August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby laura_delao » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Weight change: +0.6 lbs
Current weight: 136.2
Goal weight: Seeing where my weight lands. BMI is at 23.3 at normal

Looking forward to continued learning from reading the posts and the great replies from the moderators this month. Big thank you guys! This week I had two non-compliant breakfasts eating out plus a couple handfuls of cashews (still leftovers). I am enjoying my alternative breakfast of mashed baked sweet potato with lemon juice and cinnamon topped with blueberries/raspberries. Seems like dessert for breakfast. I couldn't finish it and saved it and grazed on it the rest of the day. Completed first week at the gym but I was too tired to walk on the off days. Will try to improve on that this week. Looking forward to my second month in this great group. Have a great week everyone!
laura_delao

Postby Vegeloon » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:15 pm

Hello Mark and All -
I was camping last weekend and had a couple days of mindless (non McDougall) eating.
I am back home and back to reality - stocked up
on lots of yummy fruits and veggies!! Ready for a great August!
I did somehow manage a 1 pound weight loss...

MWL 10 Point Checklist
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 75%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 75%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 75%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 90%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 75%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 50%
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. 75%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 75%
What would Mc Dougall do?
Vegeloon

Postby Renestl » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:46 pm

July 31 - 231.4
Aug 7 - 231.6 (+0.2)

Expected gain because I spent the week with swollen feet and I'm sure I went heavy on the salt. Did pretty good sticking to 50/50 plate. Kicking animal foods and oil still need work, but did better on saying no this week. Being full on starch when asked makes that a little easier. Flour snuck back in to cover veggie pot pie, other than that, was good on #7.
Renestl

Postby ladevereaux » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:09 pm

SW: 246.7 (08/03/2020)
CW: 241.7
Weight change: -5 lbs

10-Point Checklist:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 100%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 100%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 50%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 90%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 75%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 75%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 50%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 90% Had a margarita one night and a sports drink after working out and I was really hot. I don’t drink them daily.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 100% I walk or ride my bike everyday for an hour.

Observations:
I am a sugarholic. I drink 1 cup of coffee most mornings with flavored creamer and Splenda. This week I replaced the Splenda with regular sugar and decreased from 3t to 2t. This is going to be a work in progress. I also didn’t drink any sweet tea this week. That has been my go-to drink (I don’t drink soda). This was huge for me. #3
I also love tortilla chips and guac so that was also a struggle this week. But the guac is all gone now. #5&7
I made some cornbread muffins which hit # 3,4,& 7, but that is not a staple in my diet.
I am not a big salad eater, so I used store bought dressing made with oil. I have tried salad dressing made from hummus but it was too thick. Suggestions??? #6
ladevereaux

Mark's Replies for August 7 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:00 pm

PonysPlants - Another nice steady loss! I wouldn't anticipate any problem with relying on a couple primary foods for the starch portion of your meal - I am much the same myself, eating mostly potatoes, sweet potatoes and brown rice. As Jeff has mentioned previously, "when following the MWL guidelines (particularly starting meals with soup or salad, and the 50/50 guideline) one's diet will be very nutrient dense." So, enjoy your potatoes, brown rice and fruit (within reason :-D ).

Cathy Ann - Huzzah! Best week yet, no binge eating and down 2 lbs! Adhering to the MWL principles is indeed a great way to break those previous habits. I think if a food feels especially troublesome for you, removing it from your immediate environment makes a great deal of sense, especially so when the food is attached to a habitual behavior you've come to expect (like that Sunday night non adherent meal). The sooner and more fully you can break that habit, the more quickly the cravings it inspires are likely to subside. Keep striving to make more and more of the "mostly" points into "Yes." I think you are approaching exercise with a useful mindset - just start as soon as you are able with whatever activities you can do, for whatever period of time, and build from there. I'm delighted that the future has you feeling excited!

Expat in NZ - Happy Friday, and congratulations on shattering that plateau! It looks like you had a great initial week adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist, Lindsey. :thumbsup: Keep it up!

