Rice on MWL

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rice on MWL

Postby Texanvegan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:43 pm

Hello All,

Has anyone ever had success on MWL or just losing weight period when eating rice frequently? Have you noticed a difference between your rate of weight loss when eating potatoes vs rice?
I eat steel cut oatmeal every morning with cinnamon and blueberries only. And I'm good with that for the long haul.

When I have some type of potato dish for lunch and dinner then i lose weight.

However, if I start having rice at lunch and dinner, then i I plateau. Is this common?

I do enjoy potatoes to a point but I burn out quickly and wish I had the same results with rice. I enjoy rice more and feel that there are so many more options with starch solution friendly rice dishes.

I will admit, I have been unsuccessful at this for years due to falling off the wagon but I also feel to loose weight my only choice is oats and potatoes.

Anyone else run into this rice plateau.
It's my first time posting although I've followed for years so thank you in advance for any advice
Thank you

50 year old male
225 #
5'8'

Goal is 155#
Texanvegan

Re: Rice on MWL

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi. Let me take a stab at the answer. Potatoes are 450 cal/pound, and brown rice just a little higher around 560 cal/lb. Potentially that tweak could add up over the course of a week. Here is the calorie density video.

So, a couple ideas: sequence your meals to start with a soup or salad. Follow the 50/50 plate. Use different grains in place of rice (such as bulgur, quinoa, barley, etc). Try a different brown rice (I find short grain to be quite satiating). Little changes can add up to a big difference! Good luck.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Texanvegan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Thank you for the tips. I think those are very valid points. I have yet to explore those other grains. Ill look into those as well and see how it works. I like the soup first idea too
Thanks Again
Texanvegan

Postby Ejeff » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:32 am

It is likely that the falling off the wagon is a bigger issue than whether you eat rice or potatoes. If you enjoy rice eat it as well as potatoes and oatmeal. If you deprive yourself of rice, you may feel like you are not enjoying your meals as much which could lead you to the falling off the wagon. Perhaps oats for breakfast, rice for lunch, and potatoes for dinner. If you stick to the plan you will lose weight, don’t be concerned with how quickly you lose it.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Mayapples » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 am

I second trying different grains. While I'm not sure why, I tend to find hulled barley (not pearled), farro, and wheat berries more satiating than brown rice. Perhaps it's their higher fiber contents? I know some people have had success eating a lot of rice, but I find it much easier to overeat than I do chewier grains.
Mayapples

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:32 am

Lyndzie wrote:Potatoes are 450 cal/pound, and brown rice just a little higher around 560 cal/lb.

I just wanted to add some additional info to this.

Baked potatoes are about 425 cals/lb
Boiled potatoes are about 345 cals/lb
Baked sweet potatoes are about 410 cals/lb
Boiled sweet potatoes are about 345 cals/lb

So the manor a food is cooked can change the calorie density by adjusting the water content.

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Texanvegan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks again all. Good points and info
Texanvegan

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program