July 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby laurag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 am

also thanku for wendys suggestion :-D
laurag

Postby sirdle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Aprincess wrote:Does Shredded Wheat work with this program? There’s no sugar, oil, or salt in the ingredients. Just wheat.

I can't find the reference (perhaps Amy or Lyndzie will chime in ?), but I believe they are fine on the regular McDougall diet, but restricted on the MWL plan.

The ingredients are fine, as you noted, but the calorie density is very high due to the lack of moisture. (The same could be said of rice cakes.) Pasta is allowed because it is re-hydrated during cooking, and the result is a calorie density around 500-600 calories per pound.

I could be wrong about all of this.

Best to wait for the experts to drop by. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 pm

sirdle wrote:
Aprincess wrote:Does Shredded Wheat work with this program? There’s no sugar, oil, or salt in the ingredients. Just wheat.

I can't find the reference (perhaps Amy or Lyndzie will chime in ?), but I believe they are fine on the regular McDougall diet, but restricted on the MWL plan.

The ingredients are fine, as you noted, but the calorie density is very high due to the lack of moisture. (The same could be said of rice cakes.) Pasta is allowed because it is re-hydrated during cooking, and the result is a calorie density around 500-600 calories per pound.

I could be wrong about all of this.

Best to wait for the experts to drop by. ;-)

Correct. Shredded wheat is made from flour, so it is not part of the MWL program. It has a calorie density of 1600 cal/lb.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Amy - The guidelines for the program should be considered just that, guidelines, instead of hard and fast rules. Sirdle is correct with regards to the sprit of the law here. We are attempting to lower the calorie density of the food in order to feel satiated through more volume using less calories. Wet starches will be more filling than dried or puffed starches. However, if you were to look in the McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss book, circa 1994, you would see that things like rice cakes are on the shopping list, as are puffed cereals (pg 175). Shredded wheat is mentioned, specifically, in the book when discussing eating out and is described as a next best choice (pg 159) for the exact reason that Lindsey has said; it is very high in calorie density. Both Sirdle and Lindsey are also correct that it is a perfectly healthy and acceptable choice when following the regular McDougall program. Amy, this will be something you will have to decide for yourself. How quickly would you like to lose weight? Are you able to find another breakfast option that you are equally satisfied with? If you already own it, I suggest it is fine to finish off the box, no use wasting money. However, you may consider any number of hot cereals as an alternative.

Laura - It is hard when the person you love doesn’t wish to make the change too. Sharing a meal is a quintessential human experience and you may be feeling that loss right now. It is your time to focus on you. Get well, get fit and make enough to share. You never know when he may just take a spoonful or two and actually like it.

Sirdle - Thank you. :)

Lindsey - Thank you to you too!
amandamechele

Postby Aprincess » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:58 am

amandamechele, Lyndzie, and sirdle,

Thank you all so much. It’s much clearer now. I did have a bowl the other day because I had forgotten to make overnight oats and I was pressed for time. They are always in the house because my husband eats them. But, they are not a draw for me other than occasionally for convenience. I’ll definitely be careful with that. I love the way this group does NOT make you feel you have broken a cardinal rule.. lol I will look up those page references. Thanks again, everyone! :-)
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 am

@Aprincess, that sounds like the perfect time to be eating them.

I was going to comment that eating something occasionally, that is basically considered compliant, isn't the issue. Which is something we all inherently know, I believe.

I'm at the point where I've increased my starches, a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast daily vs. the green smoothie I had for the past few months. As of today, I decided it's time to switch up the carbs, and I cooked up a bowl of barley. Honestly it didn't taste any different or have any different texture than the oats.

Dinners will also start incorporating different starches...more of different ones I guess. And it's time to start experimenting.

I just cooked up a nice batch of polenta for dinner, and kept tasting it as I made it, dang it was yummy. I'm making the Polenta and Mushrooms dish out of the Quick and Easy cookbook.

My weight seems to be going back down, so my gut must be back to normal.
AnnetteW

Postby Aprincess » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 pm

AnnetteW, I have never tried polenta. I have no idea about it. I’ll have to look up that recipe. Thanks! :)
Aprincess

Postby vegman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm unclear as to whether polenta or other preparations of grain flour and water are MWL complaint.

Dr. McDougall's original MWL guidelines eliminated flour products, but later pasta was deemed compliant.

According to Cronometer, the calorie density of polenta is about half that of cooked brown rice or cooked pasta.

The operative issue seems to be whether, as Dr. McDougall originally said, the small particle size makes for more complete digestion, hence higher calorie absorption, or whether this effect is not significant for flour-water preparations of low calorie density.

Does anyone have any insight?
vegman

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:52 pm

vegman wrote:I'm unclear as to whether polenta or other preparations of grain flour and water are MWL complaint.

Dr. McDougall's original MWL guidelines eliminated flour products, but later pasta was deemed compliant.

According to Cronometer, the calorie density of polenta is about half that of cooked brown rice or cooked pasta.

The operative issue seems to be whether, as Dr. McDougall originally said, the small particle size makes for more complete digestion, hence higher calorie absorption, or whether this effect is not significant for flour-water preparations of low calorie density.

These comments apply to Polenta too

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58681&p=591201&#p591201

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby vegman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:03 pm

JeffN wrote:
vegman wrote:I'm unclear as to whether polenta or other preparations of grain flour and water are MWL complaint.

In Health
Jeff

Thanks.
vegman

Postby Aprincess » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:05 pm

JeffN wrote:

In Health
Jeff

Thanks.[/quote]

Thank you so much! GREAT info!!!
Aprincess

Postby Michele613 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:29 am

Happy Friday everyone,

Down .6 - will aim higher next week :D

Looking towards seeing your best efforts posted. Cheers to health!!
Michele613

Postby vegman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:52 am

Last Friday: 164.5 (BMI 24.5)
Today: 164.0 (BMI 24.4)
Change: -0.5 pounds
Goal: < 148 (<BMI 22)

Want to regularly do enough walking to get that satisfied feeling, which I got when I walked 14,000 steps one day recently. Average has been around 8,000.
vegman

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 am

Starting weight (7/5/19): 158.5
Week 1 (7/12/19): 151.4 (loss of 7.1)
Week 2 (/19/19): 153.4 (gain of 2.0)
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 am

Weight is still roller-coasting downward.

This week: 1.8 lb loss.

Last week was a small loss; I expect next week will be a small loss, too.

"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program