Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines questions

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines questions

Postby niejemmiesa » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:39 pm

I am a little confused about calories density theory. In the "Starch Solution" chapter 12 says that sugar will not make you fat. So I assumed that if I avoid animal products and eat food low on fat (like no more than 3 g per portion) and no oil I should be OK. It turns out that I am not loosing weight after one month of dieting. Now I am reading in this thread that I should not eat flour products, dry fruits, and white rice. Too much sugar. So sugar can make me fat or keep me fat after all.

So the book "the Starch Solution" is misleading because it never mentions about calories density and in addition to watching fat we also need to watch sugar intake. I know there is no magic in loosing weight so saying that only fat can make people fat is only a partial truth.

I munched on dates to avoid eating cookies and chocolate, ate few flour tortillas a day to prevent being hungry between meals. White rice was great with frozen blueberries and stevia. I also ate lots of flour noodles. I can forget about all these luxuries.

I hope eating semolina is OK in addition to potatoes, buckwheat, beans, carrots, and other veggies. Also having oat milk with oatmeal is probably OK. One cup a day of oat milk with 2.5 grams of fat.

I noticed that I am completely not in a mood of eating raw salad with veggies like green onions, tomatoes and lettuce. I used to eat it a lot before this diet. I guess I get enough vitamins from other food items like waw apples, blueberries and strawberries.

I also have question what is wrong with cocoa powder with 0.5 fat per tablespoon, and what is wrong with coffee without cream. As for wine it has probably too much sugar in it or maybe there is a different reason not to consume alcohol.

To summarize, in my opinion the diet is more restrictive than I thought. It is October. I bought a dress for Christmas Party that is one size too small. I have no choice to stay on diet if I want to use this dress by December. :-D
niejemmiesa

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines questions

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:07 pm

This video should help you with understanding the concept of calorie density. https://youtu.be/0CdwWliv7Hg

The starch solution is not a weight loss book, it is a guide to the proper feeding of humans. If you are eating too much processed food, you will gain weight (or at least not lose). The Maximum Weight Loss program is great for shedding unwanted pounds. Reading the first four posts in this forum will be helpful, especially Can I Really Eat as Much as I Want?

There is a difference between allowed foods and recommended. Cocoa powder and coffee are allowed. Wine is not recommended (don’t drink your calories and alcohol is carcinogenic). White rice is fine, but brown will keep you fuller longer. Pasta is fine, whole wheat is better. Skip those flour tortillas, though, just eat an apple.

Eat whole plant foods. Fill at least half your plate with starch. Make some SNAP meals. Get in that dress! :)
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines questions

Postby sirdle » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Hello Stefania,

Weight loss is simple... but rarely easy: If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight; if you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight. In terms of weight gain it doesn't matter if the calories come from fat, protein, or carbohydrates.

The McDougall way is not merely a "diet", it is a way of life which allows you to eat hundreds of different fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes. It sets forth the principles but allows you to choose exactly how to implement those principles based on your unique desires and tastes.

The Maximum Weight Loss guidelines are more restrictive than the regular McDougall plan because they were created to maximize weight loss. They can be particularly helpful for those who struggle to meet their goals while following the regular plan.

If you are not losing weight you need to reduce your calories or increase the amount of exercise you're getting (maybe both). So let me turn the question around for you...

How are you going to reduce your calories without going hungry?

The best way to start is with those foods that provide calories without helping with satiety, also known as 'empty' calories: fats, sugars, liquid calories, and alcohol. Next would be those foods which are OK, but you tend to overeat on. This is where you need to adapt this way of life to meet your unique requirements. (Pasta is OK, but I can easily eat tons of it. So I still eat it, but I restrict it to no more than a couple of times a month. Your mileage may differ. ;-) )

You are not required to eat raw vegetables. You can also roast, steam, saute, microwave or boil them. You can add them to soups, stews, and sauces. But they are your friends when trying to reduce your calorie density.

And as Lyndzie points out: white rice is fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program