Abe - As always, be patient, and keep striving to subdue that "last frontier!" Have you tried any SNAP meals or Jeff's recipes using his basic 5 ingredients lately? Those can be especially helpful for satisfying the 50/50 guideline, since they achieve the desired ratio automatically, can be adjusted to large batches, and freeze, refrigerate and reheat well.

josietheschnauzer - Down 2.2 lbs this week and 27.4 total! It sounds like you had a great week, and prepared for and managed your dining out and houseguest very well! How gratifying that your cousin enjoyed your MWL meals with enthusiasm. I think it is great that you have been so successful finding strategies to help with not stuffing yourself - it sounds like that herbal tea hit the spot for you. Don't overlook the possibility, though, that sometimes when you want to eat a bit more, you might just actually still be hungry. :D Way to be so consistent with your level of adherence and activity!

Joanne_elon - Try not to feel too disappointed, if you can! It seems like you know which behaviors to correct - as you observe, in this situation (especially as one gets closer and closer to a natural weight) the answer is ADHERENCE + TIME.

Dennis h - Nice loss! Keep aiming for closer adherence in those areas you "need to work on," that is the best way you can support your continuing progress.

Waterfit - Yay! I think your inclination to keep "plugging along" is the right one; overall, you are averaging just under 1 lb / week, which is more or less right in line with what would be expected, given your weight range. A review of what we can do about plateaus, never hurts. Just to clarify for all participants, neither "compulsive" exercising, nor intermittent fasting is recommended for MWL or as part of the regular McDougall program.
JeffN wrote:While optimal health requires a certain level of activity, exercise and fitness, more exercise does not always equal greater health, and too much exercise can lead to less than optimal health.
JeffN wrote:We do not promote or endorse intermittent fasting, not eating when hungry, time restricted eating, every other day eating, 5/2 fasting, etc, etc

Violet3135 - Hang in there! I think you are wise to take any single week's weigh-in result in stride. Strive for that vigilant adherence - I find it helpful to think of each point from the checklist as either / or, i.e., either I adhered to this particular point or I did not. :)

cmurphy - Very nice loss, and great work doing better and better with exercise! Sounds like you had a solid week and you know where to focus your attention moving ahead; the SNAP meals work great, right?

BarbaraLynn - Yay! A successful week adhering to all 10 points (including exercise) is what I like to hear! :thumbsup: Sounds like a strong week, and I applaud you for listening to your body when that hike became painful.

jkcook - Nice loss, Janet! Keep aiming toward moving that "pretty good" toward "great!" Might it be useful, rather than thinking about giving up that sushi completely, to consider doing an August "experiment" where you omit it and see how that feels? That's only one month and may provide some information to better inform your ultimate decision. After all, adherent sushi rolls are available as an option. Just a thought. :)

VNiehoff - That scale keeps on moving in the right direction! I'm sorry you're dealing with discomfort in your hip - good for you in being mindful about not reaching for calorie rich processed foods as a "salve." Veggies for the win!

rlechols - That needle on your scale continues moving downward though! How fun to keep being pleasantly surprised on weigh-in day! Looks like an A+ week to me. :D If you are able to post your before and after pictures, I have no doubt that many would find them encouraging. Kudos for your excellent efforts! Information for everyone, in regard to posting images -
Mark Cooper wrote:I use flickr for my photos. You can get a free account (if you don't already have one) and then upload the images you want to share. For a specific image, if you select the share button, then BBCode, you can just cut and paste the code for the image into a post here on the forum. (You may know all this already, but I thought a quick primer might benefit everyone :D ).
The code to embed an image looks like this
Code: Select all
[img]URL for your picture goes here[/img]

OrangeBird - Down 2.6 pounds! Your assiduous attention to daily exercise is definitely worth feeling good about! Did any particular developments in your day on last Friday or Tuesday contribute to those deviations? I would certainly agree that watermelon is a far superior choice to a bowl of chips. :-D

Amberlina - Kudos! I think you've successfully assessed that including some adherent snack options in your preparation will be a great support, particularly as you continue to incorporate exercise. Might be worth taking some time to put together a solid plan for your father-in-law's visit, so you'll be planning for success! :D

vegyluvver - Congrats on the loss, Val! Adhering more and more closely to the MWL 10-Point Checklist is exactly the direction you want to be moving. Any idea how to reduce (or eliminate) those days when you "have to figure out what to make when already hungry?" If you can solve that problem in advance (when you aren't hungry) it should make for smooth sailing.

