August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby K-Squared » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:45 pm

Weight Change: ???

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Lunch and Dinner

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. 100%

2) Choose fruit for desert. 100%

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Greatly Reduced :thumbsup:

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%

6) Eliminate any added oil. 100%

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 100%

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 100%

Currently, I am not tracking my weight. Rather, I am simply focusing on compliance with the 10 point checklist, over which, I actually have control. I feel like my compliance this week was really strong and I continue to feel good. This week I completed my second round of Week 3 C25K and will be starting Week 4 Tomorrow! Looking at the checklist, one way in which I could improve is by eating a soup/salad/fruit before breakfast... however, it is not part of my routine and I find that I just add the fruit into my oatmeal to create a 50/50 bowl which fills me up greatly. This month I will be working to remain positive by avoiding the scale and focusing on what I can control. Good luck to everyone and happy eating.
K-Squared

Postby rsmith0809 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:57 pm

149.8 (no change between today and two weeks ago)

I missed the weigh in last Friday because I was on vacation. I leave again tomorrow for another week so I'll miss next Friday as well. I'm still struggling with more calorie dense food (peanut butter, sugar, and flour). I plan to start a daily journal when I get back :)
rsmith0809

Postby Kelly140 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:56 pm

Week: -2.5
Total: -4.5

MWL 10 Point Checklist
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes, and eliminating dairy has been much easier than I expected.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Had one ounce of roasted almonds one day. :(
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes---this was much easier for me this week!
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Successful with this 5/7 days.

Having foods ready and on hand has really helped me this week! I am really surprised that I don't have the cravings I expected to have at this point.
Kelly140

Postby Lucas » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 pm

4/27/20: 203.2
5/1/20: 201.8
5/8/20: 200.0
5/15/20: 198.6
5/22/20: 197.8
5/29/20: 196.0
6/5/20 : 193.8
6/12/20: 192.8
6/19/20: 192.6
6/26/20: 191.8
7/3/20: 190.8
7/10/20: 188.8
7/17/20: 189.0
7/24/20: 187.4
7/31/20: 187.8
8/7/20: 186.6

Change: -1.2

Hi everyone. I definitely want to keep participating in MWL, so count me in for the month of August. Thank you so much for making this forum available and to the moderators who take the time to help us on our journey.

I did miss the deadline last week for posting and thought I would just wait for this week. I recorded a gain last week (7/31) of .4 lbs. over the previous week. This week I had a loss of 1.2 lbs. The difference between the two weeks for the most part were I feel points 9 and 10. Looking at the previous week versus this week. I think I struggled with #9 as usual, eating when hungry and stopping when full. I've noticed when I eat baked potato it definitely keeps me full longer so that when its time to eat again I feel I am not very hungry if at all? I usually eat anyway because its time, lunch or dinner. Moving on to point #10, this week I did really good, getting my daily 30 min of exercise in especially in comparison to the week of 7/31 which I'm sure helped to turn it around for a loss :-D . I was good on all other points. Thanks and have a great week!
Lucas

Postby chef16 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:23 pm

7/31/ 2020 264 #
8/07/2020 262 #
another - 2 #
1,2,3 ,4,5,6 and 9 went well this week
7,8and 10 are still a problem
Sometimes I think I don't eat enough of the non starchy vegetables. I have been trying to eat more of them this week. Still sneaking bread and peanut butter in . Also still having my cup of coffee now and then .I am going to make an effort to stop this . Going back to work in 2 weeks That will be the test if I can stay with this. I really have to start walking more.
Doreen
chef16

Postby Drew* » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:13 am

Weekly stats:

8/7: 172.3 lb -7.2 lb
Male. 57 years old. 5'9 1/4"
BMI: 25.27

Points of success:

This week the "snack monster" (quoted from Mark Cooper) did not take over! Instead, I found some of the guidance from Mark helpful about the usefulness of journals. He pointed out his journal entries from back in 2018 and I liked the format of restating the 10 MWL principles and giving a thumbs up or other symbol before making general comments. So I did so for every day and with the exception of a neutral face yesterday for a small quantity of added oil, I had all thumbs up. One other thing, I gave up on sprinkling salt. Wildgoose made some comments about it and it made sense. Salt increases water weight, encourages eating more, and raises blood pressure. So it's time to not just refrain from adding to food, but start sprinkling the food with herbs and spices instead.

So I had some weight loss that is certainly due to MWL principles and no salt (less water retention)!

