August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby cmurphy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:46 am

Good morning. Back on track!
Loss=2.4lbs.
Foot is better so am walking more again! Still only ~50% compliance with the exercise goal, but better than previous weeks. Added sugar was a smal issue also, ~85%. But the other guideline points were good. Sleeping better too. Tried my first SNAP meals also!
Thank you.
cmurphy

Postby BarbaraLynn » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:51 am

Good morning everyone!

Weight Loss this week: - 3 (Yay)

I had a successful week with all MWL steps this week and was able to really incorporate exercise at last. I'm feeling so strong! I took a couple of days off work earlier in the week and went hiking both days. On Monday, I hiked 5 hours at three different locations. The first park I hiked for 2.5 hours and then in the afternoon, after a good lunch, decided to check out two other parks I'd not visited before. Great fun. On Tuesday, I went to a park an hour north of me recommended by a colleague and I hiked for 90 minutes and began to feel some pain in my foot, so cut it short. Overall though, I had a marvelous time. Fresh greens (collards and kale) are beautiful this summer and I'm enjoying them daily. The watermelon and strawberries are also nice and have enjoyed them as well.

Have a wonderful week everyone.
BarbaraLynn
BarbaraLynn

Postby jkcook » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:19 am

-1 Continuing on from the July group.
I’m Janet and I’m a retired schoolteacher now living in Utah.

On the 10 things, I’m pretty good on everything. My biggest problem is quantity and I do like tofu and Gardein stuff and salmon sushi. Too many years living in Asia to give up salmon sushi completely. I tend to walk or an hour or two each morning with my kids dog.

I found the idea of complying with reporting in each week helped in July, so I’m hoping to continue in August.
jkcook

Re: July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby VNiehoff » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:37 am

Weight loss: -1.4 lbs.
Total lost: -5.2
Trying to stay on track. Hip still keeping me less active. Since I am definitely an emotional eater, I am trying to make sure I don't turn to junk when I'm hurting. The power of veggies! so glad I joined this!
VNiehoff

Postby rlechols » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:38 am

Last week's weight: 146 lbs
This week's weight: 145 lbs
Loss of 1.0 lb

I envy you people with scales that report such accurate weights. Mine only reports in half pound increments. However, I'm very pleased this week. I somehow lost a little more. It has taken me 2 months to lose 5 lbs.I keep thinking I must be at equilibrium and no more will come off, and it keeps surprising me. I was absolutely adherent to all 10 guidelines this week. I did not have even 1 bite of anything off plan, which feels good. I walked 97,000 steps last week as well, and continued with my strength training 5 days a week too. I know my scale reads 5 lbs heavy, so my current BMI is now 23.3. I think I'm going to try my best to lose just 5 more which should put me at a BMI of 22.5. But honestly, I'm just happy continuing as I have been, being active and following the guidelines consistently week to week.

I keep meaning to sit down and figure out how to post my before and after pictures. If I can find time to work on that this weekend, I will. Perhaps it will help encourage someone else.
rlechols

Postby OrangeBird » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 am

July SW-240
August CW-227
This week- down 2.6lbs

Pretty compliant although I did have some air popped popcorn last Friday night and a serving of tofu on Tuesday. I also have been eating a bit too much fruit as I got a really good watermelon the other day but better it than a bowl of chips. I have worked out for 30 mins everyday this week so feeling really good about that.

51 days until my daughter's wedding...hopefully
OrangeBird

Postby Amberlina » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 am

Weight change +/- in lbs - (0)
Total loss since 7/7/2020: (-6)
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week- Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention-
I ate well and followed the checklist except for snacking, which I haven't felt a need for until this week.
I was able to get exercise in. I have a feeling it's the reason why I didn't see a change and I will need to adapt to this. 1. In building muscle , it weighs more than fat. 2. I noticed I was hungrier on the days I worked out and I didnt prep for that. I reached for less nutrient dense fast snacks because I had only budgeted for meals.
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support-
Add to my structured menu to include snacks that are healthy.
Father-in-law coming to visit- need to really watch myself!
I still feel that I am doing great and I feel good too!
I am having fun looking for new recipes that are compliant lately. I miss Mary Mcdougall's Fast and Easy Cookbook. Hoping I can find it at a library. It was one of my favorites about 10 years ago when I was doing this before. In the meantime, the website has plenty of variety.
Amberlina

Postby vegyluvver » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:18 am

-1.4 lbs this week, so a total of 2 lbs lost since I started in July. Had a few slips, but all in all, I kept closer to all the guidelines except exercise. I'm not ready for that yet. I do have an exercise bike, but the seat is uncomfortable so I get pain and numbness if I ride for more than a few minutes.

I keep saying it, but my good food days are when I have starches already prepped. Bad days are when I have to figure out what to make when I'm already hungry.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby CindyD » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:20 am

Starting weight July 6, 2020: 211.7

July 31, 2020: 195.3
August 7, 2020: 192.3
WEIGHT CHANGE: -3.0

Doing great on most of the 10 points with a few comments:

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). I have been adding about 1 Tbsp ground flax once per day, but nothing else.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Mostly? No starving, but after a big salad in the evening I have a big bowl of soup or chili, usually with rice or potato or other starch, and sometimes I feel just a bit overfull when I finish it. I think I need to work on leaving some in the bowl if I am full.

But it's also hard to say! I don't feel sick or in pain or anything. Maybe it's really what full feels like? I can't complain about my progress so maybe this is fine, but something to look at if progress stalls.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). This one needs work. I walk my two small dogs twice a day for 30-40 min each time, but they are slow and stop to sniff everything so I need to do something else.

