What Does Maintenance Look Like After MWL?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What Does Maintenance Look Like After MWL?

Postby taymariekay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:59 am

I am just curious about how the MWL guidelines change when we reach our ideal weight? I am probably jumping the gun asking this since I'm still in weight loss phase :) But I am very curious about this.

How would Jeff's place mat change? Maybe it doesn't, as I've heard "what it takes to take it off is what it takes to keep it off".

Thoughts? :)
taymariekay

Re: What Does Maintenance Look Like After MWL?

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:32 am

The best way to maintain is to continue doing what got you to your goal in the first place. So, just keep doing what you’ve been doing.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby taymariekay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:39 am

Lyndzie wrote:The best way to maintain is to continue doing what got you to your goal in the first place. So, just keep doing what you’ve been doing.

That's exactly what I figured. Thanks for your input, Lyndzie!
taymariekay

Postby wildgoose » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:04 pm

taymariekay wrote:I am just curious about how the MWL guidelines change when we reach our ideal weight? I am probably jumping the gun asking this since I'm still in weight loss phase :) But I am very curious about this.

How would Jeff's place mat change? Maybe it doesn't, as I've heard "what it takes to take it off is what it takes to keep it off".

Thoughts? :)

@taymariekay Lindsey has the exact right idea. You just keep doing what you’ve been doing all along.

I never believed that in the past. I always thought I could go back to my old ways, at least some of them, some of the time. The kind of thinking that always derailed all my progress and started to put weight back on me went something like this...
  • After I lose the weight, it will be so great to be able to have _______ again.
  • My favorite _______ is a reward that I’ll give myself as a tasty treat after I lose <whatever number> pounds.
  • I miss _______ so much, I can’t imagine giving it up forever. I should be able to have it in moderation after I lose the weight.
No, no, and no. The only way I’ve been able to keep weight off without struggling is to simply and straightforwardly decide on a way of eating I can live with permanently. Anything I miss a LOT, and that I would be longing to have again, is a giant red flag for the Pleasure Trap. No, I can’t have it in moderation. If I could, I wouldn’t have stayed fat all those years. I wouldn’t have lost and regained the same 40-60 pounds over and over. No, that rich food is not a treat or a reward. It’s an excuse to re-ignite cravings and set myself off on a months-long binge.

Your situation, and your personality, may be different. I can only speak for myself. But I’ve been on diets since I was a hatchling, and I’ve never been able to maintain a weight loss without stress — until now. And the way I’m doing it is to stay with MWL. I have a few minor additions to my diet now, mostly condiments, but any of the things I used to crave are permanently off the menu. The reward is that I'm in a deep groove and hardly give that stuff a second thought.

You may be able to maintain your weight by following the regular McDougall plan, which includes whole grain flour products and some higher-fat plant foods like avocado and nuts. I can’t. Lots of us keep eating MWL permanently. It’s not strange or restrictive or hard any more, it’s just how we eat.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby taymariekay » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:33 pm

wildgoose wrote:@taymariekay Lindsey has the exact right idea. You just keep doing what you’ve been doing all along.

I never believed that in the past. I always thought I could go back to my old ways, at least some of them, some of the time. The kind of thinking that always derailed all my progress and started to put weight back on me went something like this...
  • After I lose the weight, it will be so great to be able to have _______ again.
  • My favorite _______ is a reward that I’ll give myself as a tasty treat after I lose <whatever number> pounds.
  • I miss _______ so much, I can’t imagine giving it up forever. I should be able to have it in moderation after I lose the weight.
No, no, and no. The only way I’ve been able to keep weight off without struggling is to simply and straightforwardly decide on a way of eating I can live with permanently. Anything I miss a LOT, and that I would be longing to have again, is a giant red flag for the Pleasure Trap. No, I can’t have it in moderation. If I could, I wouldn’t have stayed fat all those years. I wouldn’t have lost and regained the same 40-60 pounds over and over. No, that rich food is not a treat or a reward. It’s an excuse to re-ignite cravings and set myself off on a months-long binge.

Your situation, and your personality, may be different. I can only speak for myself. But I’ve been on diets since I was a hatchling, and I’ve never been able to maintain a weight loss without stress — until now. And the way I’m doing it is to stay with MWL. I have a few minor additions to my diet now, mostly condiments, but any of the things I used to crave are permanently off the menu. The reward is that I'm in a deep groove and hardly give that stuff a second thought.

You may be able to maintain your weight by following the regular McDougall plan, which includes whole grain flour products and some higher-fat plant foods like avocado and nuts. I can’t. Lots of us keep eating MWL permanently. It’s not strange or restrictive or hard any more, it’s just how we eat.

Goose

Goose, it's crazy because I feel like you're in my brain! Especially those examples you give. Those are me, BIG time. I think part of me is so attached to my "comforting" pleasure trap foods and it's hard for me to mentally let them go. I keep telling myself I can have them, just not today. Not soon. But someday. And then I know it's not true deep down, and I feel pathetic for even feeling so attached haha. I think you and I probably have similar personalities in this way.

Backstory: I grew up with parents who owned a vending machine business and we had every candy, chip, snack, soda, microwave pizza you could imagine, in our basement. It was for the business but we pretty much took whatever we wanted, when we wanted. Needless to say, my family and I grew large. My dad is full German, and his parents cooked us the best food and we ate the best chocolate. My palette and brain are just so attached to these foods from my childhood and I ate these foods to comfort me through hard times in middle school and high school. It's definitely a physical addiction for me and also a psychological comfort.

