October 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Belana » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 am

Good morning MWL world, I'm back.
I posted this yesterday thinking it was Friday. :roll:
I'm re-posting, so apologies if any of you have already read this.
Perhaps I jumped the gun because I started drinking coffee again in the morning. :lol:
Gotta say, coffee helps!
I've gained a little over 7 lbs from traveling and generally being in situations where I lose all control over my eating. Add booze to that, and there's my recipe for weight gain.
Oh yeah, it's been colder than normal here, so that doesn't help at all!
Since I've been home, I'm finding that I'm constantly struggling with challenging social situations, the cram circuit and binge eating while I'm trying to stay on MWL. On top of that, there are my emotional triggers. Honestly, my emotional triggers are the most difficult to deal with.
Soon I will be faced with my most challenging emotional trigger: visiting my elderly mother. I know this is a biggie for me, so I'm trying to minimize the time that I'll be staying in my mother's house.
I'm also going to be traveling a lot again. I find it virtually impossible to stay on MWL while traveling.
Anyhow, I'm bringing my scale to my mother's since I'm driving there. I'm hoping that checking in here while I'm at my mother's will help mitigate all my aforementioned issues while keeping me motivated and sane!
I need a place to vent, where I'm supported and understood while I'm trying to get back to my ideal weight in a very challenging and triggering environment.
Doug Lisle told me in person that controlling one's environment is key to succeeding in weight loss. Well, that's not going to be possible for me coming up here soon, which is why I'm back here on MWL with all of you. I need all the help and support I can get right now. Especially, when I'm staying at my mother's!
It's very comforting for me to be here again because I know all of you understand what I'm saying. Plus, I know I'll get the support I need.
None of us are naturally thin! Otherwise, we wouldn't be here.
Personally, being around naturally skinny or lean people is very difficult! Moreover, being on MWL while everyone around me isn't, is exceedingly difficult and sometimes excruciating!
Once one loses weight, everyone thinks your naturally thin! Well, we're not and it's super tough maintaining our ideal weight!
No matter where one is in ones weight loss goal/journey, we're all in the same boat when it comes to weight loss. Weight loss is VERY TOUGH!
Thanks for being here MWL. I know I can always count on you!
Before I left for Europe, I was down to 98.8 lbs!
Current weight: 107.4
Goal/ideal weight: 100
Belana

Postby moonlight » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:52 am

Hi Everyone!
Amy, I’m sorry to be reporting so late. I keep forgetting!! I haven’t lost any weight this week... grr

I’m wishing everyone a great week. I’m wondering if Sirdle may disappear with all his weight loss! Congrats, Sirdle, and everyone that’s got the scale going in the downward direction!! You are an inspiration!
moonlight

Postby Belana » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:37 am

amandamechele,
Thank you so much for welcoming me back and for the advice.
My mother is fine, if you can call a 91 year old victim of the opioid crisis 'fine.'
I'm leaving Oregon and driving to Cali sometime after the 28th.
I'm flying out of SFO on November 21st, so once I get to the SF Bay Area, I'm going to stay. I'll be at my mother's until then, so not an insignificant amount of time.
I'm not a plant based expert, so perhaps that's why I don't do "quite well." ;-)
The # 1 most troublesome situations are the getting there part. Traveling has become ridiculously stressful compared to when I used to travel years ago; with all the layovers, rules, regulations and ridiculous extra charges for stuff that used to be free. Not to mention the endless amount of security one must endure now. I have TSA Pre✓, but that doesn't help anymore. the lines for that are just as long as regular security.
I lived in Europe for a post-grad year, so I would fly back and forth all the time. My parents traveled a lot and they would take me with them from a very young age, so I remember what that was like. Traveling has become very unpleasant compared to when I traveled years ago in the 20th century.
One would think in the 21st century, travel would get better, not worse!
Once I get to wherever I'm going, then it's very difficult to eat healthy and get full. Believe me, I've tried.
The reason why MWL, works for me is because I can eat as much as I want, so I'm never hungry. It's extremely difficult to eat that way while traveling, and don't ask me to bring food with me! That's an added hassle that I don't want or need.
I hate to say this, but anything that knocks me off my carefully crafted MWL routine is a trigger. It's kind of hopeless to try to eat the way we do when the rest of the world subsists off fats, sugar, processed white food and bread.
I'm an: eat whatever's in front of me person, so I guess I'm just gonna have to accept that I'm gonna gain some weight while traveling.
Oh yeah, and then there's the booze factor...
Sometimes I'm just so frazzled that a glass of wine or a cocktail is the only thing that takes that edge off!
C'est la vie.:/

Belana - Welcome back...to the group and home from your wonderful sounding travels. How long will you be staying with your mom? Is everything okay with her? Eating MWL (or very close to it) is possible while travelling - I’ve seen some very success plant based experts do quite well. It definitely is much more difficult than being at home, so do your best. If you truly want to lose quickly, the small amount that you have gained back, analyze your most troublesome situations while travelling and consider working on them one at a time. Please do share here (meaning vent away), we all go through the same issues and sometimes it’s nice to here from someone willing to talk about their difficulties, just to know we are not the only one struggling. But also to share our experiences in similar situations. Did you meet Dr. Lisle during your travels? He is absolutely right about controlling your environment as a key to success. But, as you say, the amount of control in any given situation varies so we must adapt the best we can to those situations and create the best set of circumstances possible for that given situation. With planning, effort and a little luck, you will get through these next challenges. We’ve got your back!;-) :nod: :unibrow: :ninja: :smirk: :thumbsup:[/quote]
Belana

Postby amandamechele » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:37 am

Hi All!

Thanks so much for checking in! You all are rockin’ it this week...LOL!

Let’s go for a third simplicity post for the month; there certainly is ample expertise on the subject found throughout the pages of this website.

Here is how a very simple plan with HUGE disease reversals inspired and influenced the development of Dr. McDougall’s plan.

JeffN wrote:For those interested in "what works" and a historical legacy that influenced McDougall, Pritikin and many others, here it is.

Many may not be familiar with the legacy of Walter Kempner, who, in his attempts to try and stop the progression of kidney disease in his patients, came across a diet that not only helped with kidney disease but also had dramatic impact on CVD, DB, HTN and Obesity. It was extremely high in carb, focusing on one single carb, which was "white" rice with the addition of some fruits and vegetables. In content, it was very similar to the MWL program. This was the predecessor of todays "rice diet.".

From a biography on him...

Walter Kempner and the Rice Diet
FRANCIS A. NEELON AND BARBARA C. NEWBORG

[i]In 1944, Walter Kempner published the first of a remarkable series of papers showing that many of the lifestyle diseases could be arrested or reversed by proper modification of diet and exercise...
For the rest click the link below:
Two Little Known and Forgotten Legacies

For more information:
Walter Kempner, MD - Founder of the Rice Diet
Dr. Robert A Rosati - The Rice Diet Program

Enjoy the history lesson with a side of rice!
Have a great week and best wishes.

Amy

PS. The other forgotten legacy’s name is Dr. Lester Morrison, I was unfamiliar with him until I came across this post. It’s worth the read!

Here are the results for the third week in October:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, October 25th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 411.52 pounds
October 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Total group loss in October 2019: 19.4 pounds

Week ending 10/18/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 4.6 pounds
---------------------------------------
AnnetteW - 0.4
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 0.4
--------------------------------------
ShortnSweet - 1.5
Stillcrazy - 0.5
Sirdle - 1.1
Belana - 0.0
Squealcat - 1.2
Vegman - 0.7
Artista - 0.0
Deweyswakms - 0.0
Moonlight - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 5
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in October 2019: 19.4 pounds
Week ending 10/18/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 4.6 pounds
Week ending 10/11/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 13.3 pounds
Week ending 10/04/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of 1.5 pounds
amandamechele

Postby laurag » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi I am having trouble posting sometimes btw so I may seem MIA but I'm here and didn't post my weight it's about same and until I get somewhere with it I am at zero loss ! I just keep going up a pound of two then down I am working on calorie density I watched it again and this time it clicked so I am excited about that
laurag

Postby laurag » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Also that pumpkin soup sounds awesome, I made a soup out of crushed tomatoes celery carrots onions with cumin just put it in a pot and boiled it very easy
laurag

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:23 am

Oct 3 - 149.6

Oct 10 - 148.2 (loss of 1.4)

Oct 17 - 148.7 (gain of 0.4)

Oct 24 - 149.2 (gain of 0.5)

I don't have an excuse. I've eaten too much Halloween candy (enough to account for a weight gain, I'm sure) plus I'm sick, and I just eat more in general when my throat is sore and needs to be soothed. Still maintaining like a pro, lol. I tell myself each day to get a grip on things, and yesterday was good. Why can't I do it everyday? I guess I just will keep plugging on, things should change direction if I do the plan right.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:50 am

Hello everybody,

10/17/19 weight is 189.8
10/24/19 weight is 189.2
so a -.6 loss

I actually had a lower # this week, and I know if I keep doing what I am doing, I'll drop down again. It's my body, it seems to like to go back and forth a few days before settling down to a new weight.

Key for me is I just have to eat a lot more vegetables and potatoes. They fill me up, so I am not looking for something else to eat. I tried a new recipe this week, the Red Lentil sauce. It's good, tasty, and over potatoes I achieve satiety. I am craving vegetable soup, so will make that today, plus roast an acorn squash. I really like it with peas. I should get more creative and find a stuffing recipe for the squash. And I need more veggie burgers as those really do fill me up. Sure a lot of cooking eating this way!

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:54 am

AnnetteW wrote:I'm sure) plus I'm sick, and I just eat more in general when my throat is sore and needs to be soothed.

Sorry you are sick, it saps my determination and motivation. I had a virus a couple of weeks ago, lots of it going around. I don't get as sick as my non-plant eating friends though. I will get a small bag of Halloween candy, the day before! I don't want to even taste one, because I know one leads to many. Hope you feel better today.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:57 am

laurag wrote:Hi I am having trouble posting sometimes btw so I may seem MIA but I'm here and didn't post my weight it's about same and until I get somewhere with it I am at zero loss ! I just keep going up a pound of two then down I am working on calorie density I watched it again and this time it clicked so I am excited about that

I too finally 'get' the caloric density. For me, I have to eat a lot more legumes, potatoes and veggies to feel full and satisfied. I discovered I really like steamed or roasted carrots! Fortunately they aren't expensive. Good luck, you'll get it.
deweyswakms

Postby sirdle » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:13 am

Pretty steady this week. Stabilizing a new low.

A gain of 0.2 lbs this week.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby vegman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:23 am

Last Thursday: 160.5 (BMI 23.9)
Today: 159.8 (BMI 23.8)
Change: -0.7 pounds

Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)

Another recent new low. Back into the fifties.
vegman

Postby Shortnsweet » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 am

I'm down 0.9 this week for a new total weight loss of 21 pounds in 21-weeks! Yay!
Shortnsweet

Postby stillcrazy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:39 pm

I have a .7 loss this week.

Annette, so sorry you aren’t feeling well, I know I always go to food for comfort when I have a cold also can easily fall back into my “poor weak me, I have no will power” state. And Marsha, my body definitely does an up and down like yours before settling at a lower weight. Teases me with a lower number for a bit!

I am having colder weather and notice I want to eat more. I think I will do another potato mini for the next week. Potatoes really are the most satisfying for me. Vee.
stillcrazy

Postby moonlight » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm down 4 lbs. this week (169). I hope it stays there. I've had a cold and lost my appetite. I'm just not eating very much, mostly vegetable soup.
Good luck to everyone!
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program