Addressing Family Concerns

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Addressing Family Concerns

Postby Tian-De » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:03 am

Hi Mark, Goose, and the MWL Team,

Thanks so much for giving feedback every week. It's been really helpful. I never thought it was possible to be less than 160 pounds, let alone 154. Like it was a law of physics.

I'm running into an issue, though. After getting down to 154 lbs (70 kg), my family and relatives are kinda shocked and are doing everything in their power to fatten me up a bit. When I look in the mirror, I feel like, "This is exactly where I want to be." But I think it was too much too fast for them. They are kindly making lots of delicious (vegan but high-cal) things for me, that frankly I don't want. That said, they are extremely wonderful people and I don't want to hurt their feelings.

I don't need any feedback on this, but kinda needed to write this out to know what I need to do. I'm looking at my fitbit now, and seeing that my resting heart-rate after three or four days of off-track meals is 4 points higher than it was when I was doing really solid. I should probably share this with them and just say that I want to live the longest most fulfilling life possible and part of that means that I just need to prep all my own meals.

Due to the Virus, I haven't been super motivated to go to the grocery. It feels like a war every time I have to put on the mask and carry a bottle of sanitizer, and as such, I've been without my primary MWL joy - sweet potatoes - for far, far too long. What I need to to is load up on sweet potatoes so I can make great things for my friends instead of having them feel like they need to make things for me.

Maybe my guide line #12 - after Mark's "Don't add other things into this practice" - Should be: Always have sweet potatoes at home, and never leave home without sweet potatoes - especially when going to a party!

Again, not asking for a ton of feedback, but needed a space to process.
Last edited by Tian-De on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
世界需要真、善、忍
The World Needs Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance
Tian-De

Re: Addressing Family Concerns

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:26 am

Family can be a really challenging situation. Just last weekend, I had someone make special cinnamon muffins for me, chock-full of coconut oil, ugh! That was a difficult situation to navigate, because I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.

Many grocery stores are offering curbside pick up, and you can order online and have the sweet potatoes brought to your car. Also, in my area, restaurant supply companies are selling to the general public, and a 40 lb box of sweet potatoes costs around $20. My husband alone has been going through a box a month.

I believe the virus you are referring to is SARS-COV-19. This is a science-based forum, and no place for politics. Good luck with your family!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:33 pm

This webinar in which Dr. Lisle discusses dealing with family and friends may offer some ideas.
Mark Cooper

Postby Tian-De » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:40 am

Hi Lyndzie,

Thanks for the restaurant supply feedback. I'll look into that.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the Dr. Lisle webinar. I especially appreciated the language of "I made a promise to myself that I would give this a try and see what happens." I think that'll be very useful. Chinese and Taiwanese people are very 熱情 (Warm-Hearted/Passionate, not sure hot to translate this). They're the most hospitable people I know. But they are also way into little ways to improve their health and longevity, so if I talk about it like an experiment, they'll totally understand.
世界需要真、善、忍
The World Needs Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance
Tian-De

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program