December 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

December 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:41 am

Welcome to the December Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!

Welcome and welcome back. :)

So, it’s December.

I like December.

December can be so fun...so full of friends and shopping and family and maybe even snow, depending on where you live.

December is also packed full of tempting treats. Inordinately so. Food, food everywhere; and we all know I’m not talking sweet potatoes or tomatoes.

Do you have a plan for how to navigate this final month of the holiday season? I do! It’s called the MWL plan.
Why wait until January to start working on your weight loss goals? When, instead, you can really send this year off with a bang!

It can also be a good idea to review this past year and make a list of lessons learned (I stole this from the page where I got that picture above...LOL). It is a pretty good idea.
If you have been stalled with your weight loss for awhile make that list. Where do you need to draw the line?

Join me and make this month your most adherent month of 2019. Let’s do this, go out with a bang!

Amy XO.

Our weigh-ins are on Thursdays and you have until 12 PM PST on Friday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

*This is merely an example of one strategy, versus an endorsed part of the MWL program.
amandamechele

Re: December 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Sandy Sue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm

I am starting Maximum Weight Loss today and would like to join the December weigh in thread. Thank you.
Sandy Sue

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:58 am

Hello December and Winter! Well, I was in a MWL groove until the past week. Now it's as if I forgot how to do it! Even a few treats are a bomb to my plans. So back to the basics, again. See you on Thursday. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby laurag » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi everyone, when I had a craving for bread or whatever I shifted gears for a minute (I took a shower)just that time made me realize I got this and its ok. I like to think that I'm above the pleasure trap I hate to admit that but my brain is very difficult when it comes to food I like. I know it didn't make sense and it's not true.I think I need to go over pleasure trap again. I have been doing good though only eating mwl and I got an air fryer! I love the fries my husband likes them and that makes my heart sing that I can feed him something healthy! He is diabetic and loves fast food. Happy holiday season! I do love eating this way! We all got this!
laurag

Postby amandamechele » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:47 pm

Sandy Sue - Welcome :) Best wishes starting the program, please feel free to ask any questions that you may have and you can also check out the How to Begin forum. It answers many questions for those starting the regular McDougall program, but also has a thread specific to MWL. Best wishes this week. :)

Marsha - Good call, back to basics is exactly what to do after a tumble. XO.

Laura - The Pleasure Trap can be very difficult to master, especially when you keep tempting it. That has been my hardest lesson to learn. Definitely revisit Dr. Lisle’s lectures as often as you need to in order to remind yourself of how your mind works in order to best navigate those cravings. My heart is singing in hearing how happy you sound. Keep up the great efforts. XO.
amandamechele

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:58 am

Hello December,

11/21/19 weight is 187
11/28/19 weight is 186.4 -.6
12/5/19 weight is 186.4 0 gain or loss

Which is a good thing since it took me 7 days to lose the 2.1#s gained from Thanksgiving. Calories in count! Too much good food is still too much. Now I am back into my MWL groove of eating simple veggie-strong meals. One of my favorites is peas, mashed potatoes and carrots. It's surprisingly filling. Batch meal prep is a must for me too.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby alishana » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:41 am

Hello everyone !
I'm down 2lbs this week. It's crazy to me, I'm down 38lbs since I started this journey. I'm so grateful !
alishana

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:09 am

Perhaps I should be on the maintenance thread....oh, to truly be there. Don't worry, I won't keep posting the whole month prior, this is more for my own information, and hopefully a bit of motivation.

I absolutely have to set a goal and work for it. I'm pretty sure I said that last month too, but being up a solid 1.5 lbs makes it more important to me.

I want to see a 145 on the scale some time during the month - that's my goal.

Oct 31 - 147
Nov 11 - 148 (+1 lb)
Nov 14 - 148 ( 0 lb -/+)
Nov 21 - 148.6 ( +0.6 lb)
Nov 28 - 148.1 (-0.5 lb)

Dec 5 - 148.5 (+0.4 lb)
AnnetteW

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:50 am

Marsha - I’m glad you enjoyed a healthy spread and your friends this Thanksgiving. No weight gain is the icing on the cake. LOL. Ok, cake won’t help with weight loss. Congratulations on jumping right back to your program and being none the worse for wear for your healthy holiday indulgences.

Alishana - Wow, nice loss this week and in toto. It’s not crazy, it’s a combination of your good adherence and a great set of guidelines. Congratulations! How close are you to your goal?

Annette - I’ve thought the very same thing many times...LOL. You will get there legitimately, in time. It may be helpful to set your goal this month not on an actual number on the scale but on a certain level of adherence that you think may bring you to that number. That way, if the number isn’t hit but your compliance level was you come out of the month feeling good about what you have accomplished and hopefully encouraged to just keep at it. XO

I’ve been keeping my eating pretty simple and am having success (is it any wonder? LOL).
Here’s a few photos, just because. :)
amandamechele

Postby Michele613 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:23 am

Down 1.8#s

Have a healthy week everyone!
Michele613

Postby Sandy Sue » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:31 am

Hi everyone,

I just began on Sunday, Dec. 1. I was inspired by seeing You Tube videos of Esther Loveridge who has lost over 100 lbs. on the McDougall plan. She started a few years ago when she was 73 I think. That is how old I am now. I have some of the same medical conditions she had, namely osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, diverticulosis and hypothyroidism among others. She has overcome her medical problems by eating this way and I am hoping to do the same. I have lost 4 lbs. this week.

Starting weight--12/1/19: 258 lbs.

Present Weight--12/4/16: 254 lbs.
Sandy Sue

Postby Artista » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:24 am

I'm down 1.4 lbs. this week. I ate a lot of potatoes this week and was afraid I had gained weight but I guess it's really true that potatoes don't turn into fat. I've lost 2 lbs. in the last two weeks which is really encouraging after being on a plateau for several weeks.

Wishing you all a happy and successful week! :)
Artista

Postby victw » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm at 138 this morning which is 1.8 lbs from 2 weeks ago. We were on vacation the whole week of Thanksgiving. The increase isn't horrible. But...

I'm looking forward to a rainy on-call weekend. I can stay in and decorate the tree. And make a pot of soup.
I had an idea make the beans on Friday night so i could... What. Yikes. Some kind of 3 day plan that's already gone out of my mind. Well the point is - that I need to prep food for next weekend.

Vic

Chili - I think it was chili. I like to combine different beans. And it never works to cook them all together. So i can get them cooked separately tonight and tomorrow and combine on Sunday.
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby Sandy Sue » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:28 pm

[quote="amandamechele"]Sandy Sue - Welcome :) Best wishes starting the program, please feel free to ask any questions that you may have and you can also check out the How to Begin forum. It answers many questions for those starting the regular McDougall program, but also has a thread specific to MWL. Best wishes this week. :)

Thank you for the welcome. :)
Sandy Sue

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi All!

We are off to a pretty good start this month. :) Thank you to everyone who has checked in. Our newest member, Sandy, mentioned that she was very inspired by a certain Star MDougaller and I thought I’d share her story (and a few others) for anyone who has never read it. Knowing how effective these guidelines are when you really dig in will remind you of where your efforts can take you.

Ester Loveridge: Her New Life

Chrystl Lax: Lost 80+ Pounds, Looks and Feels Younger than Ever

Lassie Nelson: Lost 135 pounds: Cures Morbid Obesity

Jennifer Loses an Average of 0.3 Pounds a Day

So keep your focus! Write in your journals. Remember your goals and intentions. Track your slips in order to recognize troublesome situations and patterns. Envision how you will feel after a really good week. Acquaint yourself with the the success of others to inspire you own... and remember to smile more, look for the good around you and find joys in your life that are not food related.

All the very best this week,
Amy XO

PS. An exciting change is coming to the MWL Weigh-In group in the New Year. A fresh perspective. More details to follow. :)

Here are the results for the 1st Friday in December:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, December 13th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 437.72 pounds
December 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds