September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Mistyraider » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Thank you for the welcome Marsha. This is my first weigh in so I would be starting at 0 i believe. Hope to lose weight by next Thursday.
Mistyraider

Postby amandamechele » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:02 pm

ShortnSweet - Holiday weekends are tough. So, this Labour day weekend didn’t go well, but next year’s can with a little reflection on where to improve. I’m glad you made enough good choices to keep your weight stable. Behind the frustration you may be feeling a little bit like this:
I don’t like that feeling at all. Your exercise level is great and your dedication to being accountable is too. It just comes down to the food here. It takes really sticking with the guidelines to have faster weight loss. I think you are doing great and if you want to try for a faster rate of loss you know what to do. However, remember, you are losing right now doing just what you are doing and that is not so bad. I do believe next week will be better; make good choices where you can and try to avoid tempting situations. Anecdotally, I find day 6-7 of my cycle to be my lowest weight of the month during weight stable months, so here’s hopin’. All that said, congrats on the non-scale victories - I love it when clothes start to hang just a bit better.

Sirdle - Your poor mom...LOL... what is it with young boys? I say that, but I was no better. And thanks (sarcasm), that Moving Day song really was good for a tear or two...LOL....but also very beautiful.

MistyRaider - Welcome! I’m so glad that you are joining us for some accountability. This is a great way to eat and I’m happy you know the basics and just want to jump back in. It’s great that cleaning up your diet resulted in better fertility and a pregnancy! May I ask, how many children do you have? Are he/she/they very young? Best wishes this week and please feel free to ask questions, or just join into/start conversations. We all love just visiting and chatting throughout the week.

Marsha - Whoa, you’ve totally got this! Good answer. Congratulations on having great non-goals...LOL.

Vegman - Congratulations on your continued losses and your excellent compliance.

Annette - That’s a good attitude to have. Patience and persistence will show you the way. XO.

Laura - You’ve discovered the secret ! LOL. Keep up the great diligence.

Here’s a little something from the McDougall Newsletter Archives that I thought some of you may like to read:
Overcoming the Four Greatest Obstacles to Following the McDougall Diet
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:02 am

I was sad to learn the scales are not my friend today. :( I guess it is good to know that I've regained 3 lbs.(175 today) It will make me stay focused. I've changed my approach in the last week because I kept going off the program and eating non-compliant food. I guess it was more than I realized.... My new approach is to focus on only two goals: eat only MWL food and get in daily exercise. For now I won't worry about eating only at meals, not grazing all evening, or if I'm getting in a salad or soup or enough vegetables. Hopefully, all of that will level out.

Cheers to all checking in here! This is a great forum for accountability and inspiration. Thank you, Amy, for all your kind messages and links to great lectures and newsletters. I read the newsletter from your link. It made me realize I am doing okay because at least I haven't quit and I haven't regained all the weight I've lost over the last 20 months. :D
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 am

No loss :( or gain :) this week.

Which I expected, after last week's unexpected loss. Ah, the ebb and flow of the scales. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby stillcrazy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:05 am

I really hate messing with the weight loss totals for the group in the wrong way; i have a gain to report but I am not really unhappy about it because it could have been a lot worse. I went from my 7 day Mary’s mini with potatoes to vacationing and travelling with my brother. I totally gave in to cravings once during the trip and purchased cheese and chocolate, lots, for “snacks.” But once in 10 days is really good for me and Doing the mini kept me strongly focused on what my goals were. Outside of binge day, I made it fun to look for the healthiest food I could find for each meal and although it definitely wasn’t McDougall, it leaned way over in that direction!

I am back in my own kitchen and committed. I missed last week’s weigh in entirely but two weeks ago I was at 231.8 and this morning I am 232:7 so that is a gain of .9 lbs. Not sure how that counts since it is a two week thing, but you will know Amy.

I hope we all have a great week!

Vee
stillcrazy

Postby anelson108 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Weigh-in today: Fri., September 6, 2019: 185.2
Last weigh-in: Fri., August 2, 2019: 187.2
Results: 2 pound loss
Total pound loss (since joining MWL): 17.4
Goal weight: 150 pounds (5' 6" height)
Remaining weight: 35.2 pounds
anelson108

Postby amandamechele » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:33 am

Hi Everyone!

It was so nice to sit down and read everyone’s messages this week. I’m happy that so many of you have decided to continue checking in.

I want to take another look at this urgency we can sometimes feel as we work towards our weight loss goals. I re-watched one of Dr. Lisle’s lectures called The Slow Fast Way this week after going through August’s posts and feeling a bit of some of your frustration, and my own, with wanting to speed up my weight loss progress.
It is a great lecture that explains how self-destructive procrastination can be the result of trying to avoid looking bad in front of others (or even just ourselves) when we are not sure if we can reach a goal. Dr. Lisle calls it the Ego Trap: Self destruction by way of esteem defence.
The best way to combat this type of procrastination is to practice what he calls Tortoise Myopia, referring to the fable The Tortoise and the Hare. Try to focus on the process involved in losing weight, not the goal weight itself; meaning it’s important to try and take this journey one step at a time, without looking too far into the future.
His specific recommendations include taking this slow and being methodical (with specific mention of a 1 pound a week loss being the most realistic), focus on one meal at a time, not setting a timeline for your weight loss, being pleased with very good adherence at 80% or higher and to continue to learn as you progress.
If you want more, such as cute drawings, guano rings and learning who Harry Steinway is, I recommend watching this the next time you settle in to chop your veggies and do other food prep. It’s about 40 minutes or so; just enough time to bake some potatoes.
The Slow Fast Way: The Steady Path to Your Goals for the New Year
Title: The Steady Path To Your Goals for the New Year
Description: Why do our best I intentions for positive change often seem to drift away? Is there something that stops our enthusiasm and momentum when we consider a new worthwhile goal? Dr. Doug Lisle, the psychologist for The McDougall Wellness Program has unique insights into why this happens, and exactly what you need to know, and to do, to keep yourself moving forward. These tools are the central keys to the building and strengthening of your success forces and your self-esteem. Don’t miss this special webinar presentation of ‘The Slow Fast Way’.
Host: Moderator: Gustavo Tolosa, DMA,
Presenter: Douglas J. Lisle, Ph.D
Recorded: January 14, 2016

I wish you all a lovely and adherent week.

Amy XO

PS. If you are in need of a quick refresh of your palette or your spirit consider an impromptu weekend away at next week’s McDougall 3-Day Intensive Program. Dr. Dean Ornish is the Keynote speaker. It’s bound to be a fun, informative and delectable weekend!

Here are the results for the first week in September:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 13th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 372.62 pounds
September 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: -0.2 pounds

Week ending 09/06/2019: 12 participants reported a total loss of -0.2 pounds
---------------------------------------
AnnetteW - 0.8
Moonlight - 3.0
Stillcrazy - 0.9
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 4.7
--------------------------------------
Deweyswakms - 0.6
Vegman - 0.9
Laurag - 1.0
ShortnSweet - 0.0
MistyRaider - 0.0
Sirdle - 0.0
Anelson108 - 2.0
Rosey - 0.0
Michele613 - Riding the rails!
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 4.5
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in September 2019: -0.2 pounds
Week ending 09/06/2019: 12 participants reported a total loss of -0.2 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby Rosey » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:01 am

Hugs. Sorry I haven't checked in. No weight change any direction since last I weighed in.
Rosey

Postby Michele613 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:58 am

Good luck to everyone this week...school's in, vacation time dwindling, holiday over and hopefully everyone can get back on track. Yeah...speaking to myself too. Not quite back on track....just riding the rails for now. :D
Michele613

Postby amandamechele » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:51 pm

Moonlight - Sorry about the gain, but I am so glad you are taking it in stride and continuing to seek the right mix of strategies. You HAVE maintained a loss for 20 months. That is against the odds and I want to acknowledge that because I want you to remember that not many people who struggle with their weight have done that. I’m so glad you continue to check in and work through this. Keep aiming for one of Dr. Lisle’s deep grooves. XO

Sirdle - You’ll turn the tide this week I’m sure. :) Have a good one.

