MWL-What Do you Eat in a Day, Tips, Ideas?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL-What Do you Eat in a Day, Tips, Ideas?

Postby CindyD » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:02 am

I thought it might be fun (and good for ideas) to see what people eat on a pretty standard day. So I hope maybe some of you will join in?

MORNING Usually just berries. But if I'm hungry I will cook some steel cut oats and put the berries in it.

LUNCH Giant salad. I told myself when I started the MWL that my salad would have no fewer than 4 different things.
Examples of recent things: dark leafy greens, lettuce, bell pepper, red or green onion, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli. I usually end up with 5 or 6 things rather than 4.
Sometimes I will add some warm black beans or lentils right into the salad, and call it lunch. If mixed well, the salad does not really need additional dressing, but maybe a dash of balsamic for dry spots.
If no beans or lentils, I might just eat a plain baked Russet potato.

SNACK Berries or banana

DINNER I have been experimenting with soups. The most recent is a leek potato soup and though I'm not much for following recipes I did the following: saute large chopped white onion and one large chopped leek in a bit of water, add in lots of garlic, add about 5 cups of water and some low-salt veg Better Than Bouillon. Add some fresh thyme and dried rosemary (should have ground up the rosemary, whoops!), black pepper and some Kirkland no-salt seasoning mix. Bring to boil, add 3-4 diced up potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are tender and then use an immersion blender to desired smoothness. Serve over bowl of steamed broccoli or greens or other veg, or maybe rice.

TIPS
Ginger root - freeze whole in a bag in freezer - you don't even need to peel it. When needed, use a microplane to shave it into your dish or pot.
Salad chopping - I use my kitchen scissors and really go at the greens and lettuce before adding other stuff. I find this makes the salad much more pleasant to eat. I understand there is a special salad chopping gadget but I am trying not to buy all the gadgets.
CindyD

Re: MWL-What Do you Eat in a Day, Tips, Ideas?

Postby Creaky » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:59 pm

Br: Oats and spinach (I know it sounds weird but I love my savory oatmeal. French style green beans are good with oats too.)
Snacks and Lunch: 2 cups of a cooked frozen vegetable mix*, 1/2 c starch. a bit of beans.
Dinner: 1-3 potatoes, diced and air fried with no oil and 2 cups of the vegetable mix.

*The vegetable mix is 2 pound frozen mixed vegetables (peas, corn, green beans, lima beans), 2 pounds of frozen cut green beans and 1 pound of frozen french style green beans. I steam all of this in a three tiered steamer (cut green beans on bottom, mixed veggies in middle and french style green beans on top, steam for 35 minutes on a electric steamer. Mix well and refrigerate.

Simple, easy, filling meals. I think they are 50%/50% starch to veggie ratio. I sprinkle a bit of lemon pepper on the top of the meal.
Creaky

Re: MWL-What Do you Eat in a Day, Tips, Ideas?

Postby CindyD » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:48 am

Oats and spinach!
I put chopped kale into a veggie soup yesterday because I see lots of plant-based chefs on YouTube do this sort of thing to increase one's greens. I didn't think I would like it but I was very surprised that I actually liked it.
So, I bet oats and spinach is not bad!
CindyD

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program