August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby sirdle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:47 am

Shortnsweet wrote:This week: 1.3 pounds lost

Excellent! Did you do anything different this week?

Aprincess wrote:I’ve started logging everything I’m going to eat for the day in the morning into my LoseIt app. That seems to keep me compliant. I plan what to eat and then eat to the plan. It’s working right now so I’m going to keep it going. I know we are not supposed to watch calories and I’m really not. But, just logging what I plan to eat seems to be keeping me on track. I hope it continues. I love reading all of your posts so I’ll keep checking in today. Have a great week, everyone!!! ~ Amy

If it works... keep at it!

But also pay attention to how you feel. If you are truly hungry, you may have to revise your plan. You don't want to be in a place where you are constantly fighting hunger. On the other hand, I've found that having some sort of 'check' (a plan, Cronometer, keeping track of calories) helps me from 'boredom' eating.

vegman wrote:After I re-started MWL compliance June 10, my weight, which had been drifting upward, dropped significantly from the low 170s into the mid-160s. For a while now it’s been increasing and decreasing slightly but staying within a range.

Congratulations! You're at a good equilibrium. A slight tweak may get you moving back down.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby laurag » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 pm

I so appreciate all the brutal honesty in this forum! I so relate with being mostly compliant and not seeing too many losses. I feel better when I don't eat in middle of night, weird habit I picked up a few months ago, so I am announcing I will not do that anymore! I also am starting to see it is the little non compliances that are :nod: tripping us all up. My goal this week is to actually adhere to program. This is hard. I do feel like all of us r so close -love to all u :)
laurag

Postby moonlight » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:22 pm

Yay Everybody!! :D :D

I can't get fancy with pictures and videos but I want to wish everybody a good week. I love the momentum this group generates.

I'm down 3 lbs. since last week!! Woot Woot! Back at 172. I'm looking forward to getting back in the 160's. I can wear a size 12 pants now. That's way cool for me.
Here's my calendar for the month. I've really had some off-plan days. I'm getting back on track now.

August MWL Countdown
:-D :mrgreen: :-( :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :o :( :-D :( :D :( :( :D :D :D :D :D :| 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
moonlight

Postby Aprincess » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:46 pm

moonlight wrote:I'm down 3 lbs. since last week!! Woot Woot!

That’s a WOOT WOOT for sure!!! Good job!!!!! :mrgreen: :-D

~ Amy :)
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby Aprincess » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:50 pm

laurag wrote:I so appreciate all the brutal honesty in this forum! I so relate with being mostly compliant....

Hey, we’re all human and we all know eating healthy isn’t always easy. :-D The only thing that would get me up and in the kitchen in the middle of the night would be something really non compliant in the kitchen. Get that sh*t outta there... lol :D ~ Amy
Aprincess

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Geez, I almost forgot. Yesterday's weight was kinder as it was a full pound lighter (I had sushi and soy sauce last night).

Start weight - (7/31/19) - 153.3
Week 1 - (8/8/19) - 154.4 (gain of 1.1)
Week 2 - (8/15/19) - 151.8 (loss of 2.6)
Week 3 - (8/22/19) - 150.3 (loss of 1.5)
AnnetteW

Postby Aprincess » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:55 pm

sirdle wrote:If it works... keep at it!

Thanks! :)

sirdle wrote:But also pay attention to how you feel. If you are truly hungry, you may have to revise your plan. You don't want to be in a place where you are constantly fighting hunger. On the other hand, I've found that having some sort of 'check' (a plan, Cronometer, keeping track of calories) helps me from 'boredom' eating.

I think we have all done the boredom eating. For a while, I was in the habit of eating just to keep awake in the evening. Baaaaad habit!

~ Amy :)
Aprincess

Postby amandamechele » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Vee - Thank you, I’m glad you found the chart helpful. Your garden sounds lovely. How do you prepare your turnips?

Alishana - Here is a description of how I upload photos. You would first need to set up a free Flickr account:
amandamechele wrote:
Talita - Woo hoo! Congratulations on getting back to your goal. I know you can maintain it...keep doing your best, one day at a time. With regards to posting pictures, I use Flickr.com, like Sue. Upload your photo, change privacy to public, go into photo stream tab, select photo you want and click on it. It will open and have a black background behind it. In the bottom right corner of that page there are 4 choices for editing, sizing, etc. Click on the downward pointing arrow over the line and select a size (I tend to choose medium). It will open your photo onto another page with a white background. Copy the url of this page and post it in between the following BB code [img]pastelinkhere[/img]. There is possibly an easier way to do this, but this worked so I never explored any further. LOL. With regards to smoothies, Landog is correct, they are not recommended. Jeff Novick explains why in this thread: Fruit Smoothies. But I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't drink them here, just pointing you to the explanation behind the

Amy

ShortnSweet - Love your gifs... LOL... they portray your frustration so humorously. Totally know how you feel! Sirdle and Annette make some great points. You practically did lose 15 pounds...so very close! How you doin’?

Amy - Cronometer is so great! It really pays off to take some time and really learn how to use it and understand the information it is providing. Here is an older thread from Jeff about how to get the most out of using The CRON-O-Meter. The program website has changed a bit since this thread came out, but the all of the other information is still quite useful. Congratulations on the loss this week.

Moonlight - Woo hoo, congratulations on wearing a smaller size and a loss of 3 more pounds. You’ll be into an even lower size in no time.

