November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby vegman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:46 am

amandamechele wrote:
Vegman - You’ve hit a 2 year low. That is wonderful! Congratulations on 5 months of strict adherence and more than 10 pounds down.

Thanks.

I'm grateful that good adherence to MWL is allowing me to healthfully and comfortably lose weight gained from overly loose adherence, and to feel healthier.

It's not hard; I just have to be careful not to go off-plan, which is a pretty effortless groove now that I'm in it.
vegman

Postby Artista » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:13 pm

My weight is the same this week as last week.

I thought of a few strategies that might help me to move off of this plateau. One is to exercise more. I used to walk every day but haven't been as consistent with walking since I Iost my dog. I’m going to work on that. Some other strategies I thought of are to try avoiding salt, to be more careful with how much fruit I eat in a day, and to avoid soy milk. I like to put soy milk in tea to mellow out the bitter taste of the tea but since soy isn’t considered part of MWL, I would like to try and go without it. Maybe learn to like the taste of tea w/o anything added to it. I remember reading once that bitter is the one taste most laking in the North American diet. I’m guessing salty and sweet would be the tastes most abundant in the N. American diet.

I appreciate reading everyone’s posts. It helps to be reminded that it can be a difficult climb back after an episode of wayward food choices. I know that’s consistent with my experience. I’ll be reminding myself of that a lot as I head into the Thanksgiving holiday and spending lots of time with family and around food I would rather not eat. My strategy is to take a lot of food that I can eat and share with my family and to adopt a no-compromise policy, rather than the it’s-okay-just-this-once policy that can get me into so much trouble.
Artista

Postby victw » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Weight was up a whole lb - 137. I did have success will my meal prep. I made a nice batch of veggie bean soup. I'm having the last of it today for lunch. I was not successful with the Halloween candy that is still out. Last year - I did not touch it. This year - it's every day.

Mostly I'm frustrated that I continue to eat when I'm not really hungry. For awhile I had the attitude that food was sustenance. Not so focused on the emotional and entertaining side.

Also - I'm a bit confused. Because this weight is consistent with my weight this time last year. But my pants are definitely tighter. I even have a pair that I don't dare try on. I was really trying to get away from that.

I still have lots of good days - and I'm still consistently eating more veggies than ever. Lots of nutrients.

I think I will make a batch of pinto beans this weekend. They are my favorites. I will look for simple ways to eat them.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby amandamechele » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 am

Hi All!

Thank you for checking in! I’m always so happy to read about everyone’s progress, or just to read about how your week has gone, progress or not. XO.
I’ve posted this thread before (Compliance on a Healthy Diet) but I wanted to trot it back out again as Thanksgiving approaches for many of you.
We all know that successful weight loss in the context of the MWL plan means following the guidelines as closely as possible as often as we can. It’s all about time and consistent adherence. Jeff writes:

Know thyself.

As this study shows, for many of us, it is that occasional lapse on a "forbidden food" that is going to start the downward spiral.

Looking at the full study, it was forbidden foods, usually consumed at home, usually in the evening, usually on the weekend. So, to be successful, we have to keep our home and our environment a safe place and to avoid feeling deprived, which we can do by eating when we are hungry until we are comfortably full of the approved foods.

As the old saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind." For many of us it is also, "in the house, in the mouth."

In Health
Jeff

Practice lapse control! In a couple of weeks it will be Thanksgiving and you can be mentally ready by getting as far out of The Pleasure Trap as possible. That way, you’re less like to lapse and more likely to enjoy that time focusing on friends/family and not the food. XO

Amy

Here are the results for the 3rd Friday in November:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 22nd, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 417.42 pounds
November 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Total group loss in October 2019: 22.1 pounds
Total group loss in November 2019: 3.2 pounds

Week ending 11/15/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of -3.2 pounds
---------------------------------------
Moonlight - 4.0
Victw - 1.0
ShortnSweet - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 6.0
--------------------------------------
Alishana - 0.0
Deweyswakms - 1.0
Vegman - 1.6
AnnetteW - 0.0
Artista - 0.0
Amandamechele - 0.2
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 2.8
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in November 2019: 3.2 pounds
Week ending 11/15/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of -3.2 pounds
Week ending 11/08/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 3.1 pounds
Week ending 11/01/2019: 8 participants reported a total loss of 3.3 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby Shortnsweet » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:57 am

Forgot to report in...again.
Day before weigh-in day I was down 1.3 lbs from previous week.
Weigh-in day I was back to same as previous week. So, officially 0.0 for 11/14 weigh-in.
Today, I'm up 1.0 from 11/14.

