Dumping Syndrome

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dumping Syndrome

Postby MonkeysMom » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Wfpb2020 wrote:I would love to join the MWL group. Is the diet workable since I had a gastric bypass

@wfpb2020 — I’m a gastric bypass patient too. Has this been working for you? I I love the idea of eating starches but am worried it might cause reactive hypoglycemia (“late dumping syndrome”) which happens to me if I eat carbs without protein and a bit of fat.
MonkeysMom

Re: Dumping Syndrome

Postby Wfpb2020 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:14 am

Surprisingly I lost 9.4 lbs in July 2020. So it is working. I sometimes have to stop halfway through my meal and finish it later. I also just had blood work and my cholesterol is down 53 points. So I am hooked.

I also have "late dumping syndrome" and wish I had never had the gastric bypass 11 years ago. Before doing this program, I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack because my heart rate was so high, I was sweating and felt like passing out only to find out on the internet that it was "late dumping syndrome." All tests in ER showed no issues with my heart. If I had learned about this way of eating 11 years ago, I would not have had the surgery.

My "late dumping syndrome" is definitely triggered by sugar so this program is perfect for keeping me satisfied so I do not reach for the sugar. Hope this answers your question. Thanks.
Wfpb2020

Postby MonkeysMom » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:16 pm

@wfpb2020 Thanks for your reply! It took my brother, a type 1 diabetic, to figure out what was causing my occasional bouts of brain fog w shakiness and fatigue. He took my blood sugar and said It was so low I shouldn’t even be conscious!

SToo much sugar or oil makes me sick immediately, but late dumping seems to happen to me when I eat starches without enough fat and/or protein (not really sure). I guess I’ll just have to try and see, and be aware that I may have more sugar lows than normal until I figure out what works for me.
MonkeysMom

Postby MonkeysMom » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:47 pm

I’ve been experimenting this weekend with eating Various starches by themselves (No additional protein or fat) to see if they cause hypoglycemia Issues later. I’m excited to say that three of my absolute favorites have not been a problem at all! Corn on the cob, Yellow potatoes (roasted on grill), and sweet potatoes (baked or roasted on grill). What’s more, these make terrific carry-along snacks since they don’t need to be refrigerated.

My Bariatric program’s RD would have a fit to hear of me eating starches alone but what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her, right?!

Rice & oatmeal are a no go without significant protein and fat at the same time (legumes were insufficient) I not only got hungry really soon afterwards but it was that kind of weak-limbed, brain-foggy hunger that means my blood sugar is not in a healthy range.

Still need to try some other grains and seeds like quinoa, boiled/steamed potatoes, and canned/frozen corn.
MonkeysMom

Postby Chloralu » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Do you ever get sleepy right after or about 15 minutes into some starches? If so, which ones, please?
Chloralu

Postby Chloralu » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Do you ever get sleepy right after or about 15 minutes into some starches? If so, which ones, please?
Chloralu

Postby MonkeysMom » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Chloralu wrote:Do you ever get sleepy right after or about 15 minutes into some starches? If so, which ones, please?

Not in general. After lunch or big meal, including a starchy one, I sometimes get drowsy. But that’s common for lots of people not just gastric bypass patients.
MonkeysMom

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program