October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby CindyD » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:55 am

Female, age 51, 5'8"
SW July 6, 2020: 211.7

Oct 23, 2020 166.7
Oct 30, 2020 164.7
Result: -2.0

10 Point Checklist: Nine great! But,
6. Eliminate any added oil. I ate about 2 tablespoons of store-bought hummus (with soybean oil and tahini). I tried some oil free hummus from Whole Foods but did not like it, and need to make my own. In the meantime, I've been roasting chickpeas for salads and they are excellent that way. (A bit of tamari, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric and curry powder, 20 min at 375).

I would just like to say this forum is an island of calm and reason in a wildly stressful few weeks (months, years) for the US. Sticking to this program makes me feel positive and hopeful when those things seem otherwise in short supply. So thank you again everyone, especially Mark, wildgoose, & Dr. Novick. You are appreciated!
CindyD

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:49 am

-2.2 from last week
-10 for October
I did pretty good on all the points this week. I’m still working on not overeating at dinner. I learned how hard it is to stick to the plan when out of town with no kitchen, but I resisted so many temptations when my husband had them. I did have vegan pizza one night and a vegan waffle one morning and I’m sure there was some oil in some of the restaurant food, but I read the menu carefully and opted for fresh fruit and skipped things like added sugar and syrup. And most importantly after the weekend I got right back on track and I kept up my exercise the whole time. I appreciate all the advice and motivation!
Rebecka22

Postby curcubit » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:59 am

Last week 202.0 This week: 200.8.
Lost 1.2 pounds, but it was painful! There were some white knuckle moments, especially in the evening. I keep waking in the middle of the night with a gnawing hunger. Which vanishes by breakfast time interestingly. But I can see now looking back over the month, experiencing that means I am loosing.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. I find at breakfast I am just not hungry enough to do this. I just eat my regular savory oats or now favorite: potato with red pepper carrot sauce and air fried broccoli. Lunch and dinner, yes.
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Yes
2) Choose fruit for dessert. Yes.
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Yes, with exception of dribbles of low sodium Tamari with some vegan sushi.
4) Eliminate all animal foods. Yes
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Yes
6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. I had two slices of genuine Bavarian organic pumpernickel “bread”. 83 calories per slice. Fat 1 gram, carb 17 grams fiber 5 grams. Ingredients: organic rye kernels and natural sourdough starter (whole rye, water, salt, yeast). Is this allowed? It passes the Dr. Greger carb to fiber test and I used it as my starch when eating soup made entirely from vegetables. I see a few other people posted in the MWL forum as using this bread as it is convenient when away from kitchen at lunch or dinner; but not sure if it meets the guidelines. It is very dense, and not anything I would overeat like white flour sourdough (of which I could easily eat 6-8 slices in the past!)
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. Yes
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. 
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes, I get 7500-10,000 steps a day.

I feel back on track after traveling. I discovered purple/forbidden rice and japanese purple yams at the Asian grocery. Both simply delicious just alone. I discovered mixing about one part mashed yam with 4 parts cooked purple rice makes a great sugar free sushi roll filling. I add sliced carrots, burdock, daikon, cucumber and broccoli sprouts to make great vegan sushi and eat with a big side salad.

I also got an air fryer and have really love broccoli and cauliflower crisped up in there after steaming. Just a different texture.

I saw my doctor this past week and he said I was the most metabolically healthy obese person he has seen (based on my BP and all my lab values). I would love for it to be “metabolically healthy overweight person” and eventually just a healthy normal weight person. I am just on the obese side of BMI and really committed to reducing to overweight BMI over the winter…and not gain during the holidays. I feel like I have the tools to do it. Just need to be patient and stay the course.

It is so painfully slow once you get older and menopausal.
I likely wont be participating in november, but thank you to the moderators for this wonderful forum. I will be back in Decemebr if I fall off track.

