10 years this week!

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 10 years this week!

Postby f1jim » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:52 pm

I also encourage you to send your story to Heather. You have no idea how many people may be impacted by this decision. We are all in this together.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: You have made my day

Postby johnled » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:31 pm

John McDougall wrote:The greatest rewards in life come from helping other people.

Thank you for making me feel worthy.

Also, I would very much appreciate sending your story out as a star mcdougaller. Please write [email protected].

John McDougall, MD

I will do that, I've thought about it many times and just never took the time.

Thank you Dr. McDougall for your life saving information and tireless work!

Thanks to everyone for the great replies!!
johnled

Postby Lesliec1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:26 am

Just found this thread. Amazing! You are a Star McDougaller! Did you send your story yet?

One question: A lot of us RA people had to do an elimination diet to find triggers. Did you have to do that?
Lesliec1

Postby johnled » Mon May 02, 2016 6:46 am

My dad died unexpectedly right before I posted this then after posting a cousin killing himself, followed by a brother in law unexpected death then just a few days ago a good friend fell to his death, 4 deaths in 80 days. I've never considered myself to get stressed over things and do not feel like I have over all of this but something has rekindled my RA. Traveling, being gone for days in hotels and eating bad vegan food as well as breads, very little pies, cake, cookies (never any meat or dairy that wasn't cooked in cake, etc), funeral food, I've been lit up with RA. I've not had a pain free day for a few weeks. No horrible bed fast pain like ten years ago but more than enough to know it is working on me. So much for Star McDougaller! I'm back on the proper WOE but if this doesn't reverse soon I may go to Dr for a shot of steroids. Thanks for all the kind words!
johnled

Postby johnled » Mon May 02, 2016 7:11 am

Lesliec1 wrote:Just found this thread. Amazing! You are a Star McDougaller! Did you send your story yet?

One question: A lot of us RA people had to do an elimination diet to find triggers. Did you have to do that?

I found Mcdougall before being diagnosed and had, overnight, dropped the SAD and went to steamed potatoes & carrots, ate them for weeks then added beans and rice. I've lived on beans and rice ever since. I keep it very simple, my wife eats her vegan way and I eat mine. I do not do any of the recipes because I do not want to be in the kitchen. The simpler the better for me.
johnled

Postby guitarplayer007 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:15 pm

johnled wrote:
Lesliec1 wrote:Just found this thread. Amazing! You are a Star McDougaller! Did you send your story yet?

I found Mcdougall before being diagnosed and had, overnight, dropped the SAD and went to steamed potatoes & carrots, ate them for weeks then added beans and rice. I've lived on beans and rice ever since. I keep it very simple, my wife eats her vegan way and I eat mine. I do not do any of the recipes because I do not want to be in the kitchen. The simpler the better for me.

How do you steam potatoes?
Thx
Ken
guitarplayer007

Postby johnled » Mon May 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Just a steamer my wife had. Nothing special.
johnled

Postby John McDougall » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:00 pm

You are welcome.

Spread the good news.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby beachkat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:53 am

johnled wrote:My dad died unexpectedly right before I posted this then after posting a cousin killing himself, followed by a brother in law unexpected death then just a few days ago a good friend fell to his death, 4 deaths in 80 days. I've never considered myself to get stressed over things and do not feel like I have over all of this but something has rekindled my RA. Traveling, being gone for days in hotels and eating bad vegan food as well as breads, very little pies, cake, cookies (never any meat or dairy that wasn't cooked in cake, etc), funeral food, I've been lit up with RA. I've not had a pain free day for a few weeks. No horrible bed fast pain like ten years ago but more than enough to know it is working on me. So much for Star McDougaller! I'm back on the proper WOE but if this doesn't reverse soon I may go to Dr for a shot of steroids. Thanks for all the kind words!

I'm so sorry for all of the losses you have had over the past several months. I think that stress and bad food is a perfect storm combination for anybody living with an autoimmune type disease to have a flare up.

How are you doing now? I hope that returning to a rice and beans diet has helped. Is there a reason you stopped the potatoes and carrots, or is it just you preferred rice and beans?
beachkat

Postby Amoux » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:27 am

What a wonderful testimonial this is. Thank you so much for sharing it.

My sympathies on your several losses - that's a lot of stress for anybody.

Hope the flare-up is now under control or resolved, and that you're feeling better.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our chance to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

Viktor E Frankl
Amoux

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:16 am

johnled wrote:10 years ago this week I was diagnosed with one of the worst cases of RA the doctor had ever saw. RA was in almost every joint in my body, I spent weeks in bed, could not do anything for myself. I was told I'd be medicated for the rest of my life, face multiple joint replacements and be in a wheelchair in 5 years. I discovered McDougall a few weeks prior to being diagnosed and immediately stopped meat & dairy and started a diet of steamed potatoes & carrots two times a day and a smoothie (I know, not McD) for breakfast. I was able to drive myself to the Dr after a few weeks on the diet. Anyway, long story short, I got the bad news ten years ago this week and have been medicine and symptom free for the past 9+ years! Thank you Dr. McDougall!

Why oh why is this not a headline in every major newspaper???
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby johnled » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:13 pm

[/quote]
I'm so sorry for all of the losses you have had over the past several months. I think that stress and bad food is a perfect storm combination for anybody living with an autoimmune type disease to have a flare up.

How are you doing now? I hope that returning to a rice and beans diet has helped. Is there a reason you stopped the potatoes and carrots, or is it just you preferred rice and beans?[/quote]

Thank you. I had ate beans and rice twice a day for several years, never tired of it but for some reason I decided to switch to potatoes, both white & sweet organic. I don't think the potatoes are the problem. I've been eating a lot lately. I feel OK as long as I'm taking Advil but by 3:00am I am hurting. I'm pretty close to being on the elimination diet. I'm having oatmeal from breakfast and potatoes twice a day.
johnled

Postby Risto » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:53 am

So sorry for your losses. I hope you'll get the RA under control. You have very impressive discipline with your diet. I, too, happened to have four deaths in my family, including a suicide, but it was over a period of two years ending last October, not 80 days. I still felt like we were arranging and going to funerals on a regular basis, and it did throw my diet and exercise routine for a while. It's a lot of stress even if you don't always feel it consciously.
Risto

Postby johnled » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:10 am

Risto wrote:So sorry for your losses. I hope you'll get the RA under control. You have very impressive discipline with your diet. I, too, happened to have four deaths in my family, including a suicide, but it was over a period of two years ending last October, not 80 days. I still felt like we were arranging and going to funerals on a regular basis, and it did throw my diet and exercise routine for a while. It's a lot of stress even if you don't always feel it consciously.

Thank you. One of my four deaths was also a suicide, a cousin.
johnled

Postby Atheria » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:53 pm

I love hearing success stories like this where someone chooses to help his/herself! Congrats on your accomplishment! Let food be thy medicine.

In Light,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories