November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:30 pm

Welcome to the November Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!

This month’s mantra:

To follow the MWL plan with all of your heart is to decide exactly what your level of adherence will be (and remember the closer the better) and to do your best to live up to that intention for the month. It’s important to be honest with yourself because it sets up expectations which can help or hinder progress depending upon whether you exceed or fail to meet them. (I’ve been exploring, observationally, the role of expectations in many previous posts: setting reasonable goals, internal and perceived external expectations, violation of expectations, individual and group expectations and their effect on social behaviour. Sirdle also recently linked a great article from Dr. Lisle exploring expectations with regards to willpower). In the past I have made the suggestion to try and lower one’s expectations in order take advantage of this motivational boost that’s felt when you exceed them. However, I realize that we don’t ultimately have full conscious control over what we will come to expect of ourselves; that calculation is partly veiled. It can be influenced by good information, however, and that’s where reading through the excellent information available on this website can help: Dr. McDougall’s Newletter Archive, the How to Begin Forum, Jeff Novick’s Forum, and all of the free video and lecture material.

On a personal note, I have noticed that I nest my intentions; the one I say out loud and the one I actually really want (which is usually a much bigger more difficult goal or desire). I’m not sure that this is really a good idea or not, but it seems to help me battle the potential for Ego Trap Issues (for those familiar with Dr. Lisle’s work). This is possibly my own little way of trying to lower my expectations but I’ve realized that I’ve got to be careful because it just may be a tricky little ego-defending procrastination strategy I’ve been playing with myself. Things to ponder...LOL.

So, let’s follow our hearts this November all the way to better heart health and a whole bunch of weight loss! I look forward to spending the month with all of you.

Amy. XO.

Our weigh-ins are on Thursdays and you have until 12 PM PST on Friday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

*This is merely an example of one strategy, versus an endorsed part of the MWL program.
amandamechele

Re: November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:47 pm

I’ve tallied the results from last week located in the October weigh-in thread, and here they are:

Here are the results for the 1st Friday in November:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 8th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 417.52 pounds
November 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Total group loss in October 2019: 22.1 pounds
Total group loss in November 2019: 3.3 pounds

Week ending 11/01/2019: 8 participants reported a total loss of 3.3 pounds
---------------------------------------
Stillcrazy - 1.0
Artista - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 2.0
--------------------------------------
Deweyswakms - 1.0
Vegman - 0.0
AnnetteW - 1.9
Sirdle - 1.4
Moonlight - 1.0
Amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 5.3
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in November 2019: 3.3 pounds
Week ending 11/01/2019: 8 participants reported a total loss of 3.3 pounds
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:48 pm

I’m so excited to coddiwomple with you all this month!! Thanks you, Amy, for leading the way. :)
moonlight

Postby alishana » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:03 am

Hi everyone, I'd like to join you for November (and maybe more) !
I've done some meal prep' and thanks to Amandachele I know how to show you :D

Rice salad and a bad lighting : with spinach, cherry tomatoes, corn and sweet white onion
Backed potatoes : I like to steamed them first and then put them in the oven, that way they are not "dry" but still crispy !
alishana

Postby AnnetteW » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 am

Here's to another month. This is definitely a good time of year to work on my meal compliance. That's again for leading us all.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:40 am

Good morning everybody. Yes, I am in until my belly/BMI has shrunk, whatever that # happens to be. And I am making great progress too. I know this group and MWL will help me traverse the tempting holiday treats. Thanks for the tip about steaming potatoes first and then finishing them in the oven. I notice that I am eating less fruit. I love fruit, but 1 apple or 1 pear a day now, and I wonder if that is fueling some of my weight loss too. Tasty apple varieties in the store now!
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby laurag » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:55 am

Happy November I love the calorie density thing! Having great success with making soup
laurag