All the best to everyone, it's the food
Curcubit
"One cannot pick a flower without troubling a star." Aldo Leopold
curcubit

Postby galooop » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:31 am

FRIDAY WEIGH IN - Lost 1.0 LB
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby connielovesdogs » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:52 am

Lost: 2.9 lbs

Last week: 174.2
Today: 171.3

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Yes
2) Choose fruit for dessert. Yes.
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Yes
4) Eliminate all animal foods. Yes
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Yes
6) Eliminate any added oil. Ate two meals out that had added oil.
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. Had one spinach tortilla
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. Slipped up several times on this one.
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. Yes

I did well this week with weightlifting (20 minutes/10 lb weights, so nothing fancy here) three times this week. Over the weekend I hiked 6.5 miles two days in a row with a 20 lb backpack on.

I struggled with wanting to go off course several times this week, managing to avoid doing so most of the time, but getting take out twice and Starbucks twice. The take out did taste good, but the Starbucks didn't (it's like a mechanical memory of something I used to like, so I still want it even though it isn't tasty anymore.) I suspect that when I eat restaurant food I am probably making things harder on myself, triggering more desire for that type of food. I just have so much trouble imagining getting through 7 days without going off plan here and there. I have always been so impressed with people who start the McDougall plan and never look back. People who can eat an unsalted baked potato and love it, as is. And with November (Thanksgiving and my and my husband's birthdays) and December (wedding anniversary, holidays) coming I have some concerns.

Hoping to break into the 160's this week, imbibe zero Starbucks items, continue with the exercise, and fill myself with plants!
connielovesdogs

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:02 am

Hi all,

Weight Change: -0 pounds - No change
Current Weight: 143.6

Checklist:
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsdown: Missed the salad starter on a couple of meals - traveling
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. :thumbsup:
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown: Ate out when traveling - food had aded salt in it
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6) Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown: Missed exercise a few days while traveling

Observations:

Went out of town for a couple of days this week so I didn't loose any weight. Tried to follow the checklist as much as possible, but the food I chose still had added salt, such as Udon Noodle Vegetable Soup. I didn't always start with a soup or salad and missed on the exercise. I figure it is mostly salt retention, but I will see next week. I took a lot of potatoes that I could snack on but still was not able to post a loss.

Also, thank you Mark for the recommended articles regarding the holidays. Jeff's article "Simplicity: the Key to Health" was particularly helpful as I start to plan ahead. I will try to combine that with what you said Mark "As for me, my holiday meals look remarkably similar to what I eat on any other day of the year; I habitually eat the recommended foods I enjoy the most, so I don't really have any good reason to not stick with my favorite foods. Maintaining my regular routine allows me ample time to focus on really enjoying quality time with the people I love. :)"

My other take away was in Jeff's article Giving Thanks: "It is important to remember, however, that Thanksgiving is just one meal on one day and is not that start of a month-and-a-half long celebration...So, during this upcoming holiday season of thanksgiving and celebration, let’s not forgot to take a moment and reflect, celebrate, and give thanks for those things that are truly the most important and of the most value to us…our lives, our health, our friends, and our families

See you in November!
GreenFroG

Postby VivianS » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:16 pm

VivianS October 30, 2020
Weight change -0.6 I weigh149.8 pounds 37" waistline

I succeeded on these points on the MWL CHECKLIST:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

The points on the MWL checklist that need greater attention are
3 I'm sprinkling salt on potato soup (1/2 potato, 1/2 water put in blender).
I know it is allowed, but I would be better off without it. I have some vegetables to add to it that I like: cauliflower, sweet potatoes and halved Brussels sprouts, but I don't know how to work it into my schedule to get the cooking done.

10. I need to start riding my exercise bicycle because the pool will be closed Dec. 5th. I need to build up my time so I can do some sustained exercise to replace the swimming.