Challenges

The challenge this week was not to give in to urges for crackers, little vegan chocolate cookie dough treats that someone put in the freezer (not me), etc. I did not give in and the strategy going forward is if it is not an occasional once or twice a week meal with my wife who cooks vegan food, then I will stick to the MWL plan. Right now there should not be any exceptions. I quit smoking in 1990 in a house with two smokers and so I can do it now with food choices!

What needs greater attention?

Last week Mark mentioned some tips for not eating things one would regret at a gathering. The other day, my relatives let me know they would bring us Chinese food. I called and let them know they do not need to bring anything for me, but if they do about all I would eat is some steamed veggies. They brought a very small container of stir-fried veggies. There was not much oil on them so I mixed them with Asian vegetables and cooked some quick microwavable brown rice a house-member had in the cupboard. Although both dishes (stir-fry and rice) had a small quantity of oil, this exception seemed manageable compared to nibbling on chips or the cookie dough treats. For desert I had fruit. It was a satisfying meal and when company come again I will have a plan like the above or a better plan such as some of those mentioned last week by Mark: "deciding in to eat in advance of social gatherings or...committing to reach for a SNAP meal or fruit instead of more troublesome foods, for example."

General impressions:

While I may not have so much weight loss on a weekly basis, it was nice to see MWL in action through a journal. Now I need to keep up the momentum!
--
Drew*
Drew*

Postby Zoey » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:29 am

Here we are again! I was so frustrated with myself for missing last week's weigh-in. I always do it on Saturday morning, and last week we were up and out to the farmer's market before I even thought about it. Ooopsie.
So I've been participating in the groups since May, and still haven't even hit the ten pound loss. I've stayed the same these past two weeks. But I'm not fretting, because I know I'm at a healthy weight. I just want to look better now, as I already feel really good!

As for my confessions, one day I had some dried fruit, and another day I had a couple of pieces of sourdough bread.
As for the joys, my liquid calories are still decreasing. Mornings really are better without wine the night before, I must admit.

I'm excited to be back and see everyone. And Mark, I'm glad things are up and running in your neck of the woods.

Have a great week, everyone!
Zoey

Postby carwex » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:05 am

Hi MWLers,

I’m back for more MWL in August. Last week I gained 3.3 pounds. This week I got back on the MWL track and lost 2.6 pounds. It works if you work it.

I started the MWL in April after doing regular McDougall for 10 years and losing weight. Now I am pretty close to “goal weight” (whatever that is) but feel I have more to internalize in this discussion since my goal is to stop the yoyo routine with the last 10 pounds.

I have learned that having a soup or salad ready before the meal is an important part of my mealtime satiety so I have gone the extra step to make sure that there are soups already prepared before I get hungry. In one of his videos, Dr Lisle advises us to keep an assembly line process to get the meals prepared before we need them. “Run your life like you’re running a restaurant” he says.
This helps me a lot. So nice to come home and know that there are allowed foods all ready in the fridge.

Enjoying reading all the shares and comments. Wishing good eating to us all. It's the food

Carol
carwex

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Pattyj115 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:07 am

I am clearly confused about where to post for August....
Last edited by Pattyj115 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pattyj115 -- I want to feel younger next year!!

Pattyj115

Postby Lachoffman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:32 am

Very thankful to continue this MWL journey (started 7/4/20) into August. This week I lost 6 lbs. for a total loss of 23 lbs. I began my MWL journey at 216 and am now at 193. This is very encouraging to me (especially since I didn't lose any weight last week) and of course, am experiencing all the health benefits of my new weight. I am particularly grateful that even though I was on vacation (at the lake) this week I was able to stay fully engaged with MWL despite my spouse indulging in our usual vacation practices (i.e. lots of ice cream, cheeseburgers, sugary drinks, special adult beverages, Little Debbie snacks, etc.). I tried two new McDougall recipes this week that I really liked: Vegetable Tabouli and Sloppy Lentil Joes (on baked potatoes and on brown rice). My exercise routine stayed constant at 45+ minutes of walking every day. We are still on a bit of vacation (working this week remotely from an Airbnb-type situation) but have a full kitchen and less temptations. Thank you for offering this online community to all of us and for your continued support. I look forward to a good week.
Lachoffman

Friday August 8 2020 MWL Check-In

Postby MonkeysMom » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:35 am

Current Weight 271.6
August Start weight 272.4

August loss - 0.8 (and I’m still in “prep mode” - not actually trying to lose yet!)

10-point plan review
1. Start each meal w soup/salad/fruit... kinda. Fruit yes, planning on incorporating salad or other no starch veg some this week.
2a. 50/50 Plate (non-starch veg/starch)...Mostly.
2b. Fruit for dessert...Can’t eat fruit alone due to overactive insulin response so it’s usually part of the main meal.
3. Reduce added sugar and salt. Yes! At least 50% down, maybe more.
4. Eliminate all animal foods..No but making planned progress: Have not purchased any more; eating less daily; paying attention to tastes and textures and realizing I don’t really like most of it; have just gotten used to the convenience.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant food...Being conscious but PlantStock is my intended start date for 7-day elimination.
6. Eliminate any added oil...Yes
7. Eliminate all high calorie-dense food including flour...Not replenishing as I run out. Last night was last of the real culprit —Wheat Thins. What shall I do?! (Just kidding I know what to do).
8. Don't drink your calories...Yes.
9. Follow principles, Eat when hungry.... Eating when hungry, yes, but really struggling with not snacking on crunchy crackers and cookies all day long while working (keeps me awake and manages anxiety). Have tried carrots & celery but after more than a few, my TMJ gets really painful. Looking for more low-cal healthy options and am working on just snacking less in general.
10. Avoid being sedentary...No. Knee injury has kept me more sedentary than usual this week. Got cortisone shots yesterday. Hopefully once the “flare” from the shots dies down I’ll be able to walk again.

I just wanna say that I’m actually getting excited to start whole-hog (sorry no pun intended) for real next week during PlantStock! My refrig is bursting with fresh veggies and I’m trying them out in different ways each day. And as I finish eating up my existing cottage cheese, etc I am trying to really pay attention to the tastes, textures, etc. I’m realizing that I don’t really love most of these foods— I’ve just gotten used to them. I’m looking forward to fresher, brighter flavors and textures, and to the extend I do crave the hits of sweet and salty, I’m nervously optimistic that I’ll be able to find healthier stand-ins as my palate adjusts to less of those neuron-exciters altogether.

Thanks so much for offering this support forum for those of us committed to making change!
MonkeysMom

Postby Pattyj115 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:10 am

FOUND IT!! YAY!!

SW: 205.4
Last Week: 198.0
This Week: 197.4
Weekly Change: - 0.6
Total Change: - 8.0

01) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: YES
02) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: YES, except when salad became the meal
03) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts: YES
04) Eliminate all animal foods: YES
05) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods: NO (guacamole)
06) Eliminate any added oil: YES
07) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods: NO, (Popcorn, chips, pretzels)
08) Don’t drink your calories: Water & am Coffee
09) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full: NO/YES stopping when full, however I also ate when I was not hungry to soothe stress/pain
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: Continuing to do my PT exercises but did fewer this week

Comments: I started with a pretty good week following the 10-Pt Checklist. I even declined an offer for cheese, I remember last time it did not taste as good as it once did. And then somewhere between Wednesday and Friday, it all went south! Pain level jumped high and I was reaching for comfort foods. So disgusted that I could not find a better solution than eating the types of food that probably aggravate and cause more inflammation. Apparently, I do not have enough easy to grab yummy foods to help avoid the bad choices. Early in the week I did pretty good, I have been adding things to my ho-hum vegetable soup to make it tastier (seasonings, different kinds of beans), so that was very helpful. Soup is still a work in progress, but since I have always enjoyed soup for breakfast, I will eat it no matter what I put in it. It might be time to try something other than vegetable soup, any suggestions?
Pattyj115 -- I want to feel younger next year!!

Pattyj115

Postby vegyluvver » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:30 am

Noella wrote:I had another good experience following the guidelines this week. Although we had company stay with us for a few days, my fridge and pantry were well stocked with healthy vegetables and fruits so I was able to serve delicious MWL-adherent meals to our guests which helped me stay on track with the MWL guidelines. I also served a few non-MWL foods, but I not only didn’t indulge, I wasn’t even interested.

That's amazing! Great job!
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby Tbear » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:37 am

Tbear
I was down 3.4 lbs.
I did well on 2,3, 4, 6, 8, 09
I need to do better on 1, 5, 7, and 10.
I did better overall as very much thinking about it. I was thinking I might start a journal to do this daily...write what good choices v needing better choices. It certainly pointed out the mental portion of this heathly eating way that I had let slip.
Glad to be going down again.
Tbear

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:01 am

I am getting a repeated error message when posting a reply SQL error
Gimmelean

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program