Limited Meal Times, MWL Group + SOUP!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Limited Meal Times, MWL Group + SOUP!

Postby taymariekay » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi guys!

I first want to say that I’m so grateful for this site and for Jeff, Mark, Goose and everyone who takes the time to answer questions. I haven’t actually been posting much lately, but I’m constantly perusing the forums and there’s always gems of info that are so helpful. I just can’t thank you guys enough, especially since it’s the sole place for me to go to for support.

Anyway, I’m feeling so thrilled because I’ve finally taken the time to make soup and it’s helping me do MWL! For backstory for those who don’t know, MWL has been a serious struggle for me because I know deep down I need it for my success, but I have a hard time digesting lots of vegetables so I keep falling off. But I’ve realized I need my vegetables to be very (VERY) well cooked to be tolerable. So soup to the rescue! I’ve also been steaming my vegetables far longer than usual and that’s also been helpful. I’m not sure if I’m killing the nutrients in them more but it’s kind of my only option so I’m not sweating it. More important to eat them.

I think I feel more equipped to do MWL now that I feel more comfortable eating vegetables and I would like to start back up in the group. Do I wait until November and just post on my food journal for now?

Also, my main question is about my meals that I eat at work. I get up early and don’t eat my first meal until I’m at work because I don’t have time, plus I’m not hungry before going into work. However, that means my first meal is during my 15 min break (sometimes I have to push it 5 min more to finish my meal even though that’s frowned upon!). Then, lunch is 30 minutes which is better, but still not a comfortable amount of time to eat a full MWL approved meal.

So, my first two meals are too time restricted for preloading soup/salad but I still do 50/50 plate for breakfast (half fruit, half oats), and same for lunch (half veg, half starches). Is this okay for MWL and group guidelines? I know Jeff, Mark and Goose are tightening up the rules (understandably so) and I want to make sure I am 100% compliant. On days off this isn’t a problem for obvious reasons.

Thanks everyone <3 <3
taymariekay

Re: Limited Meal Times, MWL Group + SOUP!

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:45 am

taymariekay wrote:So, my first two meals are too time restricted for preloading soup/salad but I still do 50/50 plate for breakfast (half fruit, half oats), and same for lunch (half veg, half starches). Is this okay for MWL and group guidelines?

From my perspective, there is a difference between doing the very best you can, within the spirit of the MWL guidelines, but being subject to a particular (somewhat immutable) set of circumstances that make "perfect" adherence to every recommended behavior unobtainable for the moment; as opposed to, intentionally planning to include higher fat, calorie rich, ultra-processed, or otherwise troublesome foods, especially on a habitual basis. The former scenario is applying the principles, as written, to the extent they can reasonably be applied to a given situation; the latter is adjusting or "tweaking" the recommendations to suit one's personal preference, which is where problems lie. Jeff's discussion of the preload concept in this post, gives a sense of the perspective to apply.

I would say, proceeding as you describe is completely in keeping with the spirit of the group. :nod:
Mark Cooper

Re: Limited Meal Times, MWL Group + SOUP!

Postby taymariekay » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
taymariekay wrote:So, my first two meals are too time restricted for preloading soup/salad but I still do 50/50 plate for breakfast (half fruit, half oats), and same for lunch (half veg, half starches). Is this okay for MWL and group guidelines?

From my perspective, there is a difference between doing the very best you can, within the spirit of the MWL guidelines, but being subject to a particular (somewhat immutable) set of circumstances that make "perfect" adherence to every recommended behavior unobtainable for the moment; as opposed to, intentionally planning to include higher fat, calorie rich, ultra-processed, or otherwise troublesome foods, especially on a habitual basis. The former scenario is applying the principles, as written, to the extent they can reasonably be applied to a given situation; the latter is adjusting or "tweaking" the recommendations to suit one's personal preference, which is where problems lie. Jeff's discussion of the preload concept in this post, gives a sense of the perspective to apply.

I would say, proceeding as you describe is completely in keeping with the spirit of the group. :nod:

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much for clarifying! Always so helpful!
taymariekay

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program