September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby GlennR » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Marilyn, I wish your husband a speedy recovery. Don't forget to look after yourself as that will keep you in the best possible place to help your husband with his recovery.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby sirdle » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:11 pm

I am so sorry to hear that, Marilyn!

I agree with Glenn, be sure to get some rest and look after yourself!

Hoping for a quick recovery for your husband.
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Annette - I hope that I didn’t ruin your weight loss this week by adding your Friday number to the tally. You just seemed so excited that I wanted to acknowledge it. :)

Sirdle - LOL! I will gladly cook for you one day my friend. If you and your wife ever come out this way I insist you come by for dinner...even a whole week of them. I love your non-scale victory! I also love hearing how this weight loss is making you feel because that is what we are all aiming for and it’s so nice to celebrate someone getting there. That’s too cool. I have that same goal because I’ve always wanted to be able to wear funky rock band t-shirts and jeans and have it actually look good. I feel inspired by your success!

Frowsyowl - It happens. Good job picking yourself right back up. I will admit, I don’t go much past this thread lately, but I will check out your journal next time I wander out that way on the forums. LOL. Hooray for freedom from ice cream attacks!

ShortnSweet - Yay! Weight loss after a girl’s weekend; I didn’t think that the laws of physics allowed that kind of thing! Ha. Congrats on staying true to your goal and not ending up back in the pleasure trap. That is a big deal.

Vee - I’m glad to hear your Mary’s Mini went well. It is a great short term weight loss pick-me-up. Enjoy the wonderful new variety you are reintroducing into your life. Geo’s journal’s are fabulous. Here are some more links from a previous post that I did:
amandamechele wrote:Chris - Thanks Chris, I will try driving to a busier trail this week, it is a great suggestion. I'm glad you're still at it, trying to work through the issue that is troubling you. Geo is a great example of success in eating a MWL pattern over a longer term. Here are the links for anyone else interested in taking a look at his progress:

Geo's Star McDougaller story: George Sanders: Freeing Myself of Metabolic Syndrome
From the testimonial and success section of the forum: Metabolic Effects of a Starch Based Diet
His Online Journals: (They are highly detailed, very organized and very informative!):
Geo - Eyes Wide Open 2012
Geo - 2017
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling

There may be more threads or journals that I'm not aware of.

Vegman - Wonderful consistency with staying adherent to your goal and the plan. Ups and downs are normal, especially when you are so close to your goal. :)

Marilyn - Oh Marilyn, I’m so sorry. What a stressful past 48 hours it has been. I, first, want to send you my love and thoughts from across the country. The worry you must be feeling for your husband right now must be overwhelming. Too much temptation and too high a cognitive load can ruin the best of intentions. Combine that with an active cram circuit and voila: a bunch of nighttime eating when you can finally start thinking through the day in your quiet and comfortable home. Don’t give it any extra thought right now, you don’t have the mental room. Keep making the good choices that come easily; just that simple! Please don’t be apologetic to us, we all understand and support you. I’ll put you in as a 0 in the tally this week. XO. Please keep us posted on how he is doing and if he gets to come home tomorrow.

Glenn - :)
amandamechele

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 am

squealcat wrote:Sorry, I don't have a weigh in weight for today. My husband had a heart attack yesterday and is in the hospital right now.

-squealcat (Marilyn)

Oh dear, blessings on you and your husband. #s can wait. I will be thinking of you. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:37 am

Good morning,

had a long day in the dentist's chair yesterday, ouch and $1000 poorer. Soft foods are my choice right now. Anyway, I snuck into the 191 # which is awesome. Don't even remember how many years ago I was at this #. Small loss this week, but it's still a loss! :cool:

Aug 29, 2019: 193.4
Sept 5, 2019: 192.8
Sept 13, 2019: 192.0
Sept 20, 2019: 191.8 <-.2#>
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:06 am

Oh well...right back where I started. This 149 number is going to be the death of me. All I can say is that it better be in the 148's for next week's end of the month weigh in, or I'm chopping off a limb...ok, not really. It's just popping up and down right now, but I know changes are happening, I can feel them, the fat is getting squishy, the muscles are definitely feeling hard and lean (and yes, I can feel them). I'm getting a lot of muscle work in (not so much cardio, I should add that in but my knees are hurting). People are really starting to comment.

