Every time I eat a McDougall meal, I pass out.

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Every time I eat a McDougall meal, I pass out.

Postby LadyOfAvalon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:07 am

When I eat a junk food meal (usually fried chicken in my case) I'm fine. When I eat a Dr Fuhrman style meal (beans and veggies) I'm fine. But when I eat a McDougall meal, (for instance sweet potatoes and veggies) I am suddenly overwhelmed with exhaustion and actually pass out and sleep for a few hours. This is clearly making the diet unsustainable for me, I have to work, I can't sleep every day away. Why is this happening? I prefer McDougall meals over Fuhrman meals (quite honestly I don't really like the Fuhrman meals at all) but it seems like I'll have to do the Fuhrman diet instead if this can't be resolved. I don't get this problem with any other WOE.
LadyOfAvalon

Re: Every time I eat a McDougall meal, I pass out.

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:37 am

Exactly WHAT are you eating? It'll help us help you if you post a few days of everything you eat and - every meal, apx amounts. It could be, as Serene said, you're not eating enough, or you may be eating too much. It could be you're eating foods you think are on plan but aren't. It could be a number of reasons.

In what way are your McDougall meals different than your Fuhrman ones? I know Fuhrman allows more nuts and has no limit on beans, and lately has a phobia against rice - heck, most starches. Dr. McDougall limits nuts and beans and his program is starch based. Fuhrman pushes a big salad for lunch and a bean soup for dinner. Both men say oatmeal makes a dandy breakfast. Just add some starch to those other meals and you've got the McDougall food plan.
VeggieSue

Postby LadyOfAvalon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 am

VeggieSue wrote:Exactly WHAT are you eating? It'll help us help you if you post a few days of everything you eat and - every meal, apx amounts. It could be, as Serene said, you're not eating enough, or you may be eating too much. It could be you're eating foods you think are on plan but aren't. It could be a number of reasons.

In what way are your McDougall meals different than your Fuhrman ones? I know Fuhrman allows more nuts and has no limit on beans, and lately has a phobia against rice - heck, most starches. Dr. McDougall limits nuts and beans and his program is starch based. Fuhrman pushes a big salad for lunch and a bean soup for dinner. Both men say oatmeal makes a dandy breakfast. Just add some starch to those other meals and you've got the McDougall food plan.

When eating Fuhrman-style, a typical meal is kidney beans, cooked and raw vegetables and nuts. A typical McDougal meal for me is a baked sweet potato with cooked and raw vegetables. Apart from the lack of fat, the main difference I can see is that the McDougal meal is basically pure, quickly absorbed carbs, while the Fuhrman meal is slow-release carbs and protein. So I wonder if the problem with McDougal meals is that too many carbs are being instantly released into my bloodstream. I'm not diabetic, but maybe it could be affecting me anyway. I know in theory I could add some beans to the McDougall meal but then my calories are way too high. I know we aren't meant to be counting calories but I need to lose weight and I'm already struggling to stay below 1700 cals a day, if I add beans I'll be over 2000 cals and that's just too much.
LadyOfAvalon

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:53 pm

You are pretty much on the right track, but here are a few insights: potatoes and sweet potatoes are not “quickly absorbed carbs.” That would be white flour products, pure sugar, maple syrup, but not whole foods and starches. Also, I always struggled when I measured portions, but once I followed the guidelines to eat when hungry until comfortably full, I maintain weight effortlessly and never feel hungry.

So, a couple ideas: for lunch and dinner, use a reasonably sized plate, make sure it’s at least 1/2 starch (by visual volume) and include 1/2 c beans at each meal. Do this for a couple weeks, and see where you’re at. If it’s not working, reach out and we can help with some other ideas.

I eat a similar amount as you. 1 lb of sweet potato plus 1 lb of steamed broccoli is around 550 calories. It’s a pretty boring lunch, but nutritionally sound. Add some beans if you want, and you are still in a reasonable 700 calories (I personally could not eat all of this in one sitting).

Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:41 pm

I just came across this old thread and thought it may have some relevance for you.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7890#p56620
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program