January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Carrieann » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:12 pm

201.2 -- January 31, 2020
Weight change -1.6
Total weight loss for the month= 10 pounds

Points from MWL Checklist that need greater attention:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. – Ate Brussel sprouts for my breakfast 5 days but that was my meal. For breakfast 2 days made fries in the air fryer (2 potatoes cut into thick slices)
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. – Mostly ate one thing as the meal, such as Brussel sprouts, or rice with beans/a veggie-type stew. Three days had either just apple or orange for the meal.

Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. – Was able to cut back significantly on adding extra salt. Not perfect but felt like this was a win for the week.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). – Increased more daily exercise, even though it wasn’t 30 minutes + but worked on moving more every few hours when possible

Carrieann

Postby catswcravats » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 pm

weight today -1 pound.

Successful month. This week had some challenges. Next week will too.
catswcravats

Postby Denise46 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:36 pm

Start 152.4
Today 148

Back on track, my mom is home from the hospital and I am able to eat more home made meals.
Denise46

Postby colleenaprn » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:32 pm

Weight: 220
Lost 2 pounds :)
Feeling good
colleenaprn

Postby debsal » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:15 am

Down 1 lb this week so that's a grand total of 1 lb lost in January. Pretty disappointing. I was on plan all month with the exception of an avocado sushi roll and 1 whole wheat wrap. No oil or sugar and minimal salt. 5 days a week either in the gym or walked outside. I didn't start with soup or salad because those were my meals with added starch. I've always been a very slow loser but my hope was giving up the bread and crackers this month would give me a good jumpstart for 2020. Wrong.
debsal

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:27 am

Weight change +/- in lbs
Down 2 lbs. !

Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
I had 5 days meeting all 10 pts. :D

Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
Being prepared. I worked longer out of the house than I had food planned. By the time I got home, I just made poor choices even though I had food prepared. I went for my husband's food....

General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support
I felt a real sense of accomplishment going for 5 days exercising and eating the way I wanted. I feel stronger. I said this before but planning my menu and preparing meals for the week really helps, too.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 am

Abe wrote:[*] I also reduced my Nutritional Yeast consumption to 1 T. per day. I have not found a healthy substitute that I like on the cooked green vegetables. I know that Mexican salsa is very popular, but I do not care for it or hot sauce in general. Any suggestions for what to put on cooked greens or broccoli in addition to vinegar or chopped tomato sauce? [/list]

Hi Abe,
I wanted to offer a suggestion regarding your question of what kind of sauce to use that's not loaded with nutritional yeast and is not salsa or vinegar or salt. I like to cook broccoli or cauliflower until it is soft then mix it into bulgur or rice or mashed potatoes - a 50/50 ratio. Maybe add a little granulated garlic or onion powder.
moonlight

Postby etoirocks » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:27 am

Hey y’all! Hope everyone is feeling fabulous this starchy morning! :P Due to some crazy traveling, my last post was two weeks ago. I did my best trying to navigate eating out for work dinners in Sacramento week before last and then I really got back on track last week, including limiting my starches to just taters and sweet taters, with half my plate being some type of green veggie and a couple of servings of fruit a day. I was feeling bloated after the trip and felt like I needed to be really simple and kinda strict with myself to get back on track. And also, I wanted to take advantage of my time being home to prep simple, delish meals. For me, during MWL, it’s easier to just prep veggies and taters and have them in the fridge ready to go rather than to make meals from recipes. I’m a food addict, so lots of times the yummy foods from recipes make me overeat. I’ll even stuff myself with simple pasta and maters. So, my first goal is 68.6lbs (I’ll reevaluate then), and during that time, while home, I will fill my tummy with simple foods. My starch until I travel again week of 17 Feb will be taters and sweet taters. Wish me luck!

Something exciting-my hubs, who will be going in late Feb for a surgical consult for ablation to combat aFib-he watched Game Changers with me the other night (a miracle on its own!). I asked him if he could eat a plant based diet and not have to have that surgery, would he try it. He’s agreed to try for two weeks. Wow! His biggest challenge is that he’s away from the house for work 10+hrs a day. He’s not always where he can heat up food. So we are going to have to work together to make sure he’s prepared. I know that a plant based diet doesn’t “cure” aFib. But it does increase heart health. They have told him to make lifestyle changes-lose weight, moderate exercise every day, reduce cholesterol, quit smoking (which he did for 6mos and then started back-and yes I know-ugh), and wear his CPAP every night for newly diagnosed sleep apnea (and he doesn’t). So he hasn’t made any positive movement in a year. A plant based diet will help most of those aFib triggers. So fingers crossed that this goes well.

Much love, starchivores!!

Jan 6: start date
Jan 17: -4.3lbs
Jan 31: -9.4lbs (yay-even with 5 days of travel!)
end of Feb goal: -20lbs
*GOAL*: -68.6lbs
etoirocks

Postby pbnew » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 am

Jan. 31. Up + 0.8 lb

Some pizza and wine last Saturday. Vegan pizza but certainly some oil.

Exercise: up and down 4 flights of stairs most days and weekly yoga class. Improvement needed.

I’m not discouraged!

Good luck to everyone in this new week.
pbnew

Postby Miss Meta » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:25 am

today's weight 190.2
loss last week is 1.6

I am actually quite pleased with my progress this month. I've lost 7.6 pound since I started tracking my weight on 12/28/19 (a week before this discussion). While I don't have 100% adherence to the 10 principles I think about my choices & behaviour much more closely, which is a win for me.

I struggle most with #7 - elimination of higher calorie dense foods, particularly tortilla chips, especially the ones that have the "good-for-you flax seeds" that Costco sells in the gigantic bag. I will continue to work on solutions to my desire for crunchy/salty snacks.

I have really appreciated being a part of this post. It has helped me stay accountable to myself to do the "weigh-in" each week.

Thank you Mark for your time and feedback on this thread.
Miss Meta

Postby laurag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Sorry late, same weight 148

I did well on fruit for dessert

I want to work on 30 min a day exercise

I actually made progress and need to keep working on both! I am so excited about Feb! I am at a very good place for food last night I was at Carl's Jr and didn't have anything I had soup before we went and my potato kale salsa when got back , had water when we were there and was fine. I'm super ready to really commit to mwl , I tend to not get the 50/50 plate and let off program snacking get me , I usually do one thing g a day that's not good for MWL so I'm ready to let that go :nod:
laurag

Postby Drew* » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Weight change on Friday: 176.6 lb …-2.4 lb
Down 8.8 lb since starting in this forum.

Overall this week I have followed the principles of the 10 point plan. I made some longevity soup with pasta (more peas than beans) and some “fried” rice that satisfied me for much of the week. If I had a McDougall Cup or other option when on the go I would usually add some veggies. In the morning I had frozen fruit to my grain cereal.

I still need to exercise more and am going to the YMCA today. I was so busy this week that this slipped to one time so my goal is to increase the number of times I do straight lifts to 3 X or more per week for a minimum of ½ hour of weight lifting/aerobic combo fell short. And it will be a bonus if I do some other form of exercises. Also, I need to be a bit strict with the flour on days when I do not pack a lunch. A good alternative is a local salad bar when there is time. Friday was not to helpful for the overall plan, but I am back on track.

Finally, I have found a 7-grain mix on Nuts.com that is perfect for my breakfasts and am looking forward to the delivery. It contains red & white hard wheat, oats, white softwheat, rye, triticale, barley. It seems nearly perfect for MWL hot cereal with some berries and a little oat milk from Trader Joe’s in the morning. I sound like a commercial here! Sorry! Looking forward to reading other people’s posts.
Drew*

Postby Johnatmh » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:05 pm

I had a better week this week!

Weight Change this week : -5.4
Total loss to date: 17.4
Weight:
02/01/2020: 363.6
01/25/2020: 369.0
01/18/2020: 366.8
01/11/2020: 368.2
01/04/2020: 381
Johnatmh

Postby Michele613 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:39 pm

Miss Meta....I can totally relate to the craving for 'something' crunchy....that has been one of my biggest challenges....carrots and apples just don't do it for me at those times. Sometimes oven french fries cooked to somewhat of a crisp helps. So far this month I've survived major temptations but am literally taking this journey one step, one day, one meal at a time.

Hang in there....we know it will be worthwhile to live a healthier life. :)
Michele613

Postby troypohl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 pm

January 31, 2020 Weigh-in
Male: 
Height: 5'10"

Weight: 186.6

Goal: 174

Down 0  lbs from last weigh of 186.6 on January 24, 2020
troypohl

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program