November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:08 pm

November 2020 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Welcome to the MWL Group!

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:36 pm

November is here! Let me offer a warm welcome to all our current and continuing MWL group participants! If you participated during the previous month and would like to continue for November, you are most welcome to do so and there is no need to take any further action. If you are a new entrant and would like to join the group, please thoroughly review the Orientation Information, and follow the instructions for registering your participation.

The paramount requirement for this group is to commit to follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss program as defined by the MWL Guidelines and the MWL 10-Point Checklist. We don't expect perfection, because making these changes in behavior is extremely difficult; however, the intent of participation for the group is important - are you willing to make an honest attempt to follow the guidelines as intended, and keep trying to work toward improvements when you are struggling? If so, you are in the right place, no matter what your starting point is, and how much (or little) success you may feel you're having at the moment. Intentionally planning NOT to follow the guidelines, or not attempting to make changes in the appropriate behaviors when needed, however, doesn't serve the individual participant well, nor is it good for the group as a whole.

Additionally, if you choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in and behavioral assessment, we expect you to observe the timeframe and context, as outlined below. Weigh-ins are on Friday; participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the weekly summary, or receive replies.

Please post your report in the following format -

• Weight change +/- in lbs
  • Assess the week in regard to each of the recommendations from the MWL 10-Point Checklist, at least in brief.
  • Feel free to elaborate on specific points from the MWL Checklist where you succeeded and /or those that need greater attention, if that feels appropriate and applicable.
  • Victories, comments, concerns, questions
You are welcome to make use of the template below when composing your weekly report.

Template for Weekly MWL Weigh-In and Behavioral Assessment
To apply this template, use your cursor to highlight all the text in the code box, copy it (on most systems you can do this with a right click & copy, or Ctrl+C on the keyboard) and paste the text into your own post (right click & paste, or Ctrl+V). Feel free to add bold text, italics, underlining, &c, if you feel it would be helpful in communicating your assessment.

Code: Select all
Weight change +/- in lbs: 

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. Eliminate any added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Thank you in advance for your participation, cooperation and kindness! Let's make November another excellent month of learning, growth and progress!
Mark Cooper

Re: November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Veganjo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:00 pm

Please sign me up for November MWL!

Thanks!
Veganjo

Postby emmycaitlin » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:00 pm

I'm going to try this again. Please sign me up for November!
emmycaitlin

Postby oneesotericgirl » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:56 pm

Hey Mark!
I'm back again for November after faltering greatly in the end of October due to emotional issues. I'm hoping to get back on track and love the encouragement in this group! I'd like to be added to the weigh in group this month!
Good luck to everyone!

Keep Moving Forward
oneesotericgirl

Postby Noella » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:36 pm

Hi Mark,

Yay! A new month and so many new opportunities to learn and gain more expertise with MWL!

I am looking forward to continuing with the Maximum Weight Loss weigh-in group for November. I have reviewed all of the orientation materials and resources once again, as these help me to focus and adhere to the guidelines. I feel excited and enthusiastic about being here this month because I know that I’m getting healthier each month. I can see and feel improvements in my health!

I’m not sure if I could do this on my own. I greatly appreciate the focus on healthy nutritious eating that the McDougall MWL teaches. I appreciate that this weigh-in group provides so many links to resources and information. I learn so much. Thank you so much for your support; I am confident that you are always there whenever I have a question or worry that needs resolution.

Thank you! It’s the absolute best to be here, learning from you. I learn so much from reading the experiences of each participant, too.
Best regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Noella

Postby wavingwheat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:45 am

Hello Mark and everyone
I've been completely de-railed the last 3 weeks but am now back on track. Started the month at 159 lbs. I anticipate a lot of stress during the next two months and need to stay vigilant. Will check back in on Friday.

Carol
wavingwheat

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:49 pm

Veganjo - You are certainly welcome to continue from October. :) If you haven't already, please do be sure and review the post above, discussing reporting expectations and the information that needs to be included.

emmycaitlin - Welcome back! Be sure and check out the Orientation if you feel in need of a refresher.

oneesotericgirl - Glad you have returned! Today is always a great time to get back on track!

Noella - Cheers for a new month filled with new opportunities! :D Thank you so much for your kind words.

wavingwheat - Hello, Carol! Those weeks of "derailment" are never very fun, but I'm delighted to see you here and back on track! The more you can plan in advance, and prepare to navigate the stress-filled months ahead in a manner that serves your important goals, the more attainable success will feel. See you on Friday!
Mark Cooper

Postby moonspirit » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:19 am

I would like to sign up for November. I participated in this group 2 years ago. I have read the guidelines and am signing up for the full deal.

My goals are to drop some weight while addressing hormonal issues as I go through menopause. I just turned 54, and seem to have numerous hormonal issues, probably exacerbated by carrying extra weight and eating too much (veggie) fat. I do eat a WFPB diet, but I would like to get strict about fats for the next few months. I will be starting Wednesday.
moonspirit

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:53 pm

moonspirit - Hi! I remember you from back in 2018; I'm glad to see you posting again! MWL seems like a great way to pursue those goals. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby josietheschnauzer » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:14 pm

Thank you, Mark! I look forward to MWL online again.
josietheschnauzer

Postby Artista » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:42 am

Hi Mark, I would like to join you all for November. I haven't tried to follow MWL since the end of last year. I found it challenging then but got to where I was hitting most of the 10 point checklist most days. I'm hoping I can jump back into it. I listened to the video of Andrew Taylor speaking at the last Advanced Study Weekend and found it very inspiring, so I decided to give MWL another try. Thanks for moderating the group!
Artista

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:59 pm

josietheschnauzer - I'm really looking forward to November, too! :D

Artista - Hi and welcome! Be sure to review the Orientation information, if you haven't already done so. This month seems like a great time to bring MWL back into your daily routine. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Expat in NZ » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:52 am

Hello all! Sorry I was MIA - just had the chance to post. We have been travelling around NZ and I will not be home until next week, and I have had no access to a scale so just letting you know I will be back soon!

I have been doing the best I can with eating, cooking my own food whenever possible etc but my goodness is it hard to eat vegan in this country haha - I end up eating whole grain bread with jam more often than I would like. There is meat or eggs in EVERYTHING! My clothes do not seem to be fitting tighter so fingers crossed that I haven't gained much!

See you all next week :)
American Expat, wife, mom of 2, weightlifter, foodie
Started McDougall June 2020 - 93kg (204.6lb)
Aug 1 2020 - 87.9kg (193.4lb)
Goal weight - 60kg (132lb)
One day at a time!

Expat in NZ

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Expat in NZ - Enjoy your travelling, Lindsey!
Mark Cooper

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program