December 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby stillcrazy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:01 am

How cool to have Jeff answer my questions! Farro is kind of nutty-wheaty tasting and is a little more chewy than rice, at least the way I cook my rice.

I am trying very hard now, and successfully for at least a couple of weeks, to be very strictly 100% compliant, hoping I will move into a state where cheese and ice cream don’t call my name as loudly. I grocery shopped yesterday and found myself looking for things that I could “get away with,” baked potato chips for example. But I caught it and didn’t go there! Avoided the slippery slope! Good on all of us any time we get through one of those moments! Vee
stillcrazy

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:30 pm

AnnetteW wrote:
I'm really looking forward to January already, who else?

I always look forward to Dec 26th! But yes, let's get to 2020! It really helps to focus on a goal. I'm fighting to stay at 185 and not go up half a pound for whatever reason. I may have to cut calories a bit to make this solid. Anyway, off to swim a bit. And let's all be gentle with ourselves. Happy Holidays
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby victw » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm at 138.2 this morning. It's a lb up from last week. For the month - I'm about the same. I'm up two lbs from the Friday before Thanksgiving. This doesn't seem so bad.

I tried to have some planned off plan eating this week. Clearly it does not balance with the on plan eating.

I missed todays donuts and the christmas luncheon 'cuz I'm working from home. There was a lot of interesting self talk about working from home. I seemed to have some FOMO (fear of missing out) around not being in the office for what isn't good food. And is not actually a very good time either. Work has a strange Christmas tradition of a raffle. But one of my coworkers summed it up yesterday - it's all alcohol and sweets.

I'm still getting lots of veggies in but enough of the other junk still has by BM cycle off. This is really the bell weather for me. I know I'm eating well if things are moving well.

We leave tonight for almost a week. We are staying at a hotel with a mini fridge and microwave in the room. We are also by a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I like to get the TJs bags of sugar snap peas. Nuke them for less than 30 seconds. And eat and/or have on hand.

It won't be perfect. We have at least two dinners out planned. And the well actually the only dinner in on Christmas day - I have little influence over healthy options.

The weather looks good - so I think we will be able to get out for daily walks.

I also am looking forward to January. I've tried to stay out of the what the hell mentality. And the you can start in January mentality. But wow - it will be nice to have a somewhat cleaner environment.

Hmm - did I mention that I had air fried sweet potatoes, sugar snap peas and cherry tomatoes for breakfast. And grapes for my morning snack. It's not all bad. For lunch I will probably have the same as I'm trying to eat up what's in the house. I have a "ritual" of picking up chinese for lunch when I work from home. Ah... the rituals.

Happy Holidays all.
I will set myself a reminder to post next Friday. We will just be back from our trip.

Vic

Edited - wow what a ramble. Lots of half sentences. I"m not sure any of this makes sense.
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby laurag » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:37 pm

So I'm at 148 still but very happy about it! I was at 150 earlier in week not sure why. I'm focusing on a after dinner plan today of a bowl of cherries and tea. If I am truly hungry potato with kale and salsa. Happy Holidays I had fun getting gifts for people . Hope we all have Joy!
laurag

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi Guys!

Thank you for checking in this week. We are almost through it; just a week and a half more until the New Year. Then, the whole world is on our side again, trying to reign in indulgences and be a bit healthier. That’s when things get easier for us. No more tempting treats on the lunch room table, no more special catered holiday lunches, no more seeing twice a year friends for dinner and drinks. From the sounds of the talk in the thread this week, a number of us are looking forward to that reprieve (it makes me feels very bah-humbug to say that because there is also so much to look forward to in the coming week and a half...but for our purposes here this time of year can feel like tiptoeing through a minefield. Very tense)
I have other big news to share!
As of January the MWL Weigh-In threads will have a new facilitator. Someone many of you already know and may have even followed his progress
I am very pleased to welcome the McDougall forum’s newest volunteer, Mark Cooper to the MWL group. :)
I first came to know Mark when he joined us in the August 2018 MWL Weigh-In thread. He had already been following the plan for some time on his own and was very familiar with the guidelines. He came here looking for a little extra support while nearing his final goal. As it turned out he was actually a really great source of support to all of us; and now he’s back for more. Thank you so much Mark for taking on this opportunity.

I thought you all may want to get to know Mark a little bit better. He was kind enough to answer a few questions about himself (in addition to providing the above links to his journal and forum introduction).

amandamechele wrote:
What brought you to the McDougall plan?

I’m in my 40s and had started dealing with the onset of various maladies - aches and pains, high blood pressure, fatigue, as well as a worsening chronic sinus problems that I’ve struggled with since childhood. I was pretty out of shape - I’m about 6’ 2” and at my heaviest I reached 220lbs. When my daughter was born in 2013 I decided that I should get serious about health and wellness for her sake and mine. I lost about 20 lbs with standard dieting and exercise before I discovered Dr. McDougall and this way of eating. I’ve been a vegan since 2001, but I was a “junk food” vegan most of that time.

amandamechele wrote:
How much weight did you lose and how long did it take?
Did you have other health issues of concern? Were they resolved?