Vee - I know how you feel, and hope that you know I mean it when I say please never worry about weighing in with a gain here. I’m glad you were able to keep it to a one day indulgence, just for your own peace of mind. I did kitchen prep today and am ready for the week. It makes all the difference for staying on plan. Having prepared MWL meals sitting there, waiting to be eaten , keeps me on track more often than not. I know it will help you too.
Here are some pictures, because I’m always taking them and love to share! LOL
(As you see, lots of good stuff for me in the fridge and just a few things that don’t tempt me for everyone else)

Angela - I’m not sure if you check in often enough to see this message, but: Congratulations! You’ve been doing a steady job at checking in monthly and have been consistently losing. I’m so happy for you. :)

Connie - No worries, I’m glad you stopped by to check in.

Michele - Same as above! XO. Keep working at it, we’re rooting for you.

I want to wish everyone a lovely week! I’ll catch up with you all on Thursday.

amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:54 am

I'm hoping for a good week myself. I didn't overindulge this past weekend, weight isn't budging though, I'm so stable it's sickening right now. I keep looking at it as a positive thing though, my body is maintaining well without trying. I will need to learn that skill at some point anyway.

I do better during the week. I just would like to see a pound or two drop.

Best wishes to all.
AnnetteW

Postby frowsyowl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

Hi All,

Please count me for the next weigh-in. Starting to feel ready again.
frowsyowl

Postby laurag » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:42 pm

amandamechele wrote:ShortnSweet - Holiday weekends are tough. So, this Labour day weekend didn’t go well, but next year’s can with a little reflection on where to improve. I’m glad you made enough good choices to keep your weight stable. Behind the frustration you may be feeling a little bit like this:
I don’t like that feeling at all. Your exercise level is great and your dedication to being accountable is too. It just comes down to the food here. It takes really sticking with the guidelines to have faster weight loss. I think you are doing great and if you want to try for a faster rate of loss you know what to do. However, remember, you are losing right now doing just what you are doing and that is not so bad. I do believe next week will be better; make good choices where you can and try to avoid tempting situations. Anecdotally, I find day 6-7 of my cycle to be my lowest weight of the month during weight stable months, so here’s hopin’. All that said, congrats on the non-scale victories - I love it when clothes start to hang just a bit better.

Sirdle - Your poor mom...LOL... what is it with young boys? I say that, but I was no better. And thanks (sarcasm), that Moving Day song really was good for a tear or two...LOL....but also very beautiful.

MistyRaider - Welcome! I’m so glad that you are joining us for some accountability. This is a great way to eat and I’m happy you know the basics and just want to jump back in. It’s great that cleaning up your diet resulted in better fertility and a pregnancy! May I ask, how many children do you have? Are he/she/they very young? Best wishes this week and please feel free to ask questions, or just join into/start conversations. We all love just visiting and chatting throughout the week.

Marsha - Whoa, you’ve totally got this! Good answer. Congratulations on having great non-goals...LOL.

Vegman - Congratulations on your continued losses and your excellent compliance.

Annette - That’s a good attitude to have. Patience and persistence will show you the way. XO.

Laura - You’ve discovered the secret ! LOL. Keep up the great diligence.

Here’s a little something from the McDougall Newsletter Archives that I thought some of you may like to read:
Overcoming the Four Greatest Obstacles to Following the McDougall Diet

Thanks for the newsletter recommendation I really feel like it helped me understand if want to lose the weight I have to change. Because I am doing good and my body is happy to stay here ! I have other plans and that really is possible with adding the exercise and getting the food thing ❤together
laurag

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:00 am

I'm just posting and not thinking about it:

Aug 29 - Wt. 149.8
Sept 5 - Wt. 150.6 (gain 0.8 )
Sept 13 - Wt. 149 (loss 1.6)
Last edited by AnnetteW on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteW

Postby vegman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:56 am

Last Thursday: 162.0 (BMI 24.1)
Today: 161.6 (BMI 24.0)
Change: -0.4 pounds

Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)

Third consecutive weekly loss, but each is smaller than the last.

With cooler weather, not many salads in recent weeks, and more cooked frozen fruit than raw fresh fruit. Doesn't seem detrimental.
vegman

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program