August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby NateKruse » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:47 am

Height: 6' 5"
03 January 2020 weight: 276.6 pounds.
07 August 2020 weight: 221.6 pounds.
15 August 2020 weight: 221.0 pounds.
21 August 2020 weight: 219.2 pounds.
28 August 2020 weight: 222.0 pounds.

Change this week: +2.8 pounds.
Change this year: -54.6 pounds.

I didn't expect to gain that much. I think a lot of this can be contributed to the previously mentioned meals out for lunch last Thursday and Friday that wouldn't have had time to cause weight gain until this week. Sunday and Monday I ate an entire batch of cookies each day made from an old package of Muesli, dates, almond milk, and one batch with chocolate chips and cocoa powder. I also have been eating whole-wheat pasta almost every night which I believe is considered compliant.

I realized I was sliding down a slippery slope so on Tuesday I recommitted to the Maximum Weightloss Principles including limiting fruit to two servings a day. I also restarted the two 45 minute workouts every day. If the pasta prevents weighloss with strict adherence this week, I will eliminate it.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.YES
  2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
  3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO Still using garlic salt for seasoning.
  4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
  5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
  6. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO Cookies made with dates and muesli.
  7. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
  8. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
  9. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).YES
NateKruse

Postby texaslil » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:43 am

It was a good week :-D I stuck closely to the 10 points w/ only a few deviations, see below. I do think I suffer from monthly bloating and that might have accounted for some of the weight gain last week. Overall, it's disheartening to see such fluctuations in my weight from week to week, but when I put it in the perspective of monthly bloating it makes sense.

lbs lost: 2
lbs last week 183.2
lbs this week 181.2

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. mostly adhearing to this.. although I also incorporate the salad into my meal to bulk it up
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method; Choose fruit for desert. YES
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. YES
4) Eliminate all animal foods YES
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. had some avocado in my sushi
6) Eliminate any added oil. YES
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. had some air popped popcorn, just a bowl, really only because I found a used air popper at a garage sale ($3!) and was curious to use it!
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. No smoothie this week!
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. still feeling good here
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. 6 out of 7 mostly walking
texaslil

Reporting for August 28 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for August 28 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:03 pm

Belana - It's always a fun surprise when you're able to check-in here! Here's your previous post; it appears you've lost ~1.3 lbs since July 31. It is hard for me to imagine what it would be like being on the road for that length of time. :eek: Your persistent effort to make everything work as best you can is impressive!
Belana wrote:When I give into the cram circuit or anything else that sabotages my health, I end up feeling a lot worse.
That has certainly been my experience, as well. To find your past posts, just click on your "User Control Panel" right under the Board Index, then click "show your posts" and you'll get a list of all your posts in reverse chronological order. Good journeys and persevere!

Wfpb2020 - Definite progress! That looks like a near-perfect week, excepting that single fast food meal! :) In case you (or anyone else) missed it, here's Jeff's response to your question.
JeffN wrote:
Wfpb2020 wrote:Could warm low sodium V-8 serve as a soup?
We do not recommend it because of health concerns, it has potassium chloride instead of the salt, which you can read more about here.....

viewtopic.php?t=11630

Also, it is liquid calories, so not a recommended choice for MWL. We want soups that are chock full of non-starchy veggies and even some starchy ones
If you haven't tried it already, you may want to check out Jeff's Longevity Soup. It's quick and simple to make, and easy to adjust for different palates by switching up the herbs and spices.

VivianS - Woo-hoo! Success on all 10 points and the results to match! Fantastic work!

jkcook - Congrats on being down 2 lbs! Being fine on all 10 points is right where you want to be! :thumbsup: Keep doing what you're doing, and whenever you feel hungry, just be sure to eat of the recommended foods.

Lachoffman - You seem to have had another solid week! Traveling and vacationing without a kitchen certainly can make things significantly more difficult; well done putting some thought and effort into preparing as best you could. If you haven't seen them already, Jeff's principles for Dining Out are really helpful. Congratulations on losing 29 lbs since July!

