August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:52 pm

texaslil - You missed the window for this week's weigh-in summary, Laila, but checking in with an assessment of your week is always a good practice, anyway. :) Kudos for mostly sticking to the guidelines and staying on track! AND for choosing a lovely bowl of fruit over birthday cake! :thumbsup: As you settle into that groove, keep shoring up your daily routine and behaviors so you'll be poised to stay there - in the groove is where you want to be! Happy Birthday!
Mark Cooper

Postby VivianS » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:53 pm

VivianS August 8, 2020
I love getting the email link to new posts written by others. I have gotten more ideas from reading your comments. Thank you!
I didn't understand the reference to PLANT STOCK week.
Plant stock is a liquid remaining from cooking vegetables that can be used as a basis for soups, but I thought it may be a program or book or group time for suggestions about how to make it, how to store plant foods better or some other idea I have not considered. Please tell me what Plant Stock week is, when it is and if I need to do anything to participate in Food Stock week.
Thank you,
VivianS
VivianS

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:05 pm

Plant-Stock is an event focused on whole food plant based eating, normally held at the Esselstyn family farm; this year, I believe, it is being convened online. I do want to remind participants that the MWL Guidelines and the MWL 10-Point Checklist are the program we will follow exclusively within this group; Dr. Esselstyn's recommendations align very closely with the principles of the McDougall program, but if I'm not mistaken, Plant-Stock features a fairly wide-ranging variety of speakers, not all of whom may necessarily line up with the principles of MWL.

Remember, The Road to Success is Creating Healthy Habits. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Trish » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:22 pm

THANK you Mark for all or your suggestions and links!! I think you are right about the calorie approach, and it has been with me for a very long time as a check in... and I understand the advantages of simply looking at the plate. I would love to become a more “intuitive” eater, if it is possible.. I will try!

See you here next week! Trish
Trish

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Trish - Sounds good! I think you might also find this thread of interest - Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety.
Mark Cooper

Postby Beeshell » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Hello, I know I missed the deadline for the weigh in for yesterday but still wanted to post.

Weight change: -.5

Points where I succeeded: all except still the same issue with #7. Eating too much processed and will continue to work on this as I progress. ALSO: I swerved into some sugar consumption this week as it is my birthday.
Here's a huge source of excitement: eating chocolate in the form of brownies on Monday did NOT feel good. In fact, that night and last night when I also consumed some sugar in the form of chocolate greatly impacted my sleep AND how I feel today. Much in the way that drinking alcohol used to. I'm excited about this because the change in habits (mostly eliminating processed sugar and chocolate) have made me WANT to eat fruit instead. This is huge for me. IN the past, a birthday breakfast would have been the treat of an almond croissant. Today, I ate a delicious nectarine.

Thank you. That is the best present.

Welcome to new folks and looking forward to continuing this journey. :mrgreen:
Beeshell

Postby Lucas » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:52 pm

Gimmelean wrote:SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x91\x8D\x0A2...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Maybe my post really does appear 8 times

I think I was getting this same error when trying to add Apple IOS emojis in my posting. Took them out and started using the built in smilies.
Lucas

Postby pootsy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:59 am

Good morning!
Just checking in before I am permanently lost. Missed a week with hurricane prep. This past week has been so stress filled, on so many levels that I just realized today is Sunday, not Saturday. Getting the support I need there.... but I need this MWL program and support for the food and behaviors around eating.
"....to change that outcome, it is necessary to change that behavior"
So, I will begin again and recommit to a compliant week. THIS I have the ability to control. In all of our lives , so much is completely out of our control but affects us immensely.
Just finished my steel cut oatmeal and blueberries, and feel better already!
Looking into a CSA program for produce---- I belonged to one from a Long Island farm when I lived in NY and loved the surprise of what was in the boxes each week.
Have a safe and healthy week everyone!
pootsy

Postby PonysPlants » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks so much for the frozen fruit suggestion, Mark. So simple I felt a bit silly for not thinking of it!
PonysPlants

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:21 pm

Beeshell - Better late than never! :D Those calorie rich processed foods present a high hurdle for many, but you can clear it - the more fully and longer you're able to refrain from those foods, the less sway they should exert. What an exciting discovery you made in being mindful of the way you were affected by eating that chocolate - that is a potent lesson to inform your future decisions! Really wanting to choose fruit for your celebratory breakfast, instead of more troublesome possibilities, sounds like it has you feeling invigorated! Happy Birthday - keep enjoying those nectarines (and starches & veggies)!

Lucas - Thanks for sharing that observation. The formatting tags for our posts run on BBCode, so it makes sense that IOS emojis could make for glitches.

pootsy - I'm so sorry to hear your week has been so stress-filled, but I'm very glad that you made it through the preparations, stress and adverse weather (none the worse for wear, I hope)! Today is always the best time to begin anew, recommitted and back on track. You're right that there are so many troubling aspects of our world that are out of our control, but how we choose to behave and our personal decisions are one place we have agency. Way to start off right with a great decision to breakfast on oatmeal and blueberries - breakfast of champions! We've been absolutely loving our weekly CSA box here in NJ, the heirloom tomatoes have started to roll in over the past two weeks and they are delicious.

PonysPlants - I'm so happy that idea hit the mark; no need to feel silly, often it's just a matter of perspective. Keep cool!
Mark Cooper

Postby josietheschnauzer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:44 pm

Dear Rachel, thank you for posting your before and after pictures! "A picture is worth a thousand words." You look great and are an inspiration! :-D
josietheschnauzer

Postby Zoey » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:07 am

josietheschnauzer wrote:Dear Rachel, thank you for posting your before and after pictures! "A picture is worth a thousand words." You look great and are an inspiration! :-D

I second that emotion! :D Rachel, you look amazing, and I know you feel even better. :nod:
Zoey

Postby calharv » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:27 am

I have completed the orientation and would like to participate in the MWL Weigh-In Group. Please advise next steps. Looking forward to the community and accountability which I believe will be a great benefit to my future progress.
Cal
calharv

Postby ceeceeb » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:30 pm

Hello! My name is Carol and I live in Wisconsin I have completed the orientation information and would like to be added to the August weigh in group. I have a large amount of weight to lose and though I have eaten plant based x 5+ years, I have not been able to lose weight. I am delighted to have found this group. I have read Dr. McDougall's books and hope with the information and support of this group I can be successful.
ceeceeb

Postby VivianS » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:19 pm

VivianS August 12
On the SNAP MEAL recipe, is that supposed to be 14 oz. frozen green leafy veggies (collards, mustard greens) ? 4 oz. which is listed is just half a cup.
The brown rice at 1 or 1.25 cups COOKED doesn't look like 50% compared to all the non- starchy vegetables in the meal. Should that be 1 to 1.25 UNCOOKED rice, which would be about 4 or 5 servings like the mixed vegetables.
I am trying the SNAP MEAL as stated. My vision may not be perfect, but I think the 4 is supposed to be 14 oz., which is the size package I buy. If it is a typographical error, you can fix it easily. If it is not, I can add more greens and rice. I can eat it and be healthy and happy. Thank you for the idea. I like things that are easy and healthy.
VivianS

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program