July 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

July 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Welcome to the July Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi Everyone!

For the month opening post I had intended to discuss the recently released Red Pen review of Dr. T. Colin Campbell ‘s book The China Study. However, I noticed that a discussion about it has been started in The Lounge area of the website, so I will refrain from repeating it here; it will be interesting to see how the discussion develops there. For those unfamiliar with the book, it is considered a foundational resource by many in the plant based world, in addition to Dr. McDougall’s The McDougall Program and The Starch Solution books, Dr. Esselstyn’s Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Dr. Dean Ornish’s many works, and Dr. Lisle and Dr. Goldhamer’s The Pleasure Trap.

So now I have to think about what to open with for the month of July.
Hmmmmm....

(Photo credit: Jeff Novick - Summer Holiday Celebration Dinner)

It’s Canada Day (that’s where I live) today and in a couple of days American’s will be celebrating their nation as well, on July 4th. This is considered the official beginning of summer; hopefully filled with sun, fun and many many BBQs with friends.
What are your favourite McDougall-style BBQ foods? Mine are burgers, corn on the cob, potato salad, pasta salad, bean salad and fresh fruit.
In addition to my favourites, here are some recipes from the McDougall Kitchen: Fourth of July Recipes.

It’s wonderful to have so many recipes to choose from to aid in making BBQs, birthdays, holidays and other social gatherings easier to navigate. So experiment in order find your favourites and be sure to make enough to share; you never know who may notice just how vibrant you are looking and want to learn more.

I wish you all a fun and safe long weekend (upcoming), and look forward to spending another month together working towards our weight loss goals!

Amy :)

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: July 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby moonlight » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Amy,
I love your Canada celebration picture!! It looks like it tastes like summer. :lol:

I hope everybody is having a good week. I am doing really well. I'm really determined to stick to MWL for the month of July. No wavering!! I feel really strong and determined. :)
moonlight

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:07 pm

moonlight wrote:Amy,
I love your Canada celebration picture!! It looks like it tastes like summer. :lol:

I hope everybody is having a good week. I am doing really well. I'm really determined to stick to MWL for the month of July. No wavering!! I feel really strong and determined. :)

Me too Moonlight! Let’s give near perfection a try this month for MWL guidelines (I say near perfection to give us wiggle room for error, but not too much wiggle room).

What is your plan? What will you continue to do and what will you be doing differently?
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:40 pm

amandamechele wrote:What is your plan? What will you continue to do and what will you be doing differently?

My plan is to stay really focused. Think of the goals being absolute - no exceptions. Go hungry if I don't have access to MWL food. Be assertive about which restaurants I agree to go to. I made myself a calendar for the month. It's on my journal page. I also started using the 10 pt checklist again. I mark each recommendation each day. I am determined to only eat MWL food and exercise daily. The exceptions I allow will be for the exercise but not for the food. :D The difference in now and before is the determination to not make any exceptions in the food and really work at 30 minutes of exercise a day. I had really gotten lax. I only reduced my weight by 5 or 6 pounds this year. That is startling seeing how I have felt like I was doing this program more often than not. And, I guess I have been but there have been a lot of exceptions. I just feel really energized after the 21-day challenge!

What is your plan? How are you going to change things up?
moonlight

Postby laurag » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:14 am

hi Moonlight thanks for your post reminding me to do the same , its easier to just do the program no exceptions I would really like that for myself, Hope everybody has happy 4TH
laurag

Postby anelson108 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:55 am

Weigh-in today Fri., July 5, 2019: 188.2
Last weigh-in Fri., June 7, 2019: 192.8
Results: 4.6 pound loss
Total pound loss (since joining MWL): 16.4
Goal weight: 150 pounds (5' 6" height)
Remaining weight: 38.2 pounds
anelson108

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:22 am

New here and still learning the plan, but ready to jump in with both feet. Still finding my around. Currently reading Starch Solution.

Starting weight (7/5/19): 158.5
AnnetteW

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:30 am

At my current weight, I need to be 7'0" to be in 'normal' range.

I'm up 3.1 lbs since last Friday. Despite making mostly good choices while on vacation, I clearly made some bad choices. I did enjoy vacation, except for the moment when I nearly plummeted to my death trying to make up a bunk bed. I landed on a carpeted cement floor and the guard rail and ladder landed on top of me. I have hideous bruises and I'm very, very sore.

Anywho, I'm back home and have everything I need to resume plan. I'm glad that I watched Dr. Lisle's Weight Loss Wisdom a couple weeks ago. In that video he explains that it takes 3-days to recover mentally and physically from a slip-up.

So, today is Day 1 of my recovery from vacation slip-ups.
Shortnsweet

Postby cmwann » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:45 am

Ugh! I'm up again :( Up to 140.8 from 138.6, so up 2.2 pounds. But I will just keep at it. I just need to keep my goal in mind and do better. Onward and upward! (Not upward in weight, LOL!)

I'm glad you're okay, ShortNSweet! That sounds scary!!

Have a great week, everyone!!
cmwann

Postby sirdle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:45 am

Shortnsweet wrote:I did enjoy vacation, except for the moment when I nearly plummeted to my death trying to make up a bunk bed. I landed on a carpeted cement floor and the guard rail and ladder landed on top of me. I have hideous bruises and I'm very, very sore.