CindyD - Fantastic result, no doubt supported by your attention to adherence! In regard to being overfull, I tend to use physical comfort as my personal measure; I'd just continue to use your best judgement, as you seem to be doing already by being mindful of this point. Are you including the flaxseed based on any particular directive or concern? Keep in mind, the recommendation is to
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Thank you for the very kind comments! I think your closing sentiment deserves to be quoted!
CindyD wrote:Good luck everyone! Setbacks are totally understandable, just get back on the horse!

Hope410 - Cheers! I'm glad to see you back and reporting; I'm especially sympathetic to being offline, after our recent power outages here in Princeton! Have a great week and keep working to turn those remaining 90's into 100's. :nod:

squealcat - It is always a delight to see you here in the group, Marilyn! And down a pound already! I think making yourself intentionally aware of the demotivating effect an "off" scale result can have, and focusing your idea of success on the recommended behaviors is wise; forewarned is forearmed. It appears you had a successful week implementing those behaviors, and you have a good idea of what areas will be rewarded by further attention. If you haven't seen it already, Jeff has a great thread providing support for Dining Out. Enjoy the sprouts - you're making me want to rustle up some!

Trish - I think it is natural to feel discouraged when the results we are seeking don't manifest on the scale, but if you can, try to temper your disappointment. Right now you are feeling puzzled and confused, but this situation does have a solution. As your rundown of the MWL 10-Point Checklist suggests, there are some areas where you might better support your efforts - eliminating higher fat plant foods, calorie dense foods, and liquid calories. The MWL guidelines advise limiting fruit to 2 servings per day (on average), which Jeff discusses in more detail here, I made a fairly lengthy post on fruit here. Don't neglect to include adequate starch each time you eat; toward the bottom of this post, Jeff helps explain the philosophy behind following the 50/50 principle, even for snacks. It is nearly impossible to accurately count calories, for all the reasons Jeff outlines in How to Successfully Count Calories; I think having that daily "calorie count" in our heads can actually be counterproductive - in my own case, I believe my past attempts with calorie counting really stood in the way of my progress. Try not to let the feedback from the scale take the "driver's seat" for your efforts; instead, concentrate on adhering to the recommended pattern of behavior and the scale will sort itself out over time. Of course, you should definitely proceed as feels necessary (in consultation with your physician) for managing your type-1 diabetes. Do you feel like you might be willing to take a break from tracking with Fitness Pal, try two weeks of strict adherence to the MWL 10-Point Checklist in all respects and see how things go?

Kathie - Kudos! Keep working toward fully adhering to those points where there is room for improvement. If you feel like you have a tendency to consistently overeat whole grain pasta, it would be fine to exclude it; often that problem can be solved by serving the pasta primavera-style, with an equal visual volume of non-starchy vegetables.
JeffN wrote:Whole grain pasta is allowed on the MWL. Remember to follow the 50/50 with it and load the dish with lots of non-starchy vegetables.
Chocolate is not recommended for MWL; Jeff has a thorough thread on the topic here, discussing the various considerations and his recommendations / allowances which might give you some direction.

GreenFroG - Great progress! You deserve to feel good about this week! I'm glad you found those links and information helpful. Keep working out those "little bugs," it is an ongoing process and everyone faces a learning curve. :thumbsup:

laura_delao - Keep working and keep learning! :thumbsup: I'm glad you are enjoying that breakfast "dessert!" Focusing on continuing improvement in practicing the recommended pattern of behavior is a solid approach. Any ideas for making your next experience dining out one that is adherent? It feels exciting to have a whole month filled with new opportunities ahead!

Vegeloon - Hang in there! Mindless eating never leads us in the right direction, but you seem to have made a hasty return to "reality" and to a pattern more conducive to your goals. Being stocked up and ready always helps. Happy birthday! Give yourself a great gift; let's see how many of those 75's can transform into 100's!