Aug 29 - Wt. 149.8
Sept 5 - Wt. 150.6 (gain 0.8 )
Sept 13 - Wt. 149 (loss 1.6)
Sept 19 - Wt. 149.8 (gain 0.8 )
Last edited by AnnetteW on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:17 am

Good morning! I look forward each week to seeing how everyone did the week before. I love this group! I have to report a gain of 1 lb. this week (173). :\ I guess my off-plan eating was just too much... Onward!! I'm slowly getting back into an exercise mindset and I don't have any trips planned. Annette, you made me laugh with the cutting off a limb thought. It's tempting!! But I don't think it would be worth the limb. I'll take the slower weight loss method!
Good luck, everyone! Michele, if you are out there on the fringes, please jump back in with us! :-P Amy, thank you for all your hard work toward helping us stay motivated. It is very much appreciated. :D
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:58 am

A loss of 0.4 lbs this week. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Rosey » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:38 am

Down this week woot I moved off of 281 to 279.8 lbs for 1.2 lbs loss.
Rosey

Postby laurag » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:24 am

No loss this week, I went for walk this morning I am working on not overeating today and of course changing my behavior of little bit of cheating. Hi everyone have a good week, oh and I'm not doing scale everyday just next week
laurag

Postby amandamechele » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to everyone who checked in. I appreciate you and your kind words of encouragement to each other. Marilyn, I hope things are going as well as can be expected for your husband, we are all rooting for as best an outcome as possible for him. You will be an excellent resource and support in his recovery. Remember to take good care of yourself through all of this.

I wanted to share a bit about my day today, as it didn’t go so well and it all began with stepping onto the scale...
After what I considered a very VERY successful week - all MWL foods, though not staying within the suggested fruit guidelines or doing the more restricted version of a 50/50 plate - I was up 0.8 pounds. :(
I have only just started to weigh myself again as of last week and I told myself before I stepped on the scale it didn’t matter what it read, that I had done well this week. But saying these things to myself never really has any effect when my expectations are violated. I expected to lose weight. I felt like I deserved to lose weight. I felt like it was something I had earned.
When I got off the scale I continued to rationalize, I told myself it didn’t matter, it’s just some random fluctuation due to some of the many things we talk about here that can affect any given instance of measurement. All of that is actually true, but, the feelings of disappointment slithered in anyway and took up residence in my brain.
Around mid-morning I decided to go to the cafeteria and fill up my thermos with hot water. I typically walk in the back way through the cashier stations because the hot drink service is right beside them and I can avoid having to go through the rows of pastries made by the local culinary school, the hot food bar and breakfast buffet which has proven to be a place of temptation and downfall in the past.
For unknown reasons, nothing to do with having a bad weigh-in (right?! LOL), I decided to go through the front entrance today. I stopped to squeeze the buns to see if they were fresh, admire the danishes and other pastries, peer at the breakfast buffet and smell all of the soups and curries ready and waiting to be eaten.
I had just wanted to fill up my thermos with hot water, I told myself, but deep down even I didn’t believe that. With a solid month of following the guidelines very closely I haven’t been feeling any unmanageable cravings lately. They still visit me, but they are weak and I am usually able to just close the door on those thoughts and move on.
Today, however, feeling a bit peckish while exposing myself to a multitude of temptations turned into feelings of longing. I don’t want to call them cravings, I had battled down that extinction curve this month. I could have still said no, there was no feeling of compulsion behind my choices this morning, like there is with an active Cram circuit going. This was merely an impulsive decision influenced by a feeling of disappointment. It led to a second impulsive decision to purchase lunch while I was in there and as you may all have guessed there were no MWL adherent prepared meals available. I ordered a fruit cup, a minestrone soup and a couple of whole wheat dinner rolls. With palpable cognitive dissonance, I went and paid for my meal. Then I ate it.
Normally, when I string together enough of these impulsive decisions they turn on the compulsive aspect of my overeating. I have a name for this (and it’s not a gentle one, so please forgive me if it is offensive - I will remove it upon request). I have always called it my Ah F*@K It Tendency. I once heard Heather Goodwin of The Butterfly Effect refer to it as the What the Heck Effect. This is that feeling you get after eating a couple of off-plan foods and you decide to pack it in for the day, week or month. May as well just eat all of the foods and start fresh tomorrow.
That became my battle today. Was I going to let my disappointment-led single poor decision turn into a whole day, or longer, of getting off track and digging myself into another pleasure (and pain) stimulating hole?
No!
As suggested in the linked article above - and something we are always trying to do here - is practice self-compassion. Be kind to yourself! Try not to let a single mistake, or a whole bunch of them, derail your intentions for healthy eating. Also try to treat yourself as you would others. When someone comes into this forum and is struggling to follow the plan we rally around them, we don’t criticize them; this is something you can try to do with yourself too. Additionally, by building in a little wiggle room with regard to your adherence level, you are much less likely to succumb to the What the Heck Effect. So, understand that a slip up here or there is not the end of the world. Find your Sweet Spot as Jeff may say. :)

Though we are all here for the single purpose of losing weight using what we have decided to be the healthiest dietary pattern, the differences between us will lead to many alternative ways of reaching those goals. I want everyone to know that you don’t have to be following the plan in exactly the same way as someone else may be to belong here. Aim for very good adherence and see where the chips fall. We are a community of people who recognize and are appreciative of the lessons that Dr. McDougall and his team are sharing. This whole online forum has a variety of areas to appeal to any number of different personalities and application styles. Find which area fits you best (and that can change over time) and hang out there. Do your best to attempt to connect with someone eating this way on a personal level. This will also help keep you involved through times of hardship or waning motivation.

I am going to do my darndest not to let today’s set back become a large one, or a long one. For some of us putting on weight is vastly easier than taking it off....and taking it off is hard for almost everyone. So do your best not to let a small slip turn into a long one.

Very best wishes to you all this week.

Amy XO

Here are the results for the third week in September:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 27th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 391.92 pounds
September 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds

Week ending 09/20/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 1.7 pounds
---------------------------------------
Frowsyowl - 0.6
Vegman - 1.8
Moonlight - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 3.4
--------------------------------------
ShortnSweet - 0.3
Stillcrazy - 2.2
Squealcat - 0.0
Deweyswakms - 0.2
AnnetteW - 0.8
Sirdle - 0.4
Laurag - 0.0
Rosey - 1.2
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 5.1
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Week ending 09/13/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 1.7 pounds
Week ending 09/13/2019: 12 participants reported a total loss of 17.8 pounds
Week ending 09/06/2019: 12 participants reported a total loss of -0.2 pounds
amandamechele

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:40 am

[quote="amandamechele"]

Amy, I appreciated your post. Yes, we all cave in for whatever reasons. I know what triggers me and try to watch out for those things. But it does happen. Food is where many of us go to for comfort. I deliberately let myself have a soft-serve ice cream cone (200 calories!) after the marathon dental appointment Thursday. I used it as a reward. It's how I got through the 3 hour ordeal. Wish I were better than that, but oh well, I'm not and I'm not going to be all 'critical judgy' about myself. Each day is a new opportunity to set healthy intentions and change our behaviors.

I appreciate everybody here and learn a lot. I have been plant-based for years, but wasn't losing more weight until I committed to the MWL guidelines. It works, slowly OK for my old body, but it works. And the foods taste so good to me, I look forward to them.

Thanks for what you do. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:42 am

AnnetteW wrote:Oh well...right back where I started. This 149 number is going to be the death of me. All I can say is that it better be in the 148's for next week's end of the month weigh in, or I'm chopping off a limb...ok, not really. It's just popping up and down right now, but I know changes are happening, I can feel them, the fat is getting squishy, the muscles are definitely feeling hard and lean (and yes, I can feel them). I'm getting a lot of muscle work in (not so much cardio, I should add that in but my knees are hurting). People are really starting to comment.

Aug 29 - Wt. 149.8
Sept 5 - Wt. 150.6 (gain 0.8 )
Sept 13 - Wt. 149 (loss 1.6)
Sept 19 - Wt. 149.8 (gain 0.8 )

I applaud your muscle work!! I want to do that, so why am I not? hmmm...
deweyswakms

Postby vegman » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:02 pm

Marilyn, best wishes for your husband's health.
vegman

Postby laurag » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:32 pm

Dr Lisles videos have been amazing for me thank u for putting list up thank u for sharing your story Amy it's nice to hear other people struggle and come back a positive msg for sure to love ourselves! Not to judge ourselves
laurag

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program