My husband has started eating a bite or two of my vegetables!
Thank you, Mark Cooper, Jeff Novick, Wildgoose,Carolve, Dr. MCDOUGALL and the other board members. I am so grateful to have had your support and the opportunity to improve our health. Dr. LOWNDES HARRISON introduced me to the community. Covid19 has restricted our lives, but you have freed me from the false ideas that were keeping me fat.
VivianS

Postby wstokes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 pm

-.8 lbs
I am reporting on 2 of the 10 points this week as points I want to "master." I plan to build on this such that at the end of 5 weeks (Nov 27) I will have "mastered" all 10 points. Maybe "mastered" means no more than 3 misses for the accumulated points at the end of each week. This week i chose to focus on "Don't Drink Calories" and "Avoid Being Sedentary." I did well here and would say I mastered this...I took one day off exercise and out of 21 meals, I did not drink any calories... 7 days of exercise plus 21 meals (28 "data" points) had 1 miss out of 28 data points. This may only make sense to me, but it's drawing me into better attention to the 10 Points.
This coming week i will stay after the previous 2 and add "Eliminate higher fat plant foods" and "Eliminate added salt and Sugars."
wstokes

Mark's Replies for October 30 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:01 pm

PonysPlants - Kudos! And you are down 4 lbs for the month, I believe! Sometimes the Pleasure Trap "whispering" gets pretty loud, right? Well done getting straight back on track after the award dinner! Cheers to your husband for 5 years cancer free! It's great that you were able to celebrate that momentous occasion in a way that allowed for adherence, Naomi.
PonysPlants wrote:I’m fairly sure that I might have given up after only losing 0.4lbs in the past but I’m just ready to refocus and keep going with this plan.
:thumbsup: Continuing to focus on the recommended behaviors is exactly the right approach.

mandybee - Down 1.5 lbs for the week and 9 for the month! Keep in mind,
JeffN wrote:The average weight loss at the McDougall 10-Day Live-in Program is 3.5 lbs in 7 days; the first week is when the majority of people have their largest weekly weight loss. The average over time is about 1% of your current weight.
So you are above average this month. :) I think you realize this already, but I want to reiterate for everyone that it can be helpful not to frame things in terms of portion control, but rather just eating when hungry and stopping when comfortably full (not stuffed). It can take some time and adjustment to really fine-tune this; but, if you find you are hungry again sooner, rather than later, just eat again (provided you are eating the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion). Remember, too, that some days you may find that you are more (or less) hungry than other days. Full steam ahead!

Abe - Kudos! It has been such an enjoyable experience watching your progress with exercise! You have come so far with that particular habit since January! White rice would be acceptable, but not ideal - it still has a relatively low calorie density (a bit higher than brown rice), but it has less fiber and consequently may not be as satiating as brown rice. I believe it is important to evaluate this type of decision within the context of your overall dietary pattern - so, from my perspective, it is a question of how often it would be included, is it supplanting a better option, or, within the context of a particular situation, making overall adherence more attainable and sustainable?

Veganjo - Nice loss! Since this group takes a behavioral approach to weight loss, taking a moment (at least weekly) to assess our pattern of behavior with the MWL 10-Point Checklist is an important part of the reporting process. Please do, at least briefly, review how things are going with the recommended behaviors, so that we can all stay on the same page.

chowbby - I'm sure seeing that result on the scale felt disappointing; particularly since you were experimenting with refraining from daily weighing and concentrating on eating the recommended foods in the recommended fashion. It can feel quite demoralizing when our efforts aren't directly reinforced by the feedback we get from the scale; any single scale reading is, at best, an imprecise and imperfect substitute for the information we would actually like to capture (fat loss). I know it is hard, but I would encourage you to stay the course, continue to focus on the recommended pattern of behavior, and see how things work out in another week, two weeks, month, &c. Whenever we are faced with a plateau, the process outlined in Jeff's article on Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them offers the surest approach for overcoming that in a sustainable way. If you feel like it would help to "crowdsource" some input, you might consider starting a journal and recording several days worth of meals, to see if anything jumps out. If adherence is excellent, try to trust the process and allow more time. You are down a pound from where you started the month. :)

squealcat - Huzzah! No peanut butter! That looks like a week filled with progress, Marilyn! :D Well done putting the checklist to work for you at each meal. :thumbsup: Cheers to looking forward to November!

Kappagator_96 - Congrats! That seems like a very decent week! I'm glad your foot and ankle are starting to feel a bit better. I want to applaud your efforts to prepare for and celebrate Halloween in a way that supports your goals! The observation that the bite of cake "didn't taste as good as I thought it would" is valuable information and worth keeping in mind with respect to the candy, as well. It appears you have put quite a lot of thought and effort into being well-prepared for the temptations that Halloween might bring; I totally agree with you, for me, it is definitely true that "abstinence is easier than perfect moderation." Eating the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion, whenever you feel hungry is the best way to fortify your "willpower". :nod: Your plan for the week ahead sounds very solid, and it makes so much sense to keep the most tempting items "out of sight and out of the house." :thumbsup:

CindyD - Another 2 lbs down and nearly 11 for the month! That is great progress! If you haven't had it before, you might want to give Jeff's recipe for hummus a try - I especially like it with the optional inclusion of tomato paste he mentions. Thank you for your very kind words. I know what you mean about hope and positivity seeming to be "in short supply." I'm continually grateful to the participants in this group for their kindness and camaraderie; we can all always use a little hope, right?

Rebecka22 - Down 2.2 pounds this week and TEN for October! Fantastic! It can certainly be very challenging to maintain adherence when out of town with no kitchen; it sounds like you did your best to make choices in support of your goals. As you say, most important is that you "got right back on track." :thumbsup: Great work not letting the travel disrupt your exercise habit, too. Onward!

curcubit - Nice loss! The upside to those "white knuckle moments" is that, when you successfully make it through them, they tend to diminish and eventually fade away. The bread you describe would not be recommended for MWL (nor is any bread); even breads made from otherwise "healthy" ingredients are higher in calorie density than the recommended starches. Whole grain breads do have a fair amount of fiber, but they are a "dry" food without the water content of more calorie dilute foods.
JeffN wrote:In general, the combination of water & fiber in food create bulk & add weight for few calories. This tends to lower calorie density & increase satiety.
I'm glad you are feeling back on track after traveling. Your purple-filled sushi sounds fabulous! It's fantastic to get the supportive feedback from your lab results and doctor; continue to focus on the recommended pattern of behavior, "be patient and stay the course," and you'll achieve the results you seek with time. :nod: I wish you the very best in the weeks, months and years to come! Don't hesitate to return to the group if you feel it would serve your goals. :D

galoop - Kudos, Chris! Since this group takes a behavioral approach to weight loss, taking a moment (at least weekly) to assess our pattern of behavior with the MWL 10-Point Checklist is an important part of the reporting process. Please do, at least briefly, review how things are going with the recommended behaviors, so that we can all stay on the same page.

connielovesdogs - Wow! 2.9 lbs! Nice work managing to avoid going completely off course during a week that felt filled with struggles. When you decided to get non adherent takeout / Starbucks, was anything different about your routine, preparation or context? Were you just going past Starbucks, or did you make a special trip? Could you change your route and or routine to avoid it? Now that you know the Starbucks didn't taste good, do you think that will make omitting it feel more attainable moving forward? Hyperpalatable foods do seems to trigger a desire for more of the same, for many of us. Keep doing your best, making improvements and adjustments as you are able, and fill yourself with minimally processed starches, vegetables and fruits and you'll get where you want to be in the end.

GreenFroG - Sometimes "no change" in weight after a few travel days is its own sort of victory! I'm glad to see you are keeping that in perspective, and looking ahead to what next week's weigh-in can tell you. Cheers to planning ahead for the holidays to come; I think Giving Thanks offers a really valuable perspective on what celebration can mean, I'm happy to hear you found some helpful takeaways in those articles. :)

VivianS - Woo-hoo! 10/10! I always love seeing that! A potato, cauliflower, sweet potato, brussel sprout soup sounds very delicious to me! When time for cooking is in short supply, I usually lean heavily on the fundamental concepts Jeff outlines in his Fast Food meals - use frozen vegetables so you don't have to waste time cleaning/cutting (you can even let them thaw in advance), and microwave potatoes / sweet potatoes. Everything goes in a pot with some liquid and gets heated until it's nice and warm; it usually takes me less than ten minutes. I think you are very wise in already planning alternate means of staying active once the pool closes. I hope your husband has been enjoying that bite or two of vegetables! Maybe he'll want more. :D

wstokes - Down 0.8 lbs! I can see how the framework of "mastering" particular behaviors might be of value in bringing appropriate focus to a given guideline, particularly so, if they stay "mastered" as additional behaviors come into the spotlight from week to week. Since the aim is to achieve an overall pattern of behavior that will result in attaining the outcomes you want, any tactic that consistently brings you closer to adherence to the MWL 10-Point Checklist seems meritorious. Just don't lose sight of the entirety of the picture.
Mark Cooper

Postby wischbone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Pounds lost the week: 1 lb.
Pounds left to lose: 4.6 lbs.

1. Start each meal with soup/salad/fruit: :thumbsup:
2. 50-50 plate: :thumbsup:
3. Reduce or eliminate sugar/salt: :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate animal foods: :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate higher fat plant foods: :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate oil: :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate higher calorie dense foods: :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories: still working on it... its getting better
9. Eat when hungry and stop when full: :thumbsup:
10. 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: :thumbsup:

Reflections:
It's been a good week. We consumed a lot more roasted veggies and are loving it! I don't know how we didn't stumble upon this earlier but I am glad we did! Consumption of soup tapered off towards the end of the week but I made a new batch this morning so we are back on it :) Looking to make some different soups this weekend to change things up a bit. Also looking forward to cooking up some varieties of squash we have at home. I did a lot of reflection this week on how we eat now and cannot phantom not eating like this. My partner Teri will tell you that I often get teary-eyed when I think about the food we are eating. It's not at all about being sad but being totally grateful. It's such a simple way of eating. I've also become more aware of how unhealthy most people are... it's quite scary. Most people probably don't even know it (addiction) but if they do they either don't know how to change it or are being told the typical things to do which we know in the long run, we never, ever work. Sometimes when I am in the store, I want to stand up on a register and yell out loud... "You are doing it all wrong... there is a better, healthier way to live and it will save your life!!!" The whole world needs to know about this way of eating. Much thanks to you all for being the change :)
wischbone

Postby tinathescreamer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:34 pm

Weight loss this week -1.8 lbs
It's been a very good week. I went to the doctor for a checkup and my bp is down to 121/72 and I'm far removed from diabetes, which I was concerned about as I was drinking so much water, but all is well. One of my medications has been cut in half and if this continues the next step is to take me off it completely. I've been good about sticking to all the points except minimising salt - still working on that. I went to a barbecue where I knew food would be problematic so I took my knitting with me and when people asked if I was eating I said I'll have some when I've finished knitting. It made for an interesting conversation starter so I'll be bringing it with me everywhere.
tinathescreamer

Postby jkcook » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:59 pm

+1

Sadly, dental problems is preventing me from eating salads and I’m using that as an excuse to eat poorly. Also, a part-time job opening thousands of ballots and the start of winter discouraging outside exercise has decreased my caloric usage. I must do better.
jkcook

Postby cmcavazos » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Weight - -.4#

Did well with:
1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10

Need to work on:
There are some ingredients I'm not willing to let go of - yet. I have been whole-food plant based for 3 years and signed up for this MWL group to tighten up my food plan to avoid my weight creeping up. This has certainy made me more aware of everything that I eat and put into my food preparation.

5. I had tofu, pumpkin seeds in two stir fry dishes.
7. I had dry breakfast cereal for one breakfast during the week.

Thank you for your input and support.
cmcavazos

Postby Dot » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:32 pm

Initial Weight: 150 lbs. Goal: 130-135 lbs.
July - 145 -5
Aug - 142 -3
Sept - 138 -4 lbs.
Oct - 133 -4 lbs.
This week’s loss -1 lb.

1-10 Yes
Continued complying and simplifying. Thank you, everyone, for your help.
Dot.
Dot

Postby JaBee » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Down 3.4#, new wt 189.9, barely under 190 but grateful!

Succeeded in all guidelines except #9, felt hungry and next day overstuffed a couple of days, wonder if I need more
variety in my meals as found myself not wanting to eat since nothing new to eat since ate same simple meals for last week.

I will plan different menus next week.
JaBee

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program