Vegman - Sirdle is right, if you want more of a loss you could adjust what you are eating very slightly. Alternatively, you could just keep doing what you are doing and see where 2 more months of really great diligence takes you. Your BMI is wonderfully low, so you may be losing too little to track the trend weekly, but further losses would be evident on a longer timescale.

Laura - XO. One of our current MWL group members has started a challenge that you may be interested in checking out because you are working on not eating in the evening. Check out Annette’s Cram Circuit Challenge. The thread is quite talkative too and thus has the potential for daily support; I find when people attempt a big change, such as no more night eating, they enjoy having others to chat with who are going through the same thing at the same time.

Annette That’s still a nice loss, even if yesterday was better! That’s a great challenge you have going there. Best wishes for much success.
amandamechele

Postby sirdle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:32 am

0.5 lb loss this week.

Progress is much slower as I approach my ideal weight, but still steady.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:57 am

8/23/19 weigh-in
Last Week: 194.2
Today: 194.0
Change: -0.2 pounds

Well, I hoped for more loss. I was probably 95% compliant but I wonder if I am eating too many beans and not enough veggies. I did run out of my my starch, brown rice. And I need to be in the swimming pool. I just love being outside in the summer SUN since I live in the gray and gloomy NW. Anyway, this is typical for my 72 year old body. Losing weight at this age is hard for me. A week ago I hit 193 one day but then bounced right back to 194.2. I know if I am patient and persistent, my body will drop another .4 or .5 a pound probably this week. And I will stay on plan.

So, keep on keeping on!
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Lorna1954a » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:46 am

Weight 243 down 4 lbs. I’m sure most of it is water.
Lorna1954a

Postby laurag » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:14 pm

0 loss this week, no gain!
laurag

Postby stillcrazy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:06 pm

I thought I posted this morning but must have forgot to hit “submit”. I lost .1 lb. Vee
stillcrazy

Postby Rosey » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi everyone. Been an interesting few weeks and I put back on 11 lbs 281 lbs now. Clearly I need to take better care of myself when things get stressful and someone offers me junk at same time it's stressful. Getting back on track now and reporting in. My FIL fell and cracked his hip 6 weeks ago and when they let him out of rehab he had to come here for a few weeks and keep wanting to get junk foods oh my. He is able to be on own now but his apartment isn't ok for him. He will be moving in with his Daughter and SIL once they get bedroom cleaned for him but for now he's living in his apartment on the main floor and going to her house to do showers. Whole time he was with us he was complaining and grumping about not being in his home town where most his friends are. luckily 1 of his friends does live down here and came and got him a couple times and went to dinner together. Seeing how I handle this I need to be more prepared in my mind to say no to things and get myself out in garden if someone is grumping at me that can't make it out to the garden. Love him dearly and lived with him for many years but he is so different when he's in pain and not in his own town. Change isn't setting well with him. I keep praying that he does ok moving in with his daughter and her family.
Rosey

Postby amandamechele » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:00 am

Hello Forum Family :) :)

What a truly supportive week. Thank you so much for keeping up with each other, and sending helpful suggestions to each other and sharing your good and the not so good experiences while navigating this weight loss journey together. You all are awesome and will go very far, of this I have no doubt.

I wanted to show you a picture of the inside of my fridge because, as we all know, keeping your home as free of off-plan foods as possible can make adherence to the guidelines an easier task. Less temptations for you and less C.R.A.P. for your family. Sometimes it seems like everyone eating this way has managed to completely rid their home of offending foods. I will admit that isn’t the case in my home. I do my best to keep the most tempting foods out, but I’m not always able to. Often what ends up in our kitchen pantry and fridge is a mix of adherent foods, compromise foods and surprise foods (things that the kids bring home with them or guests give us). Keeping the right balance takes a consistent cycle of purging and purchasing.

If you have a chance this week, take the time to purge any tempting items and purchase and prepare the right foods to make it as easy a week as possible.

Also, as an aside, having the tools you need ready and organized will make the above process easier. I keep cupboards full of glass and plastic containers so that I always have fast and easy storage for the foods that I prepare. I have taken to purchasing these in recent years, but as you can see below I still like to save big glass jars (my kids go through a lot of peanut butter) because they are really sturdy and freeze well. Additionally I can bring them with me to other people’s homes and then I don’t worry if I forget them, or I give others leftovers in them.

Here are some wonderful resources from the McDougalls on how to get your home ready for eating this way:
Prepare for Health
Mary in your Kitchen: Making the Change to a Healthy Lifestyle work in your Life
Meal Planning Made Easy by Mary McDougall*** There are other articles in the Mary in Your Kitchen series, unfortunately the links that I have found are all broken - April 2005, June 2005. If anyone has links, and happens to read this, I’d love if you could post them.
Stocking Your Kitchen August 2005 McDougall Newsletter (see page 10-13 for lists of recommended pantry items, cookware, tools and seasonings)
Google Video Search: Mary in Your Kitchen
And here’s a wonderful thread from Vintagesan who crowd sourced ideas from fellow McDougallers:
What Helped You To Make a Permanent Change. (Spoiler: keeping your fridge cleared of junk is just one of many many helpful strategies).

Oops, this was meant to be short and quick. Admittedly it was quick to write, but it just seems to keep going and going...LOL. That is my cue to get going!

Have a wonderful and successful week!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the fourth week in August:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, August 30th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 367.62 pounds
August 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds