Just starting MWL...but with a lil more knowledge this time!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Just starting MWL...but with a lil more knowledge this time!

Postby ngtskylvr » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:07 am

[color=#FF00BF][/color

I guess I should introduce myself. To maintain some autonomy, i'm ngtskylvr as my user name and brand new to MWL. Perhaps I should start at the beginning...I've long been a Swank dieter for my MS. 31 years ago to be exact, I was given a virtual death sentence. Then I learned of and saw Dr.Roy Swank, professor of neurology at the Oregon Health Sciences University. He completely saved my life...his words to me, "If you do as I say, you can lead a normal life". WOW!!!! And I have. I saw him as my neurologist for ten full years...he taught me not only the DIET, but the LIFESTYLE mod's that were absolutely critical to recovery. I did them all and soared above anyone's expectations.

Over time, I leaned more and more into the plant based way of life and read more and more and more about Dr.McDougall. WOW!!! Another super hero of mine- this was all things Swank except for the lifestyle, which I learned from Dr.Swank. I knew for instance that the rigorous gym habit that I'd used to lose 80 pounds prior to being diagnosed, had to end. That habit, brought on five exacerbations in six months!!

That new habit helped me to not only quit smoking, as the reason I began, but to lose 80 pounds that had vexed me my entire adult life. Even as a chubby child, I was miserable because of it. Long story short, I've picked up apx. 15 pounds over the years and want it gone NOW. WW ...for years, helped but I could not reconcile with what I saw as the typical WW meals. Firstly, my Swank diet, extremely low fat (compared to what I grew up with) and the knowledge I'd gained in reading Dr.McDougall!

So here I am...after much indecision...Starch solution?? MWL?? Regular McDougall program? What to DO??? Played with all of them for a long long time. Finally, I was inspired tremendously by Esther Lebeck Loveredge's journey. She lost a tremendous!! amount of weight and began a FB page. All on MWL. I re read the book, found inspiration on other FB pages (by now I'd started my own Swank group) so I jumped in! Not only is it going to be a positive with my health, but maybe finally I'll drop these extra pounds once and for ALL. The thing that truly concerned me...a big difference in Swank vs McDougall, the amount of oils in the diet. Dr.Swank said...we need his patients do, a certain amount of oils, nuts or seeds every day to maximize our energy stores. He felt that when you reduce the saturated fats (critical to controlling MS) to almost none, you must supplement with good oils. MWL has...none. I was scared that my energies were going to plummet. :( I'm going on 64 years of age...I'm a role model for so many in my global group...my goal is to maximize my HEALTH before I turn 65. 14 months away. I so want to do this!!!!
I keep my group strictly SWANK to honor and preserve my hero's lifelong commitment to this cause, and plant based came along muuuuch more long after his passing. I feel it'd be more than acceptable to him, as long as we get some OILS (through whole foods of course) in the mix.
I'm going day to day here...this journal's going to really help I feel. So far, i'm four days in and feel very very good. -4.9 pounds in four days.

I just began on Monday. Weigh in every couple of days...though I'm not perfect yet on the diet, I'm losing!! WOW!!
ngtskylvr

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program