September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:21 pm

Welcome to the September Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!

September is here. I have been dreading the first day of the month because it’s the day that my oldest child is leaving the nest. :shock: It is residence move-in day at his school and this will forever be remembered by us as the first day of the rest of his life. Yep, we are a bit of a dramatic family...LOL.
He’s all packed....and so am I: with chopped veggies, baked potatoes and a couple of pieces of fruit. I have planned ahead and do not intend to get celebratory in my food choices at his good-luck brunch.
Since today is so busy (it currently being August 31st, as I type this), I am re-posting a previous Welcome post as the thread starter for September. I like this post because it is a great reminder that weight loss is more like riding a wave than driving a speed boat; it’s important to focus on what we actually have control over. As Dr. McDougall points out: It’s the food!

amandamechele wrote:
Many of you may be familiar with the phrase: Weight loss is a journey, not a destination. This sentiment has always confused me a little bit because the notion of a destination is built right into the definition of journey (and visa versa), but the intended meaning is good and attempts to point out the flaw in how we typically think about losing weight as an outcome versus a process.

Though imperfect, I consider the analogy of weight loss over time to a journey a good one because each stage just seems to fit. When I have previously decided to lose some weight, I typically choose a starting day and a destination. I have a plan detailing how to get to that destination. I've made preparations. There is excitement about the experience and a little trepidation (sometimes). I envision my weight going from point A to point B. I set a pace, an end date and hope to move onto something new after it is all done.

My weight-loss itinerary could be:

Starting Date: August 1st 2018
Goal: Lose 30 pounds
Plan: Follow McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines
Prep: Fri: Make list and grocery shop. Bake some potatoes.
Sat: Chop all fruits and vegetables and store in reusable containers
Sun: Make 3 stews/soups/chilis (or however many you need for the week)
Mon: Bake more potatoes. Make rice in the rice cooker.
Tues: Smile and begin feeling great!
Weekly Goal: 2 pounds per week
End Date: December 2018
Post Diet Plan: - (typically) A relaxed version of whatever we did to lose weight

:eek: Eeek, so many problems with what I've listed above! LOL. After the prep section, I feel the analogy loses its comparative value in two distinct ways and can cause erroneous thinking on our part. The first is that we think we can control the pace of our weight-loss progress more than we can. We're not built as simply as planes, trains or automobiles, or with the perfect environment to operate within, thus there will be some bumps along the way. It can be a bad idea to set a weekly weight-loss amount goal or a timeframe within which to lose all of the weight. Not meeting these goals can be highly demotivating and they aren't something that you have control over. The second problem occurs as we approach point B, the supposed end of the journey. The destination: your desired weight. Some of you here are nearing this point in time (many of us aren't yet, and that's cool too, we will be one day). The metaphor I used above tries to point out this error through some linguistic gymnastics. It's just a way to say: be aware that the good habits you develop in order to lose weight will continue to be necessary to maintain it. So it is very important to make your post-diet plan to keep doing what you did in order to lose the weight in the first place. As Confucius and Jeff Novick have said:
Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.

Alright, it is time to begin! Best wishes this week on your journey. :P (See the instructions below on how to participate)
Originally posted here.

I look forward to spending the month with everyone!

Amy

Our weigh-ins are on Thursdays and you have until 12 PM PST on Friday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: September 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks. I am in for September. Finally seeing how to lose this so my body is happy and loses more weight. I may have to revise my weight goals!

Congrats on launching your young person to the world! It's bittersweet but a sign that you did a good job as a parent. Also, pro tip, being a parent to an adult is the hardest phase of all!

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:51 am

Thank you Amy for your words of wisdom ! I would like to join in this month's MWL weigh in. I have been before and want to join in again. I will not be posting a weigh in this coming week as I will be out of town. I will post the following Thursday ( 9/12) for the first two weeks. I look forward to this month and hope everyone is too !

Best of luck to your college- bound child and I am also sending hugs to YOU ! I agree with the last person to post. I think the hardest road for parents is when their child becomes an adult. They take the reins from you and head out into the world. It is exciting but hard for parents to give up that control. :nod:

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby amandamechele » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:08 pm

Marsha - Yay! I’m glad you’re up for another month of MWLing. How would you like to revise your goals? That’s encouraging to hear that you are feeling very strong about this. Some weeks will be better than others...but those good weeks feel sooo good! I will admit today has been a bit sad day for me just getting used to the idea that Carter (my son) is gone. My second eldest took no time in cleaning out Carter’s room and has moved into it already. Poor Carter has no idea...LOL.

Marilyn - Awesome to have you back. Good to know you will be away so I will add you to the tally as a zero loss. Thank you for the kind words, it is difficult and I worry a bit but I will have faith knowing that we have done all that we could to prepare him and will continue to be there for him no matter how things turn out. I just really really do hope for the best.

Here’s some yummy food-inspiration. A friend from my 10-day program made Jeff Novick’s Sweet potato curry burgers and posted a photo today, which gave me a craving so I made some too. Sorry in advance for any unintended burger making that occurs in your lives as a result...LOL:

amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 am

I had planned on skipping this month and possible October as I just was wanting a break, but I've already changed my mind. I posted my thoughts in my journal already. I've just been off track, but I don't want to be off track, so I just need to face my issues.

I'll post my weight on Thursday and just suck it up.

Thanks for the support.
AnnetteW

Postby Shortnsweet » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:11 pm

I just dropped in to say HI and I'm NOT looking forward to this week's weigh-in because apparently I can't deal with holiday weekends like an adult. I was like an unsupervised kid in a candy store this weekend - except the store only had vegan junk food and wine.
Shortnsweet

Postby sirdle » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:42 pm

amandamechele wrote:September is here. I have been dreading the first day of the month because it’s the day that my oldest child is leaving the nest. :shock: It is residence move-in day at his school and this will forever be remembered by us as the first day of the rest of his life. Yep, we are a bit of a dramatic family...LOL.

amandamechele wrote:I will admit today has been a bit sad day for me just getting used to the idea that Carter (my son) is gone. My second eldest took no time in cleaning out Carter’s room and has moved into it already. Poor Carter has no idea...LOL.

That's pretty funny. :mrgreen:

I remember in my third year of college, my mom called and asked when I was coming home. I said, "I am home." Broke her heart. I was 20, what did I know about sensitivity? Now I cry at all kinds of goodbyes. This one is still good for a tear of two.

"Moving Day" - Bill Harley

Best wishes, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Mistyraider » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi , I would like to join the September group. I have been in a downward spiral of vegan junk food. I want to hold my self accountable and get back to this way of eating. This way of eating helped me become pregnant and i know it works. I just need to get back in this mindset.
Mistyraider

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:22 am

Hello September, hate to see summer leaving because in 6-8 short weeks we here in the NW will be entering the gray and rainy days/weeks. I have a natural light I use to get some 'sun'. I am solar powered so it affects my mood. And yes, I whine about it. 8)

Anyway! weighing in today at a # I haven't seen in years, which validates that eating this way really does work. I am still experimenting with combinations of foods. Lately finding that potatoes and brown rice work the best for me. Last night I had a yummy roasted sweet potato with veggie chili topping.

Aug 29, 2019: 193.4
Sept 5, 2019: 192.8
Lost .6 pounds

Keep on, keeping on!
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:25 am

Mistyraider wrote:Hi , I would like to join the September group. I have been in a downward spiral of vegan junk food. I want to hold my self accountable and get back to this way of eating. This way of eating helped me become pregnant and i know it works. I just need to get back in this mindset.

Hi Misty, I rejoined in August for the same reasons, well not to get pregnant! yikes. But I had gotten sloppy in my eating habits and really want to lose at least 10 #s. It has taken me awhile to find food combinations that work for me, but it is working now! I am about 90% compliant with the MWL guidelines.

I also created a daily journal for accountability and helps me plan my day.

Good luck! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:36 am

Amanda, you asked: "Yay! I’m glad you’re up for another month of MWLing. How would you like to revise your goals?"

My real goal is to lose my belly fat. That's where my weight gain has gone, so I don't know what that number would be. A few #s off and I can already see a difference, plus 1" gone from the waist measurement. I am reluctant to set a specific # as if that's some magic destination. And then if I don't make that #, I start to doubt myself. I am happy to just keep eating this way and use MWL weekly weigh-ins for accountability and companionship on the MWL highway.

I have several WFPS cookbooks including the McDougalls, but the simple and sweet MWL guidelines really made more sense to me. I like checklists! And JeffN's philosophy of keeping it simple really works for me.

Thanks, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby vegman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:48 am

Last Friday: 162.9 (BMI 24.2)
Today (Thursday): 162.0 (BMI 24.1)
Change: -0.9 pounds

Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)

With this loss, and last week's loss of 1.8 pounds, my weight has broken out to the downside after being stuck in a range for over a month.

Compliance has been good all along.
vegman

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 am

Good morning to all. I'm feeling fine with my gain as it was actually a 4 lb gain as of a few days ago. I was smacked hard with the eating out sodium retention. I'm trying to keep my head straight on my shoulders, and just do the plan (with very few changes....oops, but I do have a few) and move on with my daily life. I lost about 4 lbs in September based on my trend on the TrendWeight app. I can't complain too much, even though it seems like it's not dropping, it does drop. I tend to level out a bit for 2 weeks, then drop, then level out, then drop. Time to drop again. I want to see that 145 by the end of the month.

Aug 29 - Wt. 149.8
Sept 5 - Wt. 150.6 (gain 0.8)
AnnetteW

Postby laurag » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:21 am

Hi group :) I am really happy to say I lost 1 lb! I was at 155 and now at 150! I was feeling like I couldn't lose anything,but it's slowly happening just like I'm slowly figuring out how I can eat the right food. There might be a connection lol....
laurag

Postby Shortnsweet » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:19 pm

I weight EXACTLY the same today as I did 1-week ago which I'm actually really happy about BECAUSE:
1) I went a little overboard over the holiday weekend
2) I'm cycling (and I don't mean on a bicycle)

Also, the past few days I've actually started to FEEL smaller in my abdomen. I can even tell when I look in the mirror! Shirts aren't as tight around the middle. I keep having to pull my pants up (they're not falling off of me, but they're sliding).

What's sort of odd though is that I've 'only' lost 2.5 pounds in the past 3-weeks. So, I'm not sure why now this week I'm starting to notice a difference.

I'm exercising regularly 3x/week. I do Pilates 2x/week and Yoga 1x/week. Maybe I'm firming in and up and there's a bit of muscle offsetting some fat. IDK.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week's weigh-in. I'm due for a bigger loss next week!
Shortnsweet

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program