Noella - It sounds like you did your best, given the circumstances; finding a satisfactory meal when dining out can be a challenge even before taking into account the wants and needs of one's dining companions. I do think these lessons we learn "the hard way" regarding how we react to specific non adherent foods can be a very valuable and important part of the process that builds durable adherence. I know, in my case, those episodes of particular foods resulting in increased pain and inflammation were invaluable in moving toward my current pattern of 100% MWL (although I'm a little embarrassed with how long it took me to actually make that connection :oops: ). Hang on to these lessons and they will serve you well.

laura_delao - Looser fitting clothes are a pleasing development! It sounds like you're in the process of considering / deciding what pattern of behavior you want to pursue over the long-term; I think it's helpful to think about that in terms of a particular overall pattern of behavior yielding a corresponding equilibrium. I wish you a satisfactory outcome for those digestive woes. I'm so glad you found participating in the group to be a great experience!

chef16 - 2 more pounds gone! Your average weekly loss for August was 2.5 lbs, which is pretty much right on track. That work situation sounds VERY challenging, for sure. As you describe it, it would seem your best approach is to just keep making the best available choices, as well as really making the most of all the opportunities outside of the workplace for close adherence to the guidelines. As the weeks go by, perhaps those required restrictions will become somewhat less onerous?

Reni - Nice loss, in the face of this week's challenges! I think feeling satisfied with one's progress is an important piece of the puzzle. I can very much identify with that feeling of having a tenuous hold on one's behavior choices in the face of increased stresses (mental or physical). Give yourself credit for being mindful and recognizing that precarious afternoon window; figuring these things out and making the necessary changes is hard! Do you have any intuition about some barriers you might put in place to make it more difficult to turn toward non adherent foods during those most challenging moments? Sometimes even just getting troublesome foods away from the recommended foods, and out of sight can help. Try to look at yourself kindly, with consideration for how hard it can be to make these adjustments, and know that each week (or day or meal) is a fresh opportunity. :)

Zoey - That feeling of having "hit the wall" is naturally somewhat discouraging for many of us. I've found it helpful (if I know my behavior is aligned with the recommended pattern) to not think of these stretches as "stalled weight loss," but rather periods when positive changes may have not yet become visible to our methods of measurement, if that makes sense. I applaud your decision to go "all in" on eliminating that tiny amount of remaining alcohol. I know this is easy for me to say, but hard to do - if you can, try to focus your criteria for success on your pattern of behavior with respect to the recommendations and let the scale catch up with time. I think you are doing great. :)

Lucas - Cheers for 182! Was there anything different about this particular week that contributed to adherence feeling more difficult than past weeks? Considering the amount of weight you've lost over the previous two weeks, is it possible you were feeling more hungry than usual? I'm not sure if any of these would serve as a reasonable stand-in for the bouillon, but my personal favorite seasonings are Kirkland Organic No Salt Seasoning, Benson's Gusto Garlic Seasoning, and Penzey's Florida Seasoned Pepper. Forward or Mural of Flavor from Penzey's might perhaps approximate what you're after, but it seems likely that it is the salt and fat in that bouillon that makes it seem so hyperpalatable. Have you been using a sprinkle of salt on the surface of your food? If not, that might be worth a try as you continue to transition. 1/4 tsp of salt likely has less sodium than a tsp of the bouillon powder. Looks like you did great this week, barring that particular addition. Just to clarify, whole wheat vermicelli is suitable for the starch portion of a meal, with the same considerations as other pastas.

Dot - That seems like a very solid week! I think your intuition about making progress that isn't quite enough to be captured by your scale is likely on target; in any given week, the scale is at best an imprecise indicator (although helpful in the aggregate over time), so we have much more agency when we keep our focus on behavior. How nice that you were able to enjoy whole grain pasta, without triggering any unwanted habits. It has been my experience that, as long as I eat pasta "primavera-style" with an equal volume of non-starchy vegetables, it doesn't trouble me, either; like any specific food, it can be more of a trigger for some than others. Continue your admirable efforts, you'll gradually build that lifestyle along the way. :D

MonkeysMom - Kudos on being down 2.8 lbs! That does sound like a tough week! I hope you have a speedy return to functionality and feeling better! I applaud your mindfulness of things for which you can feel grateful - it feels like we all have to take our blessings where we find them right now. :) Keep doing the best you can; as long as those cookies are around to be tempted by, they seem likely to present a challenge - fortify your "willpower" with the recommended foods when you are hungry, to best meet that challenge.
Jeffn wrote:If you experience cravings for unhealthy foods, you can beat these cravings by choosing healthy foods to eat and knowing that these cravings will eventually pass and stop. However, you can not beat your biology (hunger) and your biology/hunger will eventually win.

Growing a Pear - Excellent work! As you observe, I'd expect your experience exhausting the impulse toward dry cereal will play out in a manner similar to the bread and Clif Bars. :nod: It seems like you're handling things in a sensible way. Slow, steady progress has many benefits, and I agree that being focused on getting the process right is advantageous.

Violet3135 - Kudos for showing up and reporting during a difficult week! Were you facing any new, particular challenges this week? Was any specific recommended behavior the biggest sticking point? Keep hanging in and doing your best! :)

BarbaraLynn - Sounds great! It's hard to ask for more than enjoying the recommended foods and how good you feel! :D

Gimmelean - Almost 10 lbs gone since the end of June! It appears you're making headway with each of the recommendations you're focused upon! I couldn't agree more about the MWL 10-Point Checklist offering welcome clarity amidst the cacophony of weight loss advice. Let me echo your thanks to Jeff for putting the checklist together!

Drew* - Your weight continues to work its way downward! It would seem that you're starting to map out the plans and routines that can make this way of eating durable and sustainable in your particular situation. I agree, as you figure things out with some trial and error, it is valuable to keep one's perspective within a frame that feels reasonable, while staying mindful of broader goals, opportunities and obstacles. Enjoy the "curry medley," sounds great!

Pattyj115 - YAY, success indeed! Great work eliminating eggs and cheese from your meals! I think nearly all of us deal with "weak willpower" in the face of tempting, highly palatable foods; the more you can do to make adherent foods the easy choice to reach for and erect roadblocks around the troublesome snacks, the stronger you will find your "willpower" getting, I would imagine. It does take some time for those sorts of cravings to fade and expire; if you're able to remove the most tempting items from your environment completely, it feels less taxing. It sounds like the urges for many of the other off plan foods are already waning, which is great. If the temperature is a problem with soup, how do you feel about gazpacho?

NateKruse - Hang in there! When it feels like you are on a slippery slope, recommitting to the MWL 10-Point Checklist is definitely the soundest approach, so well done! Whole Wheat pasta is acceptable for MWL, provided it doesn't lead you to overeat beyond being comfortably full, or spur other cravings. Be sure to have it with an equal volume of non-starchy vegetables.

texaslil - Nice loss, Laila! That does look like a good week! No smoothies! Really good progress, keep it up! :D
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - August 28, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for August 28 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for August 28 - Part 2

By my count, 47 participants reported for our fourth August 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the fourth Friday in August:

Week ending 8/28/2020: 47 participants reported a total loss of -38.20 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
NateKruse +2.80
Squealcat +2.70
Amberlina +2.00
Beeshell +1.90
Waterfit +1.30
Gimmelean +0.80
Total gains: +11.50
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Abe 0.00
Calharv 0.00
Dot 0.00
Golightly 0.00
GreenFroG 0.00
Josietheschnauzer 0.00
LesleyMills 0.00
Noella 0.00
Violet3135 0.00
Zoey 0.00
Growing a Pear -0.10
Drew* -0.30
Ladevereaux -0.30
BarbaraLynn -0.40
PonysPlants -0.40
Expat in NZ -0.60
Pattyj115 -0.60
Wfpb2020 -0.60
Lachoffman -1.00
Laura_delao -1.00
Rlechols -1.00
Renestl -1.10
Goal140 -1.20
Jan_npr -1.20
Belana -1.30
Hope410 -1.60
Reni -1.60
Wstokes -1.60
Cathy Ann -2.00
Chef16 -2.00
CindyD -2.00
Jkcook -2.00
Texaslil -2.00
Trish -2.00
OrangeBird -2.20
Kathie -2.30
Lucas -2.60
Creaky -2.70
MonkeysMom -2.80
VivianS -4.40
Connielovesdogs -4.80
Total losses: -49.70
Cumulative group loss for August 2020 to date: 240.30 pounds
Average loss for week ending August 28: 0.81 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2020: 120.63 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2020: 524.80 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 4, 2020, in the new September MWL group thread.

In aggregate, our group lost 240.3 pounds this month! That is more than the weight of two octopuses!

Wow! As we say goodbye to August, let me give a round of applause to all of you who participated this month! You have been taking the reins of your pattern of behavior, and steering toward a lifestyle that supports your goals. That is not a small achievement, and we should not take it for granted. :thumbsup:

I'm delighted that many participants, old and new, have decided to continue for September! I look forward to seeing your posts in the soon to appear September MWL Group thread.

The end of a month often presents a natural decision point, and I'm sure many of you are evaluating and considering how you want to proceed from here, what feels manageable, important or necessary in your current lives, and what behavior changes feel "worth it" from your current point of view.

In this post discussing "set point" theory, Jeff presents what I think is an especially utile perspective from which to contemplate the questions above.
JeffN wrote:I would argue that the set point theory may exist but not as commonly believed. That our weight is not the result of a certain predetermined number that our body fights to maintain but that our weight is the result of our maintaining an environment and a certain set of behaviors (diet, activity, etc) in a "zone" that we are most comfortable with. If we change these behaviors (the difficult part), we change the resulting weight and/or set point. Granted, this is not easy, but can be done. So, the question is, are we returning to a certain number/weight, or are we returning to a certain set of behaviors that result in that weight?

Did everyone's set point rise dramatically in the last 25 years? Or is this the result of a change in the environment and the behaviors related to energy balance including an increase in the availability of inexpensive calorie dense food, and a environment that encourages a sedentary lifestyle?
The prevailing pattern of behavior into which we ultimately settle will largely determine our outcomes with respect to weight loss, so it seems a matter of determining clearly what one wants to achieve, and what we are willing to change to achieve it.

I think the conclusions from this interesting mathematical model make the point very succinctly:

"An intermittent lack of diet adherence, not metabolic adaptation, is a major contributor to the frequently observed early weight-loss plateau."

My best wishes to everyone for a successful week (and month) to come! :D
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby BarbaraLynn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:41 pm

I've already reported this week, but just went back and looked at my tracker since joining on July 1st and I've lost 17 pounds in 2 months! Though I had a very small loss this week, I am thrilled with the overall results! MWL for the win!!! Onward!

Also, thank you Mark, for your amazing summaries each week!!!
BarbaraLynn
BarbaraLynn

Postby Growing a Pear » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:47 pm

BarbaraLynn wrote:Also, thank you Mark, for your amazing summaries each week!!!

Amen. Between everyone's comments and challenges, plus Mark's feedback on how to think through specific problems, I feel like I'm getting a masterclass in lifestyle change.
I just want to emphasize: It is the QUALITY of the food, not the QUANTITY. You are guaranteed success when following a starch-based and a simple diet. Monotony can be a key helper. ~Dr. John McDougall
Growing a Pear

Postby laura_delao » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Growing a Pear wrote:
BarbaraLynn wrote:Also, thank you Mark, for your amazing summaries each week!!!

Amen. Between everyone's comments and challenges, plus Mark's feedback on how to think through specific problems, I feel like I'm getting a masterclass in lifestyle change.

Very well said: getting a masterclass in lifestyle change!!
laura_delao

Postby Zoey » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:13 am

BarbaraLynn wrote:I've already reported this week, but just went back and looked at my tracker since joining on July 1st and I've lost 17 pounds in 2 months! Though I had a very small loss this week, I am thrilled with the overall results! MWL for the win!!! Onward!

Also, thank you Mark, for your amazing summaries each week!!!

Outstanding, BarbaraLynn! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Zoey

Postby Zoey » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:05 am

Mark, thanks for the reminder that good things are still happening in my body regardless of my broken scale. :wink:
Zoey

Postby icandoittoday » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:45 pm

Hi, I would like to join the september weigh in group.
I read the orientation informaiton. and I am committed.
please add me in.
Yael
icandoittoday

Postby BlackBeanSoup » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Welp, I weighed myself Friday morning and then completely forgot to post. I will make sure to report on time next week.

8/21 152.2
8/28 152.0 (-0.2 lbs)
BlackBeanSoup

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:17 pm

BarbaraLynn - Big congratulations to you! 17 pounds in 2 months is definitely thrilling! :D

icandoittoday - Welcome to the group! The September thread should go up tomorrow.

BlackBeanSoup - I look forward to seeing your report for the September 4 weigh-in. :)

Thanks to all for the kind words!
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:42 am

The September group thread is here. Any August participants who would like to continue for September automatically have a spot; you needn't take any further action.
Mark Cooper

Postby Wfpb2020 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:18 am

JeffN wrote:
Wfpb2020 wrote:Could warm low sodium V-8 serve as a soup?

We do not recommend it because of health concerns, it has potassium chloride instead of the salt, which you can read more about here.....

viewtopic.php?t=11630

Also, it is liquid calories, so not a recommended choice for MWL. We want soups that are chock full of non-starchy veggies and even some starchy ones

In Health
Jeff

Unbelievable!! I read the information you referenced. How does the food industry get away with this???? Thank you, Jeff.
Wfpb2020

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program