May 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

May 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:19 am

A very warm welcome to the May 2020 Weigh-In thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program!

This is a weekly weigh-in group for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program. MWL is a minimally processed starch-based diet that is low in fat, low in calorie density and low in added sugars and salt. MWL is the simplest, easiest, most effective path to achieve your weight management and health goals.

Please familiarize yourself with the MWL Guidelines and the MWL 10-Point Checklist. These serve as the textbook for this group, and represent the program we will follow exclusively within this group. The accountability and support we provide is in understanding and implementing these guidelines. If there is any confusion or question on any issue, just ask and Jeff, Wildgoose, or I will answer.

Regarding the book, The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss; while the book is helpful, it was updated with the guidelines provided in the January 2005 newsletter and has been further condensed into the MWL 10-Point Checklist, which together provide the most current program information. You do not need to buy the book.

Weight loss is an outcome contingent on behaviors; to change that outcome, it is necessary to change those behaviors. The most effective behaviors for achieving healthy, sustainable weight loss are outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist. In this group, our focus is on bringing our behaviors into adherence with the MWL 10-Point Checklist, not just our weight change from one week to the next. While we do recommend participating in the weekly weigh-in and reporting your weight change (up or down), the MWL program is not about rapid weight loss, but rather establishing a pattern of behavior and a way of living that produces steady, healthy, and lasting weight loss.

Weigh-ins are on Friday; participants have until noon PST on Saturday to report your result for that week. If you choose to participate in the weekly weigh-ins, please post your report in the following format -

Weight change +/- in lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support

Please post a new report each week. All group members are encouraged to post regardless of whether they have a gain, loss or no change to report.

Our goal is for you to learn the program, enjoy the food and change your lifestyle. The average weight loss at the McDougall 10-Day Live-in Program is 3.5 lbs in 7 days; the first week is when the majority of people have their largest weekly weight loss. The average over time is about 1% of your current weight.

This thread is intended for the mutual support of all who wish to participate. We encourage members of the group to converse openly with each other.

To anyone considering joining the group -

THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT!

You are very welcome to jump aboard, just be sure to review the information in this introduction, and post below to introduce yourself. For all our returning members, give yourself a pat on the back for continuing to show up and put in the work! I can't promise that it will be easy, but I DO promise that it is worth it. I will do my very best to be present here periodically throughout the week to welcome new members, respond to questions, and share resources; thank you so much to Jeff and Wildgoose who have volunteered to help out and jump in when they are able.

Our continuing focus is on taking action in accordance with the following ten points -

A 10-Point Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
  2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
  3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
  4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
  5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
  6. Eliminate any added oil.
  7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
  8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
  10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Your plate should look like this -Image For example,

I strongly recommend using the MWL 10-Point Checklist on at least a weekly (or daily) basis to bring to your attention the areas that may hinder your progress. The more you are willing to use it in your own life, the more success you are likely to have.

An essential resource for everyone to review is Jeff Novick's presentation on the principle of calorie density -

Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer

Watching this video is one of the best ways to come to a clear understanding of the concepts embodied in the MWL program, and it will likely answer MANY questions and help alleviate confusion.

In addition to participating here, I would highly recommend you all consider starting a journal in the My Daily Menus & Journals forum. These journals can be really helpful in keeping track of your progress over time and they also help other members to learn from your experiences.

If you are in need of recipe ideas, the recipe section of Dr. McDougall's website has a category for MWL, filled with delicious recipes from Alu Gobi to Zucchini Corn Salad. If you prefer something extremely easy and affordable, try Jeff's SNAP meal template. If you would like to share recipes in this thread -

• Please do not post or recommend a recipe unless you yourself have made it and tried it.
  • Only post recipes that conform to the MWL guidelines.
  • If you have adapted a recipe to meet the MWL guidelines, please clearly list any needed adaptations.

This month's first weigh-in is on Friday, May 1, 2020.

I wish you all a successful and health-supporting month!

May 2020 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Fast Food: The Basics - with Jeff Novick, MS, RDN
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Re: May 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Lucas » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi everyone!

Just a quick intro. First off, I want to say that I am happy to be here and that I hope to take advantage of the expert knowledge and the accountability of having weekly weigh-ins to hopefully once and for all get healthy. Time is as they say of the essence. I am not getting any younger. :).

So, I have been following Dr. McDougall's starched based approached to eating and living since about January of this year. Before this, I tried other plant based approaches with some great success. But, If I am being honest, I have not been keeping in strict adherence this whole time and unfortunately it shows on the scale. I was stuck at around 203lbs for a long time.

If I may, let me back up a bit. In January of 2019, I was at 227lbs. I then went from 227lbs to about 208lbs, at the beginning of this year. Upon switching to a starch based diet. My weight went down to about 198.8lbs. Then I got off track. My weight shot back up to about 210lbs during this self isolation to where I currently stand as of this past Friday, 203. 2lbs. My weight going back up is not solely because of the isolation. I actually indulged in rich foods. :angry: But no more.

I have read three of Dr. McDougalls's books to include The Starched Based Solution. So I am pretty familiar with this approach to eating. I have read the 10-point checklist, as well as the MWL Guidelines. I also went through April's MWL thread. Congrats to everyone! I hope to contribute with negative numbers. :) I want to thank Mr. Mark Cooper for taking the time to lead us in this thread, as well as the moderators.

So here is where I am as of this past Friday. :-D

203.2lbs

Thank you, and look forward to the weigh-in this coming Friday.

Lucas
Lucas

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:16 pm

Lucas - Hello & welcome! I'm so glad you have decided to participate in the May group, and it sounds like you are well prepared to start putting the MWL 10-Point Checklist into action. See you on Friday!
Mark Cooper

Postby Noella » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:45 am

Hi Mark and Every Participant in the May 2020 McDougall MWL group,

I am excited about starting the May 2020 McDougall MWL on Friday. I appreciate Mark’s guidance and this opportunity. I enjoy reading every post. Thank you so much, Mark.

Best regards,
Noella

Noella

Postby mimiljd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:26 am

Hello,
i'm from west indies, Martinique, i'm so happy to have found this group.
I speak french so sorry for my bad english and for my mistakes.
I gained weight since my pregnancy and never lose it all...
i think this group will help me to be more consistent, like a motivation.
i already try to do the McDougall solution, but sometimes i fail...
that's it! looking forward to May 01!!
mimiljd

Postby NateKruse » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:24 pm

Hello again! I’m keeping the streak going and continuing in May.
I’m 27 years old and 6’5” tall.
My weight at the last weigh in was 233 pounds.

I’m looking forward to another month. Let’s do this!
NateKruse

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Noella - I'm so glad you will be continuing in May!

mimiljd - Welcome! I'm having no problems understanding what you've written so far, so please don't feel self-conscious. Consistently putting the behaviors outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist into practice in your daily life will lead to results, so you are in the right place. I'm looking forward to May, as well! :D

NateKruse - Keeping the streak going! Awesome!
Mark Cooper

Postby mimiljd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:16 pm

SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

is it for a meal???
mimiljd

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:35 am

mimiljd - Jeff's SNAP recipes, and his Fast Food: The Basics recipes (excepting the few recipes that call for dried fruit or tahini), are examples of recipes that fit the MWL guidelines. The MWL 10-Point Checklist instructs us to eat whenever we are hungry until we are comfortably full (eating the recommended foods as outlined in the checklist). So, how big a meal is may depend on how hungry you are - when you are hungry eat, stopping once you are comfortably full. When you feel hungry again, eat again, and so on. Many people find it helpful to make food in fairly large batches, so they can eat some now, and put the remainder in the refrigerator (or freezer) for later meals.
Mark Cooper

Postby mimiljd » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:43 am

Mark Cooper wrote:mimiljd - Jeff's SNAP recipes, and his Fast Food: The Basics recipes (excepting the few recipes that call for dried fruit or tahini), are examples of recipes that fit the MWL guidelines. The MWL 10-Point Checklist instructs us to eat whenever we are hungry until we are comfortably full (eating the recommended foods as outlined in the checklist). So, how big a meal is may depend on how hungry you are - when you are hungry eat, stopping once you are comfortably full. When you feel hungry again, eat again, and so on. Many people find it helpful to make food in fairly large batches, so they can eat some now, and put the remainder in the refrigerator (or freezer) for later meals.

Ok!! thank you for the answer. :)
mimiljd

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Needing some mid-week inspiration? Check out this Success Story - Jessica Parsons: Sheds 90 Pounds, Cures Obesity

I find Jessica's narrative very instructive for the way she so clearly explains the effect that even relatively healthful processed foods had on her weight loss.
At the beginning, the weight was coming off even if I did eat some white rice or bread sometimes. This diet was that much healthier than my old diet. I also found it easier to be strict on weekdays than on weekends. I made sure to exercise, at least walking, almost every day.

But my big weight shifts always came at the times when I consciously kept processed foods out of my diet. I could expect at least twice as much weight loss than otherwise.
As her weight dropped, it became even more necessary to eliminate those calorie-dense foods in order to meet her health and weight loss goals.
And as I moved from being obese to simply overweight, I really had to avoid processed foods. If not, then any weight loss was so minimal that I couldn’t see it quickly enough to motivate me to continue. Remember, if you are dealing with a lifelong weight and eating problem as I am, it won’t disappear immediately!
I think the lesson Jessica took from a year-long moderate backslide into calorie-rich foods and some regained weight is also very valuable.
This is important to remember, since practically everybody plateaus during major weight loss, and that shouldn’t be a reason to give up on a plan which has been working.
If you weight loss has stalled, or you are struggling and feel stuck, don't give up - just return to the principles in the MWL 10-Point Checklist and put them into action in your own life each day.
Mark Cooper

Postby Miss Kim » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:30 pm

I'm in for another month! Last month was my first month on MWL, and it was great. I started at 191 lbs. and ended the month at 180 lbs. I am looking forward to all the posts and encouragement this month; I find it so helpful! Thank you all.
Miss Kim

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Miss Kim - What a successful April! 11 lbs down! Glad to have you in for the month of May. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby mimiljd » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 am

Hi,

Can I have a model of menu for a day on mwl? breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Thanks
mimiljd

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 am

mimiljd wrote:Hi,

Can I have a model of menu for a day on mwl? breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Thanks

You should eat (following the principles outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist) whenever you are hungry, until you are comfortably full; that could mean 2 meals, 3 meals or even 4 or 5 meals. This post from Geo provides a good basic outline of how this works
geo wrote:JeffN's Healthy Plate is a good example to follow if you really need something closer to servings. Just take a plate fill it half full of starches and the other half full of veggies/fruit. Then start the meal with a bowl of soup or salad or both! Follow that with the main plate and then finish that off with a piece of fruit if you want desert. Your drink should be water.

Thats it. eat what you serve yourself. If your still hungry, have another round! Just eat till your comfortably full, NOT STUFFED. Then eat again when your next hungry. There's no time table to follow or certain number of meals to eat a day. You can eat one or two meals if you want or a dozen meals if thats what keeps you comfortably full (satiated). Just don't over eat or stuff yourself.

This is just way so easier than other programs that tell you to eat so much of this and so much of that because those serving sizes are ment for who? a 120 lb woman or a 250 lb man? Theres just no need to go down that road of complexity.

To get a basic idea of what a day's worth of meals might look like, take a moment to review the following excerpt from Jeff's post Simple, Easy & Starch Based
JeffN wrote:I wrote this as part of another thread and because of how important it is to understanding how to keep this program simple and easy, I wanted to repost it here again, so it could stand on its own.

Remember, Keep It Simple!

In Health
Jeff

JeffN wrote: If you follow the guidelines and principles recommended here, you will cover the basics without having to count servings.

Let me expound on this.

If you follow a starch based diet with the addition of fruit and green and yellow veggies at each meal, and consume enough to maintain your healthy weight then your day "may" look something "generically" like this...

(using averages for calories and serving sizes if you were to follow the calorie density guidelines)

Breakfast:
Intact Whole Grains (2 cups) 320 calories
Fresh Fruit (1 cup) 120 calories

Lunch
Starchy Vegetable (2 cups) 320 calories
Legumes (1/2 cup) 120 calories
Veggies (2 cups of salad, soup and/or steamed veggies) 100 calories
Fruit (1 serving) 60 calories

Dinner
Starchy Vegetable (2 cups) 320 calories
Legumes (1/2 cup) 120 calories
Veggies (2 cups of salad, soup and/or steamed veggies) 100 calories
Fruit (1 serving) 60 calories

That's 12 servings of Starchy Veggies/Whole Grains and 960 calories
That's 2 servings of Legumes and 240 calories
That's 8 servings of veggies and 200 calories
That's 4 servings of fruit and 240 calories

that's 12 servings of fruits and veggies but only 1640 calories.

Of course, you could adjust the fruits, veggies, starchy veggies, etc up or down somewhat to fit your own preference and caloric needs, but the end results would be fairly similar.

And for those who want, add in a serving of nuts/seeds or avocado and that's another 175 calories and you are at ~1800 calories.

Not bad! And simple and easy.

BTW, those are also some fairly large sized and filling meals. :)

In Health
Jeff

PS I am not recommending you count, weigh and measure servings and serving sizes, I recommend you follow the general guidelines and principles of calorie density, eating when hungry to comfortably full of the recommended foods without starving or stuffing yourself. The above servings and serving sizes were used just to demonstrate an estimated analysis.

My own MWL journal has many examples of what meals look like for me (if you start from the end and work back, there are lots of pictures, as well).
Mark Cooper

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program