Muesli, oatmeal: they need to go, right?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Muesli, oatmeal: they need to go, right?

Postby determined2bhealthy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:03 pm

In my cabinet I still have a container of oats and a box of muesli from Familia.

I would not eat the muesli with water, but I would and have eaten the oatmeal with made with water. For soem reason, I'm feeling a littler internal struggle over the oatmeal. I don't know why... :?

For MWL, I need to ditch the muesli and the oatmeal, correct?
determined2bhealthy

Re: Muesli, oatmeal: they need to go, right?

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:14 pm

Not necessarily. Depends on the ingredients in the muesli.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby determined2bhealthy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 pm

Hmm, well thank you both. :-)

It does not say this in the MWL guidelines, I know, but somewhere over time I got the idea that MWL folks did not do cereal at all--like, if it came in a box, then it was a 'no.' Glad to know it's not the case.

Have a great week!
determined2bhealthy

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:37 am

I just wanted to confirm that oats (groats, steel-cut, old-fashioned, rolled) are a perfectly acceptable food within the constraints of the MWL 10-Point Checklist -
JeffN wrote:A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

Oats would be considered minimally processed starches, and prepared in water have a calorie density of just over 300 calories/lb. Muesli (or even just plain dry rolled oats that haven't been further cooked, for that matter) can be relatively calorie dense - typically somewhere between 1500 and 1700 calories/lb, and would not typically be recommended under MWL.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
So, by all means cook and enjoy your oats, ideally for MWL with an equal visual volume of fruit (or vegetables). :D
Mark Cooper

Postby determined2bhealthy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:I just wanted to confirm that oats (groats, steel-cut, old-fashioned, rolled) are a perfectly acceptable food within the constraints of the MWL 10-Point Checklist -

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

Oats would be considered minimally processed starches, and prepared in water have a calorie density of just over 300 calories/lb. Muesli (or even just plain dry rolled oats that haven't been further cooked, for that matter) can be relatively calorie dense - typically somewhere between 1500 and 1700 calories/lb, and would not typically be recommended under MWL.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
So, by all means cook and enjoy your oats, ideally for MWL with an equal visual volume of fruit (or vegetables). :D

Hi Mark Cooper :-)
Thank you so much. I will keep the oats cooked in water and ditch the muesli!
determined2bhealthy

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program