pain management, not the best, but also not too severe - I'll call that a win! I'm looking forward to my first float therapy session this Sunday and trying out the elimination diet at the end of this month - keeping my fingers crossed that either or both are effective.

We've been enjoying sweet corn, rutabaga, peaches and berries this week. Yumm!
Mark Cooper

Postby victw » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 am

Weight 133.8 Which is .6 down from last week.
So that's maintenance.

Veggies this morning were jicama and carrots. Finally picked a good jicama after 3 bad ones in a row. Not sure how to get better at picking the jicama.

My afternoon fruit will be cherries.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Starchyme » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Gosh I didn't realize it's weigh in day already. I got back to my goal weight so I'm a happy camper. Happy McDougalling weekend!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Ejeff » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:48 am

I agree this week seemed to fly by. Lindsey, I can honestly say I have never really looked for McDougall approved baking recipes, I just modify any recipes I find. This week I ended up with rhubarb so I found a recipe and substituted half a banana and some applesauce for the oil. It was a very delicious cake, I made 2, one with almonds and one with coconut and I love anything with coconut. I also made Jane Esselstyn’s Thai coleslaw yesterday. I would never have thought to combine salsa and peanut butter to make a dressing. It was very tasty and I will definitely make it again. It’s a great way to incorporate a lot of cabbage into the diet! Guess if I stop baking I will stop eating sweets haha. I also made the veggie burgers that my hubby says are the best, they are made with ground up sunflower seeds, ground oats and lots of veggies. This next week no recipes planned so will keep it simple and try to use up some stuff in the pantry. Shin splints are getting better now that I’m walking less. Will need to ease back into it. Weight today 107.2. I noticed for the past 4 months my range has been 106 to 108, so at some point I will drop to a new range of 104 to 106. At least that is what I would like to see happen. Goal again for this week, more fruit and less other baked sweets. Hope everyone has a good week!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Starchyme » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:12 am

Hey, I just realized I'm coming up (Aug. 12) on 8 months maintenance with only a 1-2 lb gain once that came off by the next weigh in or two. I'm loving the program even more than I did when I began 23 years ago, with a little going off the path for several months at one time. Today I am a very happy McDougaller who is very grateful to Dr. McD, Mary, Heather, this thread, and all the rest who have crossed my path and helped me in my health-supporting lifestyle.. Wishing us all continued success.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:42 pm

That is really excellent maintenance, Starchyme!

My float session was really great, very relaxing and definitely helped to moderate my pain. It is not a magical bullet for my CRPS, but it absolutely reduced the overall severity for the day. I will almost certainly continue to "float" periodically - the spa is just 10 minutes from my home.
Mark Cooper

Postby Starchyme » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks, Mark. "If at first you don't succeed, try try again" is a little saying my dad told me all the time. It' paid off, finally, after McDoualling 23 years! I just can't see myself embracing any other way of eating for life ever again. It is so simple now.

Congratulations to you, also. I don't know what 'floating' is, but I am happy for you it's working.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Sue - Your garden sounds amazing, with all sorts of root vegetables. And that picture made my mouth water! I do not have any trips planned for this summer, lots of trips to the pool and hiking in the woods. We tend to travel in the off-season as well.

Mark - I looked up float therapy, and it sounds wonderful. It looks like there are lots of locations that provide the service. Sorry to hear the pain was a bit more this week, but glad to hear that floating helped. Did you float in a room or small pod? Was it completely dark?

Vic - Jicama is one of those foods that you don't know are bad until you cut them open, it's so disappointing when that happens. They are perfect in summer, though, so deliciously crunchy and just a hint of sweetness.

Starchyme - I love your story about starting over two decades ago, and where you've gotten to with it. I feel like to many people will give the program a week or two, and if it doesn't magically erase all of their concerns that instant they throw in the towel. You've shown that the secret to success is time + adherence. Are you thinking about submitting a Star McDougaller story? Congrats on reaching that next milestone.

Erin - I made the Thai coleslaw, too! We had our monthly pitch in this weekend and I was inspired by the youtube video, so that's what I brought. I thought a little sriracha was a nice addition, it's a good recipe and easy to put together. The dressing sounded so odd that I had to give it a try, and you're right, it somehow works. Glad to hear the shin splints are on the mend.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Starchyme » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 am

Thanks, Lyndzie. Maybe some year I'll write my story. I play it over and over in my mind; but have a writer's block when it comes to getting it written.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:21 am

Lyndzie wrote:Mark - I looked up float therapy, and it sounds wonderful. It looks like there are lots of locations that provide the service. Sorry to hear the pain was a bit more this week, but glad to hear that floating helped. Did you float in a room or small pod? Was it completely dark?

It was a room, and the option for different colored lights was available, but I chose to be in complete darkness - it was interesting , so dark that there was no difference between having my eyes open or closed and the temperature of the air and water is basically the same as body temp. I would definitely recommend that it is worth trying the experience for almost anyone, VERY relaxing.
Mark Cooper

Postby Starchyme » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:01 am

Sounds interesting! For what conditions do they use it for? Also where are they located? Thanks.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories