August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Welcome to the August Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi All!

It’s another new month and time to reaffirm your pledge to yourself to work towards your goals of better health, fitness and weight loss.

I will make this month the one in which I will follow the MWL plan very closely.

Sometimes, when just getting started or during a period of less motivation it can be difficult to set your mind to making a long-lasting life change. Dr. Lisle, the staff psychologist of the McDougall Wellness Program, suggests this may be the time to consider doing an experiment. It is much easier - or more palatable if you will permit the analogy LOL - to seriously consider a short term change. There is no trickery involved here; you are just giving yourself an out at the end of the month if you decide this level of the program isn’t for you. The catch is, it’s really important to truly give the plan a chance for the month. This means very good adherence levels to the MWL guidelines.

What do this mean? How am I going to do this?

There are many different ways to get started. It’s important to choose a strategy that you are most likely to follow consistently. You can start an online journal and write about how you are doing there. You can wing it, and just jump right it. You can read through the How to Begin threads and gather information.

Here’s a quick way to get started for the month*:

1) Print up a calendar for the month of August. Write START on the 1st and END on the 31st Write it in your favourite bright colour (I choose pink!).
2) Print up Jeff Novick’s 10-Point Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss (MWL), and put it up beside the calendar you have printed. Preferably on your fridge or pantry door.
3) For each day that you meet 8 out of 10 points on the checklist, put a big X on that calendar date.
4) At the end of the month tally up the number of days that you met the requirements from point (3). If you score under 24, not to worry, you are now ready to do quite well in September. If you score 24/30 be very proud of yourself. If you score 27/30 you get a prize!!!

What’s the prize, you ask?

The best prize will be how good you feel about what you have accomplished; that’s your self-esteem rising. But if you are looking for a little extra reward to incentivize yourself, it should be something that you think will add to your motivation to do well. Examples range from carrots to sticks. A new kitchen gadget. A concert. An agreement to donate to your favourite cause. An agreement to donate to your least favourite cause should you not succeed. So many choices...

So, let’s get started, the month is already underway!
Best wishes and I look forward to hearing from you all on Thursday.

Amy

Our weigh-ins are on Thursdays and you have until 12 PM PST on Friday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

*This is merely an example of one strategy, versus an endorsed part of the MWL program.
(Edited to correct for the fact that I did the knuckle counting method wrong and thought there were only 30 days in August!! LOL Yikes you’d think after almost 45 Augusts I’d have this one down pat!)
Last edited by amandamechele on Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Re: August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:49 pm

I’m going to post this one section again, because it is a new change to the group:

Our weigh-ins are on Thursdays and you have until 12 PM PST on Friday to report.

That means the first weigh-in is on August 1st!!!

Eek!

No time like the present.

Amy XO
amandamechele

Postby laurag » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi everyone, I was at 151 all week till yesterday. so I guess put in 152 still. 0 loss bummer i was close though. I am having trouble losing but I know I am being healthy making at least mostly good choices. I tend to over eat and drink on weekend wine quite a few glasses not going to lie. To hear that out loud doesn't sound that great! i also have a problem with oil like chips but this week I said no to chips ! !!! and I walked twice a day and mostly ate potato salsa and kale
laurag

Postby Aprincess » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:35 pm

Hello All, Up 1.9. :( This week will be another tough one. But, I am determined to show a loss next week! Have a great week, everyone! :nod:
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby Shortnsweet » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 pm

I lost 3.0 lbs since last week on 7/26 for a total of 13.0 lbs since 5/31. Yay!

It's really nice to be out of the nineties and into the eighties for pounds to go.

Today is also 25 consecutive days of no wine for me. My goal is 30-days which I'll reach on 8/6.

I'm really liking Pilates on the reformer (not on the mat). I like it better than yoga. I'm planning to start doing Pilates 2x/wk and yoga 1x/wk.

I saw a post on Instagram of a woman who reached her goal weight of 130-lbs by losing 115-lbs in 2-years following the Starch Solution. She posted before and after pictures and she showed her abdomen to show her loose skin. It actually wasn't that bad. She's probably younger than I am by 15-years or so. She credits her 'not that loose skin' to slow, steady weight loss and consistently doing weight lifting since the beginning of her weight loss journey. It's still very hard for me to visualize weighing 130-lbs or less. But, her story and those pics really made me believe it's possible.

If you're on IG and want to see for yourself you can find her at nadiarunsonpotatoes. If you want to follow me, I'm jstarchivore.
Shortnsweet

Postby Michele613 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:45 pm

Hi Amy-Leader....for some reason I am able to post but guess I'll still follow thru on Jim's suggestions re computer bug.

I LOST :D 3.5 #s this week and have been at least 90% compliant. I have increased energy and am sleeping better too. Instead of staying up till 6 am on the computer and sleeping till 2-4 pm I have been getting up around 5-6:30 am and going to bed before 10-11 without the assistance of sleeping pills. I am 'hopeful' that I will continue on this road to health and get to places I haven't been in years, with the help of G-d.

When I weighed 150 two decades ago I didn't appreciate it and now I am struggling to lose the 20-30#s I've been carrying around since then so that I will feel better, look neater and be an example for others who are struggling....in fact that's how I found McDougall because a friend of mine had lost a lot of weight on her small frame and this is how she did it. I want that same result and have to keep telling myself that...I want THAT!!!

We can all get THAT...we can be the healthier versions of ourselves....just WANT IT BADLY ENOUGH! It's time (says me AT 70)

Wishing everyone a successful month...day by day or hour by hour.
Michele613

Postby amandamechele » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:53 am

Laura - You were close to weighing a pound less, so this will bode well for next week’s loss if you continue to make similarly good choices and stick to the no chips for the week. Good luck with that one. :) I hope you are able to get them out of the house with the blessing of anyone you live with. I would find it extremely difficult if I had to face those every day. Congratulations on walking 2x a day and your delicious sounding meal choices.

Amy - With a tough week ahead just do the best that you can. Being prepared and having a plan for all anticipated tough spots can help you stay as close to your goal as possible. Keep that determination fired up with as many good choices as possible! You can do this.

ShortnSweet - Nice loss! Nice dedication to your month of no alcohol! May I ask, you mention liking Pilates on a reformer...what is that? I’ll check out the success story you mention on IG. I have wondered if some people were more lucky than others with regards to loose skin/stretch marks. My 23andMe DNA report results indicated I am more likely to have stretch marks - I didn’t read the details, but the state of my skin supports that little probabilistic nugget of genetic information...LOL. You will probably fare well and hopefully losing weight slowly has some benefit. I’ll look you up on IG, my handle is...surprise surprise... amandamechele. :) (My profile is pretty boring as I don’t post much there)

Michele - LOL...you are so sweet and funny. We are all in this together as a group. I’m glad to see you are able to post, and even more glad to hear about that loss!! Woo hoo! I hope you continue to have success staying away from the sleeping pills. Healthy living can be quite effective at improving sleep onset latency, duration and quality. Here’s a link that I have previously posted on recommendations for good sleep hygiene. Some of the recommendations may aid in keeping up the momentum you have started with this issue. Keep wanting to be that example! You can get there and be a role model for many others who start on this path. :)
amandamechele

Postby Aprincess » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:06 am

Michele613 wrote:I LOST :D 3.5 #s this week....

Wow, that’s GREAT!!!! And, so inspiring! Congratulations!!!! :)
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby sirdle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:01 am

"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh", said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing", he said.

==============================

A loss of 0.1 lbs this week. Essentially holding steady.

Too many fruits, not enough veggies. Also, I've been eating packaged salads from Trader Joe's instead of making my own. They have pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and edamame so they are McDougall compliant, but not MWL.

My weight is low enough that these types of things are starting to make a difference. That's good... and bad... if you know what I mean. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby moonlight » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:25 am

Congrats to everyone for being here! Happy August! Woot Woot to Shortnsweet and Michele! I'm sure that feels good to have such losses. Amy, thank you for arranging our weigh-in to better accommodate your schedule. I'm so glad you are staying with us on this journey!! Your weekly messages are inspiring!!

I'm holding steady at 169 lbs. I'm really good at maintenance, I guess!! (I lost 2 lbs in July.) At least I'm headed in the right direction. Here's a copy of my August calendar. My goal is to have more green smiley faces, which will equal 100% on the 10 pt checklist and exercise. My yellow smiley face yesterday was because I lost one pt. on the checklist and no exercise... Cheers to a losing August!

August Countdown
:-D 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby anelson108 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:37 am

Weigh-in today: Fri., August 2, 2019: 187.2
Last weigh-in: Fri., July 5, 2019: 188.2
Results: 1 pound loss
Total pound loss (since joining MWL): 17.4
Goal weight: 150 pounds (5' 6" height)
Remaining weight: 37.2 pounds
anelson108

Postby vegman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:36 am

Last Friday: 165.3 (BMI 24.6)
Today: 165.6 (BMI 24.6)
Change: +0.3 pounds
Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)

Feeling better, more walking. Ran out of lettuce at times; substituted cooked veg in salads. One day made a batch of buckwheat pancakes (just buckwheat and water); biggest indulgence since June 10 restart of MWL. Overall, diet and activity are reasonable, health is generally good. Will let nature take its course and see what happens over time with weight.
vegman

Postby Rosey » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:06 am

Last week 276.4 lbs this week 270.4 lbs I think this weeks loss makes up for that gain I had last week. laugh. 6 lbs gone this week.
Rosey

Postby sirdle » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:59 pm

amandamechele wrote:Print up Jeff Novick’s 10-Point Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss (MWL), and put it up beside the calendar you have printed. Preferably on your fridge or pantry door.

Funny. I never noticed before that Jeff's 10-point checklist actually has 11 items. :mrgreen:
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm

sirdle wrote:
amandamechele wrote:Print up Jeff Novick’s 10-Point Checklist for Maximum Weight Loss (MWL), and put it up beside the calendar you have printed. Preferably on your fridge or pantry door.

Funny. I never noticed before that Jeff's 10-point checklist actually has 11 items. :mrgreen:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! You are so right. I can’t believe I never caught that.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program