September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby frowsyowl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 am

Starting weight: 205.4

Had a decent day yesterday, finally!
frowsyowl

Postby alishana » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:58 am

Thank you so much Amy for sharing The slow fast way video last week ! After a few weeks of eating badly, thanks to the video, I've been eating 100% clean for a week without even thinking about it. Before, it was like I had to eat this way, now it feels more like a nice game. And I manage to lose 6lbs :shock: I usually weight myself on the morning, on an empty stomach. Last week, I weighted myself in the middle of the day, so maybe this explain this shocking number.

How it works to upload pictures here ? I love seeing yours and think about sharing some myself !
alishana

Postby squealcat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Weigh in day:

8/29/19 weight was 193.6
9/5/19 was out of town
9/12/19 weight is 195.8 (+2.2)

My husband and I were out of town and my eating was not stellar by any means. I elected to not weigh myself in order to not derail completely. I bought all sorts of veggies and chopped them all up, cooked potatoes and have rice in the freezer. Plenty of bean soups in the freezer as well. I had four really good days this week, lost a lot of water weight and maybe other weight too so I figure I must have gained WAY more than that 2.2 pounds last week. Glad I jumped back on the wagon. Hope I can show a pounds lost next week.

Have a great week everyone !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby moonlight » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi Everyone,
I have lost 3 lb since last week. (It is 3lbs that I had gained from the week before but still I’m pleased!) I finally started feeling in the groove. I’m now at my mother’s for a few days. I’m hoping I don’t blow it!
Good luck to you all! We can do this if we don’t give up!!
moonlight

Postby amandamechele » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Annette - An adherent weekend must feel great, even if it didn’t lead to weight loss this week. Don’t worry about that number. Sometimes this weight loss journey is like travelling a really boring stretch of highway with nothing to see. You know where you’re going, so just keep driving.

Frosyowl - Hi and a late welcome to you! I’m thrilled to hear that you had a great day yesterday. I’m also thrilled that you followed through with your intention to do this. Sometimes people post that they want to join and then they don’t come back on weigh in day (I’m guilty of that a few times here, before I started facilitating). You did it! Best wishes this week. Are you all prepared?

Laura You’re welcome. Getting the food together is the KEY! That is where you may want to focus your big efforts in change. Do your best with getting food prepared ahead of time, so that when hunger or even just a hankering strikes you have something healthy to eat. XO Here is another great newsletter from Dr. McDougall that you may enjoy: Pushing your Set Point to the Limits: The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss.

Vegman - How wonderful. You are doing very well. Thanks for checking in.

Alishana - I’m glad you found it helpful. Dr. Lisle’s videos are here to get us mentally prepared for what we are up against in order to be as ready as possible for tough decisions and temptations.
amandamechele wrote:Alishana - Here is a description of how I upload photos from an earlier response to someone else. You would first need to set up a free Flickr account:
amandamechele wrote:
Talita - Woo hoo! Congratulations on getting back to your goal. I know you can maintain it...keep doing your best, one day at a time. With regards to posting pictures, I use Flickr.com, like Sue. Upload your photo, change privacy to public, go into photo stream tab, select photo you want and click on it. It will open and have a black background behind it. In the bottom right corner of that page there are 4 choices for editing, sizing, etc. Click on the downward pointing arrow over the line and select a size (I tend to choose medium). It will open your photo onto another page with a white background. Copy the url of this page and post it in between the following BB code [img]pastelinkhere[/img]. There is possibly an easier way to do this, but this worked so I never explored any further. LOL. With regards to smoothies, Landog is correct, they are not recommended. Jeff Novick explains why in this thread: Fruit Smoothies. But I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't drink them here, just pointing you to the explanation behind the

Amy

Marilyn - It can be difficult while away, I’m glad you jumped right back into it as soon as you got home. With all the great food just waiting to be eaten you have a great chance to do well this week. Best wishes. :)

Moonlight - I agree, and let’s say it again: We can do this if we don’t give up! I am with you sister. If you can, try really hard to stay on plan at your mom’s. It will help you set a new precedent for how you behave while visiting her. It’s always toughest at first, or the first time, you change a pattern, and it has to be done in every single situation we find ourselves in. Thankfully most of us are creatures of habit and visit the same people, goto the same places and hang out at the same places over and over again. That will limit the number of truly novel situations that you have to change. But it paves the way for that new behaviour to become reinforced the next time you are in it. All the best my friend. Keep many many baby baked potatoes around and just stuff one in your mouth every time you get offered something else...LOL.

My dinner tonight was lovely and simple: Boiled green beans and a big old russet with homemade hummus and pico de Gallo. So simple and so tasty!
amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:29 am

And I step on the scale this morning and it's 2.6 lbs lighter (yes, you read that right). Down to 149. My my my :D
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:05 am

Aug 29, 2019: 193.4
Sept 5, 2019: 192.8
Sept 13, 2019: 192.0

Yay, spent 6 days at 192.8, so last two days I backed away from so many sweet potatoes. Now I see that my 1st goal of getting to 190 is possible. I love this way of eating.

Happy Friday.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:34 am

Good morning.
0.8 pound loss this week.
Heading out for 4-day girls weekend.
See ya next week!
Shortnsweet

Postby stillcrazy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:43 am

Good news from me, too.

Last week: 232.7
This week: 231.4
Loss: 1.3

Seemed like a harder week for me with lots of temptation. Some free fish, a new Wendy’s down the street, invitation to eat out. I think I do better with structure so I am going for another ten day potato Mary’s Mini. I did well on my last one, a shorter one because of my trip, so I am up for another. I like potatoes and I like that I can have some variation in how I fix them, but I also like knowing that my meal is simply going to be potatoes, vegetable, salad. Also, I am going to do my weigh-in on Thursday morning instead of Friday, I know that works better for you Amy. But it was great to come here this morning, among the last to check-in, and read your successes everyone. Very motivating! Vee
stillcrazy

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:48 am

amandamechele wrote:Moonlight - I agree, and let’s say it again: We can do this if we don’t give up! I am with you sister. If you can, try really hard to stay on plan at your mom’s. It will help you set a new precedent for how you behave while visiting her. It’s always toughest at first, or the first time, you change a pattern, and it has to be done in every single situation we find ourselves in. Thankfully most of us are creatures of habit and visit the same people, goto the same places and hang out at the same places over and over again. That will limit the number of truly novel situations that you have to change. But it paves the way for that new behaviour to become reinforced the next time you are in it. All the best my friend. Keep many many baby baked potatoes around and just stuff one in your mouth every time you get offered something else...LOL.

This is great advice! Thanks, Amy. :)
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 am

Loss of 1.3 lbs this week. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 am

amandamechele wrote:
Frosyowl - Hi and a late welcome to you! I’m thrilled to hear that you had a great day yesterday. I’m also thrilled that you followed through with your intention to do this. Sometimes people post that they want to join and then they don’t come back on weigh in day (I’m guilty of that a few times here, before I started facilitating). You did it! Best wishes this week. Are you all prepared?

Thanks Amy! I'm quite surprised that I've followed through and gained a foothold these last few days. I gave myself quite a long lead-in time--seems to have worked! I'm pretty prepared, going grocery shopping this evening. Have been fairly compliant with foods, just letting the "extras" fall away.
frowsyowl

Postby laurag » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:40 pm

No loss this week, I did celebrate the fact that I am not gaining weight and I am healthy from eating the right food so no matter what I love eating this way and this is a good place to start! If I wasn't doing this I was having high blood pressure and my cholesterol was not normal. Now all is normal. Thanks for pointers to newsletter :) I always feel ready to do this and keep trying to keep at it with the info you give me! Group is doing so well good job everyone! Lots of positive energy
laurag

Postby Rosey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Still 281lbs no change.
Rosey

Postby amandamechele » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi All!

Thanks you for checking in this week. As Laura said; good job everyone - lots of positive energy! Congratulations on your efforts. :)
I thought that since many of you are starting to sound like old-pros at the MWL guidelines, you may want to consider taking a deep dive into all of the potential bumps on the road that you may face psychologically. This is especially relevant for serial and yo-yo dieters; those of us who just aren’t able to get this done all in one shot. So instead of feeding you the odd link that I’ve posted in response to a comment, I thought I’d just post a whole list of Dr. Lisle’s lectures, from this website and his own website Esteem Dynamics for you to peruse. He has done many many other fantastic interviews, so if you think this isn’t comprehensive enough, please goto YouTube and do a search (such as “Doug Lisle and Healthy Living Live”). Additionally, he is the feature on a weekly podcast called Beat Your Genes that touches on pleasure trap/ego trap dilemmas but more-so on navigating life’s issues in other domains as understood through the lens of evolutionary psychology.
So here it is:
From the McDougall Website:
McDougall Webinar: The Slow Fast Way, 01-14-16
McDougall Webinar: Stepping Stones to Self Esteem, 02-11-16
McDougall Webinar: Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind, 03-10-16
McDougall Webinar: Dare to Be Lousy, 04-14-16
McDougall Webinar: Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, Weight Loss Part 1, 05-12-16
McDougall Webinar: Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, Weight Loss Part 2, 06-23-16
McDougall Webinar: Discusses Friends and Family, 07-14-16
McDougall Webinar: Anxiety and Panic Attacks, 09-08-16
McDougall Webinar: Anxiety and Panic Attacks: Q & A, 10-13-16
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answer, 11-17-16
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answer, 12-08-16
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answer, 12-15-16
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answer, 02-09-17
McDougall Webinar: The Perfect Personality, 03-09-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Wide-Ranging Topics, 04-13-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 05-11-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 06-08-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 08-10-17
McDougall Webinar: The Cram Circuit, 09-14-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 10-12-17
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 10-19-17
McDougall Webinar: The Secrets to Positive Change, 02-26-18
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 03-19-18
McDougall Webinar: Dr. Lisle Questions and Answers, 04-24-18
McDougall Webinar: The Story of Willpower: What it is and How it Works, 08-28-18

From the Esteem Dynamics Website:
The Continuum of Evil
Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind
Questions and Answers
The Perfect Personality
The Path of Least Resistance**
The Pleasure Trap
Getting Along Without Going Along
Success Forces
**(I’m trying to create that path for you all right here, by making it as easy as possible for you to just click and watch these links...LOL. These lectures really are helpful and I hope some of you will PUSH THE LINK! Ha!)

I have a feeling every single question that you can think of has been covered somewhere in those many, many question and answer periods.

Happy viewing this week!

Amy XO

PS. If you want to switch it up a bit, here’s a webinar from Dr. Lim: “The Secret” to Weight Loss. Spoiler Alert: You already know it!!

Here are the results for the second week in September:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 20th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 390.22 pounds
September 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds