August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:36 am

I lost .6 of a pound in one week, was hoping for more but had a bad back spasm episode this week so couldn't exercise for 3 days. I was happy I had some frozen meals so was able to, mostly, stick to MWL program. I KNOW I will crack the 194 # this week though, will see 193!! I enjoy finding new recipes from the Quick & Easy cookbook. Back to water aerobics, gently, today, to work on the tight back. Today's weight 194.2.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby vegman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:10 am

Last Thursday: 164.2 (BMI 24.4)
Today: 164.0 (BMI 24.4)
Change: -0.2 pounds
Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)
vegman

Postby stillcrazy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:08 am

Down 2.7 lbs. this week. Yay for me, two good weeks in a row. I know it has helped that I’ve been doing lots of yard and garden work, which I truly enjoy, and also that I’ve given myself free reign on the veg’s in my garden. Lots of snacking has happened ;-)
I hope everyone enjoys a good loss this week too. Vee.
stillcrazy

Postby Shortnsweet » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:38 am

0.6 lb loss this week. Trying not to be disappointed. Trying to remember that this time last year I was gaining weight. Reminding myself that now I'm losing weight and I'm exercising regularly, which I had quit doing for almost 1-year.

If I can trust the BMI calc, then it's possible that I've gained .5 lb muscle.

I think that I'm doing everything right with my eating so I'm just going to keep at it and try to be patient.
Shortnsweet

Postby Michele613 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:30 am

Congrats to everyone on their efforts...big or small....keep going.

Amy, my scale is broken (no, really!!!) I had too many off days so I know I'd be posting a gain...could be as much as 2 or 3 lbs but I cannot rely on my scale until it is fixed or replaced. Need to regroup...recommit and reform.

Everyone should have a better week...day by day!
Michele613

Postby amandamechele » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:57 am

Vee - I agree, it can be so easy to focus on the negative things in life, and not even notice all of the little blessings. Noticing the luck we have experienced, the goodwill others have extended to us and our own ability to work hard is the recipe for gratitude. I love raw green beans, especially fresh from the garden. What else are you currently harvesting? I am overloaded with zucchini, and not the little yellow ones that I actually like. Fresh garden veggies are a great and inexpensive snack that will help towards your weight loss goals. Congratulations on the great loss this week.

Anne-Sophie - With good diligence to the program guidelines you will lose that weight in no time. :) With regards to your breakfast, all of those are very healthy choices. The chia seeds and soy yogurt are a bit high in calorie density and thus not a part of the MWL guidelines, however. You will have to decide for yourself whether you want to include them in your daily breakfast while trying to lose that last little bit of weight. The calories in 1 cup of soy yogurt is approximately 125 calories and in 2 tbsp of chia seeds is about 140 calories (with 9 grams of fat). This adds 265 calories to your oatmeal and berries which could go towards bulkier foods with lower calorie density which could help with the satiety issue you are mentioning. (You are also just coming off of a fast this week, so, maybe, you may feel a little extra hungry as your body readjusts to eating again). For those same amount of calories you could eat a large (approx 300g) potato, for example. This evening I ate a 450g container of strawberries and pineapple, and that filled my stomach, and it came in at just under 200 calories. You may want to play around with your food choices and eat a little lower on the calorie density scale in order to feel more satisfied.

Amy - Thank you all the same for checking in. Have a great week!

Annette - LOL, I’m with you on that one...if only! You’ve got the right idea. In this case abstinence does not make the heart grow fonder. Staying away from the nuts and little cheats will help fade those cravings for them away. Here’s Dr. Lisle talking about just this thing in the McDougall webinar The Cram Circuit.

Marsha - I’m sorry to hear about your back and hope it’s beginning to feel a bit better. You’ll definitely crack the 193 mark soon. I bought that cookbook last time I was at a McDougall 3Day Program. What are your favourite recipes so far?

Vegman - Thanks for checking-in. You are still moving in the right direction. Best wishes for the coming week.

ShortnSweet - All great thoughts. Keep working the plan and staying active, the weight will come off in its own sweet time.

Michele - I’m happy to hear from you. :) I swear my scale is broken too; it’s not, though I wish it were...LOL. I’m just kidding. Do what you feel comfortable tackling this week, no more and no less. Work on one little aspect of the program and more if you feel up to it, but honestly please don’t worry yourself too much. Checking-in is still a valuable way to keep some focus on the program, even when not weighing in.
amandamechele

Postby alishana » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:56 am

Hi everyone ! It's so nice to read everybody's victories and struggles, we are all in this together.
I'm very happy because I lost 1.6lbs this week ! It's maybe because I've started running 3x/week.
alishana

Postby moonlight » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:39 am

August MWL Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o :( :-D :( :D :( :( 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
As sad as my August calendar looks, it is still pushing me back toward compliance. I've had a few weeks of medical drama and I've let it become my mantra for comfort food!! My medical tests are finished. Yesterday I slept most of the day due to being put to sleep for a biopsy procedure and taking pain meds. Hopefully, today I will stop taking the pain meds. I'll have to wait for the pathology report to know the next plan of action.