Postby laurag » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 pm

I used can of crushed tomatoes lots of water salsa chopped celery and carrots onions and seasoned it up with basil . I added into my soup bowl before I poured soup in kale and lentils , yummy! I have been eating carrots and celery sticks, not the most original! But easy cheap and I love dipping celery into my potato kale salsa mixture which is my go to lunch or evening snack. I like the idea of living healthy in an unhealthy world (someone here said that ! Not sure who my memory is not so awesome sometimes.) I love being the rebel knowing that I know the way to health and big business is trying to get me at every turn with all the salty fatty propaganda! But really I am just sad for the people who are all where I was not knowing the truth. Honestly I looked really hard for the right way for so long I am so grateful to be here.
laurag

Postby victw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:02 pm

I've been sloppy. Eating the work junk. So I'm moving from the maintenance thread to weight loss thread.
Sunday mornings weight was 136.6.

I baked some potatoes last night. And made a batch of beans Saturday. Need to convert those into some meals.
I've had 8 oz of veggies already and the daily goal is 21 oz. I know. I know. We don't weigh. This works out to half a plate.

Having bean salad and potato fries for lunch.
Apple and grapes for fruit snacks.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:45 am

victw wrote:I've been sloppy. Eating the work junk. So I'm moving from the maintenance thread to weight loss thread.
Sunday mornings weight was 136.6.

Vic

Hopefully we don't see you here for long, Vic. And when you do see us again it is on the Maintenance Thread.

:D
AnnetteW

Postby Rosey » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been reporting. Was at a stage of frustration. My weight has been going up and down because of swelling doctors still think it's my kidneys and are wanting me to change my foods even more. Don't think McDougall would agree with them because they are telling me less starch. Just wanted to check in here so you guys don't worry about me to much. HUGS!!! I agreed to do no more then 1/2 cup a beans a day and less rice and potatoes but they couldn't get me to agree to none. They pretty much are saying mainly veggies and fruits and seeds.
Rosey

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:19 am

Rosey wrote:Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been reporting. Was at a stage of frustration. My weight has been going up and down because of swelling doctors still think it's my kidneys and are wanting me to change my foods even more.

Hi Rosey. One of my good plant-strong online friends has kidney disease, had a kidney replacement. And she is 100% very tight with eating only plants. It is working for her. If you want, I could ask her to give me a typical diet of what she eats. Good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:38 am

Good morning, here we are, coasting into November.

10/17/19 weight is 189.8
10/24/19 weight is 189.2
10/31/19 weight is 188.2
11/7/19 weight is 187.4
loss of .8#

Whew. A few days ago I weighed 186, but then ate out for lunch, because an allergist appointment took 2 hours! and I found myself unprepared for hunger before I had to hit the grocery store. I ate a 'healthy' taco salad (no sour cream) with probably 1/3rd cup of avocado. Bam, 2#s heavier the next day. Always happens. It's the sodium content I think. So I had to get very controlled for rest of this week to show a loss. I stayed out of Halloween candy! All that sugar feels like poison to my body.

We can do this. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby vegman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:06 am

Last Thursday: 159.8 (BMI 23.8)
Today: 159.0 (BMI 23.6)
Change: -0.8 pounds

Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)

Was up intra-week, but now down. Seems useful to weigh more often than I record, to stay on track.
vegman

Postby Shortnsweet » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 am

Hi! I forgot to report in last week.
10/31: Gain 0.1
11/7: Loss 1.1

I've officially lost 22-lbs!

My goal is to lose 100-lbs in 100-weeks for an average of 1-lb loss per week. Today is week 23 and I've lost 22 lbs.

I've been doing really good with exercise. I love Pilates on the reformer. I go about 3 - 4 times per week. I'm starting to see and feel a difference in my abdomen where I carry majority of my weight.

I've been doing pretty good with eating, but I'm letting a few no-nos slip in (vegan junk food). But, the worst offender is the wine. I did a 30-day no wine challenge a couple months ago and that was fine. I just don't see me doing that over the holidays.

So. I'm going to try to reign it in and get back to wine on weekends only. I know wine isn't compliant with MWL, but I'm just being real here folks. :o
Shortnsweet

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program