I've been overweight my whole life and don't think I've ever been in a truly slim body, and I've also tried dieting as long as I can remember. I know this "groove" you speak of, and it's a glorious place to be :) I feel like I am close to that groove and I can't wait to see more pounds come off.

You and Lindsey are right. MWL is the only thing taking off the weight, so it's the only thing that will keep it off.

Thanks, Goose! Love all your helpful tips :)
taymariekay

Postby jan_npr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 am

Glad you asked this. Because as I lose weight on MWL I'm just now coming to the realization that this may be what I need to do long term i.e. after reaching a healthy weight. When we first became vegan, many years ago, I made my kitchen vegan and we made exceptions outside the house. That pretty rapidly changed as we felt so much better eating plant-based. I'm thinking that maybe what I'll do here is make my home MWL but if going off program that will be the rare occasion "on the outside". We'll see but I think it's smart to plan ahead as you are doing. My husband is already saying that he could eat this way long term. Company is still an issue as we live in the country and people like to come and stay overnight. That's not going to change because that's our social life. I'm getting better at having healthier choices around for them (and always vegan) but it's certainly not MWL.
jan_npr

Postby carwex » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:28 am

I am interested in this topic because I am dangerously close to maintenance, although I don't know what that exact weight is. I shared on the June MLW feed that I would like to see if maintaining MWL will lead me to that weight. So in a sense i am maintaining now since i have reached a normal BMI (22.7) and normal weight. I can echo Jan_npr's sentiment exactly. I would like to continue on this path with some non-compliant eating when my husband and I go out once a week. Even then I dont intend to include baddies in these restaurant meals, but as we know getting a meal without oil for example is difficult. Like Jan_npr I also have the problem of "entertaining" folks who are on all sorts of regimens. At the age of 78I have let a lot of this go but still it is part of my social life. There's family ( how else can you get grown children to come and visit?)and a few friends i feel I need to cook for from time to time. Better thn going out to eat. But preparing can also be somewhat fraught.

I am wondering if this discussion feed on maintenance could be continued --under the able leadership of Goose. My experience with the April, May and June discussion boards has been excellent. It has been very special because of the feedback that we get from Mark, Goose and Jeff. I know it would be a great boon for me. It might be less work for one leader if we had more responses from each other.

Feedback please.
carwex

Postby JeffN » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:36 am

There is a support group on this discussion board for those in maintenance, which is facilitated by Lyndzie and has great support and input from its members. Some of the points raised here are, and have been, discussed there.

The JUNE 2020 Maintenance Thread group can be found here...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61008

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:38 am

Carwex, we would love to have you (and everyone else who is maintaining)!

Just from personal experience, I’ve tried having regular restaurant meals out, and it very quickly becomes a downward spiral. My husband and I have a few local places we like, and I’ll usually just bring some homemade dressing for a salad. That way my husband gets to enjoy a meal out while I still get to button my shorts.

Also, when hosting others, I usually make something I can eat in addition to food others would like. Taco bars are an excellent way to make sure everyone gets something they enjoy, and it’s easy to grill out and make a batch of Jeff’s bean burgers, too.

WildGoose has written about her weight loss journey and finding her final weight, but I can’t seem to find the post at the moment. I will add the link once I’ve tracked it down.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:55 am

Lyndzie wrote:Carwex, we would love to have you (and everyone else who is maintaining)!

Just from personal experience, I’ve tried having regular restaurant meals out, and it very quickly becomes a downward spiral. My husband and I have a few local places we like, and I’ll usually just bring some homemade dressing for a salad. That way my husband gets to enjoy a meal out while I still get to button my shorts.

Also, when hosting others, I usually make something I can eat in addition to food others would like. Taco bars are an excellent way to make sure everyone gets something they enjoy, and it’s easy to grill out and make a batch of Jeff’s bean burgers, too.

WildGoose has written about her weight loss journey and finding her final weight, but I can’t seem to find the post at the moment. I will add the link once I’ve tracked it down.

My own experience with respect to dining out and entertaining mirrors what Lindsey describes above. I would add that most people seem to enjoy baked potatoes with some basic toppings like beans, corn, salsa, caramelized onions, &c.

Those links to wildgoose's narratives are - here and here.
Mark Cooper

Postby carwex » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 am

My sincere thanks to Jeff, Lyndzie, and Mark for your speedy responses to my queries.

I will consider seriously your recommendations about eating out. Especially after today when we went to a Chinese resto which included so much oil. I will have to steer my husband away from these places somehow. The rice wasn't even good.

I would also like to join the maintenance group eventually. Perhaps for the July 2020 sessions. It is comforting to know that I can continue with MWL if it suits me in maintanence. I definitely feel more comfortable being free of bread, nuts and dried fruit. Knowing they are not compliant for my food plan makes it easier for me to keep away from them. Sugar and oil I gave up when I first went on the McDougall program over 10 years ago. Today I almost never have cravings for these substances.
carwex

Postby wildgoose » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Carwex, we would love to have you (and everyone else who is maintaining)!

Lindsey I totally agree with you about restaurant meals. The Gander and I never eat out unless we're traveling. And now that Sweet Tomatoes is no more :crybaby: , I’m going to be cooking a lot more in hotel rooms, if we ever travel again. There are times I get really sick of cooking, and I'd love to eat something that I didn’t have to prepare and clean up after, but it’s not going to happen. Restaurants just don’t work for me.

Are the links at the bottom of my signature the ones you’re looking for?

@Carwex The maintenance group is a good place for talking about all things that concern us after we've lost the weight. Lindsey does a nice job of running it. I need to get my lazy tailfeathers back over there and post more!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Yes, Goose, that is exactly the link I was searching for! It’s such a good one. Great idea to post it on your signature.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program