Not losing weight - getting pretty desperate :(.

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Not losing weight - getting pretty desperate :(.

Postby wood » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:26 am

Hi everyone.

A brief summary of my journey: vegetarian for 30 years, vegan on and off. I went 100% WFPB 3 years ago. Dr McDougall's Weight Loss book helped tremendously. The change was easy and wonderful for our whole family. I lost 75lbs in 7 months, and I'm sure it was mostly due to the lack of oils in my new diet.

I kept the weight off (I still needed to lose another 15 or so) without much trouble for about a year... but then slowly strayed off track and started eating foods that weren't ideal. Nothing too junky, but quite a lot of processed crackers and hummus, etc. Home-baked cookies and muffins... some homemade cashew cheese... vegan chocolate... Never any animal products or oils.

I have struggled with eating disorders for the past 15 years, and that doesn't help (and never truly seems to go away).

I started gaining weight, and suddenly was back to feeling off and heavy and not well. I do water fasts 4 times a year, and that would help shed the weight, but then it would just come right back on. I ended up gaining about 20lbs.

I spent over a year feeling overweight and slightly fatigued, until I finally decided it was time for another change. I went 100% low-fat and sugar-free. My diet is now pretty "perfect", and has been for the past 2 months. I haven't had any chocolate or baked goods, and I don't even eat any processed foods anymore (except for occasionally some bread that has 3 ingredients). I felt amazing for the first month, and was SO happy and proud of myself for doing something that I thought was impossible for me. Until I realized that I wasn't losing any weight. None at all!

For the past couple of weeks I've felt pretty depressed. It's as if all my efforts are in vain. I can't seem to lose the extra weight no matter what I do. And I can't really eat any better (!!). I've even started exercising... and that doesn't seem to help either.

My husband says that maybe my body needs a boost. Maybe I need to do intense cardio to give it a kick-start or something. But all I want to do now is go back to eating processed foods and chocolate! And my eating disorder "habits" seem to be tempting my mind all the time. It feels really disheartening to work at something and not see any results.

Lately I've been wondering if the "eat all you want" theory just doesn't work for everyone. I know I don't over-eat. I eat until I'm full, and then I stop. But maybe my body only needs a very limited amount of calories? My husband and kids eat about 3 times what I do, and they are all slim and fit. And yet I can't shed my belly fat, no matter what I do.

If anybody has any insights on this, I would love to hear them. When my diet was just "ok", I thought I knew the solution and that I just wasn't working hard enough at it, but now that I am... I just don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks for reading!
wood

Re: Not losing weight - getting pretty desperate :(.

Postby MickeysBackyard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:10 am

Wood-

I'm new at this McDougall diet (starting today actually), but I just had to chime in. This struck me:

I felt amazing for the first month, and was SO happy and proud of myself for doing something that I thought was impossible for me. Until I realized that I wasn't losing any weight.It feels really disheartening to work at something and not see any results.

But you have! Feeling amazing and being proud of yourself mean so much more than a number on a scale. Imagine you didn't have a scale! You'd be super happy with your progress. Maybe stay away from weighing yourself for a while and stick to the plan. That's all that matters. The weight will come off, but obsessing about "how fast" and "by when" won't get you anywhere but back to where you were before.

Maybe I need to do intense cardio to give it a kick-start or something

Nope- I'd only do this if you honestly want to. I personally don't think your exercise should feel like punishment, you'll resent having to do it, then resent how you're eating after all that work you had to do, then you'll jump on the scale and see that it hasn't moved as much as you want, and then say "screw it" and reach for the vegan chocolate and start the cycle over again. And you'll feel like crap. Do you like walking? If so, slowly increase how much you walk. Same with any other exercise you *truly* enjoy. I couldn't kid myself that I actually wanted to go out for a walk. I tried for years to establish it as a habit, and still would dread going out to do it. So what did I do? I got a dog. I LOVE walking her and look forward to it everyday. I even got a basket for my bike so she can come with me. I'm eagerly awaiting cooler weather in FL so we can spend even more time outside. Find your dog ;)

My husband and kids eat about 3 times what I do, and they are all slim and fit. And yet I can't shed my belly fat, no matter what I do.

You know what I bet is different? They don't worry about it. Sure, maybe weight hasn't been an issue to them, just make it so it's not an issue for you. Also- you are not them. Stop comparing yourself to other people and just treat yourself kindly. After all, the kids wouldn't even exist if it weren't for you!! You're here and you're trying, so you have to believe this way of eating and exercise is how to get healthy. Stay on track. Eat McDougall foods until you are full, enjoy your exercise, and don't worry about how long it takes as long as you feel good and proud of yourself. Believe it and it'll work, but not everyone is programmed to just drop weight at the drop of a hat. Just think of it as an evolutionary advantage during hard times :)
MickeysBackyard

Postby Ejeff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:49 am

Very well said Mickeysbackyard! I think it would help many people to just get rid of the scale sometimes. As you say, if you focus on the clean eating and a bit of exercise you enjoy, the weight will come off. :)

Weight is just one measurement, but instead tracking something like eating x servings of veggies and fruits a day helps many people and it avoids feeling discouraged when the scale doesn’t drop. Or better yet don’t track anything and just keep eating the plan knowing you are giving your body everything it needs to be the best it can be.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby squealcat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:02 pm

I agree with both of you ! That scale is not your best buddy right now. Your goal is to stick to the plan, skip the scale for now and just notice how you feel and how healthy you are!

Good advice from Ejeff and Mickeysbackyard ! You both helped me and probably a lot of people too !
squealcat

Postby sirdle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:44 pm

wood wrote:For the past couple of weeks I've felt pretty depressed. It's as if all my efforts are in vain. I can't seem to lose the extra weight no matter what I do. And I can't really eat any better (!!). I've even started exercising... and that doesn't seem to help either.

You are almost there! Losing weight is a question of energy balance: calories IN versus calories OUT. You have overcome the toughest part: reigning in you eating to the point where you are not gaining any weight. The next step is just to tweak things a little bit. Review Jeff Novick's video on Calorie Density and check out his Free Calorie Density resources thread.

wood wrote:My husband says that maybe my body needs a boost. Maybe I need to do intense cardio to give it a kick-start or something. But all I want to do now is go back to eating processed foods and chocolate! And my eating disorder "habits" seem to be tempting my mind all the time. It feels really disheartening to work at something and not see any results.

You do not need a 'jump-start'. Just follow the principles of calorie density and you'll be there! However, if you are running up against eating disorders, then this might not be 'easy'. It is very simple, but never easy. In this case, you might want to check out the videos by Doug Lisle. Amy just posted a bunch of links in the MWL forum.

wood wrote:Lately I've been wondering if the "eat all you want" theory just doesn't work for everyone. I know I don't over-eat. I eat until I'm full, and then I stop. But maybe my body only needs a very limited amount of calories? My husband and kids eat about 3 times what I do, and they are all slim and fit. And yet I can't shed my belly fat, no matter what I do.

'Eat all you want' is often misunderstood. Check out Jeff Novick's thread Can You Really Eat as Much as You Want?

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program