November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby alishana » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:24 am

Hi ! So happy to report a mega lost ! I lost 2lbs. It's crazy, i've didn't been this low since 8 or 9 years. It's really strange because I've been eating a lot of junk this week. Even with the lost, I'd like to focus on eating healthy because I feel so much better when I do (physically and mentally).
alishana

Postby vegman » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:25 am

amandamechele wrote:Vegman - I’m glad you were able to right yourself before a fall. My mom slipped on ice years ago and had to have 2 screws put in to fix her elbow up. Best wishes this week getting that exercise safely. :) The city my sister lives in has an indoor walking track at one of their rec centres, if your city has one it could be a great winter walking destination.

Amy, thanks for the info about your mother's accident. It's good to be reminded of the danger posed by ice. Unfortunately, there is no indoor walking or other exercise facility readily available to me, although this may change if I move. There's always walking around my apartment! It warmed up yesterday and any slight ice coating went away, and today will be in the 50s. During winter ice can be an issue for a long time.
vegman

Postby JeffN » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:16 am

Artista wrote:I think I'm just a really slow loser. I read a comment on the forums here, I think it was by Jeff Novick but I can't find it now, and it said something like: being a woman, over 50, short, and working on the last 5-10 lbs. are all factors that can slow down weight loss

Yes. You have it right. Generally speaking, women have a harder time losing weight, as do those who over 50, as do those who are short. Those with all three, generally have the hardest time.

Weight loss is always more difficult when you get down to the last few pounds in anyone and especially harder for anyone who meets the above 3 criteria.

Fine tuning the MWL program will help you achieve your goals.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby laurag » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi there :) I will use the encouragement of exercise is my discipline I do really like the idea of being active and actually doing guidelines ! My food thing is ok trying to have soup before dinner and making plan for dinner breakfast and lunch are usually fine . I'm checking in this week at 158 lbs
laurag

Postby Artista » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:55 pm

JeffN wrote:
Artista wrote:I think I'm just a really slow loser. I read a comment on the forums here, I think it was by Jeff Novick but I can't find it now, and it said something like: being a woman, over 50, short, and working on the last 5-10 lbs. are all factors that can slow down weight loss

Yes. You have it right. Generally speaking, women have a harder time losing weight, as do those who over 50, as do those who are short. Those with all three, generally have the hardest time.

Weight loss is always more difficult when you get down to the last few pounds in anyone and especially harder for anyone who meets the above 3 criteria.

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, thank you for your input. I'm encouraged that if I stick with the program, maybe fine tune along the way, I will eventually accomplish my goals.
Artista

Postby Artista » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:09 pm

amandamechele wrote:Artista - I totally missed that 1 line about your dog, I’m so sorry too. I’m glad you’re following the 10-Point Checklist. It can be a very helpful daily guide. I’m not familiar with the post you are referring too but I understand how you are feeling. You may have reached your natural equilibrium for the level of eating you are comfortable with and your exercise levels. Since you mention that you are meeting your dietary goals, keep doing what you are doing and time will tell. :) Here’s more from Jeff: Fine Tuning the MWL Program and Calorie Density.

Amy, thank you for your encouragement and for the link to how to fine tune the MWL program. I was starting to think maybe I need to try something like weighing and measuring my food, but I think I'll just stick with the MWL program and be really diligent in how I follow it and, other than that, just give it time.
Artista

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:17 pm

Hello. I lost 0.9 lbs this week. And, I achieved new milestone of having less than 100 lbs of body fat!

I am falling behind on my goal to lose 1-lb/week on average for 100-weeks. I'm 2.1 lbs off track and going into the holidays doesn't make me feel very confident about closing that gap.

Hopefully I can pull myself together and get back on track!
Shortnsweet

Postby moonlight » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:28 pm

I’m down 1 lb from last week (at 171). I was hoping my recent 4 lb gain was mostly sodium. I think the big loss had more to do with medication (decongestant). So I regained after decongestant. Also, my eating has been off. I had a big lapse while eating out while out of town (and recovering from upset stomach due to antibiotics). Anyway, I’m glad to be at 171. I was encouraged by JeffN’s remark that as we age we may lose at a slower rate. I’m definitely losing at a very slow rate but I can’t seem to be real diligent about staying within the MWL guidelines. I feel it’s more my lack of adherence than my age. However, I’ve noticed that I can’t exercise like I did when I was younger. I can easily do too much then be sore and tired for days. Hopefully, I’ll find a sweet spot where I can exercise every day and stay within the guidelines of the diet. Lately I’ve allowed more whole wheat bread in my diet. I just crave veggie burgers and I’m tired of craving things I want to eat. All that said, I will continue to set my goal on staying with MWL (except for whole wheat bread and air popped popcorn occasionally) and daily exercise.

I will be out of town next week so I’ll check back in December. Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the US! :)
moonlight

Postby laurag » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:30 pm

Oops I meant 148 lbs
laurag

Postby victw » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Lost track of this thread and it was a little bit of a crazy week.
I'm in tech and had to do one of those crazy all hands on deck come in at 3:00 am on Sunday morning. It threw me off for a couple of days and I also caught a cold.

I was down .8 lbs. But no routine this week. And I did not end up making my soup.
We leave for a week in NYC tomorrow. Lots of eating out. Will try to stay food sane. I mapped the whole foods from the hotel. But not Trader Joe's. My favorite while travelling is the bags of sugar snap peas from TJs. If I eat one of those every day or so it works out.

I won't be posting next week. See you all in December.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby amandamechele » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:15 am

Hi All,

Nice week! Congratulations on all of the healthy choices that you each made. XO.
Thanksgiving is days away, are you ready? Do you have a plan for navigating each event you are hosting or attending?
The motto this week is Be prepared!
If you hope to get through this holiday without a gain, and hopefully to continue losing it will be important to do as the scouts do.

The McDougalls have already done the work to help you prepare with the following menu, shopping list and time schedule: Mary in Your Kitchen: Thanksgiving Planning from the October 2005 McDougall Newsletter.

Have a wonderful time celebrating with the ones you love and best wishes to all.

Amy

Here are the results for the 4th Friday in November:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 29th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 424.32 pounds
November 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Total group loss in October 2019: 22.1 pounds
Total group loss in November 2019: 10.1 pounds

Week ending 11/22/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 6.9 pounds
---------------------------------------
Vegman - 0.4
Deweyswakms - 0.6
AnnetteW - 0.6
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 1.6
--------------------------------------
Artista - 0.0
Alishana - 2.0
LauraG - 0.0
ShortnSweet - 0.9
Moonlight - 1.0
VictW - 0.8
Amandamechele - 3.8
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 8.5
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in November 2019: 10.1 pounds
Week ending 11/22/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 6.9 pounds
Week ending 11/15/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of -3.2 pounds
Week ending 11/08/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 3.1 pounds
Week ending 11/01/2019: 8 participants reported a total loss of 3.3 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Artista wrote:
JeffN wrote:

In Health
Jeff

Jeff, thank you for your input. I'm encouraged that if I stick with the program, maybe fine tune along the way, I will eventually accomplish my goals.

And I agree! I am 72 (5'9" moderatly active) and while being plant-based for years, couldn't lose more weight until I started MWL in July 2019. In some 4 months I have lost 11 pounds, close to 12#s. Slow but steady, and it will come off.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Saturday Nov 23rd, 2019

My fridge is full of prepped MWL foods. I have lost that darn +.6# I had to report on Thursday. And I just tried the orange and red cabbage salad that I will take to Thanksgiving feast. Fortunately 5 or 6 other vegans will bring food too. It makes a mess to fix but is surprisingly tasty. I'll probably make it again the night before, so the flavors can develop overnight. https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... #gs.hypr2e

I am curious what other recipes you will be preparing?

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby cmwann » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm not sure why I quit posting, but the last time I posted was July 26th, so basically four months ago. At that time I was excited to be at 138, and I'm happy to report I've lost another three pounds, so I'm at 135 now. Only FIVE more pounds to go until I'm at my first goal weight. It may take a year to get there at this rate, but I'm NOT giving up! It feels so good to be healthy and know I'm on the right track!

Good luck to everyone!
cmwann

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Sunday Nov 24, 2019
Hey y'all,
if you wonder what to make/eat for Thanksgiving (or any time really), this salad is FABULOUS. I made a test batch to see if it would work, definitely put it in the fridge overnight for the flavors to develop. Just great. Messy to make though when cutting the orange slices away from their membranes, but I ate those anyway.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... #gs.iqhz5r

Have a good and healthy week, Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program