February 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

February 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:57 pm

A very warm welcome to the February 2020 Weigh-In thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program!

This is a weekly weigh-in group for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program. MWL is a minimally processed starch-based diet that is low in fat, low in calorie density and low in added sugars and salt. MWL is the simplest, easiest, most effective path to achieve your weight management and health goals.

Please familiarize yourself with the MWL Guidelines and the MWL 10-Point Checklist. These serve as the textbook for this group, and represent the program we will follow exclusively within this group. The accountability and support we provide is in understanding and implementing these guidelines. If there is any confusion or question on any issue, just ask and Jeff, Lyndzie, Wildgoose, or I will answer.

Regarding the book, The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss; while the book is helpful, it was updated with the guidelines provided in the January 2005 newsletter and has been further condensed into the MWL 10-Point Checklist, which together provide the most current program information. You do not need to buy the book.

Weight loss is an outcome contingent on behaviors; to change that outcome, it is necessary to change those behaviors. The most effective behaviors for achieving healthy, sustainable weight loss are outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist. In this group, our focus is on bringing our behaviors into adherence with the MWL 10-Point Checklist, not just our weight change from one week to the next. While we do recommend participating in the weekly weigh-in and reporting your weight change (up or down), the MWL program is not about rapid weight loss, but rather establishing a pattern of behavior and a way of living that produces steady, healthy, and lasting weight loss.

Weigh-ins are on Friday; participants have until noon PST on Saturday to report your result for that week. If you choose to participate in the weekly weigh-ins, please post your report in the following format -

Weight change +/- in lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support

Please post a new report each week. All group members are encouraged to post regardless of whether they have a gain, loss or no change to report.

Our goal is for you to learn the program, enjoy the food and change your lifestyle. The average weight loss at the McDougall 10-Day Live-in Program is 3.5 lbs in 7 days; the first week is when the majority of people have their largest weekly weight loss. The average over time is about 1% of your current weight.

This thread is intended for the mutual support of all who wish to participate. We encourage members of the group to converse openly with each other.

To anyone considering joining the group -

THERE IS NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT!

You are very welcome to jump aboard, just be sure to review the information in this introduction, and post below to introduce yourself. For all our returning members, give yourself a pat on the back for continuing to show up and put in the work! I can't promise that it will be easy, but I DO promise that it is worth it. I will do my very best to be present here periodically throughout the week to welcome new members, respond to questions, and share resources; thank you so much to Lindsey and Wildgoose who have volunteered to help out and jump in when they are able.

Our continuing focus for February is on taking action in accordance with the following ten points -

A 10-Point Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
  2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
  3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
  4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
  5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
  6. Eliminate any added oil.
  7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
  8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
  10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Your plate should look like this -Image For example,

I strongly recommend using the MWL 10-Point Checklist on at least a weekly (if not daily) basis to bring to your attention the areas that may hinder your progress. The more you are willing to use it in your own life, the more success you are likely to have.

An essential resource for everyone to review is Jeff Novick's presentation on the principle of calorie density -

Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer

Watching this video is one of the best ways to come to a clear understanding of the concepts embodied in the MWL program, and it will likely answer MANY questions and help alleviate confusion.

In addition to participating here, I would highly recommend you all consider starting a journal in the My Daily Menus & Journals forum. These journals can be really helpful in keeping track of your progress over time and they also help other members to learn from your experiences.

If you are in need of recipe ideas, the recipe section of Dr. McDougall's website has a category for MWL, filled with delicious recipes from Alu Gobi to Zucchini Corn Salad. If you prefer something extremely easy and affordable, try Jeff's SNAP meal template. If you would like to share recipes in this thread -

• Please do not post or recommend a recipe unless you yourself have made it and tried it.
  • Only post recipes that conform to the MWL guidelines.
  • If you have adapted a recipe to meet the MWL guidelines, please clearly list any needed adaptations.

I wanted to kick-off the month by sharing my own before and after MWL pictures. The picture on the left is from 2013 (the year my daughter was born), the one on the right is from 2018 (the year my daughter started kindergarten).ImageFeel free to have a look at my journal, to get a sense of how I used the Checklist to achieve my weight loss goals AND transition into a sustained period of "maintenance."

This month's first weigh-in is on Friday, February 7, 2020.

I wish you all a successful and health-supporting February!

