Beyond Oatmeal - Breakfast ideas

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Beyond Oatmeal - Breakfast ideas

Postby bluepotato » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:32 am

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been doing MWL for a few weeks, but breakfast so far has been oatmeal, baked oatmeal, and more oatmeal (always with fruit). My boyfriend is a bit picky about breakfast -- it MUST include fruit, and he's not keen on savoury stuff -- so we used to make pancakes and muffins, etc., but of course those are out now.

I'd love some MWL-compliant breakfast suggestions beyond oatmeal, so that I can mix it up once or twice a week.
bluepotato

Re: Beyond Oatmeal - Breakfast ideas

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:48 am

Hi! Sweet Potato Beginnings, was a favorite of mine. I find a sweet potato topped with an equal volume of berries is a delicious, simple breakfast. Rice and fruit might work for you to change things up, as well. Hope that helps a bit. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:13 am

I actually prefer other grains to oats. In my instant pot I'll add a combination of wheat and rye berries, quinoa, brown rice, sorghum, whatever I might have (even a bit of red lentils) and with 3x the water cook it at the multigrain setting. Then I have enough for a few days. I like that it's chewier than the oats.
AnnetteW

Postby bluepotato » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:47 am

These are great suggestions, thanks! I'm wondering if puffed amaranth is MWL-compliant, anyone know?
bluepotato

Postby Neff » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:40 am

Hi, I wanted to let you know about a middle eastern breakfast that I grew up eating. It's really simple. It's called "Belila". It's boiled barley. You can add fruit and a splash of plant milk to taste it up.
Neff

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:51 am

bluepotato wrote:These are great suggestions, thanks! I'm wondering if puffed amaranth is MWL-compliant, anyone know?

FYI, puffed cereals are not MWL compliant as they are high in calorie density.

Also, plant milks are not MWL compliant either as they are liquid calories.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby BarbaraLynn » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:52 am

bluepotato wrote:Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been doing MWL for a few weeks, but breakfast so far has been oatmeal, baked oatmeal, and more oatmeal (always with fruit). My boyfriend is a bit picky about breakfast -- it MUST include fruit, and he's not keen on savoury stuff -- so we used to make pancakes and muffins, etc., but of course those are out now.

I'd love some MWL-compliant breakfast suggestions beyond oatmeal, so that I can mix it up once or twice a week.

Have you ever tried whole oat groats? Super satisfying. They're toothsome and almost a bit chewy. Rolled oats are like flour to me now. I so enjoy the groats. I add berries and they fill me for hours.
BarbaraLynn
BarbaraLynn

Postby Neff » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:54 pm

I'm so sorry for suggesting plant milk. I don't actually use any so I think I skipped over that rule when I read through. I really prefer 1/2 cup or so of oatmeal with room temperature water. I let it sit while I drink a mug of hot water in the morning. I love how sweet the starch is first thing in the morning. I love how the oats are still raw but they're wet enough to eat and the water turns white and the dishes are so easy to wash. Thanks so much to Dr. McDougall for this simpler way to live. I have been on the Mcdougall Diet since the start of May. It's just a tiny bit challenging to learn all the extra MWLP knowledge. Thanks for your patience and for this community.
Neff

Postby bluepotato » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:13 am

JeffN wrote:
bluepotato wrote:These are great suggestions, thanks! I'm wondering if puffed amaranth is MWL-compliant, anyone know?

FYI, puffed cereals are not MWL compliant as they are high in calorie density.

Also, plant milks are not MWL compliant either as they are liquid calories.

In Health
Jeff

Thanks Jeff!
bluepotato

Postby bluepotato » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:15 am

BarbaraLynn wrote:
bluepotato wrote:Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been doing MWL for a few weeks, but breakfast so far has been oatmeal, baked oatmeal, and more oatmeal (always with fruit). My boyfriend is a bit picky about breakfast -- it MUST include fruit, and he's not keen on savoury stuff -- so we used to make pancakes and muffins, etc., but of course those are out now.

Have you ever tried whole oat groats? Super satisfying. They're toothsome and almost a bit chewy. Rolled oats are like flour to me now. I so enjoy the groats. I add berries and they fill me for hours.

I've always eaten them with savoury dishes, what a great idea!
bluepotato

Postby jenniferhopeful_ » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:13 pm

I find steel cut oats give more texture and they don't get as tedious as plain oats, and sometimes I'll mix oats with quinoa, and/or brown rice. Also, the Prevent and Reverse Heart disease from Dr.Esselstyn has a really nice savory oats recipe, with nutritional yeast and kale.
jenniferhopeful_

Postby Creaky » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:02 pm

I like a 5 grain mix when I get tired of oats. It has a different texture and slightly different taste to it.

What about a savory oatmeal instead of oats and fruit? I like oats and spinach.

You an flavor your oats with savory spices to get a different taste to it. Google savory oatmeal.
Creaky

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program