New and question on sodium

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New and question on sodium

Postby sensenmann » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:49 pm

I have been on the whole food vegan lifestyle now for 3 weeks and been following it 100% till 3 days ago. I only drink water and 1 cup of almond milk (for my overnight oats) a day. Only whole fruits and vegetables with no added salt or sugar with about 60% being starches. I have been losing weight each day at about the same rate until 2 days ago. While at my cousins house i got pressured into eating some chicken tenders, mainly because I wanted them to stop nagging me. So for the last 2 days my weight hasn't changed, neither lost or gained. I went back to check the nutrition info and I ate roughly 500-800 mg of sodium.

Can sodium cause water retention? Hence why no weight dropping or just something that normally happens?

Thanks for the help and advice.
sensenmann

Re: New and question on sodium

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Sure. Increasing the amount of salt in your diet can lead to water retention.

But a lot of other things could be going on, too. Maybe you drank more water? The chicken tenders might have a longer retention time in your intestines because of the reduced fibre. Right now, my weight is dropping at about 1/2 lb per week.... but never exactly 1/2 lb in a week. One week it might be 0.2 lbs and then the next 1.2 lbs. And I can lose 2-4 lbs overnight due to urine and respiration.

Tracking your weight on a daily basis can be pretty tricky and is not generally recommended because of all the false signals you can get. And trying to understand all those signals can drive you crazy!

Don't worry about it; you're doing the right thing. Stick with it and you'll continue to see improvement.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program