FEBRUARY 2020 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
Dr. Lisle's discussion of The Ego Trap
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Cooper

Re: February 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby BlackBeanSoup » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks Mark! I'm in for February.
BlackBeanSoup

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:30 pm

I’m in too for February. Thanks for sharing photos, Mark!! Thanks for all of your efforts moderating this thread, also!! You have a unique knack for being helpful / supportive/ factual. You’ve been so successful and it is inspiring. :-D

Happy McDougalling in February to this awesome group!!
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby RacingSnake108 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:43 am

I'm in for February :-)

I will work on:

1. Make sure my plate is 50/50 (point 2)
2. Drastically reduce salt (point 3)
3. Eating in accordance with hunger (point 9)

The other points on the check list I find easy, but the above are NOT, so this will be a fun month working on those behaviours!

My running is going very well after a week on McDougall MWL, coming from a more refined vegan diet with a lot of flour and oil.

Thank you Mark for your support and commitment, and good luck to all my fellow MWL-ers
RacingSnake108

Postby MonicaHolly » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:48 am

I am in for February. Need to stay focused.
MWL starting weight 166.6 Jan 1, 2020. Goal 130
MonicaHolly

Postby JaBee » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 am

I am in for February.

Down 12.8# last month, weight 213.8 to current weight 200.8
JaBee

Postby JaBee » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:59 am

CORRECTION: Down 13#s last month!
JaBee

Postby Drew* » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm

I am ready to keep going with the MWL thread, also! This is an excellent support group to strengthen the 10 point goals!

-Drew
Drew*

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:06 pm

BlackBeanSoup - Fantastic! Glad to have you. :D

Stephanie - Thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate it. A happy February of McDougalling to you!

RacingSnake108 - That is great! Those seem like valuable areas on which to focus - it is wonderful to hear your running is going so well. :thumbsup:

Monica - I'm glad you are in! We'll do our best to assist you in maintaining your focus.

JaBee - Awesome! And a big kudos for a successful January!

Drew - Excellent! I'm glad you are finding the group support to be of value. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby MaryP » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:37 pm

I'd like to do the February weigh-in but I may not have access to a scales. I begged someone at another resort if ai could use the scales in their gym but I don't think I could do that every week. I may have to wait until March when I am home.

Starting Weight: 216
MaryP

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:37 am

MaryP - Please know that you are VERY welcome to participate in the group thread for February, whether or not you are able to report for each week's weigh-in. If you aren't able to access a scale on a weekly basis, I would suggest that you still report on weigh-in days, tracking your adherence against the MWL 10-Point Checklist; maintaining those behaviors over time is what will deliver the weight loss. Since you may not have feedback from the scale, it may be worthwhile to consider one or two other "non-scale" measures to provide information - perhaps how your clothes are fitting, how you are feeling, &c.
Mark Cooper

Postby MaryP » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks, Mark. My clothes are feeling looser and I can see changes in my body. I tend to think the scales at the resort were not accurate when I showed a gain last week. I am not going to let it keep me from moving forward. I want this to be the year that I stick to this and see significant changes in my health picture.
MaryP

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:16 pm

MaryP wrote: I am not going to let it keep me from moving forward. I want this to be the year that I stick to this and see significant changes in my health picture.

Good for you! :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:43 pm

A few questions worth considering, as you make your way through this week (and month) -

• What do you need to do this week to make adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist as easy and effortless as possible?
  • Do you have a plan for your meals?
  • What form of exercise do you prefer to avoid being sedentary? How will you include time for that exercise in your daily schedule?
  • What will you do when you don't feel like cooking or don't have enough time to cook?
  • Do you have a strategy for navigating social gatherings?
  • What about dining out - do you know where you can find acceptable foods and what / how to order? Or should you just avoid restaurants entirely?
Mark Cooper

Postby Aprincess » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:11 pm

What do you need to do this week to make adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist as easy and effortless as possible?
Avoid restaurants, and I’m going to find a different way to socialize that doesn’t revolve around food, or at least find a way to make compliant food part of the celebration

Do you have a plan for your meals?
I always have a plan for meals

What form of exercise do you prefer to avoid being sedentary? How will you include time for that exercise in your daily schedule?
I’ve found that the exercise bike does not both my hip and knee as much as the treadmill, so I pulled it out and will be using that this month.

What will you do when you don't feel like cooking or don't have enough time to cook?
I will have rice & beans along with a frozen veggie.

Do you have a strategy for navigating social gatherings?
If I find myself in such a situation I will eat before going and not sit in the area of the food.

What about dining out - do you know where you can find acceptable foods and what / how to order? Or should you just avoid restaurants entirely?
I’m best off just avoiding restaurants altogether.

~ Amy Princess
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program