Once I started, my weight dropped to 185lbs (my weight in high school!) without much effort. After becoming 100% oil-free and fully compliant with the plan, I was amazed to see my weight eventually go all the way down to about 155lbs! My blood pressure dropped to 90/70 and I was able to stop all medications. Between being very strict with this way of eating and giving up all alcohol, my chronic sinus problems also pretty much vanished.

amandamechele wrote:
Would you like any personal details mentioned; area you live, occupation, age, family, pets, hobbies or interests?

I live in Princeton, NJ with my wife, Beth, and my 6 year-old daughter, Posey. I previously taught cartooning and worked as a designer for museums; since the birth of my daughter I've been working as a homemaker.

Please join me in welcoming Mark. :)
This is the cutest family photo ever!!

PS. If you are looking for food inspiration this week check out what I will call Mark’s Wall of Bowls...LOL.

PPS. There is another person that will also be contributing to the MWL thread come January, but I forgot to message her to ensure she didn’t mind if I mentioned it tonight...so that just means there are more surprises in store for everyone...LOL.

Here are the results for the 3rd Friday in December:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, December 27th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 446.22 pounds
December 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Total group loss in October 2019: 22.1 pounds
Total group loss in November 2019: 15.3 pounds
Total group loss in December 2019: 16.7 pounds

Week ending 12/20/2019: 7 participants reported a total loss of 0.4 pounds
---------------------------------------
AnnetteW - 0.6
VictW - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 1.6
--------------------------------------
Deweyswakms - 0.2
SandySue - 0.0
Stillcrazy - 1.8
LauraG - 0.0
Amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 2.0
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in December 2019: 16.7 pounds
Week ending 12/20/2019: 7 participants reported a total loss of 0.4 pounds
Week ending 12/13/2019: 7 participants reported a total loss of 8.1 pounds
Week ending 12/06/2019: 8 participants reported a total loss of 8.2 pounds
amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:26 am

Sorry to see you leaving amandamechele, but I'm sure you'll be hanging around still. And welcome to Mark, it will be nice to get to know you better.

Yesterday's new low led to another new low tonight. I actually saw a 145.x this morning, and that was my goal for the end of December, so I reached it. Now I wonder if I can actually be below that 145 by the 1st of the year.

I too am definitely looking at the New Year as a time to clean up and finish up this initial round of weight loss. But I have no plans on doing anything silly.
AnnetteW

Postby wildgoose » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:18 am

Amy, you’ve done a wonderful job with these threads. All your encouragement to everyone, your great food pictures, and the resources you find for all the struggles we have — well done! Do stick around and post from time to time. We want to know how you’re doing.

Mark, glad to have you on board and looking forward to hearing from you. That family picture is priceless!

Annette, congratulations on 145-land! That’s a big milestone. Onward and downward!

As for me, I’m holding between 136 and 138 for the second month now. The Gander and I are plannng a quiet Christmas dinner. He’s asked for pretty much a repeat of Thanksgiving. The wild rice stuffed squash was a big hit, and I have leftover cooked wild rice in the freezer from the batch of stuffing I made on Thanksgiving — so one dish made easier right there.

My youngest grand-Gosling drew a picture of me yesterday. He draws rectangles for bodies, but mine these days is a long thin rectangle, not a square. :lol: Happy to see that I’m thin in the eyes of a second-grader. Kids always draw things as they see them.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby laurag » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:23 am

Wild goose good job on being a rectangle! Nice! So funny and flattering :)
laurag

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:55 am

Amy thank you so much for that kind welcome. You have absolutely set the standard for how positive and empowering this group is and can be! I’ll do my very best to aspire to your level of thoughtfulness and empathy. Thanks to Annette & Wildgoose for the kind welcoming words, as well. I’m traveling for the holiday until the 29th, but I greatly look forward to getting to know everyone better in the new year. I’m so excited for a successful and health-supporting 2020!

Best to all and happy holidays!
Mark Cooper

Postby Michele613 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:38 am

Dear Amy,

Well it appears that it's time for the changing of the guard. :cry: Thanks are so limiting but they must be given to you for all of your encouragement, support, inspiration, tact and thoughtfulness throughout these extended months of your being at the helm. You will be sorely missed even though you have left us in Mark's good hands. I wish you the very best in your life and with your new adventures because I have no doubt that you'll be using your talents to help others in some other manner if not here or at home. G-d bless and happy holidays!

