CRAM Circuit Challenge

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: CRAM Circuit Challenge

Postby sirdle » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 am

Jeff,

As always, I appreciate your insight.

JeffN wrote:Basically, the CRAM Circuit is in regard to overeating on calorie dense foods (even whole plants like nuts, seeds, dried fruit and avocado), and highly processed hyper-palatable foods. The CRAM circuit does not apply to MWL approved foods which are minimally processed foods low in calorie density and high in fiber and satiety.

sirdle wrote:I watched the video and what I found interesting was that Dr Lisle seemed to imply the 'cram circuit' is geared toward calorie dense foods only and nobody ever has a problem with fruit.

Humph.

Well, I definitely have a sweet tooth. Eating a bag of very sweet blueberries (or bananas or grapes, but never apples) will trigger a desire to eat more, even when I am already full. And I often find myself heading to the kitchen immediately after eating lunch and dinner -- even when full -- for my 'treat'. Perhaps this is not literally the 'cram circuit'. But for lack of a better word, that's what I'm calling it. ;-)

Okay. So it's not the 'cram circuit'... but something is going on here. Mindless eating, perhaps?

Sometimes when I am full -- and following the MWL plan -- I will continue to eat. This never happens with grains or beans... or broccoli. ;) It only happens with fruit. And it only happens with very ripe fruit. A normal bag of blueberries will not trigger it, but a bag of super sweet blueberries will.

The emotional response is that 'there is always room for a few more blueberries'. [Full disclosure: I almost never eat by sitting down at a table with just me and my food. I am either reading a book or reading something on my computer.]

During the past week, while participating in this challenge, I have paused after each meal before heading to the kitchen for my 'treat'. I have paid close attention to whether I am still hungry or not. If I am, I continue to eat MWL-compliant foods. If not, then I stop.

My weight has been steady for the last three weeks, however since starting this challenge I have lost 1.5 lbs.

Is this simply a question of mindfulness? Or is there something more complicated going on?

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 am

I wouldn't want to guess from a distance without more details about you or your lifestyle and diet or longterm results, (as all new tweeks work for a few days/weeks) but remember, the MWL limits fruit to 2 a day :)

If you asked Dr McDougall why, he would say because he has witnessed the situation many times amongst patients. If this is an issue for you, I would recommend staying within his guidelines.

I have my own theories but will choose not to was philosophical today.

Remember the discussion on whole grain pasta and tortilla's?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58681&p=591201&#p591201

In the end, if someone has a tendency to overeat on a MWL approved food, then switch it for another one but don't not eat if one is truly hungry. For some people it may be grapes and bananas or even brown rice, but not apples, grapefruit or potatoes.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby sirdle » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:57 am

As always, thank you very much for your feedback!

JeffN wrote:...but remember, the MWL limits fruit to 2 a day :)

I remember! That's the part of the program I have the hardest time with. :roll:

By the way, in terms of berries is 1/2 cup = '1 fruit' ? Or 1 cup = '1 fruit' ?

JeffN wrote:If you asked Dr McDougall why, he would say because he has witnessed the situation many times amongst patients. If this is an issue for you, I would recommend staying within his guidelines.

Probably for the best. :-P

JeffN wrote:Remember the discussion on whole grain pasta and tortilla's?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58681&p=591201&#p591201

Yes. That was a very good thread. I love pasta, too, and can overeat on it, so I eat it only a couple of times a month. But I've never over-eaten corn tortillas! :-P

JeffN wrote:In the end, if someone has a tendency to overeat on a MWL approved food, then switch it for another one but don't not eat if one is truly hungry. For some people it may be grapes and bananas or even brown rice, but not apples, grapefruit or potatoes.

In Health
Jeff

Thanks again, for your comments... and keeping us on track!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 am

for me too it's been the fruit, and yes, I'm eating more than 2 pieces a day. I guess I need to focus on that. So no more fruit for me today, I already had two small pears with my breakfast.

I have no issue with us all being guided in the right direction, that's why we are here, to learn and to learn how to do it right.

Thanks for directing us towards the right path, Jeff. I still think it's kind of cool that you and Dr. Lisle were discussing this thread, realized we were doing something wrong, and came to help us out. That is true support.

Take care everyone and we can work on doing this right.
AnnetteW

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:57 am

sirdle wrote:Thanks again, for your comments... and keeping us on track!

Sure.

Just as an FYI, lets just say for discussion sake that calorie/weight math is perfect (which it isn’t) and so are your numbers (which would have to rely on many variables being exact), and you lost 1.5 lbs in 3 weeks

A loss of 1.5 lbs comes from a negative net balance of 5,250 calories. Three weeks would be 21 days. That means your net balance went down 250 calories a day. A typical serving is about 60 calories, which is about 4 servings.

So, we could say this was the results of you cutting out 4 servings of fruit a day, keeping everything else identical. Of course, all this is just a “what-if” in a perfect world. :)

Now, some people might say, no problem, I can easily eat 4 servings, while others may say, no way, I could never eat that much. So it would depend.

However, clearly, Dr Mcdougall has enough experience and evidence to have him make this a specific point.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:59 am

AnnetteW wrote:Thanks for directing us towards the right path, Jeff. I still think it's kind of cool that you and Dr. Lisle were discussing this thread, realized we were doing something wrong, and came to help us out. That is true support.

Thank you.

That is why we are here and why we put this post up and have circulated it many times...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57272

It is also why we created this forum, so anyone new to our program, or anyone needing a reminder, can be brought up to speed very quickly .

viewforum.php?f=14

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program