Ouch! Glad it wasn't more serious.

After 8 days in Germany and 2 days in France, it looks like I am down 0.2 lbs.

Not what I expected, because everything we ate had oil in it... even the "raw vegetables" plate at a fancy restaurant. Sigh. On the other hand, we walked a minimum of 10,000 steps each day. Many days we reached 20,000 steps and a few were over 30,000!

We had a great time, but it feels good to eat simple foods with plenty of starches and veggies and NO OIL!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Belana » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:18 am

Good morning July MWL,
Weight: 102.5
Loss: 1.1 lbs.
I've got .5 lbs left to go to hit my goal.
Hopefully, I'll nail that by next week.
Belana

Postby cmwann » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:45 pm

How EXCITING, Belana!! I'm on the sidelines cheering you on! You can do this!!! I can't imagine being that close!! See you at your goal next week! :)
cmwann

Postby amandamechele » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:56 pm

Moonlight - Awesome! Take that energy and those great plans and run with it. Best wishes this week, and I really look forward to your update. As for me, I tend to prefer baby steps. This month I am going to switch the order in which I have attempted to do this in the past. Usually I try to stop my nighttime eating on its own or switch from regular plan to MWL and tackle night time eating at the same time (this works really well for most people), but I keep stumbling. So I am going to slowly remove almost all accommodations without worrying about eating into the night. I am going to see if removing all highly palpable food will just cause the nighttime eating to become unfulfilling and thus less likely to occur. If it doesn’t after a couple of months of strict MWL foods then I will work on that problem on its own. I have managed to avoid caffeine for a couple of months now by making it priority number one. Now I will make MWL only foods priority number one and see how it goes. So far July has been good, but not perfect. I had to throw out the raisins and dates (and I ate all of the nuts in the house), they still get me into trouble. So, everyone in my home agreed to let me keep a pared down pantry in order to have less temptation around while I get back into weight loss mode. Fingers crossed!!

Laura -I hope your 4th of July was great! You are correct the quickest and often easiest way to get very good results on this program is to jump right in and make all of the recommended changes. This is the first course of action recommended. Best wishes this week if that is what you are attempting. Do your best and don’t let tiny slips throw you off of your goal. :)

Angela - Yes!! Excellent month for you. Congratulations.

Hi Annette - It’s great to have you join us. I hope you enjoy the book, it’s one of my favourites of Dr. McDougall. I’ve reposted a welcome post from the staff dietician, Jeff Novick, below. It has a list of recommended reading for anyone new to the program and a video lecture on the basics of how changing the average calorie density of your diet will lead to sustainable weight loss. Please let me know if you have any questions. There are many knowledgeable people hanging about happy to pass on their knowledge and experience with the program.

JeffN wrote:Greetings everyone!

Welcome to the March Weigh-In Thread for Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program. This weekly weigh-in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. The McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program is for those who have trouble losing weight and/or are volume eaters.

***If you are not familiar with the programs and their guidelines, check out these links...***

The Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines - Long Version
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... ushing.htm

Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines - The Quick Start Guide
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620&start=150#p578019

The McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program is based on the principles of calorie density. Here is a full 80 minute presentation on the topic:

Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less & Live Longer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg

For the volume eater:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... 100vol.htm

Clickable List of MWL recipes from McDougall Newsletters
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10076

Some forum members have found it helpful to keep a daily journal of what they eat each day and their activity. If you would like to do so, you can create a journal here. When you click on the link, you can also see several of the current journals.

viewforum.php?f=52

Looking forward to a successful March for all of you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

In Health
Jeff

ShortnSweet - LOL! I love it. Thank you for the link to that interview with Dr. Lisle. It will take a few days of close adherence to the guidelines to have those feelings of cravings feel more manageable. You’ve got this! (I’m glad the bunk bed debacle did not end in disaster)

CmWann - That’s the right attitude. Figure out where improvements can be made and keep at it. XO.

Sirdle - Welcome home. Great loss for a vacation! That is some serious dedication to the plan. It sounds like you had a lovely vacation, did you and your wife have any favourite destinations?

Belana - Best wishes these next couple of weeks. Congratulations on how far you have come. I should save this for next week, but:
We can celebrate the additional loss with an even fancier picture...LOL.
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby LLP » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:39 am

My weight is the same this week. I have started to lift weights (the last few weeks) so I'm not sure if I'm gaining some muscle and losing some fat or just staying the same. July 4th was mostly a good food day until the end when I ate a bunch of roasted marshmallows. I felt so icky afterwards.

Back on track though.

Liz
LLP

Postby Rosey » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:30 am

HUGS!!!. Everyone. I'm back and ready to do this again. Doctors had to fix some major issues last month for me. My swelling got worse and my blood pressure sky rocketed. They decided that the swelling is because I was damaging my kidneys with the sodas I've drank for years and was having troubles getting off of. They gave me a migraine med to help me kick the caffeine part of the soda habit and some blood pressure meds <these were because when I went in the other day it was 178/112> that are also a diuretic and I'm feeling much better. I had got bad enough my migraines were making it so I couldn't even look at the screen which is why you haven't seen me on here for a little bit. Thank you to those that checked in on me. starting fresh 280.7lbs yesterday morning.
Rosey

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program