Welcome Mark!
Michele613

Postby laurag » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:17 pm

Are you really leaving Amy? I didn't want to believe it . Thank u for all your responses you always did such a wonderful job, it really came through how much you care. Happy Holidays to u and can't Thank u enough for believing in all of us
laurag

Postby amandamechele » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:49 pm

Annette - Woop woop to the new low! LOL.. maybe it is time to try this thing as written, please keep us posted on how it goes. Every little step closer is bringing you progress. It may not occur in the timeframe you want, but it is happening, slowly but surely. (No need for me to tell you how I know this...LOL... don’t let that frustration win!) Congratulations at keeping the silly at bay.

Vee - Awesome job Vee! You won that battle. Best wishes for the next; practice makes it easier. Farro sounds delicious.

Marsha - Almost there!

Vic - Lots of sentences that made perfect sense! Your breakfast sounds delicious. I really like air fried sweet potatoes, better than baked sweet potatoes.

Laura - 148 is a good spot to be. Buying gifts for others can be so fun! What did you buy? I have a bad habit of giving people things that I love or want...LOL. I just finished my Christmas shopping today...at least until tomorrow when I will discover I need just one more thing. I can’t wait for the 25th. Gifts and staying in jammies and all of the kids happily occupied in the same room at the same time; with my favourite books and movies. We also watch It’s a Wonderful Life, The Sound of Music and The Goonies every Christmas season. Then we play board games (this year it’ll be Settlers of Catan and Rummikub).I used to be a bit more excited about the treats and special buffet breakfast that I would make for everyone, but I’ve had to change my mindset on that. I hope you have a joyful holiday as well. (I already received my gifts this year - a clean home and clean car - best presents ever. Those kids were very busy today)

Wildgoose - Thank you. And thank you for also stepping up and agreeing to be a help to Mark with the monthly weigh-ins. Your wisdom from experience as someone who successfully traversed this path will be a a welcome addition to the weekly weigh-ins.
(This was the added surprise I was referring to on Friday!!).

For those of you who may have missed it, here is Wildgoose’s story MWL Works Our lovely Goose is retired and enjoying time with her Gander and 2 grand-goslings. She has managed to work the program guidelines while living in a household that is supportive but by no means clear of temptations and while living in an area without access to specialty stores, relying on her local Krogers and a bit of online shopping. Wildgoose has been maintaining a BMI of 19 using the MWL guidelines in addition to avoiding added salt and sugar. I welcome you to the thread formally Wildgoose, thank you again! May your success bring inspiration to everyone here.
Here’s my favourite picture of Wildgoose and her family:
(Hee hee!)

Mark - Thank you and have a lovely holiday!

Michele - XO. Thank you. Your words mean a lot to me. My words to Laura below apply equally here. We are each other’s MWL forum family and always will be.

Laura - XO. Thank you too, for engaging and sharing and being real. Your care was felt equally and I appreciate that. I believe in you and hope that you believe in yourself too. The combination of truly health supporting dietary guidelines and seeking self-esteem through excellent effort has been the best system I have ever come across for weight loss. Doesn’t mean it’s always easy, but it gives us a fighting chance, literally.

Happy Holidays Everyone! For our holiday movie viewing tonight it is Aladdin with Will Smith. It’s not really a holiday movie, but it’s colourful, has really fun songs and Will Smith does a great job (Robin Williams is a hard act to follow, and admittedly still my favourite). It also appeals to all of the ages of my children.

Good night,
Amy
amandamechele

Postby wildgoose » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:26 pm

Thank you, Amy, for the welcome and the nice words. Although if my family were as big as your picture indicates, I think I’d be one loony Goose! In reality, it’s just me and the Gander here in our local nest. We have two out-of-the-nest Goslings who have flown way too far away, and two grand-Goslings (boys, ages 7 and 11), who are in their parents' nest, way across the country (thank heavens for FaceTime).

So it’s a quiet Christmas here. Simple food, simple pleasure, safe at home. I wish the same to all of you.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:24 am

I don't want to post my weight this morning...I just want to hang my head.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:07 am

I love new beginnings, they keep Life fresh and interesting. I love bowls so will be sure to check out Mark's bowls. Thank you Amy for the loving support. Welcome Goose. I'm sure you can herd this flock.

I am so glad it's the 26th. Rest and recovery is my motto! I managed to surf the waves of tempting treats, although did savor a small slice of the lemon meringue pie after a vegan enchilada dish on the 24th. Truth be told, I have found that the goodies aren't very good. If I'm going to indulge, then it better be really special to warrant the calories.

So I essentially held my own, I don't count this as a real loss, to me it's NOT a gain! My real goal is to land and stay on 185.

11/28/19 weight is 186.4 -.6
12/5/19 weight is 186.4
12/12/19 weight is 185.6
12/19/19 weight is 185.4
12/26/19 weight is 185.2 -.2

Hope all is well and healthy. Cheers, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program