Amy, thanks for asking about me. I am wavering back and forth from being compliant on the MWL plan (getting in plenty of vegetables)and eating for convenience and not concerning myself with MWL food. I'm looking forward to getting back on track. I plan to start listening to Dr. Lisle lectures again. I need some incentive to care a little more than I have been recently. The cravings are strong for the highly palatable foods I have indulged in recently. I've noticed a specialized talent my mind has to convince me to believe devoutly in a falsehood, namely that certain foods will help me feel better! Thus, my willingness to cave over and over again. With Dr. Lisle's help I hope to out smart my brain and get back on track. :D

Oh, yes, besides my confession I guess I must state my weight! I'm up 3 lbs.!! OMG! Dr. Lisle videos to the rescue. I welcome any suggestions on lectures, YouTube videos, or articles that have inspired you to get back on track. :)
moonlight

Postby sirdle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:42 am

A loss of 0.8 this week. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:41 am

Hi Amy,
I am a stickler for rules and honor system so I want to ask for a clarification on the weigh-in day. :-D Are we supposed to weigh in on Thursday and then we have until Friday to report Thursday’s result? Or, can we weigh in on Friday as long as we report before noon on Friday?

PS. Asking because I’m 1 pound lighter today and I really want to report that, but I also want to follow the rules! :D :D :D
Shortnsweet

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:07 am

Shortnsweet wrote:Hi Amy,
I am a stickler for rules and honor system so I want to ask for a clarification on the weigh-in day. :-D Are we supposed to weigh in on Thursday and then we have until Friday to report Thursday’s result? Or, can we weigh in on Friday as long as we report before noon on Friday?

PS. Asking because I’m 1 pound lighter today and I really want to report that, but I also want to follow the rules! :D :D :D

LOL....I too am a pound lighter this morning than yesterday. But I reported yesterday and won't cheat. Now to keep that one pound off so I can report it for next week.

BTW, YEA US!!!!!!
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:33 am

Shortnsweet wrote:Hi Amy,

I don't think it matters. It would be weird if you shifted days depending on your weight ;-) , but the reason for having a set day is to allow our dear Amy some time with her family! If people report any old day, then Amy is constantly reading and responding to posts instead of chilling with her old man.

At least that's my understanding.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lorna1954a » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Is it ok to jump in in the middle of the month? If s, put me down as starting weight 247. I’m glad to be back on track. Thanks, Lorna
Lorna1954a

Postby amandamechele » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 am

Hi All!

I appreciate each of you taking the time to check in and let us know how you are doing.

Losing weight does not happen overnight. Even those that are having consistent losses, due to great dedication to the program guidelines, could be in the weight loss phase of this lifestyle for quite some time.

Last week, I started the weekending post with:
A key feature that separates the McDougall plan(s) from other diets is that it is not recommended that you track your food calories or the amounts consumed.

I would like to turn that on its head this week, because I did do a little bit of tracking of calories and weighing of food in order to try and show why setting your expectations to approximately 1 - 2 pounds per week is the most realistic and thus reasonable thing for you to do in order to stabilize the sometimes emotional feedback that the scale gives you.
I decided to go onto Cronometer.com, as recommended by Jeff Novick, and plug in some numbers to compare how realistic it would be for me to expect to lose 1 pound a week vs 2 pounds a week eating MWL style foods that I typically eat.
It was an interesting exercise, let me tell you.

First some details:
1) I (previously) set up a free account on Cronometer and adjusted my profile and targets under the settings tab, in order to reflect my height, current weight, desired amount of weight lost per week and activity level.
(*** I am 5’0.5” tall, so please take that into account when you read the numbers below***)

2) I inputted everything that I ate for the given day into the Diary Section.
(Under the Food tab, I used the custom food setting to input my homemade recipes in order to make daily recording a faster process).

3) I weighed everything that I ate on a digital scale to be as accurate as possible.
(Be sure to take a look at a recent mailing/article from Jeff called Do You Know How Many Calories are in the Food You Eat? in order to understand the limitations of our own estimation abilities and the accuracy of the measurement tools that we use when it comes to calorie counting).

Here is the screen shot of 1 scenario: Amy Lose 1 pound per week/Sedentary Activity Setting:

As you can see on this particular day I felt full after eating about 1131 calories. With my BMR and a sedentary activity setting, this puts me directly in line with being able to comfortably lose 1 pound per week. If I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week I would have to drop my daily caloric intake to about 629 calories or add in some activity.
Here are the numbers based on my personal biometrics:

1 pound per week :
Calorie Budget/Sedentary 1102
Calorie Budget/Moderately Active 1534

2 pounds per week:
Calorie Budget/Sedentary 629
Calorie Budget/Moderately Active 1035

What this little exercise has shown me is that it would be quite unreasonable for me to expect to lose 2 pounds a week, at my current activity level, and feel satiated.
If you are feeling a little disappointed with the speed of your losses, this could be a great activity to undertake yourself, in order to see what is possible for your given situation. This new understanding could lead to better feelings of satisfaction at your rate of progress.

I hope that you all have a wonderful week!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the third week in August:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, August 23rd, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 367.32 pounds

August 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 18.3 pounds

Week ending 08/16/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 3.5 pounds
---------------------------------------
Moonlight - 3.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 3.0
--------------------------------------
A/S - 0.0
APrincess - 0.0
AnnetteW - 2.6
Deweyswakms - 0.6
Vegman - 0.2
Stillcrazy - 2.7
ShortnSweet - 0.6
Michele613 - 0.0
Sirdle - 0.8
Lorna - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 7.5
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in August 2019: 18.3 pounds
Week ending 08/16/2019: 11 participants reported a total loss of 3.5 pounds
Week ending 08/09/2019: 14 participants reported a total loss of 3.4 pounds
Week ending 08/02/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of 11.4 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:19 am

Here’s what that day looked like in terms of food eaten:
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program