September 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby potatohead55 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:41 am

Thanks to everyone for the welcome! I don't know how you do it, Mark Cooper.

Previous weight: 204.2
This week: 203

My goal for this week is to keep working on the principles, esp. cutting out the bread. Mark Cooper - are corn tortillas, baked without salt considered MWL?

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. - About 4 out of 7 days?

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Still working on - I add about a TBSP of sugar to my morning oatmeal. Never used a lot of salt, but will work on reducing further.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). - YES, Easy Peasy

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). - YES, but does Tahini salad dressing (homemade) count - I add water to it.

6) Eliminate any added oil. - YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. - NO - my downfall is bread. Ate a few pieces here and there.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). - YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). - NO - just my regular 3x a week 2 miles on recumbent bike routine...need to up the resistance as I'm not breaking a sweat :duh:
potatohead55

Postby chef16 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 am

9/11/2020 249#
9/25/2020 248#
-1#
Another pound gone! Another imperfect week, but still able to stick to it enough to continue to loose. I have convinced my supervisor that I am on a special diet and need to bring my lunch so starting Monday I will have control of my choices again. Lets hope no one higher up tells me different.
This week I stuck with 3, 4, 6, 8, and 9 almost 100%
Most of the time I stuck with 1, 2 and 5
Having a real problem with 7
10 is taken care of by my job for now. On my feet all day walking and a lot of lifting and bending.
Thanks!
Doreen
chef16

Postby Trinity » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:52 am

PonysPlants,

Have you ever tried cold-brewing tea? I recently have been working on giving up black coffee, and drinking black tea first thing in the morning on an empty stomach gave me a stomachache, so this is my solution.

Say you drink 2 cups of tea a day, about 100 mg caffeine. At night, put 4 teabags in a pitcher with 32 oz. of water. In the morning, remove the teabags. Then you can reheat it a mug at a time if you want, and it will be the same amount of caffeine as 2 cups of tea, but without the bitterness.

Trinity
Trinity

Postby Lucas » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:58 am

4/27/20: 203.2
5/1/20: 201.8
5/8/20: 200.0
5/15/20: 198.6
5/22/20: 197.8
5/29/20: 196.0
6/5/20 : 193.8
6/12/20: 192.8
6/19/20: 192.6
6/26/20: 191.8
7/3/20: 190.8
7/10/20: 188.8
7/17/20: 189.0
7/24/20: 187.4
7/31/20: 187.8
8/7/20: 186.6
8/14/20: 187.8
8/21/20: 184.6
8/28/20: 182.0
9/5/20: 180.8
9/11/20: 182.4
9/18/20: 181.8
9/25/20: 181.2

Change: -.6

Hello everyone,

So, this past week with the exception of a few days where I did indulge in higher calorie dense food...I did pretty good. Wife decided to make pumpkin spice cake and I just couldn't resist. She did substitute apple sauce for the oil and egg replacer for the egg just for me. She was going to make it regardless so I am grateful she did this for me. Although, I am certain if she would have made it with eggs I would not have eaten it. I don't really want to tell her to make it with eggs to prevent me from eating any because at least I know she is eating healthier. ;-)

Anyway, I am down another .6 lbs this week and .6 lbs the week before. I missed the cut off date for posting the week before. Anyway, the weather down here in the South Central Texas is finally starting to cool off so I am enjoying the outdoor walking instead of walking on the treadmill indoors.

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL) 

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.  Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes, except for a few days.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Yes. Tough one. Trying harder on this one.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes. Enjoying the cooler weather.

This month has gone by fast. Looking forward to October. Have great week.
Lucas

Postby kirstykay » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:08 am

Weight Change 0

No loss or gain this week. I injured my foot somehow this week, so have had to take time off my walking routine and stay off my feet to let it heal. I am hoping to be able to do my morning walk on Monday, but still giving it the weekend to make sure it's better.

I imagine my lack of exercise has something to do with not losing this week, but I'm not upset about it. I've had several weeks in a row of losses, so I'm due. I had a good week, food wise, so that's really what matters. I didn't let my injury sidetrack me and that is a win!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:20 am

First day of fall this week. With seasons “eatings” coming up I’m almost glad about the pandemic restrictions which have actually helped me with my weight loss. We don’t eat out anymore nor do we do takeout. I choose what I’m going to buy for my household and cook fresh MWL food to have on hand on the weekends so when I’m too frazzled from work to think about cooking. it’s such a good feeling not to feel that I should have done something more. Not eating challenging foods such as nuts and baked goods with flour takes a lot of effort for a few days and then gets easier. Wish I could say it stays easy, but I feel like I have done it hundreds of times. It’s just going to have to be a few hundred more.
Here are the awesome results this month.
9/4. 126.8
9/11. 127
9/18 128.2
9/25 126.4.
Started at 139.3 on 6/29/20. Down 12.9 ponds. App 4.3 pounds per month
I’ve been struggling for a very long time with the scale and the weight wouldn’t budge or just increased despite best intentions. The MWL guidelines and checklist have really helped me to help myself with your guidance. Thank you for this accountability place and for your nonjudgmental support.
10 point MWL checklist this week from 1-10. All yes. Everyday. With exception of yesterday (nuts and some bread). My goal this week is to maintain my weight and say yes to all 10 points without exception.
Have a good week everyone and looking forward to joining you on the October 2020 MWL board.
Gimmelean

Postby Kelly140 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:37 am

This week: -3
Total loss: -16
To Goal: 33

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method. 90%
3. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes
4. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Yes
5. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes. This is easy now. :-D
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories. Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry. Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes/day. 90%

Very happy with the scale this week! Good motivation to keep going. Planning ahead for meals is really making a difference for me.
Kelly140

Postby Growing a Pear » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:44 am

Change in rolling average this week: -0#
SW this week: 142.8#
CW: 142.8#
GW: ~135#

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :!:
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :!:
2) Choose fruit for dessert. :)
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. :)
4) Eliminate all animal foods. :)
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. :)
6) Eliminate any added oil. :)
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. :!:
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. :)
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. :)
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)

:!: A lurching week of adherence, to be honest, and I'm grateful I didn't actually gain weight. It's been 2 weeks now of being 1-2 days on track followed by 1-2 days off. I think that reflects the lack of steadiness in the home climate--not originating from me but impacting me nonetheless. Regardless, shows how shallow my groove is and that when I don't have a lot of mental energy to divert to eating on plan, I struggle.

I still succeeded on the majority of points, though, and today will be my fifth day without dry cereal. Kept up with the resistance exercises, too.

My plan is to restock my fridge with rice and beans, which I'm going to go down and set to cooking right now. I had switched to potatoes as my major starch the past two weeks. I love them but for some reason, their consumption requires more mental effort than when I could pull together a rice bowl for any and every meal. I don't think I'm as good at understanding how much I require to feel comfortably full and the more automaticity I can harness right now, the better.

I will be back in for October! Thanks, Mark and other mods, for keeping this thread going! The gentle accountability helps. Even as I'm not where I want to be, I'm not ignoring the warning signs and going willfully unconscious, as has been my pattern in the past.
I just want to emphasize: It is the QUALITY of the food, not the QUANTITY. You are guaranteed success when following a starch-based and a simple diet. Monotony can be a key helper. ~Dr. John McDougall
Growing a Pear

Postby laura_delao » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:53 am

Current weight: 134.6
Change: -0.4 lbs

Eating the Chubby Chips has been a life saver on several meals. So easy to make and so delicious.

I have been cooking corn on the cob to eat as a side dish or a main meal. I had never eaten 3 in one sitting... :eek:

I have several soups on rotation. As one finishes I make the next.

Found a Mexican product, Chocolate Ibarra, at the store and gave in. Have been eating a small piece every day after dinner and pimples started showing up.

I had some Chilaquiles for breakfast and they were too oily. By the end of the meal I already had a headache. I guess that's the so called McDougall revenge, isn't? Learning from mistakes... :( :angry: :duh:

Thank you for this forum, the guidance and the challenge. Have a great loss next week everyone!
laura_delao

Postby Renestl » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:16 am

July 1 (SW) - 239.6
Aug 28 - 229.1
Sept 4 - 227.4 (-1.7)
Sept 11 - 226.4 (-1.0)
Sept 25 - 224.2 (-2.2)

Total loss for month - 4.9 lbs

The more compliant I am, the better I feel and the better the weight loss. So I'm in for Cathy's October ALL IN Challenge!
What better time than now to get on the road to healthy.
Renestl

Postby OrangeBird » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:35 am

CW 214.2
Change: - 3.0 lbs

Crazy week. Eating has been mostly on plan until last night and I know today and tomorrow will also be wonky due to the wedding events. Just planning to enjoy and not over indulge... still no animal products but I am sure there will be some oil/white flower in things.

Back to flower arranging...one day until the wedding!
OrangeBird

Postby wavingwheat » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:09 am

9/18--163.0
9/25-163.2
+.2
Mid-week I had a couple of days with a headache, sore throat and generally feeling awful. In normal times, I would just drink more water and push through it, but considering the current environment, well frankly, I was frightened. My resolve just fell apart; didn't even track very well. One evening I wrote, " ate and ate and ate-ugh"
Today is a new day

Carol
wavingwheat

Postby texaslil » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:59 am

Happy Saturday everyone!

not overly ecstatic but happy to see the scale go down somewhat:

-.6 lbs

1. Start with soup/salad/fruit: Good
2. Follow the 50/50 plate: Good
3. Reduce or eliminate salt and sugar: Mostly
4. Eliminate animal foods: 100%
5. Eliminate higher fat plant foods: Some avocado
6. Eliminate oil: had an impossible burger at a family cookout
7. Eliminate higher calorically dense foods: none
8. Don't drink your calories: no smoothies! but had some wine
9: Eat when hungry and stop when full: kinda/mostly
10. Avoid being sedentary: 100% if yoga counts for two days

I continue to enjoy this way of eating but do enjoy my avocado/tofu here and there :-D I know weight loss might go faster w/out it but it helps me to stick to the MWL recipes. For the most part I'm doing well and happy to see the scale go down!

Happy weekend to all!
texaslil

Postby Beeshell » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:26 pm

Good morning:
This week: 1.8
Total loss: 7.6
To Goal: TBD

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes B and D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method. Mostly
3. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes. Have been having a fruit bar a few nights after dinner
4. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Yes
5. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes. This is easy now. :-D
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. Still having bread for lunch
8. Don't drink your calories. Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry. Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes/day. This is where i can put 100%. Regular vigorous exercise is 6/7.

Thank you to the person who posted this abbreviated checklist - I think it will help me to see total loss. I am surprised at the loss after last week's gain. For me, the most challenging is the elimination of sweets and emotional eating. This will continue to be what I work on as I move through habit change. This week, we lost one of our cats somewhat unexpectedly. She was one of the ferals that we care for and it hit us pretty hard. I reacted by eating some cookies but focused on getting back on track. I did prepare some salad per Mark's last suggestion to have on hand. Thank you again for the support and feedback. although changes are slow in coming to me, I remind myself by writing here that it's the long term that I'm aiming for. Quick fixes have not helped me in the past. Have a good weekend - much appreciation to Mark, Goose and others who take the time to help us along. :)
Beeshell

Postby PonysPlants » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi Trinity,

Thanks so much for the tip! I’ll definitely try that. I have the exact same thing with black tea, it makes me feel really queasy and black coffee just gives me a headache even if it’s decaf. I’m definitely going to give it a try. I drink lots of herbal teas during the day but that first cup in the morning still needs to be “proper”. I mean, I’m English so I have to by law. :wink:

Naomi
(PonysPlants)
PonysPlants

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program