January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Jiffy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi everyone,
I had a much better week focusing on adding more veggies (and beans) to my plate. Down from last week — Yay! :-)
My progress: starting weight 249.6 lbs, Current weight 242.0
Jiffy

Postby MonicaHolly » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:09 pm

1/31 -.2
Sorry a day late
155.8. Challenged with house guests this week and eating out. Happy with ANY loss.

Monica
MWL starting weight 166.6 Jan 1, 2020. Goal 130
MonicaHolly

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Stephanie - Way to go on hitting 9 points, and including more exercise in your week! That same part of Dr. Lisle's talk really spoke to me, as well. See you in February (which is today, I guess :lol: ).

SherryW -
SherryW wrote:For anyone who's struggling, and I know a lot of people are, this is the longest I have every stuck with any kind of diet change. Ever.

Thank you for sharing that, and good for you!

Carrieann - Congratulations on your successes this week & month! Give yourself a pat on the back for managing your salt consumption and finding a way to include exercise and avoid being sedentary! Please do keep in mind that eating only non-starchy vegetables for breakfast and/or not including starch at each meal is not recommended within the MWL guidelines.

Catswcravats - I'm gratified that you found the month to be successful! I wish you the best with overcoming those challenges, feel free to share them with the group, if you feel it might help. :)

Denise46 - I'm so glad to hear you are feeling back on track and that your mother is out of the hospital (my best wishes to her). If I'm not mistaken, you had a loss of 2.6 lbs this week and a total loss of 4.4 lbs for the month?

colleenaprn - :thumbsup: Awesome that you are feeling good!

Debsal - I recognize your disappointment - it can feel so demoralizing to feel like we are doing everything right, and still not see the outcomes we desire in the timeframe we expect. :nod: It does sound like you succeeded in many ways this month, despite those efforts not necessarily being reflected by the scale, and I want to take a moment to recognize and congratulate you for that. It is an unfortunate truth that some of us are predisposed (for multifarious reasons) to require a greater degree of adherence than others, in order to realize the outcomes we're seeking. The best advice I can offer is that you consider starting a food diary and recording everything you are eating for a long enough duration for the overall pattern to emerge. In my own situation, that really helped me to narrow down a few problem areas that weren't immediately apparent to me. It is also a way to "crowdsource" the community for input and assistance in circumventing any hurdles. Keep in mind that a 1 lb loss for the month isn't nothing, especially if one's weight loss has typically been gradual.

moonlight - Fantastic! 5 days 10/10!!! Preparation can so often be the primary difference between a successful day and going off the rails. For me, that sense of accomplishment you are describing is as much the reward of adherence as all the other outcomes. :D

etoirocks - Kudos! Simplicity is nearly always a valuable path to follow, and your plan moving forward seems solid for me. How exciting for you that your husband is willing to give this way of eating a try, and that the two of you can team up to make it work for both of you. Just for the sake of the tally - is that a loss of 9.4 lbs since January 17, or total since January 6? Just let me know, if you can. :D

pbnew - Great attitude, I'm glad you aren't feeling discouraged!

Miss Meta - :thumbsup: I'm so glad you are feeling pleased with the progress you made this month! Being attentive to the choices we make in our daily behavior is not only a big win, but is really a key to succeeding over the duration. Those crunchy, salty, calorie-dense "treats" are an extremely common "problem area" for MANY people. My go to items for a crunchy snack are celery and jicama, but I realize those may seem a poor substitute while the memory of salty tortilla chips is fresh in one's mind. Sometimes a period of complete "white-knuckle" abstinence from a particular hyper-palatable food can help the appeal to diminish. You are most welcome to continue your efforts in the February thread, it will go up tomorrow.

laurag - Good for you! Consistent forward progress and improvement, however gradual, accumulates and moves us nearer to our "destination." It's so great that you are feeling motivated and excited for February! Kudos for "vanquishing" Carl's Jr! Good planning & preparation for the win.

Drew* - Nice loss and great execution on the checklist! That 7-grain hot cereal sounds delicious.

Johnatmh - Congratulations on having a better week, and a significant loss this month!

troypohl - Thanks for reporting! How have things been going for you, in the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist?

Monica - :thumbsup: It sounds like a difficult week, good for you for not getting knocked completely off track.
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:52 pm

By my count, 47 participants reported for our fifth January 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible).

Here are the results for the 5th Friday in January:

Week ending 1/31/2020: 47 participants reported a total loss of -67.3 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Jocewally +6.00
Cnmsth +1.00
MaryP +1.00
Pbnew +0.80
Total gains: 8.8
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Alishana
AnnetteW
Butterfly043
kirstykay - Kirsty
laurag
MaryP
NomeOslo
Stormy
troypohl
JaBee -0.20
MonicaHolly -0.20
Lynn Fox -0.40
Leah Bell -0.50
LeahMT -0.60
Wild4Stars -0.60
VGuzman -0.80
Nat13 -0.90
Catswcravats -1.00
Debsal -1.00
FoodisFuel -1.40
Symbas -1.40
Carrieann -1.60
Deweyswakms -1.60
Miss Meta -1.60
Colleenaprn -2.00
Moonlight -2.00
Rlechols -2.00
VegSeekingFit -2.00
Squealcat -2.20
Victw -2.20
BlackBeanSoup -2.40
Drew* -2.40
SherryW -2.40
Denise46 -2.60
Abe -2.90
Michele613 -3.00
Wstokes -3.00
Chaz01 -3.20
Jiffy -3.60
KathyS -3.60
RacingSnake108 -4.70
Etoirocks -5.10
Johnatmh -5.40
Pootsy -5.60
Total losses: -76.1
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 383.77 pounds
Average loss for 5th week of January 2020: 1.4 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, February 7, 2020, in the February MWL Group thread

I want to congratulate everyone who participated in the group this month, particularly those of you who stuck with it all the way through this FIFTH WEEK! Way to go! I think you all have quite a lot of which you should be proud. For those who are feeling successful, now comes the challenge of just continuing the behaviors and actions that led to that success in the face of ever changing conditions. If you are ending the month feeling disappointed or in doubt, please, take a moment to show yourself a kindness, look back and take note of the many areas where you had tiny (or big) victories, and think through a plan for moving onward. The delays of providence are not necessarily denials, and as long as you are alive and have agency you can't fail if you don't stop trying. It was a privilege getting to interact with all of you for this first month of 2020. If you still have weight loss and wellness goals you would like to work toward attaining, I encourage you to join me in the February 2020 MWL Group thread to continue your efforts. I wish you all the very best, take care & be well!
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Cooper

Postby JaBee » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Down .2 pound last week, unable to send PM, sorry, Jabee
JaBee

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:02 pm

JaBee wrote:Down .2 pound last week, unable to send PM, sorry, Jabee

No problem, I’ll add you to the tally.
Mark Cooper

Postby LeahMT » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:02 am

I was out of town last week and wasn't able to post my weight.

Starting weight on 1/1/20 was 167 lbs. I am 5'4".
Last week 157.5
This week 156.9
Loss of 0.6 this week. I would've liked to see more, but surprised I lost at all with some cheat days while on vacation and eating out a lot.
Total loss this month 10.1. I am thrilled. Finally found a WOE that I can do easily and not be hungry.
Current goal is 135.
LeahMT

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:59 am

LeahMT - No problem, I've updated the tally to include your report. Vacations can be a real challenge! Congrats on a month of progress, I'm so glad you have been able to make this way of eating work in your life. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby etoirocks » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi Mark. Responding to your question. That’s 9.4lbs since 6 Jan. Sorry for the confusion :-D
etoirocks

Postby MaryP » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Gain: 1 pound
Weight: 216
Loss in January: 5 pounds

10 points:
1. Started each meal with a salad or soup or fruit: yes
2. Followed th 50/50 plan: yes
3. Eliminated sugar: yes, greatly reduced sodium: yes
4. Eliminated all animal foods: yes
5. Eliminated all high fat plant foods: 95%, slipped twice and had about a tablespoon of a nut based dip each time
6. Eliminated added oil: yes
7. Eliminated all higher calorie dense foods: 90%- had tofu once and corn tortillas twice
8. Don't drink my calories: I didn't
9. Eat to fullness. Don't starve myself: always followed this. Eating a salad before is key to potion control.
10. Exercise: yes. Most days an hour but never less than 30 minutes and up to 2 hours

It took me awhile to find a scale and I almost wish I hadn't as I had gained a pound. Not sure why because I almost ate 100% compliant. This week will be 100%. Hope I can use the same scales next week!
MaryP

Postby alishana » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:02 am

Hi ! Sorry to check in this late. I was visiting my family and they didn't had any scales. No changes for me in terms of weight.
I had a good week and made big positives changes during social meetings. My partner started mcdougalling on the first and wants to complete February so it's going to be fun !
alishana

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 am

etoirocks wrote:Hi Mark. Responding to your question. That’s 9.4lbs since 6 Jan. Sorry for the confusion :-D

That's what I figured! Thanks for your response. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 am

MaryP - Awesome execution on the checklist! It seems like your diligent efforts this week didn't show up on the scale, and that can happen sometimes for a wide variety of reasons. Adherence to MWL over time will serve you well. :thumbsup:

alishana - No problem! I am so glad you had such a positive week during your family visit. I'm excited for you that your partner will be joining you this month!
Mark Cooper

Postby Pradeepa » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:13 pm

Still at 157lb. That's where I started. Glad I haven't put on weight, but it's confronting how much it takes to lose those last 10lb. I'll still keep going, keep at it, go hatder.
157lb - same as last week.
Pradeepa

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Pradeepa wrote:Still at 157lb. That's where I started. Glad I haven't put on weight, but it's confronting how much it takes to lose those last 10lb. I'll still keep going, keep at it, go hatder.
157lb - same as last week.

Those last 10 lbs are definitely the most difficult to shed! How has adherence to the MWL 10-Point Checklist been going for you? I've recorded your weigh-in report, but please note that the February MWL thread is here.
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program