I also want to say thank you so much to Dr. Novick and Mark and everyone. It is so wonderful and nice that you reply to every post and you guys are just so great(And patient. And very kind.) This is my second report, as I joined the forum at the end of August. Going to try to TRY to stop weighing every day or even every other day because I know that is not ideal.

Good luck everyone! Setbacks are totally understandable, just get back on the horse! :-D
CindyD

Postby Hope410 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:02 am

Hi Mark,

Weight change for this week: -1.6 LBS. This includes a weight loss of 1 LB from July 31st. I was unable to post last week's result due to my internet provider being off line until 2:30 on Saturday.

Points 1, 3, 7, 10 were all 90% this week.

Points 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 were all 100%.

Looking forward to continuing into August.

Have a great week everyone!
Hope410

Postby squealcat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:06 am

Hello ! I am excited to join this MWL August group and weighed myself right after vacation which ended August 1.

Starting weight: 203.1
Today's weight: 202.1

Total loss for the week: 1#

I have been doing a lot of self talk. I am continuing to concentrate on the 10 MWL points and trying not to let those scale numbers side track me (which has happened before). As Mark said, changing behavior is a goal for this group. So I will work on behavior change.

Success on the 10 Pt list: #1, #2, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10

Working on reducing salt: I have cut out a lot of salt this week but found myself giving that shaker a couple of extra shakes many times. Will give it just a few sprinkles this week. Also, going out to eat is a major stresser for me and, while I followed MWL at home, I really didn't the two times we went out to eat. This week I will order salad, leaving out any cheese and dressing and bring my own balsamic vinegar and beans for topping. I will do that once to see if I can do this without dying :lol: . We usually only go out to eat once a week especially since Covid. I also have trouble sticking to two fruits each day but keep working on it.

One fun thing I added: Sprouts ! I started sprouting this week and it is SO fun ! I added my salad sprouts to oatmeal this morning and it was so good ! Added a little flavor and lots of crunch ! I will start broccoli sprouts soaking tonight !

Have a good week everyone !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Trish » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:09 am

Weighing in and assessing for this past week... I missed last week's weigh in :-( ... sorry.

Current weight: 123
Last week: 121.5

Not too happy with this gain... hanging in there.

- Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Fruit in my salads or on the side, sometimes for dessert.

- Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. YES
Meals are large salads with veggies, corn, potatoes, and beans in them or cooked veggies/potato. Fruit for dessert
- No sugar, salt infrequent.
- Vegan
- Eliminate all higher fat plant foods ... this is where I make small alterations that are not on plan which see below
- Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Once
- Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. 9 out of 10, one day grazing on approved foods but more than only meals, hungry.
- Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: daily walks or runs, 45minutes to an hour.

This month is a learning experience for me, but I am unsure what I need to learn..

I have the exceptions/off plan foods just explaining:
Eat a lot of fruit too much?), as a T1 diabetic I need it for low blood sugar. One day had 8 ounces apple juice for this reason, needed sugar in me fast
Tempeh/soy, - as a regular runner, I have found that I need some additional protein for energy .. Went without it and realized this again. Several mornings a week, up to 3 ounces.
One dinner, ate rice crackers, about 15 (120 calories in 38 of them) - no excuse!

I am very confused about weight gain other than the obvious "add-in's" above, which SEEM minor enough that metabolism would not be affected, given activity level and overall compliance. Calorically, gain seems unlikely? And they are McDougall just not MWL.

I don't know what to do, except continue. And be trying for total compliance and just let the rest of it be!

Do you see anything I could add or subtract or change, or just hang in there...
I missed last week because of feeling so discouraged, to be honest. I will hang in here because that is what I want to do.

Thanks for listening to all of this.. at least I am here again :? :D
Last edited by Trish on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Trish

Postby Kathie » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:15 am

Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Mostly.

Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Did fruit for dessert when wanted it.

Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Mostly.

Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Good.

Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Ate a couple of things in this category. Got them out of house today.

Eliminate any added oil. Good.

Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Had a few meals of MWL spaghetti sauce with whole wheat pasta. May not be wise for me to keep the ww pasta around the house.

Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Good.

Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Probably should just limit meals since tend to overeat when hungry, esp. after going to gym.

Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Good.

Is there any way to eat some kind of chocolate on MWL? I do crave chocolate occasionally and try to eat other things like fruit, but it never satisfies and end up overeating the fruit.

Kathie

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:25 am

Hello everyone,

Weight change: -1.4
Current weight: 151.6
Yeah! Felt good about the loss this week after holding steady last week.
Review of my checklist:
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :arrow: Had two times where I didn't get this in before the meal.
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. :)
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :arrow: see comment below on gourmet sugars :eek:
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)
6) Eliminate any added oil. :)
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :)
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :)
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)

Thank you Mark for posting the information about cholesterol & triglycerides in your comments the last week of July. It was very informative as I did not understand the differences before, and how much I have to watch my sugars. Also found the link to balsamic vinegars helpful, as I was using the glazed balsamic without realizing I was drizzling "gourmet sugar" on my salads. I am learning a lot from reading the links you put in the threads, as well as all your comments. Am now using plain balsamic vinegar and watching my fruit intake for my triglycerides. This week I will continue to examine my adherence to the checklist, making sure I focus on 1 & 3. I want to make sure I have all the little bugs worked out before I get down to a weight where I don't have any wiggle room for error.

Have a great week!
GreenFroG

Postby Trish » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:28 am

Hey Mark, I streamlined the exceptions to MWL in an edited post, in case that is more clear.
Thanks for your upcoming feedback!
Last edited by Trish on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trish

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program