this works...

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: this works...

Postby hazelrah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:36 pm

graciezoe wrote: People say women in menopause can't lose weight or they lose very slowly; I'm proof that is not necessarily true, you have to find the right plan.

Yeah, one of the most amazing things of the whole process is how, after hearing from so many people how you can't lose weight after 40, how well it can work. I lost a lot of weight in my early 20's ( like a 100 pounds) through a lot of running and a Pritikin type diet, but for most of the loss, I think the change to this lifestyle, with a moderate exercise plan in my 50's was a lot easier and worked just as well.

Congrats!

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby graciezoe » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:50 am

May I ask..how much fat are you eating? Zero? I do not mean oils but plant foods that have a bit of fat like an avocado for example. Did you eliminate those completely?

I eat pretty close to zero fats. I gave up my addiction (trigger) foods such as natural peanut butter and raw nuts, I could never stop at a small amount!! I've never had an avocado so that was easy to give up the nuts were very difficult.
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

Starting weight on 3/2014 was 304 lbs
Weight as of 4/2016 is 114 lbs
graciezoe

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:52 am

Zero ADDED fat, perhaps, but all food contains fat. Oatmeal is 20% fat, in fact! Even kale has fat.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby scooterpie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Shall we "unbury" the lead? Yes, let's do that.
graciezoe wrote:I'm a soon to be 54 year old woman, who on May 1st, 2014 weight 304 lbs. I was sick and tired all the time, I started to research different eating "programs". Through Happy Herbivore I found Dr. McDougall and Dr. Bernard at PCRM. I utilized the two sites and printed out the programs and recipes and I now weight 182 pounds. I have a ways to go but for the first time I feel in control. People say women in menopause can't lose weight or they lose very slowly; I'm proof that is not necessarily true, you have to find the right plan.

graciezoe wrote:UPDATE
As of last week's weigh in I'm down to 137.2. My BMI is 22.1, I wear a size 4 jean. I'm very happy and feel fantastic. I know some on this site would still classify my weight as high but I feel I'm at a great weight for my size frame. I think people like Dr's Barnard, McDougall and Esselstyn are saving lives...mine included. On Dr. Esselstyn and Barnard's sites I showed my before and after pictures along with my blood test from last month and the feedback shows me what a great community we have. All my previous health issues are gone and my Dr. is very pleased. My chart reads managing diabetes and HBP with diet, no medication needed. I love the food I eat and don't feel deprived at all. The only issue I have are with a few friends that call me food choices strange, as in "I'm sure what ever food you bring to the picnic will be strange" I'm not sure what's strange about vegetables, grains and starches but whatever.

Excellent--keep up the good work!
scooterpie

Postby graciezoe » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 am

Thanks scooterpie :D
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

graciezoe

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm doing a happy dance for you! Great job!
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby Ejeff » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:03 pm

I would just like to confirm that this WOE does work. I am 52 and have followed the plan for about 7 months. I have lost about 20 pounds and eat so much food. I haven't been 100% compliant more like 90% and it's usually the eating out that is difficult. I used to exercise a lot (spin classes at the gym), but I haven't been exercising since I started this and have still lost weight. I just walk the dog a few times a week. I am planning to start swimming once a week as I still need to get stronger and would like to shed some more fat. I am excited to have found Dr. M as I feel confident that this is a way I can eat for the rest of my life and still enjoy food. My goal is to stay healthy and active and avoid cancer. Both my parents died of cancer in their mid 60's and I believe that by avoiding animal products and oils that I will significantly reduce my risk. I haven't posted often, but do follow the forum so that is you to everyone for sharing and encouraging!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby JaniceYvonne » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:46 pm

That is a massive amount of weight to loose!! So please share with us, what a day of eating looks like. Thanks!
JaniceYvonne

Postby graciezoe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:59 am

My menu doesn't vary a lot at breakfast and lunch. Every morning I have either steel cut oats or rolled oatmeal with some fruit added. Lunch is a baked potato with 3 bean veggie chili, homemade or a corn tortilla bean wrap with a salad or a sweet potato and a salad.
Dinner is varies,
Monday I had roasted potato eith asparagus, sweet potato spinach burger and steamed chard
Tuesday, I had Japanese sweet potatoes, engine 2 veggie pizza, 2 corn on the cob.
Wednesday, I had Hawaiin purple sweet potatoes steamed, butternut squash roasted and a bean burrito bowl.
A HCLF Vegan.

graciezoe

Postby Janet-C » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:22 pm

It does work!
Janet-C

Postby Kadje » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:55 pm

I would love to see your pictures, too! :nod:
Kadje

Postby Kristopia » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:48 am

graciezoe wrote:My menu doesn't vary a lot at breakfast and lunch. Every morning I have either steel cut oats or rolled oatmeal with some fruit added. Lunch is a baked potato with 3 bean veggie chili, homemade or a corn tortilla bean wrap with a salad or a sweet potato and a salad.
Dinner is varies,
Monday I had roasted potato eith asparagus, sweet potato spinach burger and steamed chard
Tuesday, I had Japanese sweet potatoes, engine 2 veggie pizza, 2 corn on the cob.
Wednesday, I had Hawaiin purple sweet potatoes steamed, butternut squash roasted and a bean burrito bowl.

Wow - you are my inspiration for losing weight on this plan! I've lost about 4 lbs total in two weeks, but have NOT been sticking with plan (compromising on too many "party foods" and picnics with dishes that included cheese and oil). Thanks to your words here, I know this can work and am determined to stick! :)
Kristopia

Postby graciezoe » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:36 am

I just put before and after pictures on McDougall Friends Facebook page. I've been happy with my health and success but not so much with other peoples responses. I've gotten flack from friends about my weight loss in that they feel I'm too thin and that the food is too restrictive, they say they are concerned??? Now I kind I've expected that from SAD people but when I posted my pictures on a McDougall Facebook page I don't expect some people to say I need to eat more. People did defend me on the page but still. I'm a size 2 or 4, depending on brand of clothing and a BMI of 19.2, which is in the healthy range. I eat when hungry and stop when comfortable full. I usually eat 3 meals and a snack of fruit each day.
B: steel cut oats, pumpkin, banana
S: apple
L: mixed greens, brown rice, black beans, steamed sweet potatoes with flavored balsamic vinegar
D: roasted fingerling potatoes and asparagus, steamed chard, a sweet potato spinach burger, pinto beans
A HCLF Vegan.

graciezoe

Postby jsmo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:29 pm

graciezoe wrote:I just put before and after pictures on McDougall Friends Facebook page.
Did you take it down? I went to offer support and couldn't find the post.

Congrats!!
Living and Loving Plant-Based.
http://plantbasedkitchenadventures.com/
jsmo

Postby graciezoe » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:51 pm

No, it should still be there.
Last edited by graciezoe on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
A HCLF Vegan.

graciezoe

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories