June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:45 am

A very warm welcome to the June 2020 Weigh-In thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program!

This is a weekly weigh-in group for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program. MWL is a minimally processed starch-based diet that is low in fat, low in calorie density and low in added sugars and salt. MWL is the simplest, easiest, most effective path to achieve your weight management and health goals.

Please familiarize yourself with the MWL Guidelines and the MWL 10-Point Checklist. These serve as the textbook for this group, and represent the program we will follow exclusively within this group. The accountability and support we provide is in understanding and implementing these guidelines. If there is any confusion or question on any issue, just ask and Jeff, Wildgoose, or I will answer.

Regarding the book, The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss; while the book is helpful, it was updated with the guidelines provided in the January 2005 newsletter and has been further condensed into the MWL 10-Point Checklist, which together provide the most current program information. You do not need to buy the book.

Weight loss is an outcome contingent on behaviors; to change that outcome, it is necessary to change those behaviors. The most effective behaviors for achieving healthy, sustainable weight loss are outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist. In this group, our focus is on bringing our behaviors into adherence with the MWL 10-Point Checklist, not just our weight change from one week to the next. While we do recommend participating in the weekly weigh-in and reporting your weight change (up or down), the MWL program is not about rapid weight loss, but rather establishing a pattern of behavior and a way of living that produces steady, healthy, and lasting weight loss.

Weigh-ins are on Friday; participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the weekly summary. If you choose to participate in the weekly weigh-ins, please post your report in the following format -

Weight change +/- in lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support

Please post a new report each week. All group members are encouraged to post regardless of whether they have a gain, loss or no change to report.

Our goal is for you to learn the program, enjoy the food and change your lifestyle. The average weight loss at the McDougall 10-Day Live-in Program is 3.5 lbs in 7 days; the first week is when the majority of people have their largest weekly weight loss. The average over time is about 1% of your current weight.

This thread is intended for the mutual support of all who wish to participate. We encourage members of the group to converse openly with each other.

To anyone considering joining the group -

THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT!

You are very welcome to jump aboard, just be sure to review the information in this introduction, and post below to introduce yourself. For all our returning members, give yourself a pat on the back for continuing to show up and put in the work! I can't promise that it will be easy, but I DO promise that it is worth it. I will do my very best to be present here periodically throughout the week to welcome new members, respond to questions, and share resources; thank you so much to Jeff and Wildgoose who have volunteered to help out and jump in when they are able.

Our continuing focus is on taking action in accordance with the following ten points -

A 10-Point Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
  2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
  3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
  4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
  5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
  6. Eliminate any added oil.
  7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
  8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
  10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Your plate should look like this -Image For example,

I strongly recommend using the MWL 10-Point Checklist on at least a weekly (or daily) basis to bring to your attention the areas that may hinder your progress. The more you are willing to use it in your own life, the more success you are likely to have.

An essential resource for everyone to review is Jeff Novick's presentation on the principle of calorie density -

Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer

Watching this video is one of the best ways to come to a clear understanding of the concepts embodied in the MWL program, and it will likely answer MANY questions and help alleviate confusion.

In addition to participating here, I would highly recommend you all consider starting a journal in the My Daily Menus & Journals forum. These journals can be really helpful in keeping track of your progress over time and they also help other members to learn from your experiences.

If you are in need of recipe ideas, the recipe section of Dr. McDougall's website has a category for MWL, filled with delicious recipes from Alu Gobi to Zucchini Corn Salad. If you prefer something extremely easy and affordable, try Jeff's SNAP meal template. If you would like to share recipes in this thread -

• Please do not post or recommend a recipe unless you yourself have made it and tried it.
  • Only post recipes that conform to the MWL guidelines.
  • If you have adapted a recipe to meet the MWL guidelines, please clearly list any needed adaptations.

This month's first weigh-in is on Friday, June 5, 2020.

I wish you all a successful and health-supporting month!

June 2020 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Fast Food: The Basics - with Jeff Novick, MS, RDN
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: June 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Sue Ancora-imparo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi, This is my first MWL month. I have been following WFPB for about a year. I have done quite a bit of reading about the McDougall method, read Chef AJ's book,Dr. Essylstyn's book, How not to Die, watched FOK documentary. I know some people who have even been to the 10 day McDougall program. I feel better and have seen some changes in my weight, but seem to be at a plateau. So I thought I'd give this month a try. I'm a teacher and currently winding down my school year. I have 1 1/2 weeks left. I'm curious about my plateau. I've been excercising much more during quarantine, but not sleeping great. Also, I have been eating bread...

One question I have, can I have almond milk in my oatmeal in the morning or is that stil considered a nut?
Thanks - I'm glad to be here.
Sue
Sue Ancora-imparo

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Sue Ancora-imparo - Hi, Sue! Welcome to the group! Be sure to take some time to review the MWL 10-Point Checklist and the MWL guidelines (if you haven't done so already). Putting into practice the behaviors recommended by the checklist should help you break through that plateau. Plant milks are not recommended for MWL, as they are liquid calories.
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Jeff discusses various plant "milks" here.
JeffN wrote:Here is a prior conversation on the topic. Our position has been constant over the years

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44571

The main point here is that we do not recommend liquid calories. If you use them, keep them to a minimum and look for ones with the best numbers (calories, fat, sat fat, added sugars and salt.) Avoid ones made with or from coconut. We are not asking for perfection because by using them, you have already fallen short :)

Better than any store bought brand is to make your own (as described in the above thread). Here is the recipe I recommend for rice milk and one can use it for home made oat milk or any nut milk.

In my humble professional and personal opinion, since we use so little of them, why not just make one at home. My favorite is rice milk and can easily be made as follows

1 cup cooked brown rice
4 cups water
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Blend well and strain (if desired).

Many people (including forum members) use this recipe and some have a similar oat milk recipe that you can find (or ask for) in the recipe forum.
Mark Cooper

Postby JaBee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:13 pm

I’m back - fell off the wagon for a couple of weeks end of last month, emotional roller coaster.
Re-committed and ready to resume for June.
JaBee

Postby jnc » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi! I'm new to this group, but not to plant based eating. I went to the 10 day immersion program in November 2019 - it was amazing! I'd like to lose more weight and feel like this will be a good incentive. I've been eating plant based on and off for a few years, but it didn't really stick until the immersion program. With the holidays and quarentine it's been easy to justify slip ups - but I'm ready to recommit and focus on MWL principles. I'm looking forward to joining you!
Julie
jnc

Postby taymariekay » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:01 pm

I would like to join in :) I will weigh and post Friday!
taymariekay

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:50 pm

JaBee - Glad to have you back with us! Re-committed and ready to go! :D

jnc - Welcome, Julie! How wonderful that you were able to attend the immersion program; I'm sure it was an amazing experience.

taymariekay - I'm excited you decided to join the group! See you on Friday.
Mark Cooper

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:07 am

I'm mentally gearing myself up to join the group again. I'm using these first few days to get back on track, more so on the MWL bandwagon. It's probably a little bit too strict for me, but my weight gain and overeating are an issue.

I am planning on tracking in a paper journal to start, and I also have to set a goal to post daily on my journal here. Also I will do the work you ask of us, that's the kind of stuff I don't like doing....but I will do it.

I'll be back on Friday with my starting weight. I'm starting fresh.

Thanks
AnnetteW

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:15 pm

AnnetteW - It is great to have you joining in this month for a June "fresh start!" See you on Friday.
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Here is a fantastic Success Story for some Wednesday inspiration - Mike Teehan: Stopping a lifetime of weight loss and gain
By the end of 2008 I was hovering around 260 pounds. I absolutely knew that the McDougall way of eating was the only way I could feed my large appetite, lose weight, and get healthy, so I committed once again to Dr. McDougall’s Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program. I didn’t have any support from my family, which wasn’t easy, but I did have support from Dr. McDougall, who in between seeing his patients, writing books, producing videos, giving lectures, and running his 10-Day programs, always found the time to answer my email questions.
I pulled out my Maximum Weight Loss book and truly committed to it, 100 percent. I stopped counting calories (why I ever did that I’ll never know), I ate only when I was hungry, and I ate only from the approved MWL list. Each week the scale crept lower. I set a goal of 175 pounds for myself, even though I honestly can’t ever remember weighing 175 pounds. I’ve heard the expression “Can’t see the forest for the trees” a million times, but I never really understood it until recently. I’ve had the McDougall Program in front of me for over 20 years and I’ve never really “seen” it. Intellectually I’ve always known its power but, for some reason, I never really understood it until this year.
Today I can honestly say that the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program is responsible for my entire 166-pound weight loss, from 331 to 165 pounds. If I could pass along one message to anyone who is considering the McDougall Program it would be to do the program exactly as Dr. McDougall prescribes. Do not count calories or do the McDougall Program with Weight Watchers. You can’t do the McDougall Program with any other diet because it is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle. It has taken me years to finally get this.
Mark Cooper

Postby MaryP » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Sigh...I'm back with my hat in my hand, so to speak. I couldn't seem to get back with it for the last several months. I saw a weight gain of 8 pounds since the beginning of March, aka shutdown time. But I recommitted 10 days ago and have lost 5 pounds. I need accountability so I am rejoining this group. Thanks for having me.
MaryP

Postby KDiddly » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Today was my first day! It was interesting. I have way more energy than I ever had on low carb. I’m 187 lbs starting. The easy thing is I am stuffed and do not feel hungry at all. The hard thing will be cooking 3 meals per day. I will need to start meal prepping so on busy days I don’t fall off the wagon. Nice to meet you!! I will post photos of my food if I can figure out how.
KDiddly

Postby Hope410 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi Mark,

I would like to continue to participate In the MWLP for the month of June. Will be there for the weigh-in on Friday.
Hope410

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:55 pm

MaryP - Setbacks and challenges are a natural part of the process, kudos for your recommitting!

KDiddly - Welcome! I'm so glad you are feeling energetic! You are definitely right that adequate preparation can be a great help in staying "on the wagon."
Mark Cooper wrote:In regard to posting images -
Mark Cooper wrote:I use flickr for my photos. You can get a free account (if you don't already have one) and then upload the images you want to share. For a specific image, if you select the share button, then BBCode, you can just cut and paste the code for the image into a post here on the forum. (You may know all this already, but I thought a quick primer might benefit everyone :D ).
The code to embed an image looks like this
Code: Select all
[img]URL for your picture goes here[/img]

Hope410 - It's great to have you continuing for June, see you tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Tomorrow is our first weigh-in for June and I'm so excited to see your reports! Friday is this group's weigh-in day, and participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the summary that I compile for Saturday evening. This group is all about changing patterns of behavior, so it seems reasonable to me to expect those who choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in to honor that time frame for reporting. In addition to reporting your weight change in pounds, more importantly, please be sure to evaluate your behaviors within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, if you please. I will respond to everyone's reports in a cumulative post on Friday evening and Saturday evening, and the summary for the week will be posted Saturday night.

For more information on why participants are recommended to weigh themselves once a week, check out this excellent and thorough article from Jeff - To Weigh or Not to Weigh

Everyone take care, be safe, and I'll see you tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program