Renestl - Sorry to hear you were dealing with swelling this week! Continue with the progress you are making, doing better and better in eliminating animal foods, oil, calorie dense processed foods, and reducing added salt. I totally agree that satisfying one's hunger with adequate starch makes overall adherence more easily achieved. Onward!

ladevereaux - Off to an auspicious start, Leslie! Great work eliminating that sweet tea! Aim for continuing headway on that "work in progress;" keep reducing added sugar where you can and as you are able, eliminate the liquid calories, and work on excluding those calorie dense foods - it can really help to have adherent starches, non-starchy vegetable and fruit prepared and ready to go, so making your best choice at any given time feels as easy as possible. My preferred salad dressing is a mix of lemon juice, cider vinegar, and balsamic vinegar, but keep in mind that salads are not required; starting meals with soup satisfies the guideline and may be preferable. This is Jeff's favorite salad dressing; there are also several dressings included in the MWL recipes. Keep doing the best you can!
Mark Cooper

Postby Dot » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Initial Weight: July 3/20 - 150 lbs Goal: 130-135 lbs
Monthly Loss: July - 5 lbs
Initial Weight: Aug 1/20 - 145 lbs
Aug 7/20 -143 Loss 2 lbs

1. Exercise: walking or rowing every day for 30 minutes.
2. Concentrating on non starchy veggies to fill half the plate where starch used to be.
3.Exploring new condiments and ways of preparing food, so I can enjoy the MWL as much as I do the regular McDougall diet.
4.Trying to put food in perspective, as less of a way to avoid or console or jump start myself. The reduction of cravings has certainly helped with this.
On weeks when I lose weight, the scale is my greatest source of inspiration, on the weeks where nothing happens this discussion group has kept me from getting in the dumps and reverting to old, bad habits.
Thank you, all! I have such admiration for your struggles and appreciation of your advice.
D.
Dot

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Apologies for forgetting to ask this in my weigh in post. Couldn’t quite find the answer to this in the search function. Is it ok to have banana “nice” cream if it’s in my fruit quota? It’s seriously baking hot in the U.K. right now and I could do with something cold! I just make mine with bananas and a little water? Thanks again!
PonysPlants

Postby connielovesdogs » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:11 pm

-1 lb
CW: 189

Happy Friyay!

I knew this week might show a slightly smaller weight loss since last week I lost 3.5. Another factor is that yesterday I had to resort to a canned soup due to a last minute schedule change. That meant 1080 mg of sodium, so maybe tomorrow that will be down.

Did well this week on all points for the most part. During the work week I would like to get up earlier so I can go exercise when it isn't 100 degrees out, but sometimes sleep feels more important.

I finally made the salad dressing that Mark had recommended to me in July. It was amazing!
connielovesdogs

Postby wstokes » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:51 pm

-.6 lbs.
Had to scramble the past 36 hrs to beat back a gain for the week. I’m not a star student reporting on my 10 MWL points...last week there was a lapse in attention to calorie density and eating until full. Not a good combo for lapsing. I needed a challenging Peloton class today to help come in this week without a gain.

Next week should be better!
wstokes

Postby chaz01 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Weight Change
Week: -1.8 lbs
August: -1.8 lbs
Year: -79.4 lbs

I was hoping I might be able to break 80lbs for the year, but I'm just a bit short. Hopefully, it will have to wait till next week.

Still doing well following the MWL 10 point guidelines, with the possible exception of drinking your calories. I think I did really well balancing my plate 50/50 with some rice and/or grains topped with some fresh CSA vegetables in season. This week I got tomatillos and jalapeño's in our box, and that can only mean one thing - salsa verde! I made my a fresh batch and used it as a dressing to top my rice bowl - it was delicious!

I do have a couple of social outings next week so I'm hoping to keep things in check and keep my progress going!

Hoping everyone is having a good and safe week!

Chuck
chaz01

Postby GreenGables » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Weight change: minus one

Hubby has been helping with the cooking the past couple weeks because my blood pressure is still quite low and I’m weak. He makes flavorful dishes with a few added “cheats” like soy sauce, tofu, and maple syrup; I wish he wouldn’t use these ingredients but if I make other suggestions he gets frustrated and decides not to cook. (I’ve explained SNAP meals to him a few times, but he’d rather find an interesting recipe.) I find that after one of hubby’s flavorful dinners, my “normal” lunches or dinners are not satisfying my taste buds. Thus, I’ve come to appreciate the wisdom of the mono-eating concept, consuming basically the same five or six or seven meals each week. Find some things you like and keep eating them. Don’t over-stimulate the palate because it’s hard to go back; it takes a few days to restore enjoyment of your usual foods again.

Mark: Last week I tried to quote hollyhock about her dressing frustration and was responding to that. But the quote seemed to be missing from my post – although it appeared in the preview. (??) Anyway, to answer your question, yes I have tried the dressing without any nuts or seeds added: Blah. It truly has become my “treat” dressing, though. I started out by decreasing the fat content in increments, then I added raw zucchini. After that, I started making it every other time, trying a bean dressing in between. After a month, I made it every third time. About 2 months later I switched to every 4th time. And then one day I realized that I hadn’t made my “treat” dressing in a long time… The last time I made it, I used 2T. hemp seeds instead of cashews. (Recall that those 2 T. make at least 6 servings of the final dressing.) I made a mental note to try flax seeds next time. It’s been at least 3 months since then and that “next time” is still in the future… Just thought that hollyhock might find that perspective helpful. Keep trying new dressings in between a lower fat version of the dressing you like; slowly stretch the time interval when you make the “treat” dressing and perhaps in a few months down the road, you’ll naturally let it go. That said, I still have not discovered another dressing that I enjoy; I just tolerate them. Before joining MWL, I would put leftover potato or rice on my salad with leftover flavored beans and their juices, or maybe a leftover cold stew from the night before. They added interest and flavor to the salad, minimizing the desire for added dressing. A salad with potatoes and beans could end up being my dinner. But MWL seems to discourage this practice: eat salad first, then veggies and starch. So I am back to experiencing hollyhock’s frustration. Many people are satisfied with citrus juice or vinegar/balsamic vinegar on their salad, but sadly not me. I have seven cherry tomato plants that are producing very tasty additions for my salad so I don't use much dressing these days.
GreenGables

Postby LesleyMills » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks for letting me post a day late BTW.
5th week weigh in was 178lbs now 178lbs, no loss.
Ok to say I am disappointed that I haven't lost weight this week is an understatement especially as I didn't record much of a weight loss last week. I have stuck to the program, I went cold turkey on everything at the start of this and have been sticking to the plan and I am not sure what's happening here. So what has changed in my life? I did start a yoga program, doing an online class each day but I don't see how that affected things. We're also only allowed one walk a day here in level 4 lockdown and my foster dog had an operation on her foot so our walks have been quite short of late, guessing I'm not getting the exercise I should. Looking at the food, I have been eating a large number of potatoes as I'm now addicted to baked potatoes having a stack of cold ones in the fridge for when I get the nibbles but I have also been eating other non starchy veggies. I have soup for lunch and dinner ie for very meal and the odd salad aswell but maybe I've had too many potatoes and not enough veggies?

Well onward and upward or downward hopefully this coming week. The dog's foot is better so we can take longer walks and I'll also continue with the yoga. I won't get disheartened and will double down on this, increasing veggies and lowering the potatoes maybe is the key. I wish everyone else well in the coming week and stay safe.
LesleyMills