I'm all out of whack again. Trying to refocus and get my *stuff* together today.
Shortnsweet

Postby amandamechele » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:48 am

Shortnsweet wrote:Forgot to report in...again.
Day before weigh-in day I was down 1.3 lbs from previous week.
Weigh-in day I was back to same as previous week. So, officially 0.0 for 11/14 weigh-in.
Today, I'm up 1.0 from 11/14.

I'm all out of whack again. Trying to refocus and get my *stuff* together today.

No probs! I’m glad you’ve checked in.
This can be a tough go sometimes but thankfully you know what to do. Best wishes sorting through all of the puzzle pieces. I’ve found you get enough edges put together the rest of the picture becomes easier to see.
1) Get out of the Pleasure Trap. Eliminate all trigger foods through following the plan very closely for a time. If you can, get them right out of your house for now.
2) To aid this be prepared. Have the groceries bought, food prepared and waiting to be eaten.
3) Also be prepared for the discomfort of the cravings withdrawal and remember they won’t last forever, be strong for this period of time.
4) Avoid tempting situations. Try to minimize outings that focus on food until you feel like you are in a comfortable enough spot to refrain from offers or nibble on offerings.
5) Most importantly remember your previous success and that it can be done. You have proven to yourself that following the guidelines and applying social and psychological strategies to aid that process work.
I know I’m not telling anything that you don’t already know, but my wordiness is offered as a reminder of things that can become muddied by emotion and disappointment in oneself.
I am here for you. I have been and am in the same situation, all the time. Resist the desire to take a break and not think about this. Our genetics (anyone with the ability to gain 100 pounds or more who has also gained much of it back a number of times) do not give us that option. The gains come on too quickly and the losses too slowly. Do your best to keep your head in this and please let us know what’s going on. We are here to help.

Amy XO.
amandamechele

Postby laurag » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi group I listened to Dr Lisle secrets to positive change in utube it really resonated as much as the calorie density idea I think this is another piece to the puzzle ! So think of a time u could have a minute to spare to watch secrets to positive change :)
laurag

Postby amandamechele » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Vegman - That is fantastic to hear. It really does come down to close adherence.

Artista - Good strategy for the holiday. Bring your own food and eat it. I was able to get used to drinking plain tea, it took some time and now I use 1 teabag per pot, so that it’s weak and I get more enjoyable sipping throughout the day without too much caffeine. You are correct, the soy milk is adding unnecessary liquid calories and is recommended to be avoided.

Vict - The soup sounds lovely. What have you made for this week? Are there still Halloween treats hanging about your house? They get me every time too and each year my family has gotten better and better at recognizing I can’t have them around. My husband has put them in the trunk of his car, or the kids have played a (very sad) game of putting them in new hiding spots daily to keep it out of my sight and off of my mind. Ultimately we’ve realized these charades don’t work for me so the candy (if any) will be going to my husband’s work next year so I have no access. That’s been my learning curve, and you will find you r own too if you decide to. As for the eating when not hungry, the best way to combat that is to keep things simple. If you are adding any flavourings, like condiments etc, try lowering or eliminating them for a time and see if that works for you. How did you get into a good groove last time?

Laura - That is a good one and I highly recommend it to everyone. :)
amandamechele

Postby vegman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 am

Last Thursday: 157.4 (BMI 23.4)
Today: 157.8 (BMI 23.5)
Change: +0.4 pounds

Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)

Not too surprising to break a six-week streak of no weekly gains.

Trying to make a daily habit of two circuits around the local walking trail, for a total of 10K steps in addition to any other walking.

Update: this AM slipped on the light coating of ice on the wooden bridge, and nearly fell. Need to avoid such issues when walking in this weather.
Last edited by vegman on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegman

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:31 am

Thursday Nov 21, 2019
Boy November is blowing out fast!

I will study that 'lapse control' link because I gained .6 lb this week! Darn. I actually gained more but managed to get rid of all but the .6 lb. I know what happened and see that too much deviance from MWL, for me, especially anything with too much sodium, definitely shows up on the scales. My Thanksgiving will be spent with several other plant eaters so that will be nice and interesting. Enjoy, Marsha

10/31/19 weight is 188.2
11/7/19 weight is 187.4
11/14/19 weight is 186.4
11/21/19 weight is 187 (+.6)
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:45 am

Oct 31 - 147
Nov 11 - 148 (+1 lb)
Nov 14 - 148 ( 0 lb -/+)
Nov 21 - 148.6 ( +0.6 lb)
AnnetteW

Postby laurag » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am

Artista I have started to walk too! So sad about your dog I'm sure we just have to be grateful for the time we have with them they are so special. I put myself on a plan I walk in morning at 8:30 and I know what pants and shirt to wear and I just go. It's worked so far this is my fifth walk in a row. My uncle who walks everyday 20 min very fast says u have to be religious about it .
laurag

Postby Artista » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:32 pm

laurag wrote:Artista I have started to walk too! So sad about your dog I'm sure we just have to be grateful for the time we have with them they are so special. I put myself on a plan I walk in morning at 8:30 and I know what pants and shirt to wear and I just go. It's worked so far this is my fifth walk in a row. My uncle who walks everyday 20 min very fast says u have to be religious about it .

Hi Laura, Thank you for your sweet comments about my dog. I did get out and walk today. The weather was really nice so I walked almost an hour. I'm trying to be better with doing some exercise every day. One of the points on the 10-Point Checklist for MWL is to "aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily." So that's my goal. :) That's great that you are making a plan to walk every day and doing it early in the day before you have a chance to get sidetracked. I think that your uncle has the right idea, to be religious about it. I saw this movie "Code Blue" about a doctor (don't remember her name) who recovered from multiple sclerosis through a WFPB diet and exercise. She had a deep devotion to her daily exercise and meditation. She had a note on her wall that said, "Exercise is my discipline".
Artista

Postby Artista » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

My weight is the same this week as last week, and the same as the week before. I did stick with all my goals. I think I'm just a really slow loser. I read a comment on the forums here, I think it was by Jeff Novick but I can't find it now, and it said something like: being a woman, over 50, short, and working on the last 5-10 lbs. are all factors that can slow down weight loss. All 4 of those things are true for me so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised if I have really slow weight loss. :)
Artista

Postby amandamechele » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:29 am

Vegman - I’m glad you were able to right yourself before a fall. My mom slipped on ice years ago and had to have 2 screws put in to fix her elbow up. Best wishes this week getting that exercise safely. :) The city my sister lives in has an indoor walking track at one of their rec centres, if your city has one it could be a great winter walking destination.

Marsha How lovely that you will spend Thanksgiving with veggie friends. Do they eat a McDougall style plan too? What are you planning to make? It’s great to hear that you caught the slip off plan and quickly righted yourself. That is a part of lapse control.

Annette - Thank you for checking in. Best wishes for the coming week. XO. November is going too fast, but we’ve still got December to close out the year feeling good.

Laura - Congratulations on the walking. That’s a great plan. :) How are things on the food front?

Artista - I totally missed that 1 line about your dog, I’m so sorry too. I’m glad you’re following the 10-Point Checklist. It can be a very helpful daily guide. I’m not familiar with the post you are referring to but I understand how you are feeling. You may have reached your natural equilibrium for the level of eating you are comfortable with and your exercise levels. Since you mention that you are meeting your dietary goals, keep doing what you are doing and time will tell. :) Here’s more from Jeff: Fine Tuning the MWL Program and Calorie Density.
Last edited by amandamechele on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program