Postby VivianS » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:06 pm

VivianS August 7, 2020
Weight change -1.8 pounds
I succeeded on MWL points 1,2,5,6,10
I am giving more attention to 3,4,7,8,9 10
3 Sugar in tea for late night babysitting. I know now that every Wednesday is going to be late and I will rest more and schedule better activities so no tea is needed. I can even go to bed with the kids and leave after Nannie arrives. I can drive home refreshed.
4 I threw the mayonaise away after that tablespoon serving.
7 Refined foods: Pringles again. My husband has started to ask for brown rice instead of having Pringles. He is running interference for me and gaining the health benefit for both of us!
8 I drank sweet tea to stay awake one night. There is no such thing as unsweetened tea. I've heard stories about that, but MWL guidelines recommend water. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
9 HUNGRY! One day I was out of my food I took with me. Larry needed help so I spent time doing his project. I need to keep an extra serving pack of fruit or rice and veggies in my car. Anything that goes in the house gets eaten. My niece was amazed to see her two year old son eating broccoli. I can leave an apple on my car seat or in my car ice chest. I always used to keep graham crackers for the kids, but I don't need to eat those.
10 I've been to the foot doctor (podiatrist) today. New pads on my orthotics will make my walking more comfortable. She suggested wearing my white cotton socks inside out to keep the smoother side next to my skin. She clipped an ingrown toenail that I couldn't cut.
Thanks, Mark Cooper, you are part of a great team of folks helping me reach my goal of living healthier, longer. Your kind words are encouraging me.
Jeff Novick's video on YouTube about preparing enough food to last several meals has enabled me to pass the restaurants and have food on my diet. I can also let others eat what they wish (even if it is some of my broccoli or brown rice).
Thank you, Dr. McDougall and family for making the truth about the STARCH SOLUTION available to everyone else. I like the often repeated comment that he allows his patients a dash of salt and a little sugar because he wants his patients to eat the food. I'm finding stir fry kits in the grocery store. I cook them without oil, but that little bit of Teriyaki sauce (70 calories÷3= not much!) helps me eat the food. I can also leave it out since it is in a separate packet.
I also found a new way to burn food before it even gets in the pot! I had my rice in a metal measuring cup next to the pot as I waited for the water to boil in the pot on my gas burner. When I poured the rice in the water, several grains were burned to the inside of the measuring cup. Live and learn! I am thankful that the metal measuring cup didn't get hot enough to burn me! I have also learned that I can make regular brown rice in a double boiler. I have not found an acceptable rice cooker yet. The last one my husband bought had a Teflon coating on the inside. I'm glad the store took it back.
I bought a new product cheaper (Quick Sale) before it ran out of its freshness date. One cup of "stir fry" veggie mix (prepared with water) and a cup of undressed (naked?) TOSSED SALAD (I didn't know salad wore clothes!) became the 50% nonstarchy side of my plate and 1 cup of brown rice plus one cup ofchickpeas made the other 50% starchy side of my plate ( covered bowl that travels with me). That fresh packet of stir fry, 10 minute brown rice and a can of chickpeas plus a few minutes in the kitchen made 3 meals for me. The drive through lane requires more time for just ONE meal that costs more and hurts my body. Dr. McDougall's MWL PROGRAM is helping me!
Thanks for telling the old truth about food that modern society seems to have forgotten, lost or been brainwashed to eat unhealthy things. The truth is setting me free from fat and sickness one simple meal at a time.
Blessings to all of you,
VivianS
VivianS

Postby Golightly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Weight change: -1
So happy that I slipped off of my little plateau and managed to lose another pound this week! Yay! I added in more salads with each meal and upped my exercise.
I did very well with the 10 point checklist with these exceptions:
I had dried cranberries twice and homemade tortilla chips (from oil free tortillas) twice.
Discoveries: what best motivates me is losing weight, but what also motivates me is listening to the variety of presentations on eating vegan and/or rereading books and the great links to articles on this website.
Question: is it OK to have fruit with my oatmeal for breakfast or do I also need to have greens? I always have greens and or non-starchy vegetables with other meals throughout the day. But have been making an assumption that fruit is fine with breakfast without building in the non-starchy vegetable.
Thanks for all you do to support and encourage us! Have a wonderful week.
Golightly

Postby Noella » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Dear Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff and everyone following the MWL guidelines,

Weight change since last week: -2 lb.
Weight change since starting McDougall Starch Solution Jan. 2020: -67 lbs.
Weight change since starting McDougall MWL Apr. 2020: -25 lbs.

I had another good experience following the guidelines this week. Although we had company stay with us for a few days, my fridge and pantry were well stocked with healthy vegetables and fruits so I was able to serve delicious MWL-adherent meals to our guests which helped me stay on track with the MWL guidelines. I also served a few non-MWL foods, but I not only didn’t indulge, I wasn’t even interested.

It feels fantastic to weigh almost seventy pounds less than seven months ago. My motivation is with me at every step: My knees feel happier with each pound I lose! ;-)

I am so excited and appreciative to be part of this group! Thank you to all participants for sharing your experiences. Thank you, Mark, Wildgoose and Jeff all of your recommendations, links to information, encouragement and support. I read everything you suggest. I’m inspired!

Best regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Noella

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program